• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He died for me... At Calvary I died with Him.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galatians 2:20 NIV

And a woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years, and could not be healed by anyone, came up behind Him and touched the fringe of His cloak, and immediately her hemorrhage stopped.

And Jesus said, "Who is the one who touched Me?" Jesus said, "Someone did touch Me, for I was aware that power had gone out of Me."

When the woman saw that she had not escaped notice, she came trembling and fell down before Him, and declared in the presence of all the people the reason why she had touched Him, and how she had been immediately healed.

And He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace."

Luke 8:43-48 NASB

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Colossians 1:16:17 KJV

God, Whose grace is all sufficient, be glorified!

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.”

John 5:8

Like many others, the impotent man had been waiting for a wonder to be wrought, and a sign to be given. Wearily did he watch the pool, but no angel came, or came not for him; yet, thinking it to be his only chance, he waited still, and knew not that there was One near him whose word could heal him in a moment. Many are in the same plight: they are waiting for some singular emotion, remarkable impression, or celestial vision; they wait in vain and watch for nought.

Even supposing that, in a few cases, remarkable signs are seen, yet these are rare, and no man has a right to look for them in his own case; no man especially who feels his impotency to avail himself of the moving of the water even if it came. It is a very sad reflection that tens of thousands are now waiting in the use of means, and ordinances, and vows, and resolutions, and have so waited time out of mind, in vain, utterly in vain. Meanwhile these poor souls forget the present Saviour, who bids them look unto him and be saved. He could heal them at once, but they prefer to wait for an angel and a wonder.

To trust him is the sure way to every blessing, and he is worthy of the most implicit confidence; but unbelief makes them prefer the cold porches of Bethesda to the warm bosom of his love. O that the Lord may turn his eye upon the multitudes who are in this case to-night; may he forgive the slights which they put upon his divine power, and call them by that sweet constraining voice, to rise from the bed of despair, and in the energy of faith take up their bed and walk. O Lord, hear our prayer for all such at this calm hour of sunset, and ere the day breaketh may they look and live.

Courteous reader, is there anything in this portion for you?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Stranger and The Message

A few years ago on a late Spring day a soft wind, like the softness of a baby's sigh, was blowing through the trees in the park. I went there that day not expecting anything more than just a few moments of solitude. Oh, there were a few people there doing various things and the usual scurrying of the resident squirrels; but overall, it was fairly quiet. I was a little surprised with myself. I didn't usually go to the park alone, but I felt no apprehension going and being there alone that day. I had spent all morning at work and for some reason, I'm not certain of, I decided to take the afternoon off to go to the park.

As I sat there at the picnic table, I watched two squirrels playing on a nearby tree. I wondered what it would be like to live such a seemingly, carefree life as they. Those two squirrels appeared to belong together, a bond was there, they belonged with each other. Oh how I wished I had that sense of belonging in my life. As a child, and into adulthood, I didn't feel like I was where I was suppose to be. The parent-child bond was there for me; but, I had always felt like there was something missing in my life. I took a deep breath, slowly exhaling, and watched the two squirrels run off to play elsewhere.

I was so immersed in my thoughts and feelings that I did not hear my visitor approach my table.

"Excuse me Miss, could I sit here with you?" asked the elderly man, his voice barely above a whisper. Oddly, I wasn't surprised that he approached me and had no problem with granting his request. I smiled and motioned for him to be seated.

He sat across from me, his hands clasped in front of him, resting on the table, he had such a calm expression on his face. I saw a familiarity in that old man's eyes but I couldn't place him, and was certain I had never seen or met him before. It seems like we sat there for the longest time, each looking at the other with a slight smile and an aura of peace about us. Across from me sat a stranger, but not a stranger, or so it seemed.

He broke the silence by saying to me, "We all belong even when we don't feel like we do. We all have a place to go."

I was taken back by his words and said, "I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say."

"Even as a child, you've felt that way." He replied and explained to me.

I was stunned and could not speak, but still felt no apprehension due to his words or his presence. He extended his hand, so warm and soft, and gently laid it upon my clasped hands. He squeezed my hands with that hand and said, "He wants you to come home."

And with that, he slowly rose to his feet and left. I sat there for hours, stunned. I thought about what he had said the rest of the day, and for days thereafter, but eventually I filed his words away. I never truly listened to the words of that stranger; at least, not until the day of my father's funeral four years later.

Daddy was raised Catholic, as were my siblings, and I was baptized Catholic as a newborn. It seemed only natural to have a priest at his funeral. As I sat before daddy's coffin I saw the priest; but, did not hear his voice or words spoken. Although the priest and the stranger in the park were not the same man, I heard that whisper of a voice of the stranger and remembered his calm expression and the gentleness in his eyes. Those words spoken to me four years prior I heard once again.

This time I 'listened' to the words, to the message that stranger delivered to me that day in the park.

"He wants you to come home."

About a month or so after daddy's funeral, I inquired and signed for the RCIA program at the parish where I was baptized as a newborn. I had made it to the place where I belonged, in God's loving embrace.

I realized there's a difference between 'hearing' and 'listening'...finally... I 'listened' to the message from the stranger...and now... I'm home.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Lord is a Warrior!
To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Revelation 3:21 NIV

Follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses

1 Timothy 6:11,12 KJV

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Ephesians 6:10-13 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the field ... let us see if the vine flourish.”

Song of Solomon 7:11,12

The church was about to engage in earnest labour, and desired her Lord's company in it. She does not say, “I will go,” but “let us go.” It is blessed working when Jesus is at our side! It is the business of God's people to be trimmers of God's vines. Like our first parents, we are put into the garden of the Lord for usefulness; let us therefore go forth into the field. Observe that the church, when she is in her right mind, in all her many labours desires to enjoy communion with Christ. Some imagine that they cannot serve Christ actively, and yet have fellowship with him: they are mistaken.

Doubtless it is very easy to fritter away our inward life in outward exercises, and come to complain with the spouse, “They made me keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept:” but there is no reason why this should be the case except our own folly and neglect. Certain is it that a professor may do nothing, and yet grow quite as lifeless in spiritual things as those who are most busy. Mary was not praised for sitting still; but for her sitting at Jesus’ feet. Even so, Christians are not to be praised for neglecting duties under the pretence of having secret fellowship with Jesus: it is not sitting, but sitting at Jesus’ feet which is commendable.

Do not think that activity is in itself an evil: it is a great blessing, and a means of grace to us. Paul called it a grace given to him to be allowed to preach; and every form of Christian service may become a personal blessing to those engaged in it. Those who have most fellowship with Christ are not recluses or hermits, who have much time to spare, but indefatigable labourers who are toiling for Jesus, and who, in their toil, have him side by side with them, so that they are workers together with God. Let us remember then, in anything we have to do for Jesus, that we can do it, and should do it in close communion with him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Power over sin!
What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Romans 7:24,25 NIV

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 6:6,14 KJV

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5:16 RSV

If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.

John 8:31b,32 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I sleep, but my heart waketh.”

Song of Solomon 5:2

Paradoxes abound in Christian experience, and here is one—the spouse was asleep, and yet she was awake. He only can read the believer's riddle who has ploughed with the heifer of his experience. The two points in this evening's text are — a mournful sleepiness and a hopeful wakefulness. I sleep. Through sin that dwelleth in us we may become lax in holy duties, slothful in religious exercises, dull in spiritual joys, and altogether supine and careless. This is a shameful state for one in whom the quickening Spirit dwells; and it is dangerous to the highest degree. Even wise virgins sometimes slumber, but it is high time for all to shake off the bands of sloth.

It is to be feared that many believers lose their strength as Samson lost his locks, while sleeping on the lap of carnal security. With a perishing world around us, to sleep is cruel; with eternity so near at hand, it is madness. Yet we are none of us so much awake as we should be; a few thunder-claps would do us all good, and it may be, unless we soon bestir ourselves, we shall have them in the form of war, or pestilence, or personal bereavements and losses. O that we may leave for ever the couch of fleshly ease, and go forth with flaming torches to meet the coming Bridegroom!

My heart waketh. This is a happy sign. Life is not extinct, though sadly smothered. When our renewed heart struggles against our natural heaviness, we should be grateful to sovereign grace for keeping a little vitality within the body of this death. Jesus will hear our hearts, will help our hearts, will visit our hearts; for the voice of the wakeful heart is really the voice of our Beloved, saying, “Open to me.” Holy zeal will surely unbar the door.

“Oh lovely attitude! He stands
With melting heart and laden hands;
My soul forsakes her every sin;
And lets the heavenly stranger in.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Does The Bible Say About Dreams And Visions?

Many people claim to have had a vision or dream from God, so how can we know for sure that it is from God?

Interpreting Dreams
There is a lot about dreams and visions in the Bible and one of the first occurrences of a dream being interpreted is from Joseph who was thrown into prison after being falsely accused, and while there, “the cupbearer and the baker of the king of Egypt, who were confined in the prison—each his own dream, and each dream with its own interpretation” (Gen 40:5). After asking about the dreams, Joseph asked them a rhetorical question, “Do not interpretations belong to God” (Gen 40:8)?

The obvious answer is God interprets the dreams and not Joseph or any man. I have not seen a Scripture where a man interprets the dream or dreams of another but only with God’s help. Pharaoh also had a dream “but there was none who could interpret them to Pharaoh” (Gen 41:8), so the cupbearer told Pharaoh, “A young Hebrew was there with us, a servant of the captain of the guard. When we told him, he interpreted our dreams to us, giving an interpretation to each man according to his dream” (Gen 41:12), so Joseph said to Pharaoh after he had a vision, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do” (Gen 41:25), and so Joseph interpreted Pharaoh’s dream but only with the help of God could he possibly have understood them.

Visions and Dreams
The Bible speaks about visions and dreams to occur in the latter days like with Joel the Prophet who wrote, “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh”(which happened on the Day of Pentecost), and “your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions” (Joel 2:28). God did pour out His Spirit on the Day of Pentecost and some had visions like the Apostle Peter’s vision about the unclean foods, which was God’s way of telling him that the Gentiles are to no longer be considered unclean. The Apostle Paul had “a vision of a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight” (Acts 9:12), and that’s what happened, but Ananias wasn’t the source of this vision, as we clearly read in Scripture that it was from God, so it was never the figment of any person’s imagination, but rather, it was sent intentionally by God and for a very specific purpose.

Even so, many claim to have had a dream or vision from God, but the Bible says “when dreams increase and words grow many, there is vanity; but God is the one you must fear” (Eccl 5:7), so fear of God and His Word trumps the dreams and visions anyone claims to have or has actually had. The Word of God is objective truth while dreams and visions are subjective and speculative, and why would God reveal His will in dreams and visions when His will is already revealed in Scripture? Any dream or vision should always be placed against the Word to see if it matches God’s purposes and will, and if it doesn’t, it was likely something they ate…or it could be from the Enemy.

Tests from God
The Old Testament has several references to those who have dreams and says in Deuteronomy 31:1-3, “If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,” and “if the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, ‘Let us go after other gods,’ which you have not known, ‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the Lord your God is testing you, to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,” and worse, “that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has taught rebellion against the LORD your God” (Deut 13:5). The penalty for giving a false vision or dream was death in the Old Testament because God sees that as an attempt to speak for Him when God has already spoken in the last days through His Son (Heb 1:1-2), and by the Scriptures already delivered to the saints (Jude 1:3).

That’s how God feels about people who claim to have a dream or vision from God when it clearly is not. God doesn’t use visions or dreams as the normative but rather He points us to Scripture, saying “You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice, and you shall serve him and hold fast to him” (Deut 13:4). Of course, God can send dreams or visions to whomever He wills, but again, this is not the typical and anything that is said to be dreamt or seen in a vision must be according to Scripture or it’s not from God.

Conclusion
If you or someone you know has claimed to have had a vision or dream from God, Jeremiah the Prophet warns them (and us) that God is “against those who prophesy lying dreams, declares the Lord, and who tell them and lead my people astray by their lies and their recklessness, when I did not send them or charge them. So they do not profit this people at all, declares the Lord” (Jer 23:32). Today, there are even “prophets” who “are prophesying lies in my name. I did not send them, nor did I command them or speak to them. They are prophesying to you a lying vision, worthless divination, and the deceit of their own minds” (Jer 14:14).

Many men in the Bible did have dreams and visions like Ezekiel, Daniel, the Apostle John (in Revelation), but these are recorded in Scripture and are part of Scripture, and God was always the source of their writings, including their visons or dreams. Today, do we really need visions and dreams to put a “PS” to God’s Word? God may use a dream to try and tell you something, but unless it is scriptural, it is just a dream and dreams are so random that we can’t put any real stock in them. God is using dreams and can still use visions, but that is the rarest of exceptions from what I’ve read and heard. We are best served to put our trust in the Word and we will never have any doubt as to the way and the truth and the life (John 14:6).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What do you hear?

A Native American and his friend were in downtown New York City, walking near Times Square in Manhattan. It was during the noon lunch hour and the streets were filled with people. Cars were honking their horns, taxicabs were squealing around corners, sirens were wailing, and the sounds of the city were almost deafening. Suddenly, the Native American said, "I hear a cricket."

His friend said, "What? You must be crazy. You couldn't possibly hear a cricket in all of this noise!"

"No, I'm sure of it," the Native American said, "I heard a cricket."

"That's crazy," said the friend.

The Native American listened carefully for a moment, and then walked across the street to a big cement planter where some shrubs were growing. He looked into the bushes, beneath the branches, and sure enough, he located a small cricket. His friend was utterly amazed.

"That's incredible," said his friend. "You must have super-human ears!"

"No," said the Native American. "My ears are no different from yours. It all depends on what you're listening for."

"But that can't be!" said the friend. "I could never hear a cricket in this noise."

"Yes, it's true," came the reply. "It depends on what is really important to you. Here, let me show you."

He reached into his pocket, pulled out a few coins, and discreetly dropped them on the sidewalk. And then, with the noise of the crowded street still blaring in their ears, they noticed every head within twenty feet turn and look to see if the money that tinkled on the pavement was theirs.

"See what I mean?" asked the Native American. "It all depends on what's important to you."

As Jesus tells the Pharisees in the Gospel, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar, but give to God what is God's."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Satisfied with His Goodness
I myself will tend my sheep
and have them lie down,
declares the Sovereign LORD.

Ezekiel 34:15 NIV

They shall be abundantly satisfied
with the fatness of thy house;
and thou shalt make them drink
of the river of thy pleasures.

For with thee is the fountain of life:
in thy light shall we see light.

Psalm 34:8,9 KJV

And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Ephesians 4:11-13 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”

John 1:14

Believer, you can bear your testimony that Christ is the only begotten of the Father, as well as the first begotten from the dead. You can say, “He is divine to me, if he be human to all the world beside. He has done that for me which none but a God could do. He has subdued my stubborn will, melted a heart of adamant, opened gates of brass, and snapped bars of iron. He hath turned for me my mourning into laughter, and my desolation into joy; he hath led my captivity captive, and made my heart rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory. Let others think as they will of him, to me he must be the only begotten of the Father: blessed be his name.

And he is full of grace. Ah! had he not been I should never have been saved. He drew me when I struggled to escape from his grace; and when at last I came all trembling like a condemned culprit to his mercy-seat he said, ‘Thy sins which are many are all forgiven thee: be of good cheer.’ And he is full of truth. True have his promises been, not one has failed. I bear witness that never servant had such a master as I have; never brother such a kinsman as he has been to me; never spouse such a husband as Christ has been to my soul; never sinner a better Saviour; never mourner a better comforter than Christ hath been to my spirit. I want none beside him.

In life he is my life, and in death he shall be the death of death; in poverty Christ is my riches; in sickness he makes my bed; in darkness he is my star, and in brightness he is my sun; he is the manna of the camp in the wilderness, and he shall be the new corn of the host when they come to Canaan. Jesus is to me all grace and no wrath, all truth and no falsehood: and of truth and grace he is full, infinitely full. My soul, this night, bless with all thy might ‘the only Begotten.’

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There she is, I see her now.
Go to her—But when and how?
She is ready, alone she waits…..
“Please don’t let it be too late.”

“Excuse me miss, How do you do?”
I’m sorry sir, I don’t know you,
“I’ve come to give you all my love,
I am your angel from above.”

I know your pain, I feel it too.
That’s why I’m here— to save you.
Please don’t laugh, it’s not a joke.
God heard you every time you spoke..

If you’re an angel, why no wings?
“I traded them for the love I bring.”
My precious one, you can’t yet see…..
I don’t need wings, have faith in me.

Don’t be afraid of what you feel.
Look at me, for I am real.
Be careful what you wish—some say,
Sent from Heaven, I’m here to stay.

In your eyes I see disbelief..
Come with me, I’ll show you peace.
“I don’t understand, how can it be,
that an angel brings his love to me?”

Take my hand and walk with me.
I’ll show you now how it can be.
But when you wake you must forget,
I am the angel Heaven sent.

You’ll see a man without his wings,
You’ll feel my love and many things.
And yet somehow you’ll always sense,
an angel in your presence.

This story does not have an end,
but this is how our love began.
I can’t explain, but it did seem….
I found an angel missing wings.

So happy now and I realize,
God sent an angel in disguise.
He made me want to live again,
it was an angel he did send.

I feel so loved, it’s like a dream.
At night, I hear the angels sing.
And when I lay me down to sleep,
I know that love has brought me peace.

I look at him and I could swear,
I see an angel standing there”.
“I look at her and what I see,
Is all the love come back to me.”

I know he said I would forget,
I owe my life to the day we met.
And I thank God for I do know,
I have an angel to behold…….

“The only thing that I regret…..
We lost the time before we met.”
But good things come to those who wait,
And what we have is by God’s fate.

I use to hope and pray and wish,
that I would find a love like this.
From where he comes, I do not know….
But God sent me a miracle.

All those years I could not see,
I did not know God’s plan for me.
Then just before I closed my eyes,
he sent an angel from the sky.

Excuse me miss, How do you do?
I said that when I first met you.
“And I recall one other thing….”
I asked you why you had no wings.

I smiled at her and then I said,
“No honey, that’s just in your head.
She looked at me and said— okay…
But—Heaven sent me an angel that day.

I kissed a whisper in her ear,
My love, there is an angel here…..
He loves you more than anything,
I am your angel without wings………………………

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Accepting Criticism
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Proverbs 9:9,10 NIV

A wise son accepts his father's discipline,
But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.

Proverbs 13:1 NASB

Consider Jesus' example:

"and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously"

1 Peter 2:23 NASB

And remember...

A soft answer turneth away wrath:
but grievous words stir up anger.

The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright:
but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.

Proverbs 15:1,2 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Only be thou strong and very courageous.”

Joshua 1:7

Our God's tender love for his servants makes him concerned for the state of their inward feelings. He desires them to be of good courage. Some esteem it a small thing for a believer to be vexed with doubts and fears, but God thinks not so. From this text it is plain that our Master would not have us entangled with fears. He would have us without carefulness, without doubt, without cowardice. Our Master does not think so lightly of our unbelief as we do. When we are desponding we are subject to a grievous malady, not to be trifled with, but to be carried at once to the beloved Physician.

Our Lord loveth not to see our countenance sad. It was a law of Ahasuerus that no one should come into the king's court dressed in mourning: this is not the law of the King of kings, for we may come mourning as we are; but still he would have us put off the spirit of heaviness, and put on the garment of praise, for there is much reason to rejoice. The Christian man ought to be of a courageous spirit, in order that he may glorify the Lord by enduring trials in an heroic manner. If he be fearful and fainthearted, it will dishonour his God. Besides, what a bad example it is.

This disease of doubtfulness and discouragement is an epidemic which soon spreads amongst the Lord's flock. One downcast believer makes twenty souls sad. Moreover, unless your courage is kept up Satan will be too much for you. Let your spirit be joyful in God your Saviour, the joy of the Lord shall be your strength, and no fiend of hell shall make headway against you: but cowardice throws down the banner. Moreover, labour is light to a man of cheerful spirit; and success waits upon cheerfulness. The man who toils, rejoicing in his God, believing with all his heart, has success guaranteed. He who sows in hope shall reap in joy; therefore, dear reader, “be thou strong, and very courageous.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Washed My Feet

Supper was special that night.
There was both a heaviness and a holiness
hanging in the air.
We couldn’t explain the mood.
It was sacred, yet sorrowful.
Gathered around that table
eating that solemn, holy meal
seemed to us the most important meal
we had ever sat down to eat.

We were dwelling in the heart of MYSTERY.
Though dark the night,
Hope felt right—
as if something evil
was about to be conquered.

And then suddenly
the One-Who-Loved startled us all.
He got up from the table
and put on an apron.
Can you imagine how we felt?

GOD IN AN APRON!

Tenderness encircled us
as He bowed before us.
He knelt and said,
“I choose to wash your feet
because I love you.”

God in an apron, kneeling.
I couldn’t believe my eyes.
I was embarrassed
until His eyes met mine.
I sensed my value then.
He touched my feet.
He held them in His strong, brown hands.
He washed them.
I can still feel the water.
I can still feel the touch of His hands.
I can still see the look in His eyes.

Then He handed me the towel
and said,
“As I have done,
so you must do.”
Learn to bow.
Learn to kneel.

Let your tenderness encircle
everyone you meet.
Wash their feet–
not because you have to–
but because you want to.

It seems I’ve stood two thousand years
holding that towel in my hands.
“As I have done, so must you do,”
keeps echoing in my heart.

“There are so many feet to wash,”
I keep saying.
“No.”
I hear God’s voice
resounding through the years.
“There are only My feet.
What you do for them,
you do for Me.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Are We Making Disciples?
In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!

Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 5:12-14 NIV

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Matthew 28:19,20 KJV

So the word of the LORD to them will be,
"Order on order, order on order,
Line on line, line on line,
A little here, a little there,"

That they may go and stumble backward,
be broken, snared and taken captive.

Isaiah 28:13 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Fear not to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of thee a great nation: I will go down with thee into Egypt; and I will also surely bring thee up again.”

Genesis 46:3,4

Jacob must have shuddered at the thought of leaving the land of his father's sojourning, and dwelling among heathen strangers. It was a new scene, and likely to be a trying one: who shall venture among couriers of a foreign monarch without anxiety? Yet the way was evidently appointed for him, and therefore he resolved to go. This is frequently the position of believers now—they are called to perils and temptations altogether untried: at such seasons let them imitate Jacob's example by offering sacrifices of prayer unto God, and seeking his direction; let them not take a step until they have waited upon the Lord for his blessing: then they will have Jacob's companion to be their friend and helper.

How blessed to feel assured that the Lord is with us in all our ways, and condescends to go down into our humiliations and banishments with us! Even beyond the ocean our Father's love beams like the sun in its strength. We cannot hesitate to go where Jehovah promises his presence; even the valley of deathshade grows bright with the radiance of this assurance. Marching onwards with faith in their God, believers shall have Jacob's promise. They shall be brought up again, whether it be from the troubles of life or the chambers of death. Jacob's seed came out of Egypt in due time, and so shall all the faithful pass unscathed through the tribulation of life, and the terror of death.

Let us exercise Jacob's confidence. “Fear not,” is the Lord's command and his divine encouragement to those who at his bidding are launching upon new seas; the divine presence and preservation forbid so much as one unbelieving fear. Without our God we should fear to move; but when he bids us to, it would be dangerous to tarry. Reader, go forward, and fear not

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Short Trip To Hell

I read this morning the story of the woman who wrote "Jerry not
Jim," and it brought back many memories for me.

I too, began a journey which now I can describe as a short trip
to hell. It was about 10 years ago. My husband is a pastor.
He's always been there for everyone's needs...with the exception
of mine. I was doing all the raising of our daughter, and he
was away like Superman saving the world. I was lonely. I was
self-centered and was working full-time at a university where
there are a lot of intelligent people (and predators).

It began innocently (as all of Satan's lies are). My boss was
lonely, and his wife was handicapped. I was in counseling
attempting to put pieces of a broken childhood together --
2 alcoholic parents, 1 of which was violent.

It quickly became sensual, overwhelming, physical, mentally
orgasmic, and I was hooked...or so I thought. Thankfully the
Lord doesn't let go of His own or toss us aside when we do the
same to Him. It lasted a year. When it was over I couldn't
believe I'd thought this relationship anything other than the
ugly desecration it was. I couldn't believe what I'd done. I
didn't even know who I'd become. But I began a longer journey
back to God AND my husband. It took me 3 years to confess to
him what I'm certain he already suspected. It's taken me
another 7 to become whole again, or rather broken but glued
back together.

As a ministry wife, I have used my circumstances on several
occasions as an encouragement to someone else who had done what
I'd done. I learned that God never wastes anything, allowing us
to be broken so that we can be used by Him. What I thought
were scraps of a life, God turned into a beautiful quilt. I
could never have understood the torment or misery someone else
was experiencing had I not crossed the line myself. I looked
down on people who had done such horrible things.

I've learned to be kinder to myself and much more compassionate
to others who fall. Shortly after confessing to my husband, I
made a "covenant" with him that I'd never again allow space to
come between us that could eventually be filled up with anything
else. I told him it would be uncomfortable sometimes, and
sometimes it is. I get in his face now, and we work through
things.

Please feel free to send this to “Mrs. Jerry.” What I share
with those I counsel now is that #1 she is not alone, #2 God
loves her, and #3 God will use this in her life. That’s
what I share with the few I counsel now.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pray. Pray. Pray.
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

And if we know that he hears us--whatever we ask--we know that we have what we asked of him.

1 John 5:14,15 NIV

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

James 5:14-16 KJV

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Matthew 6:5,6 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Thou art my portion, O Lord.”

Psalm 119:57

Look at thy possessions, O believer, and compare thy portion with the lot of thy fellowmen. Some of them have their portion in the field; they are rich, and their harvests yield them a golden increase; but what are harvests compared with thy God, who is the God of harvests? What are bursting granaries compared with him, who is the Husbandman, and feeds thee with the bread of heaven? Some have their portion in the city; their wealth is abundant, and flows to them in constant streams, until they become a very reservoir of gold; but what is gold compared with thy God? Thou couldst not live on it; thy spiritual life could not be sustained by it. Put it on a troubled conscience, and could it allay its pangs? Apply it to a desponding heart, and see if it could stay a solitary groan, or give one grief the less? But thou hast God, and in him thou hast more than gold or riches ever could buy.

Some have their portion in that which most men love—applause and fame; but ask thyself, is not thy God more to thee than that? What if a myriad clarions should be loud in thine applause, would this prepare thee to pass the Jordan, or cheer thee in prospect of judgment? No, there are griefs in life which wealth cannot alleviate; and there is the deep need of a dying hour, for which no riches can provide. But when thou hast God for thy portion, thou hast more than all else put together.

In him every want is met, whether in life or in death. With God for thy portion thou art rich indeed, for he will supply thy need, comfort thy heart, assuage thy grief, guide thy steps, be with thee in the dark valley, and then take thee home, to enjoy him as thy portion for ever. “I have enough,” said Esau; this is the best thing a worldly man can say, but Jacob replies, “I have all things,” which is a note too high for carnal minds.