• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
About Marriage
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.

So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church.

Ephesians 5:25-29 NASB

May your fountain be blessed, and may
you rejoice in the wife of your youth.

A loving doe, a graceful deer -
may her breasts satisfy you always,
may you ever be captivated by her love.

Why be captivated, my son, by an adulteress?
Why embrace the bosom of another man's wife?

Proverbs 5:18-20 NIV

Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

Colossians 3:18,19 RSV

"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

Mark 10:6-9 NASB

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“I found him whom my soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go.”

Song of Solomon 3:4

Does Christ receive us when we come to him, notwithstanding all our past sinfulness? Does he never chide us for having tried all other refuges first? And is there none on earth like him? Is he the best of all the good, the fairest of all the fair? Oh, then let us praise him! Daughters of Jerusalem, extol him with timbrel and harp! Down with your idols, up with the Lord Jesus. Now let the standards of pomp and pride be trampled under foot, but let the cross of Jesus, which the world frowns and scoffs at, be lifted on high.

O for a throne of ivory for our King Solomon! Let him be set on high for ever, and let my soul sit at his footstool, and kiss his feet, and wash them with my tears. Oh, how precious is Christ! How can it be that I have thought so little of him? How is it I can go abroad for joy or comfort when he is so full, so rich, so satisfying. Fellow believer, make a covenant with thine heart that thou wilt never depart from him, and ask thy Lord to ratify it. Bid him set thee as a signet upon his finger, and as a bracelet upon his arm. Ask him to bind thee about him, as the bride decketh herself with ornaments, and as the bridegroom putteth on his jewels.

I would live in Christ's heart; in the clefts of that rock my soul would eternally abide. The sparrow hath made a house, and the swallow a nest for herself where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God; and so too would I make my nest, my home, in thee, and never from thee may the soul of thy turtle dove go forth again, but may I nestle close to thee, O Jesus, my true and only rest.

“When my precious Lord I find,
All my ardent passions glow;
Him with cords of love I bind,
Hold and will not let him go.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We died to sin
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Galatians 6:14 ESV

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.

For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

1 Corinthians 2:1,2 NASB

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Romans 6:1-4 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.”

John 4:48

A craving after marvels was a symptom of the sickly state of men's minds in our Lord's day; they refused solid nourishment, and pined after mere wonder. The gospel which they so greatly needed they would not have; the miracles which Jesus did not always choose to give they eagerly demanded. Many nowadays must see signs and wonders, or they will not believe. Some have said in their heart, “I must feel deep horror of soul, or I never will believe in Jesus.” But what if you never should feel it, as probably you never may? Will you go to hell out of spite against God, because he will not treat you like another?

One has said to himself, “If I had a dream, or if I could feel a sudden shock of I know not what, then I would believe.” Thus you undeserving mortals dream that my Lord is to be dictated to by you! You are beggars at his gate, asking for mercy, and you must needs draw up rules and regulations as to how he shall give that mercy. Think you that he will submit to this? My Master is of a generous spirit, but he has a right royal heart, he spurns all dictation, and maintains his sovereignty of action. Why, dear reader, if such be your case, do you crave for signs and wonders?

Is not the gospel its own sign and wonder? Is not this a miracle of miracles, that “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him might not perish”? Surely that precious word, “Whosoever will, let him come and take the water of life freely” and that solemn promise, “Him that cometh unto me, I will in no wise cast out,” are better than signs and wonders! A truthful Saviour ought to be believed. He is truth itself. Why will you ask proof of the veracity of One who cannot lie? The devils themselves declared him to be the Son of God; will you mistrust him?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mercy for Widows

The time of the judges is a bad time for Israel. Priests and Levites are unfaithful, the people turn to idols, and the judges cannot keep Israel from lapsing back into sin. Because of her sins, the garden of Israel has become a place of death, strife, and slavery.

But the story of Ruth shows us that the Lord will restore all that Israel lacks. Naomi is a picture of Israel, and the Lord’s mercy to Naomi is a promise of mercy to His people. Israel is God’s bride, but Israel has not been paying attention to her Husband. She has been looking for other husbands. So the Lord has left Israel a widow.

When Ruth begins, Naomi’s family has suffered one shock after another. Elimelech leaves the land because of a famine, but he and his sons die while in Moab, and Naomi is left without husband or sons. Her only help comes from two Gentile women who, like Naomi, are helpless widows. Every one of these “lacks” food, husbands, sons — is reversed by the end of the story. The message of Ruth is a message of hope for widowed Israel.[1]

The story begins with famine. It is a famine in Bethlehem, which means “house of bread.” But soon God visits His people to provide bread (1:6), and Boaz, the redeemer, later gives abundant food to Ruth and Naomi (2:17; 3:17). The first chapter is an exodus story: Elimelech and Naomi leave the land and Naomi returns with Ruth.

It is a strange exodus. Instead of prospering when they are out of the land, as Jacob did in Haran and as Israel did in Egypt, Elimelech and his sons die, leaving Naomi with no seed. Jacob flees from Esau with only a staff, and comes back with two companies; he goes out empty and comes back full. Naomi goes out full and comes back empty (1:21).

At the end of chapter 1, there has been no real exodus, no redemption. Boaz is the one who saves Naomi by recovering her land. At the end of the book, the exodus is complete, as Ruth and Naomi find rest in the land.[2]

The story begins with the deaths of Elimelech and his two sons. Moab, to the East of the garden-land, is a place of death. Naomi is literally past childbearing years; Ruth is not barren, but she has no husband.

At the end of the book, the seed is born. Obed is described as Naomi’s redeemer (4:14), and so barren and aged Naomi is made a mother of children. All this reminds us of the stories in Genesis where the wives of the patriarchs are barren. As in Genesis, God provides the seed in a miraculous way. God sends the “redeemer,” the seed who will eventually produce the Seed who will crush the serpent’s head. There is a move from death to life at the center of Ruth and this is a promise that barren Israel will come alive and bear a son.

Ruth is a well-written book, and the writer uses words skillfully to make his point. Some important words are used only twice, but are used at key moments in the story.[3] The word “lads,” for example, is used in 1:5, where Naomi loses her two “lads.” The other use of the word comes in 4:16, where Naomi takes the “lad” and becomes his guardian or nurse. Naomi’s lost “lads” are now restored in the “lad” Obed.

The word “empty” is also used twice. Naomi complains against the Lord that she has been emptied (1:21). She is an empty vessel in every sense: She will no longer bear children, and she has lost her husband, sons, and land. After his midnight meeting with Ruth, Boaz measures out barley, telling Ruth that she ought not return to Naomi with “empty” hands (3:17). Naomi complains of her emptiness, but Boaz makes sure that she gets filled.

The word “wings” occurs twice also. Boaz prays that the Lord will reward Ruth, who has come under the wings of Yahweh (2:12). This means that Ruth has come under the protection of the Lord’s covenant and become a sojourner in the Lord’s land among the Lord’s people.

When Ruth visits Boaz at night, she asks him to spread his wing over her (3:19), a sign that he intends to marry her. Married men and women are covered with a single garment because they are one flesh, so spreading a “wing” of a garment over a woman is a sign of marriage. Ruth places her trust in Yahweh, and is protected by His “wings.” And the Lord provides Boaz to spread his “wing” over Ruth.

All these changes in the fortunes of Naomi and Ruth are from the Lord, and show the Lord’s hesed. This Hebrew word is translated as “lovingkindness, “mercy,” or “kindness,” and has the basic sense of loyalty to covenant. God displays His hesed in fulfilling the promises He has made to His people.

But the way He fulfills His promises is often startling and surprising. The book of Ruth shows the surprising hesed of God by emphasizing things that happen by “chance.” Ruth “chances” to go to the field of Boaz, and Naomi sees that this “chance” shows that the Lord has not withdrawn His hesed from living and dead (2:20). The Lord’s hesed is seen especially in hopeless situations. Embittered widows, barren women, sojourners in the land — these are the special objects of God’s care.

The Lord displays His hesed, His kindness and loyalty to His promises, through the hesedof Boaz. Boaz shows mercy by doing what is required of a “near relative,” the “kinsman-redeemer.” Near relatives redeem land and slaves, and take care of a brother’s widow. Boaz fulfills all these obligations.

Boaz goes beyond the strict letter of the law. He not only lets Ruth glean in his field, but gives special instructions to his men not to bother her. He tells them to leave some extra grain behind for Ruth. He invites her to sit with him and share his meal (Ruth 2:14-16). Later, he gives Ruth an abundance of grain for to take back to Naomi. His kindness, like the kindness of his Lord, overflows.

Another change occurs in the book of Ruth: The story begins in the time of the judges, a time when there is “no king in Israel.” It ends with a genealogy of David, and the beginning of the time of the kings.

This too shows the Lord’s hesed. Though Israel serves idols, Yahweh does not abandon her. He is at work to fulfill His promises by giving food, land, and freedom to Israel. And His promises move ahead into a new phase of Israel’s history. He is preparing to raise up a king to be her husband.

[1]The chronological indicator in 1:1, especially when combined with the references to David in 4:17 and 22, show that the author was concerned with God’s dealings with Israel as a whole, not just with the individual characters of the story. Ruth is redemptive history, not merely an ancient short story.

[2]James B. Jordan suggests that the story can be read as follows: Bethlehem starts out as “Egypt,” and Naomi’s experience in Moab is a “wilderness” experience, during which a generation dies. The return to Bethlehem is a conquest, with Bethlehem now transformed from Egypt into Canaan (personal communication, February 2000).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Learn Patience
Patience

Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

James 5:7,8 KJV

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Galatians 6:9 NIV

And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope.

Romans 5:3,4 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said ... Be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods.”

Daniel 3:16, 18

The narrative of the manly courage and marvellous deliverance of the three holy children, or rather champions, is well calculated to excite in the minds of believers firmness and steadfastness in upholding the truth in the teeth of tyranny and in the very jaws of death. Let young Christians especially learn from their example, both in matters of faith in religion, and matters of uprightness in business, never to sacrifice their consciences. Lose all rather than lose your integrity, and when all else is gone, still hold fast a clear conscience as the rarest jewel which can adorn the bosom of a mortal.

Be not guided by the will-o’-the-wisp of policy, but by the pole-star of divine authority. Follow the right at all hazards. When you see no present advantage, walk by faith and not by sight. Do God the honour to trust him when it comes to matters of loss for the sake of principle. See whether he will be your debtor! See if he doth not even in this life prove his word that “Godliness, with contentment, is great gain,” and that they who “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, shall have all these things added unto them.” Should it happen that, in the providence of God, you are a loser by conscience, you shall find that if the Lord pays you not back in the silver of earthly prosperity, he will discharge his promise in the gold of spiritual joy.

Remember that a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of that which he possesseth. To wear a guileless spirit, to have a heart void of offence, to have the favour and smile of God, is greater riches than the mines of Ophir could yield, or the traffic of Tyre could win. “Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and inward contention therewith.” An ounce of heart's-ease is worth a ton of gold.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Are Warning Signs Of Falling Into Apostasy?

How can you avoid falling into apostasy? What are some of the warning signs you or others might be falling for doctrinal error or heresy?

What is Apostasy?
When we read about apostasy, it’s typically about a group or a believer falling away from the truth, particularly from the essentials of the faith, like the divinity of Christ, the sinless nature and life of Christ, and the fact that we’re saved by grace and not of works. It is a renunciation or abandonment of the faith once delivered to the church (Jude 1:3). It can also be abandoning one’s own principles, morals, and values, but either way, apostasy is like a falling back or falling away from something; in this case, the truth (John 14:6). The Greek’s used the word apostasy (apostanai) to mean, “to stand apart from,” or “to desert” something or someone, so apostasy is voluntarily abandoning or standing in defiance of something that was once believed and practiced as true. It’s a rejection of what they knew, and in fact, a renunciation of what was formerly held.

Whoever has believed the Bible and then chosen to disbelieve it or whoever doesn’t believe, which is also a free, volitional choice, is an apostate of the truth. Apostasy is not always bad. Some people have left a group when they discovered they were teaching errors, so in that case, it’s best to separate themselves, but when it’s a falling away, or as the Old Testament calls it in the Hebrew (mĕshuwbah), “a turning back,” or “backsliding.” The implications of being an apostate can have catastrophic, eternal consequences, particularly if it’s un-repented of.

Discernment and the Word
I believe those who have the greatest discernment are those who spend the greatest amounts of time in the Word of God. When you know enough of the truth, you can more easily recognize error when you hear it or read it. If you don’t know what the objective truth is, which is found in the Bible, then you are much less likely to know if something is true or not. For example, Christians know they cannot be saved by religious ceremonies or works (Gal 3; Eph 2:8-9), so when you hear someone say something like you must be baptized in our church, it’s like they’re saying, “Baptism + Jesus = Salvation.” I cannot count the number of times when someone wrote or talked about their experience, and in a way that seems to overshadow Scripture. It usually begins with, “My experience is” or “from what I’ve experienced,” and then just fill in the blank.

Human experience might be helpful for some things, but it’s never a substitute for the truth. Rather than hearing what they believe based upon chapter and verse, it might be, “This is what happened to me,” therefore, their conclusion is, this must be true. In effect, it’s “My experience proves this to be true,” but what a slippery slope that is! The best weapon we have against heresy and apostasy is to know the truth well enough that when you read or hear something, you know it doesn’t square with Scripture.

Experience is fine for many things, but its sinking sand when you try to build your eternity on it. Jesus says, “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock” (Matt 7:24-25), however, “everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand” (Matt 7:26). Building one’s belief system upon one’s own personal human experience is building a house on sinking sand and not the solid rock of Scripture.

Not if, but When
The Apostle Paul spoke with certainly about a time of apostasy. He writes that “the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons” (1st Tim 4:1). This departure from the faith was the reason Jude wrote his book. He knew it was necessary to contend for the faith that was once delivered (Jude 1:3), meaning it was a past, one-time event (Heb 1:1-2). The tense in the Greek doesn’t allow for it to mean it’s still happening or is yet to be delivered. By the way, the faith that was once delivered didn’t depend upon human experience to validate whether it was true or not. Human experience has no effect on the truth, but the truth directly effects the human’s experience (John 3:16; 2nd Cor 5:17-21).

It is never the other way around. When Paul was writing about the coming of the Lord (2nd Thess 2:1), he reminded the church at Thessalonica that “the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way” (2nd Thess 2:7), and it will be condemnation for those “who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness” (2nd Thess 2:12). This is why James places so much emphasis on helping our brothers and sisters, writing, “My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins” (James 5:19-20).

Conclusion
Some of the signs of falling into apostasy are that you start believing in human experience over what the Bible says. Your Bible reading drops off, which means you’ll be less likely to spot error. Your prayer life will all but dry up. You’ll be focusing on the peripherals (Gal 3) instead of the essentials (Rom 10:9-13; Acts 4:12). You worry less about what the Bible says and listen more to what people have experienced.

We must recognize that a half-truth is really a whole lie. A little bit of error mixed with truth renders it all useless. In fact, the truth, even with a touch of error, is more dangerous than easily recognizable falsehoods. If there was a pure bottle of spring water and someone said, “It only contains 0.001% poison,” I doubt you’d drink it, even though it looked good. To protect yourself from apostasy, stay in the Word, study the Word, have the Spirit help you in the Word, and the Word will be familiar enough to you that you’ll know when something doesn’t smell right.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yesterday I didn’t drive well;

I made a bad mistake.

Thank you God for the stranger

Whose foot slammed on his brake.

All day today I prayed for him,

As I prayed for many more

Who were quick-thinking at the wheel

And saved my life before.

There’s no other gift to give

To a stranger you don’t meet

Than to offer prayers for him

And lay them at God’s feet.

So every time I think about

Some driver who was skilled

And managed to undo a threat

That could have been fulfilled,

I say another prayer

For those strangers I don’t know

Who were wide awake and ready

When I was dim and slow.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Psalm 35:3

What does this sweet prayer teach me? It shall be my evening's petition; but first let it yield me an instructive meditation. The text informs me first of all that David had his doubts; for why should he pray, “Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation,” if he were not sometimes exercised with doubts and fears? Let me, then, be of good cheer, for I am not the only saint who has to complain of weakness of faith. If David doubted, I need not conclude that I am no Christian because I have doubts.

The text reminds me that David was not content while he had doubts and fears, but he repaired at once to the mercy-seat to pray for assurance; for he valued it as much fine gold. I too must labour after an abiding sense of my acceptance in the Beloved, and must have no joy when his love is not shed abroad in my soul. When my Bridegroom is gone from me, my soul must and will fast. I learn also that David knew where to obtain full assurance. He went to his God in prayer, crying, “Say unto my soul I am thy salvation.” I must be much alone with God if I would have a clear sense of Jesus’ love. Let my prayers cease, and my eye of faith will grow dim. Much in prayer, much in heaven; slow in prayer, slow in progress.

I notice that David would not be satisfied unless his assurance had a divine source. “Say unto my soul.” Lord, do thou say it! Nothing short of a divine testimony in the soul will ever content the true Christian. Moreover, David could not rest unless his assurance had a vivid personality about it. “Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.” Lord, if thou shouldst say this to all the saints, it were nothing, unless thou shouldst say it to me. Lord, I have sinned; I deserve not thy smile; I scarcely dare to ask it; but oh! say to my soul, even to my soul, “I am thy salvation.” Let me have a present, personal, infallible, indisputable sense that I am thine, and that thou art mine.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who are you following?
They followed worthless idols and themselves became worthless. They imitated the nations around them although the LORD had ordered them, "Do not do as they do," and they did the things the LORD had forbidden them to do.

They forsook all the commands of the LORD their God and made for themselves two idols cast in the shape of calves, and an Asherah pole. They bowed down to all the starry hosts, and they worshiped Baal.

2 Kings 17:15,16 NIV

Choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Joshua 24:15 KJV

I sought the LORD , and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.

Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.

This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.

Psalm 34:4-6 NASB

We will be transformed into that which we behold. So,

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full on His wonderful face
And the things of earth
will grow strangely dim
In the light of His Glory and Grace."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Seek Him!
But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the LORD your God and obey him.

For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath.

Deuteronomy 4:29-31 NIV

Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy;
break up your fallow ground:
for it is time to seek the LORD,
till He come and rain righteousness upon you.

Hosea 10:12 KJV

The LORD also will be a
stronghold for the oppressed,
A stronghold in times of trouble;

And those who know Your name
will put their trust in You,

For You, O LORD, have not forsaken
those who seek You.

Sing praises to the LORD,
who dwells in Zion;
Declare among the peoples His deeds.

Psalm 9:9-11 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“He openeth, and no man shutteth.”

Revelation 3:7

Jesus is the keeper of the gates of paradise and before every believing soul he setteth an open door, which no man or devil shall be able to close against it. What joy it will be to find that faith in him is the golden key to the everlasting doors. My soul, dost thou carry this key in thy bosom, or art thou trusting to some deceitful pick-lock, which will fail thee at last? Hear this parable of the preacher, and remember it.

The great King has made a banquet, and he has proclaimed to all the world that none shall enter but those who bring with them the fairest flower that blooms. The spirits of men advance to the gate by thousands, and they bring each one the flower which he esteems the queen of the garden; but in crowds they are driven from the royal presence, and enter not into the festive halls. Some bear in their hand the deadly nightshade of superstition, or the flaunting poppies of Rome, or the hemlock of self- righteousness, but these are not dear to the King, the bearers are shut out of the pearly gates.

My soul, hast thou gathered the rose of Sharon? Dost thou wear the lily of the valley in thy bosom constantly? If so, when thou comest up to the gates of heaven thou wilt know its value, for thou hast only to show this choicest of flowers, and the Porter will open: not for a moment will he deny thee admission, for to that rose the Porter openeth ever. Thou shalt find thy way with the rose of Sharon in thy hand up to the throne of God himself, for heaven itself possesses nothing that excels its radiant beauty, and of all the flowers that bloom in paradise there is none that can rival the lily of the valley. My soul, get Calvary's blood-red rose into thy hand by faith, by love wear it, by communion preserve it, by daily watchfulness make it thine all in all, and thou shalt be blessed beyond all bliss, happy beyond a dream. Jesus, be mine for ever, my God, my heaven, my all.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What The Bible Teaches About Tolerance

Today it is politically correct to teach tolerance about everything, so what does the Bible teach about tolerance and how does it differ from the world’s version of tolerance?

Toleration
Tolerance has been defined as having sympathy for a cause, person, or belief, even if it’s against one’s own personal preferences or beliefs. We can disagree with someone or something but still not be disagreeable. Tolerating is possible, even when it’s contrary to the person’s beliefs or practices, however tolerance of something or someone doesn’t mean you condone it. Tolerance can be in regards to pain, people, or things. The Apostle Paul wrote that we are to be Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive” (Col 3:13).

If we are not exhibiting tolerance toward those around us, then how can we expect to receive the tolerance of others when they disagree with us over something we do or believe, however there are somethings we cannot tolerate, like child abuse, violence, and abuse or neglect of the elderly, but that’s not what this article is about. It is about trying to understand what tolerance is so that we can be tolerant of others and their own way of life. It’s about opening a dialog of mutual respect and living peaceably despite any disagreements. It is accepting who others for who they are, even if it’s totally opposite of what we are like. Tolerance is not permissiveness, especially if it has legal consequences, so we are not speaking of tolerance for criminal acts, but people who have differing opinions and beliefs than we do.

Drop the Stone
It’s almost like walking on egg shells today because whatever you say can be taken the wrong way. It seems we can tolerate just about anything except those who we disagree with, but again, tolerance is not condoning something. It is simply acknowledging someone’s right to believe differently than we do, or hold to certain beliefs or practices that we may not agree with, and by the way, having every right to do so. Of course Christians recognize that many of the things they see people do are sin, but those same believers should also recognize that they also sin (Rom 7; 1st John 1:8, 10), so casting stones is not our business. The Apostle John writes about a time when, one by one, they dropped the stone.

This, after the woman caught in adultery was brought before Jesus, but Jesus would not condemn her, and neither did the Jews because they were not without sin. Jesus did tell the woman, “Go and sin no more” (John 8:11), but my question is, “Where was the man? Why wasn’t he brought before Jesus? Isn’t that a double standard?” What the Jews were doing was to try and trap Jesus. If He said to stone her, the Jews would have turned Him into the Roman authorities because “It [was] not lawful for [them] to put anyone to death” (John 18:31), however if Jesus had dismissed the stoning, the Jewish religious leaders would have accused Him of breaking the Mosaic Law, however Jesus came to fulfill the law…and the New Covenant, is a Covenant of Grace.

The Old Testament laws were fulfilled in Christ and He is the end of the law (Gal 3). When we are asked what does the Bible says about something, we don’t offer our personal opinion, but we offer the Word of God, but Jesus never forced Himself on anyone, nor did He cram religion down anyone’s throat, so anyone that does that is not being biblical, and in fact, they’re doing more harm than good because this an drive them away. It is the Word of God that has effectual power to save (Rom 1:16; 1st Cor 1:18), and we certainly do not. Anything we can talk someone into, someone else can talk them out of.

Expectations
The Apostle Paul’s very last letter before he was martyred contained commands for Timothy to not hold anything back in the Word of God, writing, “I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching (2nd Tim 4:1-2). The word “charge” is an imperative command, and in the same tone as Paul who told the Corinthians, “I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one” (1st Cor 5:11), but doesn’t mean we don’t respect people. We must treat them with respect when we’re talking to them or talking about them, because some of such were we (1st Cor 6:11).

We make a poor imitation of the Holy Spirit in trying to convict people of their sins…and besides, the Holy Spirit’s more interested in the sins we commit than those of others! Of course, it’s good and right to make sure the Body of Christ remains as pure and possible. What church would want a practicing thief to be the church treasurer? Who would want an adulterous man giving an engaged couple premarital counseling? The church has clear admonitions to instruct, correct, rebuke, and teach where and when it is necessary.

God will hold church leaders responsible for their negligence of church discipline (Matt 18:15-20), however church discipline stops at the curb. Jesus never told the disciples to go out and “reform the world” but to make disciples of all people (Matt 28:18-20), but even that is not a “forced conversion,” but a calling by God (John 6:44). It’s not an external reformation of society but an inward conversion that shows external evidence. It is being salt and light, but holding the light in someone’s face that hurts, and too much salt ruins just about anything.

Conclusion
Christianity is not a set of rules, regulations, or laws. It’s not so much a religion as it is having a personal, saving relationship with Jesus Christ, and it’s not intolerant but truthful to say that Jesus is the one and only way (John 14:6). I rejoice that there is at least one way (Acts 4:12). Jesus says whoever comes to Him will not be turned away (John 6:37-39), and whoever believes in Him will be saved (John 3:16; Rom 10:9-13), but the gospel includes repentance and faith, which is exactly how Jesus described the gospel (Mark 1:14-15), and there is no other way to enter the kingdom than through Jesus Christ (John 6:44; Acts 4:12, 16:30-31).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Does God Help Even When We Don’t Ask?

My mother emailed me and asked a favor, would you find a florist in Woodbine New Jersey to deliver flowers or something appropriate to Greg’s family. He was a friend of my parents and has passed away. Because they live in Florida, they thought that I would know where to call. I was unfamiliar with the town and the family involved but figured I would try to help.

I asked my husband to jump on the Internet and find a florist in Woodbine. He called me back after an hour of searching and said there were no florists in Woodbine. The best he could come up with was in the surrounding towns. We choose one that was about 9 miles away.

We were skeptical that the florist would cooperate because we had no phone number and no street number for the road on which they lived. When I called the florist, she listened to our plight and then miraculously she answered no problem! I know the family well. I will send something appropriate!

I believe God led us to exactly the right person to help.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Honesty
The LORD abhors dishonest scales,
but accurate weights are his delight.

Proverbs 11:1 NIV

Are there yet the treasures of wickedness in the house of
the wicked, and the scant measure that is abominable?

Shall I count them pure with the wicked balances, and with
the bag of deceitful weights? For the rich men thereof are
full of violence, and the inhabitants thereof have spoken
lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth.

Micah 6:10-12 KJV

He who walks righteously and speaks with sincerity,
He who rejects unjust gain
And shakes his hands so that they hold no bribe;

He who stops his ears from hearing about bloodshed
And shuts his eyes from looking upon evil;

He will dwell on the heights,
His refuge will be the impregnable rock;
His bread will be given him,
His water will be sure.

Isaiah 33:15,16 NASB

God, Whose grace is all sufficient, be glorified!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Paul’s Warning About The Last Days

What are some of the signs leading up to Jesus’ return? Many are already occurring.

Terrible Times Are Coming
The Apostle Paul, in writing about the last days to Timothy, wrote “that in the last days there will come times of difficulty” (2nd Tim 3:1). Does anyone doubt that today we are living in difficult times? Violence is escalating, terrorism is increasing, and the world’s economy is on shaky ground. Earlier, Paul had said “the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons” (1st Tim 4:1), and clearly this has happened and is happening at an ever-increasing rate. To see theology be replaced with a “me-ology” and become me-centered instead of Christ-centered is heartbreaking, because it isn’t a seeking of the kingdom first and foremost (Matt 6:33), but seeking “your best life now” above all things. If this is our best life now, then our destiny is not heaven because that will be the best of life, so if this is your best life now, then hell must be the next destination.

What other things do you see that make you think we’re living in the last days?

What are the difficulties you face today?

Have you experienced churches, teachers, and pastors departing from the faith?

What does that look like?

It’s All About Me
The Apostle Paul warned that “people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy” (2nd Tim 3:2), and there is no doubting the fact that people are motivated by money, which is all about the self. Businesses are shrinking their products and services but raising their prices because they get more profits. If people are more “lovers of self” today, that means they will be “lovers of money”too because money is how they love themselves by satisfying the flesh. The more money they can make, the more love they can show to themselves (which isn’t really love but greed, or idolatry). The human heart is too often “proud, arrogant, abusive…ungrateful, and unholy.” Can you see the mainstream media touting more sex today than ever before?

Have you seen churches shift from preaching and teaching to “getting the most out of life?”

Where has the focused shifted?

Is true discipleship being taught today or is teaching more topological?

Why is expository or verse by verse preaching most effective?

A Shift in Teaching/Preaching
Instead of our teaching being Christocentric, it has become egocentric. Much of our preaching and teaching has shifted from being Bible-centered to happiness-focused. Rather than teaching the necessity for sharing in the sufferings of Christ, some teach how to avoid suffering and to be happy. Their goal is to avoid suffering at all costs, and we hear about God wanting us to be prosperous, happy, and healthy, but I can’t find that in the Bible. This type of teaching could fit into the coming kingdom but not our world today.

Why do we focus more on self today than on Christ?

What does it mean to share in the sufferings of Christ (Rom 8:17; 1st Pet 4:13)?

What kind of prosperity does God want for us (3rd John 1:2)?

21st Century Society
Paul, in continuing to write about the last days, said that mankind will be “heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God” (2nd Tim 3:3-4). If we look at today’s advertising, movies, TV, and the Internet, we can see the heartless violence, the slanderous words, a world with little self-control, haters of good, even calling good for evil (Isaiah 5:20), as well as being treacherous, full of conceit, and loving their own pleasure rather than loving God. Just looking back 40 years ago and you can easily see the vast differences between movies then and movies now, commercials then and commercials now. Advertisers focus on self-gratification because they know the human heart, at least to an extent.

What are some of the heartless things you’ve seen in your life?

Is self-control an issue in your own life? If so, what areas do you struggle with?

Why are commercials and movies becoming more violent and sexually explicit?

Have video games followed a similar pattern?

Does this make you yearn for Jesus’ return?

Angels of Light
Today we have unlimited preachers and teachers who appear just about as godly as can be on the outside, but inwardly, they are ravening wolves. Paul warned that some will have“the appearance of godliness, but denying its power,” so Paul says, “Avoid such people” (2nd Tim 3:5). You cannot tell a biblically sound preacher from a false one by the way the dress or look or talk. That’s because “even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light” (2nd Cor 11:4), “So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds” (2nd Cor 11:4). The main way you can tell between the false and true preacher of God is the content in which he preaches. Biblical, expository, verse by verse preaching should be the rule rather than focusing on making Christians feel better about themselves and not worry about sin.

What elements are missing in many pulpits today?

Why are we so focused on looks and not on content?

Is it hard to tell the false preacher from the sound one?

Departing from the Faith
Finally, the Apostle Paul warned us that “evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived” (2nd Tim 3:13), while the godly are persecuted for trusting in Christ (2nd Tim 3:12). Even worse, “the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths” (2nd Tim 4:3-4). Paul wrote this just prior to or awaiting his execution, so apparently the Spirit of God warned him of perilous times to come, and I believe they have come. Today, false teachers are “devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons” (1st Tim 4:1), and may not even realize it because they too are deceived.

Why don’t false teachers see their error?

What is “sound teaching?”

Do you know any “imposters” who are claiming they are ministers of light?

Conclusion
It is easier to discern error from truth, especially biblical truth, if you are in the Word of God every day. Staying out of the Word can lead to doctrinal errors, but doctrinal errors are exposed when you stay in the Word. If we have the benchmark for truth, and we do in the Bible, then we’ll have a way to spot error when we hear it or read it. Without a good understanding of the Word of God, the word of man can deceive us more easily. Yes, we are in the last days, but every day is the “last days” for those who reject Christ because they are one heartbeat away from eternity and every day we get that much closer to Christ’s return with every passing second. Today would be a good day to believe (2nd Cor 6:2), because tomorrow may never come for some of us.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“There is corn in Egypt.”

Genesis 42:2

Famine pinched all the nations, and it seemed inevitable that Jacob and his family should suffer great want; but the God of providence, who never forgets the objects of electing love, had stored a granary for his people by giving the Egyptians warning of the scarcity, and leading them to treasure up the grain of the years of plenty. Little did Jacob expect deliverance from Egypt, but there was the corn in store for him. Believer, though all things are apparently against thee, rest assured that God has made a reservation on thy behalf; in the roll of thy griefs there is a saving clause. Somehow he will deliver thee, and somewhere he will provide for thee.

The quarter from which thy rescue shall arise may be a very unexpected one, but help will assuredly come in thine extremity, and thou shalt magnify the name of the Lord. If men do not feed thee, ravens shall; and if earth yield not wheat, heaven shall drop with manna. Therefore be of good courage, and rest quietly in the Lord. God can make the sun rise in the west if he pleases, and make the source of distress the channel of delight. The corn in Egypt was all in the hands of the beloved Joseph; he opened or closed the granaries at will.

And so the riches of providence are all in the absolute power of our Lord Jesus, who will dispense them liberally to his people. Joseph was abundantly ready to succour his own family; and Jesus is unceasing in his faithful care for his brethren. Our business is to go after the help which is provided for us: we must not sit still in despondency, but bestir ourselves. Prayer will bear us soon into the presence of our royal Brother: once before his throne we have only to ask and have: his stores are not exhausted; there is corn still: his heart is not hard, he will give the corn to us. Lord, forgive our unbelief, and this evening constrain us to draw largely from thy fulness and receive grace for grace.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He is our Strength!
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.

Psalm 18:3 KJV

The LORD is my light and my salvation -
whom shall I fear?

The LORD is the stronghold of my life,
of whom shall I be afraid?

When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

Psalm 27:1-3 NIV

This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 1:5-7 NASB

Help us, O God of our salvation,
for the glory of thy name;
deliver us, and forgive our sins,
for thy name's sake!

Psalm 79:9 RSV

God, Whose grace is all sufficient, be glorified!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.”

Song of Solomon 2:12

Sweet is the season of spring: the long and dreary winter helps us to appreciate its genial warmth, and its promise of summer enhances its present delights. After periods of depression of spirit, it is delightful to behold again the light of the Sun of Righteousness; then our slumbering graces rise from their lethargy, like the crocus and the daffodil from their beds of earth; then is our heart made merry with delicious notes of gratitude, far more melodious than the warbling of birds—and the comforting assurance of peace, infinitely more delightful than the turtle's note, is heard within the soul.

Now is the time for the soul to seek communion with her Beloved; now must she rise from her native sordidness, and come away from her old associations. If we do not hoist the sail when the breeze is favourable, we shall be blameworthy: times of refreshing ought not to pass over us unimproved. When Jesus himself visits us in tenderness, and entreats us to arise, can we be so base as to refuse his request? He has himself risen that he may draw us after him: he now by his Holy Spirit has revived us, that we may, in newness of life, ascend into the heavenlies, and hold communion with himself.

Let our wintry state suffice us for coldness and indifference; when the Lord creates a spring within, let our sap flow with vigour, and our branch blossom with high resolve. O Lord, if it be not spring time in my chilly heart, I pray thee make it so, for I am heartily weary of living at a distance from thee. Oh! the long and dreary winter, when wilt thou bring it to an end? Come, Holy Spirit, and renew my soul! quicken thou me! restore me, and have mercy on me! This very night I would earnestly implore the Lord to take pity upon his servant, and send me a happy revival of spiritual life!