• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbies in Moderation

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets not complicate this issue.

I am not suggesting this forum is coming to an end. Common sense would also suggest that nobody read all posts for quality. All I suggested was either remove the moderation of newbies for 1st posts or find a better method to avoid throttling newbies unnecessarily. Sibeiking suggested giving mods and those with high points to help you clear those under moderation which I thought was a valid point.

Appreciate the answer on not disclosing the formula and the vets are aware of your experimentation over the years.

Discussions regarding how a forum should be managed are no different from those surrounding how a coach should select his team or how a referee should have handled an incident.Everybody has an opinion. Everybody thinks they could do better if they were in charge. :pI've heard it all before... get more mods.. allow this.. concentrate on that.. disallow this.. ban that.. ignore that..I've been doing this shit job for 14 years. I've pretty much fine tuned my methods so that the forum is running the way I feel it should. Am I wrong sometimes? Of course I am. I make changes when I realise something isn't working and fine tune things if I think they could work but are not quite ending up the way I want.At the end of the day, this forum is still one of the longest surviving sites on the net. I've outlasted soc.culture.singapore, sintercom, temasekreview, countless sammyboy.com duplicates etc so I can't be that incompetent. :biggrin:The death of this forum has been predicted hundreds of times over but the traffic is still respectable considering the competition that's out there today.When I started, there were no personal blogs, no facebook, no political sites where people could post their views. Yet, despite the fact that there are now probably hundreds of blogs, political party websites, sph forums etc where people could add their two cents worth of opinion but yet a sizeable number still choose sammyboy.I too am amazed that this is the case.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Ic but ordinary member or maybe all other members don;t have that.

I did introduce it but it was abused. There used to be the same 15 minute window for everyone but it can be easily be bypassed and the "edited by...." tag removed.

This makes the system open to abuse as people can then change what they said without an audit trail. It would be frustrating for those who responded to a post and then found it was changed 100%.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sibeiking suggested giving mods and those with high points to help you clear those under moderation which I thought was a valid point.

It's an excellent suggestion and would be implemented if I could find someone who can run the place with the same detached attitude that I can.

In reality, very few mods would pass a message that contained a torrent of abuse directed towards them. I'm one of the very few who can simply ignore this sort of stuff along with members who put "sam leong is a cheebye kia ang moh cocksucker.. blah blah blah..etc" in their signature. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why half education is dangerous. The thread is about less moderation and not more moderation. Notice that only Jah and you have difficulty comprehending simple posts. Everyone understood what Erection meant except the village idiot. As I said it before, no one can fault you on grammar. Everything else is a whole different issue.
Allowing too much moderating and infracting powers may be counterproductive. There's the longstanding weakness of longstanding forummers getting personal and abusing powers exactly because they're longstanding and it's not possible to have all friends here, there'd be a camp of enemies too..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, what did Windsor do to you? I am sure he and all of us are confused to the origin of this animosity. The ban was consequent of you going apeshit on him. But what triggered it? Was there a pm or did we miss the post/s ?
Ehh CB Kia Windsor, you banned me for my post in Open Section, so...FUCK YOU!!!!! OK??!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Dun talk lanjiao words and act like a gentleman :oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

Doubblur

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's an excellent suggestion and would be implemented if I could find someone who can run the place with the same detached attitude that I can.

In reality, very few mods would pass a message that contained a torrent of abuse directed towards them. I'm one of the very few who can simply ignore this sort of stuff along with members who put "sam leong is a cheebye kia ang moh cocksucker.. blah blah blah..etc" in their signature. :biggrin:

I think this is good suggestion too. Remember two months back I was waiting for weeks for clear moderation. Luckily me old man in no hurry.

Where to find so many things to post? Where to find so many to things posts to earn points? Sibeiking complained about 57 hours. I think it was 57 days in my case.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously, what did Windsor do to you? I am sure he and all of us are confused to the origin of this animosity. The ban was consequent of you going apeshit on him. But what triggered it? Was there a pm or did we miss the post/s ?
Why should I explain to you when u keep siding him from the beginning and too lazy to search around? Same goes to you, did I offended you 1st? I dun anyhow bark at somebody unless they bite me 1st. If that CB kia Windsor is just a normal noob samster without the mod status, I treat his comments as shits and dun even bother to reply.

Do you think I enjoyed banning and infract people? I did it to him because I know he will respond using his mod status and punish me. He enjoys the power and he prove it.

Do you know he even threaten to minus my points to half? Are you so fucking blind Mr Screwball? Or you still defending him? Hahaha

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This forum's trademark is it's liberalism and it's longetivity I suspect is due to the lack of a nanny state mindset. So a conventional mod who is associated with watching over content and off topic issue may not be relevant. Consider a role reversal if the toolset settings allow it. Grant the current mods and those with 700 points to remove accounts from moderation. You might not get discipline straight away, but every bit helps. Most people with something between the ears can spot a spambot posting a mile away. You might end up with either a longer sleep-in, dog walk or breakfast or all of it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually you were one of the catalyst that triggered this thread. I recalled how you asked for help on how to use some of the features. You were not shy to ask and you persevered.
I think this is good suggestion too. Remember two months back I was waiting for weeks for clear moderation. Luckily me old man in no hurry.Where to find so many things to post? Where to find so many to things posts to earn points? Sibeiking complained about 57 hours. I think it was 57 days in my case.

Doubblur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually you were one of the catalyst that triggered this thread. I recalled how you asked for help on how to use some of the features. You were not shy to ask and you persevered.

Of course I asked for help. Otherwise I'd just leave. Only Drifter and a few others helped me. Why did I come? Why did I want to stay and asked for help to stay? I like many topics and forummers here since I surfed by here in PE. Catalyst, I think I'm not. That appeal to Drifter for help was incidental in another thread when my reply to Drifter was delayed for moderation and feeling quite fustrated. I never started a thread like this to appeal for help. I'm an old uncle, but in no hurry. It's alright too if nobody helped me. I'd just go downstairs and drink coffee. Come back and check later. I've through an era of sea mail.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

in my opinion, and this after years in cyberspace and online forums, it is moronic and cyberly unethical for mods to single out members who have chalked up gazillion points and/or rep power and target them for neutralization. after all, if the system allows the accumulation of virtual power, money, points, trophies, badges, coins, gold, medals, whatever, it is dishonest and disingenuous for any mod with lower accolades to target a fellow member with higher accolades or arseshit for moderation via power and privileges inadvertently accorded to a mod. if the mod is afraid of said member's growing power and increasing influence and decides to act speculatively and pre-emptively, he becomes the bigger alleged monster himself. this is no game of risk. fear and paranoia of letting an alleged evil growing out of control lead to one becoming the very evil itself.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Of course I asked for help. Otherwise I'd just leave. Only Drifter and a few others helped me. Why did I come? Why did I want to stay and asked for help to stay? I like many topics and forummers here since I surfed by here in PE.

This is what happened to you....

You posted 6 messages on 1 Sep 2011. All went to the moderation queue as you were a new account.

The automated script took a look at you and decided after x number of hours that you were not a spam bot and you were released from moderation. You could have actually started posting without delay on X Sep 2011... I assure you it was a very short time.

However, because 6 of your messages had ended up in moderation, you assumed that the forum was crap or victimising you for some reason and did not post again until 8 NOV 2011!!!!

Had you just carried on posting normally and ignored the moderation, you'd have been up and running 2 months earlier.

If I had a solution to this problem, I'd definitely implement it. However, as I said earlier, I have to rely on a degree of automation to do the job or I'd be bogged down for hours trying to make judgement calls.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
judgment, not judgement. i'm a nitpicker on spelling. you can take care of advice vs. advise. i'll corner the judgment vs. judgement market. apple spell check allows judgement, which is moronic.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
if the mod is afraid of said member's growing power and increasing influence and decides to act speculatively and pre-emptively, he becomes the bigger alleged monster himself. this is no game of risk. fear and paranoia of letting an alleged evil growing out of control lead to one becoming the very evil itself.

Besides me, everyone has feelings.

Look what LKY did to those who crossed his path.

The best mods are those who don't participate in the forum at all. They operate quietly in the background without the emotional overtones which result from being in the thick of the action participating in the forum.

I used to have a couple of such guys in Delphi but they have since moved on to better things. I'm stuck with my own baby which I keep going simply because it's mine.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you imagine how many left because they did not try and try again. Look at people like Golden Dragon, same story and how he enriched and contributed within a short span of time. Many people don't have the patience and being new feel shy about asking for help. Force 136 is another forummer with a variation. I recall that he does not post occasionally but when he does it is with substance. Someone zapped him and he went into moderation. Zeddy is another example of someone who contributes well. I just hope we can find a better way. I do apprecate Sam's efforts.
Of course I asked for help. Otherwise I'd just leave. Only Drifter and a few others helped me. Why did I come? Why did I want to stay and asked for help to stay? I like many topics and forummers here since I surfed by here in PE. Catalyst, I think I'm not. That appeal to Drifter for help was incidental in another thread when my reply to Drifter was delayed for moderation and feeling quite fustrated. I never started a thread like this to appeal for help. I'm an old uncle, but in no hurry. It's alright too if nobody help me. I'll just go downstairs and drink coffee. Come back and check later. I've through an era of sea mail.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Can you imagine how many left because they did not try and try again. Look at people like Golden Dragon, same story and how he enriched and contributed within a short span of time. Many people don't have the patience and being new feel shy about asking for help. Force 136 is another forummer with a variation. I recall that he does not post occasionally but when he does it is with substance. Someone zapped him and he went into moderation. Zeddy is another example of someone who contributes well. I just hope we can find a better way. I do apprecate Sam's efforts.

I guess the moderation thing also does a good job of weeding out the shrinking violets then.:p

I understand where you're coming from but then EVERYONE who signed up for an account since Sept 2008 has gone through the same process and thousands weren't deterred by a slight delay at the beginning so it works both ways.