• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Life through the One, Jesus Christ
This Christian life is a great mystery,
far exceeding our understanding,
but some things are clear enough:
He appeared in a human body,
was proved right by the invisible Spirit,
was seen by angels.

He was proclaimed among all kinds of peoples,
believed in all over the world,
taken up into heavenly glory.

1 Timothy 3:16 MSG

For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.

For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.

Romans 5:17-19 NASB

For Christ also suffered once for sins,
the just for the unjust,
that He might bring us to God,
being put to death in the flesh
but made alive by the Spirit,

1 Peter 3:18 NKJV

God, Whose grace is all sufficient, be glorified!

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Defeating Disappointments

One of the most important keys to living your best life now, as well as moving forward into the great future God has for you, is learning how to overcome the disappointments in life. Because disappointment can pose such formidable obstacles to letting go of the past, you need to be sure you have dealt with this area before taking the next step to living at your full potential.

thumbnail
Let’s be honest; all of us face disappointments from time to time. No matter how much faith you have or how good of a person you are, sooner or later, something (or somebody!) will shake your faith to its foundations. It may be something simple, such as not getting that promotion you really hoped for; not dosing the big sale that you worked on so hard; not qualifying for a loan to buy that house that you really wanted. Or, it may be something more serious—a marriage relationship falling apart, the death of a loved one, or an incurable, debilitating illness. Whatever it is, that disappointment possesses the potential to derail you and wreck your faith. That’s why it is vital that you recognize in advance that disappointments will come, and that you learn how to stay on track and deal with them when they do.

Often, defeating disappointments and letting go of the past are the flip sides of the same coin, especially when you are disappointed in yourself. When you do something wrong, don’t hold on to it and bear yourself up about it. Admit it, seek forgiveness, and move on. Be quick to let go of your mistakes and failures, hurts, pains, and sins.

The disappointments that disturb us the most, however, are usually those caused by other people. Many individuals who have been hurt by others are missing out on their new beginnings because they keep reopening old wounds. But no matter what we have gone through, no matter how unfair it was, or how disappointed we were, we must release it and let it go.

Somebody may have walked out on you. Somebody may have done you a great wrong. You may have prayed fervently for a loved one’s life to be saved, yet your loved one died. Leave that with God and go on with your life. The Bible says, “The secret things belong to God.” Leave them there.

Disappointments almost always accompany setbacks. When you suffer loss, of course you will feel strong emotions. Nobody expects you to be an impenetrable rock or an inaccessible island in the sea. Not even God expects you to be so tough that you simply ignore the disappointments in life, shrugging them off as though you are impervious to pain. No, when we experience failure or loss, it’s natural to feel remorse or sorrow. That’s the way God made us. If you lose your job, most likely you are going to experience a strong sense of disappointment. If you go through a broken relationship, that’s going to hurt. If you’ve ever lost a loved one, there’s a time of grieving, a time of sorrow. That is normal and to be expected.

But if you are still grieving and feeling sorrow over a disappointment that took place a year or more ago, something is wrong! You are hindering your future. You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, “I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.”

The enemy loves to deceive us into wallowing in self-pity, fretting, feeling sorry for ourselves, or having a chip on our shoulders. “Why did this happen to me? God must not love me. He doesn’t answer my prayers. Why did my marriage end in divorce? Why did my business not succeed? Why did I lose my loved one? Why didn’t things work out in my life?”

Such questions may be valid, and may even be helpful to consider for a season, but after that, quit wasting your time trying to figure out something that you can’t change. You can’t unscramble eggs. What’s done is done, let the past be the past and go on. So you’ve suffered some setbacks; you didn’t get what you were praying about; things didn’t go your way. Friend, you are not alone. Many fine, upstanding individuals have experienced something similar.

Backup Plans

Let’s be frank; sometimes, because of wrong choices, disobedience, or sin, we miss out on God’s “Plan A.” The good news is, God has a “Plan B,” a “Plan C.,” and whatever it takes to get us to His final destination for our lives.

Worse yet, maybe you weren’t the person who made the bad choices, but somebody else’s foolish decisions caused you to experience wrenching heartache and pain. Regardless, you must stop dwelling on it. Let the past be the past. Forgive the person who caused you the trouble and start afresh right where you are today. If you continue to dwell on those past disappointments, you will block God’s blessings in your life today. It’s simply not worth it.

The prophet Samuel suffered a horrible disappointment in his relationship with the first king of Israel, a man named Saul. As a young man, Saul was humble and shy.Then, at God’s direction, Samuel picked him out of the crowd and declared him to be the king of Israel. Samuel did his best to help Saul be a king who was pleasing unto God.

Unfortunately Saul refused to live in obedience to God, and God eventually rejected him as the king. Imagine how Samuel must have felt. Maybe you’ve invested a lot of time, effort, money, emotion, and energy in a relationship; you did your best to make it work out. But for some reason, things got off course, and now you feel as though you have been robbed.

That’s how Samuel must have felt. Devastated. Heartbroken. Disappointed. But as Samuel was nursing his wounded heart, God asked him an important question: “Samuel, how long are you going to mourn over Saul?” God is asking us similar questions today: “How long are you going to mourn over that failed relationship? How long are you going to mourn over your broken dreams?” That’s the problem with excessive mourning. When we focus on our disappointments, we stop God from bringing fresh new blessings into our lives.

God went on to tell Samuel, “Fill up your horn with oil and be on your way. I’m sending you to the house of Jesse for I have chosen one of his sons to be the new king.”In other words, God said, “Samuel, if you will quit mourning and get going, I’ll show you a new, better beginning.”

Remember, God always has another plan. Yes, Saul was God’s first choice, but when Saul wouldn’t walk in obedience, God didn’t say, “well, Samuel, I’m so sorry. Saul blew it and that ruins everything.” No, God always can come up with another plan. If you will stop feeling sorry for yourself and, instead, do what the Bible says, your future can be brighter than ever.

Notice what God told Samuel to do: Fill your horn with oil. Have a fresh new attitude. Put a smile on your face. Get the spring back in your step and be on your way.

Samuel could have said, “God, I just can’t do this. I’m too heartbroken. I gave so much of myself in that relationship and now it’s gone, wasted.”

But if Samuel would not have trusted God at that point, he might have missed King David, one of the greatest kings in the Bible. Similarly if we wallow in our disappointments, we risk missing out on the new things God wants to do in our lives. It’s time to get up and get going. God has another plan for you. And it is better than you can imagine!

My sister Lisa and her husband, Kevin, tried for years to have a baby, but Lisa could not conceive. She and Kevin longed to have a child, so Lisa tried all sorts of medical procedures, enduring a long, drawn-out process that included several operations, all to no avail. Finally her doctor said, “Lisa, let’s try one more surgery. Hopefullythis time it will help you to get pregnant.” So she went through that, and she and Kevin tried for another year or so, but she still couldn’t conceive.

At the end of that process, Lisa was exhausted, emotionally and physically drained. She went back to the doctor one more time to see if there was any possibility of her becoming pregnant, and the doctor offered no hope. “Lisa, I hate to tell you this,” he said, “but we’ve done everything we can possibly do. You’re just not going to be able to have a child.”

Lisa was heartbroken. She thought, God, we’ve endured all this time and effort. We tried so hard. We prayed and believed. We spent all this money. God, it’s all such a waste. It seems so unfair.

Sometimes we don’t understand why certain things don’t work out. I can’t tell you why one person is healed and another person is not, when they are both praying and believing and standing in faith. But we must get to that point where we trust God, even when we don’t understand Him. Some things we shouldn’t even try to figure out; we should let them alone and go on. God is in control. The Bible says, “God’s ways are higher and better than our ways.” God knows what He is doing. He knows what is best for us. And God always has another plan. If you’ll quit dwelling on your disappointments, God will show you what the plan is.

That’s exactly what Kevin and Lisa did. They finally came to the point where they said, “God, we’re putting this totally in Your hands. We’ve done everything we know to do. Yes, we’re disappointed, but we’re not going to be trapped in the past. We’re going to move on with our lives, knowing You are in control. You are a good God, andYou have good things in store for us.”

A few months later, they received a telephone call from a dear friend of ours, Nancy Alcorn. Nancy is the founder and president of Mercy Ministries of America, a ministry that takes care of young women at risk, including those dealing with premarital pregnancies. When a young woman gives birth to a baby and wishes to give up the child for adoption, Mercy Ministries helps place that child with a loving Christian husband and wife.

“Lisa, I don’t even know why I’m calling you,” Nancy said. “I normally would not do this, but we have a teenager who is about to give birth to twin girls, and we were just wondering if you and Kevin might be interested in adopting them? It may not work out, though. I know you and Kevin have all the other qualifications, but one of the birth mother’s stipulations is that her baby be placed in a family with twins in their background.”

Little did Nancy know that Kevin, Lisa’s husband, has a twin sister, and it was always his dream that he would one day raise twins. God answered the specific prayer of a young lady giving up her baby for adoption, while fulfilling a dream of Kevin’s and Lisa’s at the same time! A few months later, Lisa and Kevin were able to adopt, at childbirth, two beautiful baby girls. God had another plan!

But if Lisa had not been willing to let go of her own plan, if she had not been willing to get over her disappointments, I don’t believe God’s new plan would have opened up for her and Kevin.

Maybe you have put a lot of time, effort, and resources into your plan. You’ve prayed about it; you have believed. Maybe you have spent a lot of money. But now you can clearly see that the door is closing, and you are disappointed. You say, “God, how can I ever let go of this? It’s going to be such a waste. I put so much into it, and all I can see is failure.”

Right there is where you must dare to trust God, knowing that He has another plan, a better plan. He wants to do something new in your life. And you must let go of the old so you will be ready and able to receive the new plan God has for you. God will do more than you can even ask or think.

Recently, Kevin and Lisa adopted another child, a baby boy Lisa quipped, “How about that! God has given me three beautiful children, and I have not had to spend a single month being pregnant!”

We all encounter circumstances that can cause us to grow negative, bitter, or disappointed with ourselves or God. But I love what the apostle Paul said: “Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal.” In other words, Paul was saying, “I’m not going to dwell on yesterday’s disappointments or my past failures. I’m not going to think about what I would have done or should have done. I’m leaving all that behind, and I’m looking ahead for the good things God has in store for me.” That’s the kind of attitude we should have as well.

Every morning when you get up, refuse to dwell on what you did wrong the day before. Refuse to dwell on yesterday’s disappointments. Get up each day knowing that God is a loving and forgiving God, and He has great things in store for you.

Paul said, “I’m straining forward. I press toward the mark.” Those words imply a strong effort. It’s not always easy to get over some of those humps in the road, those disillusionments and disappointments. It’s going to take a strong will. Sometimes, it may take courage; sometimes nothing but faith in God and sheer determination will see you through. But you can say, “I refuse to be trapped in the past. I’m not going to let the past destroy my future. I’m pressing on. I’m straining forward, knowing that God has great things in store for me.”

When you make mistakes—and we all do—humble yourself and receive God’s forgiveness and mercy Be willing to forgive yourself. Don’t live in regret. Regret will only interfere with your faith. Faith must always be a present-tense reality, not a distant memory God will turn those disappointments around. He will take your scars and turn them into stars for His glory.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jesus: The Everliving One - Creator of All

Of old You laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.

They will perish, but You will endure;
Yes, they will all grow old like a garment;
Like a cloak You will change them,
And they will be changed.

But You are the same,
And Your years will have no end.

The children of Your servants will continue,
And their descendants will be established before You."

In the beginning was the one
who is called the Word.
The Word was with God
and was truly God.

From the very beginning
the Word was with God.

And with this Word,
God created all things.
Nothing was made
without the Word.

Everything that was created
received its life from him,
and his life gave light
to everyone.

John 1:1-4 CEV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I am the rose of Sharon.”

Song of Solomon 2:1

Whatever there may be of beauty in the material world, Jesus Christ possesses all that in the spiritual world in a tenfold degree. Amongst flowers the rose is deemed the sweetest, but Jesus is infinitely more beautiful in the garden of the soul than the rose can be in the gardens of earth. He takes the first place as the fairest among ten thousand. He is the sun, and all others are the stars; the heavens and the day are dark in comparison with him, for the King in his beauty transcends all.

“I am the rose of Sharon.” This was the best and rarest of roses. Jesus is not “the rose” alone, he is “the rose of Sharon,” just as he calls his righteousness “gold,” and then adds, “the gold of Ophir”—the best of the best. He is positively lovely, and superlatively the loveliest. There is variety in his charms. The rose is delightful to the eye, and its scent is pleasant and refreshing; so each of the senses of the soul, whether it be the taste or feeling, the hearing, the sight, or the spiritual smell, finds appropriate gratification in Jesus.

Even the recollection of his love is sweet. Take the rose of Sharon, and pull it leaf from leaf, and lay by the leaves in the jar of memory, and you shall find each leaf fragrant long afterwards, filling the house with perfume. Christ satisfies the highest taste of the most educated spirit to the very full. The greatest amateur in perfumes is quite satisfied with the rose: and when the soul has arrived at her highest pitch of true taste, she shall still be content with Christ, nay, she shall be the better able to appreciate him. Heaven itself possesses nothing which excels the rose of Sharon. What emblem can fully set forth his beauty? Human speech and earth-born things fail to tell of him. Earth's choicest charms commingled, feebly picture his abounding preciousness. Blessed rose, bloom in my heart for ever!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Long Life...
The glory of young men is their strength,
gray hair the splendor of the old.

Proverbs 20:29 NIV

LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am.

Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity.

Psalm 39:4,5 KJV

Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in perseverance.

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.

Titus 2:2-5 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“A very present help.”

Psalm 46:1

Covenant blessings are not meant to be looked at only, but to be appropriated. Even our Lord Jesus is given to us for our present use. Believer, thou dost not make use of Christ as thou oughtest to do. When thou art in trouble, why dost thou not tell him all thy grief? Has he not a sympathizing heart, and can he not comfort and relieve thee? No, thou art going about to all thy friends, save thy best Friend, and telling thy tale everywhere except into the bosom of thy Lord.

Art thou burdened with this day's sins? Here is a fountain filled with blood: use it, saint, use it. Has a sense of guilt returned upon thee? The pardoning grace of Jesus may be proved again and again. Come to him at once for cleansing. Dost thou deplore thy weakness? He is thy strength: why not lean upon him? Dost thou feel naked? Come hither, soul; put on the robe of Jesus’ righteousness. Stand not looking at it, but wear it. Strip off thine own righteousness, and thine own fears too: put on the fair white linen, for it was meant to wear.

Dost thou feel thyself sick? Pull the night-bell of prayer, and call up the Beloved Physician! He will give the cordial that will revive thee. Thou art poor, but then thou hast “a kinsman, a mighty man of wealth.” What! wilt thou not go to him, and ask him to give thee of his abundance, when he has given thee this promise, that thou shalt be joint heir with him, and has made over all that he is and all that he has to be thine? There is nothing Christ dislikes more than for his people to make a show-thing of him, and not to use him. He loves to be employed by us. The more burdens we put on his shoulders, the more precious will he be to us.

“Let us be simple with him, then,
Not backward, stiff, or cold,
As though our Bethlehem could be
What Sinai was of old.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To Be a Leader

To be a leader is to be vulnerable--to meet the disapproving stares of others with the joy and certainty of God's infinite love;

To be a leader is to be imperfect--to enjoy the enriching process of a new challenge with the hope and confidence of the Master;

To be a leader is to be naive--to believe the very best of all people in the love and acceptance of our Savior;

To be a leader is to be trusting--to disregard dire projections of gloom for the joy and creativity of our Creator;

To be a leader is to be honest--to own our sinfulness with the sincerity and authenticity of the Spirit;

To be a leader is to be unique--to accept the wonderful gift of self, in the knowledge and understanding of community;

To be a leader is to be free--to welcome recurring waves of change with the awe and wonder of a child;

To be a leader is to be empowering--to share the exhilarating power of information in the establishment of inter-connectedness;

To be a leader is to be humble--to give the inestimable gift of flexibility with the grace and forgiveness of God;

To be a leader is to be whole--to know the startling reality that I am central, yet peripheral, in God's plan for the world;

To be a leader is to be weak--to understand that I can rest in the hollow of God's hand only in the total yielding and complete trusting of my child's heart.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A churchgoer wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. I’ve gone for 30 years now,” he wrote, “and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me I can’t remember a single one of them. So I think I’m wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.”

This started a real controversy in the “Letters to the Editor” column, much to the delight of the editor.

It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher: “I’ve been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me those meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!”

When you are DOWN to nothing . . . God is UP to something!

Faith sees the invisible, Believes the incredible and Receives the impossible!

Thank God for our physical and our spiritual nourishment!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Concerning Self Denial
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:24-26 NIV

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Titus 2:11-13 KJV

Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Galatians 5:24,25 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible.”

1 Peter 1:23

Peter most earnestly exhorted the scattered saints to love each other “with a pure heart fervently” and he wisely fetched his argument, not from the law, from nature, or from philosophy, but from that high and divine nature which God hath implanted in his people. Just as some judicious tutor of princes might labour to beget and foster in them a kingly spirit and dignified behaviour, finding arguments in their position and descent, so, looking upon God's people as heirs of glory, princes of the blood royal, descendants of the King of kings, earth's truest and oldest aristocracy, Peter saith to them, “See that ye love one another, because of your noble birth, being born of incorruptible seed; because of your pedigree, being descended from God, the Creator of all things; and because of your immortal destiny, for you shall never pass away, though the glory of the flesh shall fade, and even its existence shall cease.” It would be well if, in the spirit of humility, we recognized the true dignity of our regenerated nature, and lived up to it.

What is a Christian? If you compare him with a king, he adds priestly sanctity to royal dignity. The king's royalty often lieth only in his crown, but with a Christian it is infused into his inmost nature. He is as much above his fellows through his new birth, as a man is above the beast that perisheth. Surely he ought to carry himself, in all his dealings, as one who is not of the multitude, but chosen out of the world, distinguished by sovereign grace, written among “the peculiar people” and who therefore cannot grovel in the dust as others, nor live after the manner of the world's citizens. Let the dignity of your nature, and the brightness of your prospects, O believers in Christ, constrain you to cleave unto holiness, and to avoid the very appearance of evil.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Once there was a man who dared God to speak.

"Burn the bush like you did for Moses, God and I will follow.
Collapse the walls like you did for Joshua, God and I will fight.
Still the waves like you did on Galilee, God and I will listen."

And so the man went and sat by a bush, near a wall close to the sea and waited for God to speak.

And God heard the man , So God answered.
He sent fire, not for the bush, but for a church.
He brought down a wall, not of brick, but of sin.
He stilled a storm, not of the sea, but of a soul.

And God waited for the man to respond.
And he waited ...
And waited ...
And waited...

But because the man was looking at bushes, not hearts; bricks, not lives; seas and not souls, he decided that God had done nothing.
Finally he looked at God and asked, "Have you lost your power?"
And God looked at him and said, "Have you lost your hearing?"

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Created All Things
He Created All Things
for the good pleasure of His will

-------------

"You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being."

Revelation 4:11 NIV

-------------

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

1 John 5:14,15 KJV

-------------

Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.'

Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.

Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.'

James 4:13-15 NASB

-------------

Thy kingdom come.

Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.

Matthew 6:10

Let this be our daily heart's desire...

-------------

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.”

Proverbs 16:20

Wisdom is man's true strength; and, under its guidance, he best accomplishes the ends of his being. Wisely handling the matter of life gives to man the richest enjoyment, and presents the noblest occupation for his powers; hence by it he finds good in the fullest sense. Without wisdom, man is as the wild ass's colt, running hither and thither, wasting strength which might be profitably employed. Wisdom is the compass by which man is to steer across the trackless waste of life; without it he is a derelict vessel, the sport of winds and waves.

A man must be prudent in such a world as this, or he will find no good, but be betrayed into unnumbered ills. The pilgrim will sorely wound his feet among the briers of the wood of life if he do not pick his steps with the utmost caution. He who is in a wilderness infested with robber bands must handle matters wisely if he would journey safely. If, trained by the Great Teacher, we follow where he leads, we shall find good, even while in this dark abode; there are celestial fruits to be gathered this side of Eden's bowers, and songs of paradise to be sung amid the groves of earth.

But where shall this wisdom be found? Many have dreamed of it, but have not possessed it. Where shall we learn it? Let us listen to the voice of the Lord, for he hath declared the secret; he hath revealed to the sons of men wherein true wisdom lieth, and we have it in the text, “Whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.” The true way to handle a matter wisely is to trust in the Lord. This is the sure clue to the most intricate labyrinths of life, follow it and find eternal bliss. He who trusts in the Lord has a diploma for wisdom granted by inspiration: happy is he now, and happier shall he be above. Lord, in this sweet eventide walk with me in the garden, and teach me the wisdom of faith.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He grants us grace
For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

John 1:16,17 NASB

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Zechariah 12:10 KJV

And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Genesis 6:7,8 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“All the days of my appointed time will I wait.”

Job 14:14

A little stay on earth will make heaven more heavenly. Nothing makes rest so sweet as toil; nothing renders security so pleasant as exposure to alarms. The bitter quassia cups of earth will give a relish to the new wine which sparkles in the golden bowls of glory. Our battered armour and scarred countenances will render more illustrious our victory above, when we are welcomed to the seats of those who have overcome the world. We should not have full fellowship with Christ if we did not for awhile sojourn below, for he was baptized with a baptism of suffering among men, and we must be baptized with the same if we would share his kingdom. Fellowship with Christ is so honourable that the sorest sorrow is a light price by which to procure it.

Another reason for our lingering here is for the good of others. We would not wish to enter heaven till our work is done, and it may be that we are yet ordained to minister light to souls benighted in the wilderness of sin. Our prolonged stay here is doubtless for God's glory. A tried saint, like a well-cut diamond, glitters much in the King's crown. Nothing reflects so much honour on a workman as a protracted and severe trial of his work, and its triumphant endurance of the ordeal without giving way in any part. We are God's workmanship, in whom he will be glorified by our afflictions.

It is for the honour of Jesus that we endure the trial of our faith with sacred joy. Let each man surrender his own longings to the glory of Jesus, and feel, “If my lying in the dust would elevate my Lord by so much as an inch, let me still lie among the pots of earth. If to live on earth for ever would make my Lord more glorious, it should be my heaven to be shut out of heaven.” Our time is fixed and settled by eternal decree. Let us not be anxious about it, but wait with patience till the gates of pearl shall open.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Search me, O God, and know my heart
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139:23,24 NIV

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6,7 NASB

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on thee:
because he trusteth in thee.

Trust ye in the LORD for ever:
for in the LORD JEHOVAH
is everlasting strength.

Psalm 26:3,4 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Acquaint now thyself with him.”

Job 22:21

If we would rightly “acquaint ourselves with God, and be at peace,” we must know him as he has revealed himself, not only in the unity of his essence and subsistence, but also in the plurality of his persons. God said, “Let us make man in our own image”—let not man be content until he knows something of the “us” from whom his being was derived. Endeavour to know the Father; bury your head in his bosom in deep repentance, and confess that you are not worthy to be called his son; receive the kiss of his love; let the ring which is the token of his eternal faithfulness be on your finger; sit at his table and let your heart make merry in his grace.

Then press forward and seek to know much of the Son of God who is the brightness of his Father's glory, and yet in unspeakable condescension of grace became man for our sakes; know him in the singular complexity of his nature: eternal God, and yet suffering, finite man; follow him as he walks the waters with the tread of deity, and as he sits upon the well in the weariness of humanity. Be not satisfied unless you know much of Jesus Christ as your Friend, your Brother, your Husband, your all.

Forget not the Holy Spirit; endeavour to obtain a clear view of his nature and character, his attributes, and his works. Behold that Spirit of the Lord, who first of all moved upon chaos, and brought forth order; who now visits the chaos of your soul, and creates the order of holiness. Behold him as the Lord and giver of spiritual life, the Illuminator, the Instructor, the Comforter, and the Sanctifier. Behold him as, like holy unction, he descends upon the head of Jesus, and then afterwards rests upon you who are as the skirts of his garments. Such an intelligent, scriptural, and experimental belief in the Trinity in Unity is yours if you truly know God; and such knowledge brings peace indeed.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God is the Friend of Silence

We Need to Find God,
He Cannot Be Found in Noise and Restlessness.

God Is the Friend of Silence.

See How Nature . . .
Trees, Flowers, Grass
Grow in Silence.

See the Stars, the Moon and Sun . . .
How They Move in Silence.
The More We Receive in Silent Prayer,
The More We Can Give in Our Active Life.

We Need Silence to Be Able to Touch Souls.

The Essential Thing Is Not What We Say,
But What God Says . . .
To us and Through us.

All Our Words Will Be Useless
Unless They Come from Within.
Words Which Do Not Give the Light of Christ . . .
Increase the Darkness.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
God has blessed me yet again this week. For the third time this spring I have been turned down for a job. That may not sound much like a blessing to many of you, but I can see God's hand in it when I think of Psalm 118:22. While I was on one interview weekend this spring, Psalm 118 just happened to be in the suggested daily readings. After reading it, the words keep ringing in my head. 'The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.' I had been in this situation before, and I could now begin to see how God was calling me.

My senior year of high school, I had my heart set on working on the 4-H Camp staff. I had been attending 4-H Camp for the previous eight summers as a camper and as a junior leader, and I could clearly see God calling me into youth camp work. All of my energy and prayers were focused into getting that job. But as you can probably guess, I became the rejected stone. I was pretty devastated. God gave me a few days to stew in my misery, and then He sent my mom to the Piggly-Wiggly to bump into my old classmate Robin. Robin said that she had just been hired as a counselor at Camp Kysoc...and that Kysoc still desperately needed male counselors. Kysoc was not the kind of camp with which I was familiar--Kysoc's campers were children and adults with disabilities. I had very little exposure to people with disabilities, but it was a job in camping. In a whirlwind of applications and interviews, Kysoc quickly grabbed me and began to break down my images of people with physical and mental challenges. That summer I learned a lot about camping, a lot about caring for other people, and even more about myself. I became a real cornerstone in the Kysoc community and continued working there for five full summers as both a counselor and a program director. In the Kysoc community, I learned so much more than if I had just gone to the 4-H camp where I had wanted to go, and I know that God called me there for that reason.

This spring I heard God calling me to work this next year in youth ministry, and I had three programs in mind. Today, I was turned down by the last of the three. However, I am not losing faith or losing heart because God has opened two more doors to me. These are doors that I didn't seek out myself and that I wouldn't have really considered if one of my first three choices had come through. I really feel God working within me to push me toward these other options, and I pray that He will continue to guide me into the place that he wishes me to be.

As we are waiting for God to reveal our true calling to us, we must try to be patient and to listen to His will. When we leave everything in God's hands, we know that each rejection is just another arrow pointing us to where God wants us. It isn't always easy being rejected over and over again, but we must remember that He needs cornerstones in many different places. God must close some doors that are open in front of us so that we can see the paths that lay off to the side. And as we venture down these less traveled paths, we find our way back into His light.

Note: Since writing this article, I have been turned down by one more retreat ministry, but I was finally accepted by my fifth and last option. I will be spending this next year traveling around the US and Canada with REACH Youth Ministries. It has been a powerful calling and I hope that I am worthy. I thank you greatly for all your prayers and support, and I ask you to continue to pray for my ministry as I pick up my cross and proclaim the gospels over this next year.