• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can Christians Have A Spell Or Curse Put On Them?

Does the Bible say Christians can be put under a spell or curse?

Who is Cursed?
I cannot count the times when people have said they were worried about someone putting a spell on them or they have been cursed by someone and are afraid that their family lives under a generational curse. The Bible does say a lot about curses and blessings but not in the way we might think. Because Satan deceived Eve and tempted Adam and Eve to sin, he was cursed from that day forward (Gen 3:14), and so was the ground from that point on (Gen 3:17), so even inanimate objects can be cursed, but the greatest worry anyone has about curses is to reject the only name by which they can be saved (Acts 4:12), but if a person has been born again, there is nothing that can ever separate them from God again (Rom 8:35) because the sin that had previously separated them from God is gone (Isaiah 59:2).

The Bible does say that children who curse their parents bring a curse upon themselves (Ex 21:17), and part of that curse relates to their physical existence on the earth, or as Moses wrote, “that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you” (Ex 20:12), so obviously we can bring curses upon ourselves, but does this mean others can put a curse on us or put us under a spell?

Generational Curses
One place that people cite about their belief in generational curses is Deuteronomy 28:15 where it says, “if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments and his statutes that I command you today, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you,” but what are “these curses” God is speaking about? It is pestilence, disease, drought, blight, mildew, and a host of other problems (Deut 28:17-24), however, this is actually cause and effect; obey God and be blessed or disobey God and be cursed. If they do well they will be blessed but if they do evil, all sorts of problems would plague them, them being ancient Israel, and this is not part of the Mosaic Law or as applying only to ancient Israel.

These are universal principles; following God’s Word will naturally produce good, even if bad things happen (Rom 8:28), but disobeying God, as in rejecting Jesus Christ, even the good they do will work against them and bring such a severe curseas to be indescribable (Rev 20:12-15; 21:8), however Deuteronomy 28 does not mean all following generations are permanently cursed and all their descendants are without hope. They cite Deuteronomy 28 but neglect to read what comes before that: “Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin” (Deut 24:16), and as if to clarify the previous verse, Ezekiel wrote, “The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself” (Ezk 18:20).

Spells
What about spells? Can people have spells put on them? If so, what about Christians? First of all, we know that God says “one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead” (Deut 18:11) is an abomination to Him. King Solomon was obviously not impressed by spells as He wrote that honor for a fool is not fitting and is just “Like a sparrow in its flitting, like a swallow in its flying, a curse that is causeless does not alight” (Prov 26:1). When God’s righteous Judgment Day comes for the world, as represented by Babylon, God says “They will come on you in full measure. In spite of your many sorceries, In spite of the great power of your spells” as if to mock them and their “power” (Isaiah 47:9).

I can find no evidence in the Bible where a Christian was put under a spell by another person or placed under a curse. The greatest injustice or curse ever was put upon Christ for our sake, but it came from God and not man, and as it was written, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree” (Gal 3:13), where the Apostle Paul was quoting the Old Testament (Deut 21:23). He became a curse for our sake that deserved the curse and not the blessing of eternal life. Amazing!

Conclusion
These things remind me a lot of the posts where if you click “like” then God will do this, as if God is a quid quo pro God. If you do this, then He must do that. Isn’t that a little like a bribe? That is not how God works. What He does promise is that for all who repent and believe in Christ, they will be saved, and even if they die, they will live again (John 11:25-26),but they don’t have to do anything….because it’s already been done by Jesus Christ (John 3:16; Rom 5:6-10). What is so amazing about God’s grace is that it is infinitely priceless and something all the world’s wealth couldn’t buy, yet it comes free to us who believe and without merit (Eph 2:8-9), although we must realize it did not come free to God.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Rudy's angel

I walked into the grocery store not particularly interested in buying groceries. I wasn’t hungry. The pain of losing my husband of 37 years was still too raw. And this grocery store held so many sweet memories.

Rudy often came with me and almost every time he’d pretend to go off and look for something special. I knew what he was up to. I’d always spot him walking down the aisle with the three yellow roses in his hands.

Rudy knew I loved yellow roses. With a heart filled with grief, I only wanted to buy my few items and leave, but even grocery shopping was different since Rudy had passed on.

Shopping for one took time, a little more thought than it had for two. Standing by the meat, I searched for the perfect small steak and remembered how Rudy had loved his steak. Suddenly a woman came beside me.

She was blond, slim and lovely in a soft green pantsuit. I watched as she picked up a large pack of T-bones, dropped them in her basket, hesitated, and then put them back. She turned to go and once again reached for the pack of steaks. She saw me watching her and she smiled.

“My husband loves T-bones, but honestly, at these prices, I don’t know.” I swallowed the emotion down my throat and met her pale blue eyes. “My husband passed away eight days ago,” I told her. Glancing at the package in her hands, I fought to control the tremble in my voice. “Buy him the steaks. And cherish every moment you have together.” She shook her head and I saw the emotion in her eyes as she placed the package in her basket and wheeled away.

I turned and pushed my cart across the length of the store to the dairy products. There I stood, trying to decide which size milk I should buy. A quart, I finally decided and moved on to the ice cream section near the front of the store. If nothing else, I could always fix myself an ice cream cone.

I placed the ice cream in my cart and looked down the aisle toward the front. I saw first the green suit, then recognized the pretty lady coming towards me. In her arms she carried a package. On her face was the brightest smile I had ever seen. I would swear a soft halo encircled her blond hair as she kept walking toward me, her eyes holding mine. As she came closer, I saw what she held and tears began misting in my eyes. “These are for you,” she said and placed three beautiful long stemmed yellow roses in my arms. “When you go through the line, they will know these are paid for.” She leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek, then smiled again.

I wanted to tell her what she’d done, what the roses meant, but still unable to speak, I watched as she walked away as tears clouded my vision. I looked down at the beautiful roses nestled in the green tissue wrapping and found it almost unreal. How did she know? Suddenly the answer seemed so clear. I wasn’t alone. “Oh, Rudy, you haven’t forgotten me, have you?” I whispered, with tears in my yes. He was still with me and she was his angel.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Our glory is in Him!
This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 9:23,24 NIV

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 KJV

But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Galatians 6:14 NASB

God, Whose grace is all sufficient, be glorified!

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith
that saves is faith in Him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him.”

Revelation 3:20

What is your desire this evening? Is it set upon heavenly things? Do you long to enjoy the high doctrine of eternal love? Do you desire liberty in very close communion with God? Do you aspire to know the heights, and depths, and lengths, and breadths? Then you must draw near to Jesus; you must get a clear sight of him in his preciousness and completeness: you must view him in his work, in his offices, in his person. He who understands Christ, receives an anointing from the Holy One, by which he knows all things.

Christ is the great master-key of all the chambers of God: there is no treasure-house of God which will not open and yield up all its wealth to the soul that lives near to Jesus. Are you saying, “O that he would dwell in my bosom?” “Would that he would make my heart his dwelling-place for ever?” Open the door, beloved, and he will come into your souls. He has long been knocking, and all with this object, that he may sup with you, and you with him. He sups with you because you find the house or the heart, and you with him because he brings the provision. He could not sup with you if it were not in your heart, you finding the house; nor could you sup with him, for you have a bare cupboard, if he did not bring provision with him.

Fling wide, then, the portals of your soul. He will come with that love which you long to feel; he will come with that joy into which you cannot work your poor depressed spirit; he will bring the peace which now you have not; he will come with his flagons of wine and sweet apples of love, and cheer you till you have no other sickness but that of “love o'erpowering, love divine.” Only open the door to him, drive out his enemies, give him the keys of your heart, and he will dwell there for ever. Oh, wondrous love, that brings such a guest to dwell in such a heart!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sarah Anne

Sarah Anne often went to the nursing home with her mother. They went to visit Sarah Anne’s grandmother, but Sarah Anne was a favorite of the other residents. Sometimes the sickest, most despondent residents would raise their heads to smile at Sarah Anne when she came tripping down the hall.

When Sarah Anne’s mother wheeled her grandmother to the lounge to visit, the other residents in the lounge all watched Sarah Anne from the time she entered until she waved and called out, “Bye” as she left.

One day Sarah Anne pulled away from her mother as they went down the hall. She entered a room where an old woman lay very still on her bed. She stopped a few inches from the bed. The old woman blinked her eyes open and smiled. She slowly raised one hand with 4 fingers extended, and tapped on that hand with the other. Sarah Anne’s mother understood and said, “Yes, she is four years old.” Sarah Anne just stood there beside the woman. Just before she left, she reached out to pat the old woman’s hand.

Over the next week, Sarah Anne wanted to go to the nursing home every day. Most days her mother took her. Every day, Sarah Anne stopped at the bedside of the old woman. After the first couple of days, the old lady would barely open her eyes when Sarah Anne stopped by her bedside; but Sarah Anne always patted her hand before she turned around and left. One day, as she turned to leave, her mother saw tears in Sarah Anne’s eyes.

The next day Sarah Anne’s mother heard that the old lady her daughter usually visited had passed away in the night. She wondered how she would explain it to Sarah Anne. As it turned out, there was no need to explain. When they went down the hall the following day, Sarah Anne did not even pause at the door; she just kept walking toward her grandmother’s room.

Over the next year, Sarah Anne’s pilgrimage to the bedside of one old soul or another was repeated time and time again. The nurses soon realized that Sarah Anne somehow knew, perhaps only at the level of her soul, when a person was nearing the time to pass. Of course her mother also realized this; but she was reluctant to ask her daughter how she knew, fearing that Sarah Anne would somehow feel responsible.

Then one day Sarah Anne was skipping down the hall toward her grandmother’s room when she stopped short. Then she continued slowly to her grandmother and began to stroke her hand.

Sarah Anne’s mother noticed Grandma was noticeably weaker than she had been only a few days before. She shivered as she watched her daughter’s careful attention to the old woman.

That night she asked Sarah if she thought Grandma would still be in her room the next day, “Yes, Mommy,” the girl replied. “She’ll be there a little while more.”

Knowing her daughter as she did, Sarah Anne’s mother called all the relatives to come and bid the old woman goodbye. Most of them thought Grandma looked pretty good and was not in any danger; but early the next day when Sarah Ann and her mother returned to the nursing home as early in the morning as possible, Sarah Ann stopped halfway down the hall.

“The angel’s gone, Mommy,” Sarah Ann said. “She took Grandma with her.” Then although her mother went into the room to see if what Sarah Anne had said was true, Sarah Anne went on to the lounge and visited with other residents.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Click here to learn more
Who is on the Lord's side?
Who for Him will go?

And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

2 Timothy 1:11,12 NIV

Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Mark 8:38 KJV

After calling the apostles in, they flogged them and ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and then released them. So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they kept right on teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

Acts 5:40-42 NASB

God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control. Do not be ashamed then of testifying to our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel in the power of God.

2 Timothy 1:7,8 RSV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Blessed is he that watcheth.”

Revelation 16:15

“We die daily,” said the apostle. This was the life of the early Christians; they went everywhere with their lives in their hands. We are not in this day called to pass through the same fearful persecutions: if we were, the Lord would give us grace to bear the test; but the tests of Christian life, at the present moment, though outwardly not so terrible, are yet more likely to overcome us than even those of the fiery age.

We have to bear the sneer of the world—that is little; its blandishments, its soft words, its oily speeches, its fawning, its hypocrisy, are far worse. Our danger is lest we grow rich and become proud, lest we give ourselves up to the fashions of this present evil world, and lose our faith. Or if wealth be not the trial, worldly care is quite as mischievous. If we cannot be torn in pieces by the roaring lion, if we may be hugged to death by the bear, the devil little cares which it is, so long as he destroys our love to Christ, and our confidence in him.

I fear me that the Christian church is far more likely to lose her integrity in these soft and silken days than in those rougher times. We must be awake now, for we traverse the enchanted ground, and are most likely to fall asleep to our own undoing, unless our faith in Jesus be a reality, and our love to Jesus a vehement flame. Many in these days of easy profession are likely to prove tares, and not wheat; hypocrites with fair masks on their faces, but not the true-born children of the living God. Christian, do not think that these are times in which you can dispense with watchfulness or with holy ardour; you need these things more than ever, and may God the eternal Spirit display his omnipotence in you, that you may be able to say, in all these softer things, as well as in the rougher, “We are more than conquerors through him that loved us.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
'He who is not for Me is against Me'
God - The Great Divider

Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.

Luke 12:51 NIV

Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet. Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was? So there was a division among the people because of him.

John 7:40-43 KJV

All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left. These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Matthew 25:32-33,46 NASB

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The Lord is King for ever and ever.”

Psalm 10:16

Jesus Christ is no despotic claimant of divine right, but he is really and truly the Lord's anointed! “It hath pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell.” God hath given to him all power and all authority. As the Son of man, he is now head over all things to his church, and he reigns over heaven, and earth, and hell, with the keys of life and death at his girdle. Certain princes have delighted to call themselves kings by the popular will, and certainly our Lord Jesus Christ is such in his church. If it could be put to the vote whether he should be King in the church, every believing heart would crown him.

O that we could crown him more gloriously than we do! We would count no expense to be wasted that could glorify Christ. Suffering would be pleasure, and loss would be gain, if thereby we could surround his brow with brighter crowns, and make him more glorious in the eyes of men and angels. Yes, he shall reign. Long live the King! All hail to thee, King Jesus! Go forth, ye virgin souls who love your Lord, bow at his feet, strew his way with the lilies of your love, and the roses of your gratitude: “Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord of all.”

Moreover, our Lord Jesus is King in Zion by right of conquest: he has taken and carried by storm the hearts of his people, and has slain their enemies who held them in cruel bondage. In the Red Sea of his own blood, our Redeemer has drowned the Pharaoh of our sins: shall he not be King in Jeshurun? He has delivered us from the iron yoke and heavy curse of the law: shall not the Liberator be crowned? We are his portion, whom he has taken out of the hand of the Amorite with his sword and with his bow: who shall snatch his conquest from his hand? All hail, King Jesus! we gladly own thy gentle sway! Rule in our hearts for ever, thou lovely Prince of Peace.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Does the Number 666 Mean?

On a recent episode of Word Matters, Trevin Wax and I discussed a few different views on the freaky number, 666. Let’s take a look at the passage in Revelation where we find this number, and then consider a few different options for the meaning of 666.

Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; it had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon. It exercises all the authority of the first beast on its behalf and compels the earth and those who live on it to worship the first beast, whose fatal wound was healed. It also performs great signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in front of people. It deceives those who live on the earth because of the signs that it is permitted to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who live on the earth to make an image of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.

It was permitted to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast could both speak and cause whoever would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. And it makes everyone—small and great, rich and poor, free and slave—to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark: the beast’s name or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom: Let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, because it is the number of a person. Its number is 666. (Revelation 13:11-18, CSB)

It’s worth point out at the start here that “666” is not necessarily even the number, because “616” appears in the earliest manuscript we have of Revelation 13:18. “666” is most common among most manuscripts, but isn’t the only number we see. In the CSB, for example, “666” is in the text, but there is a footnote that says, “Other Gk mss read 616.” When translators of any Bible translation are trying to decide how to render a text like this, they’ll often lean toward the word or number that appears in the most manuscripts, but the earlier manuscripts do hold some weight because they might be closer in time to the originals.

So, with that in mind, let’s look at some of the major views. Note: there are dozens of other views on what “666” means, but these are probably the most popular and plausible.

1. 666 represents a person or symbol in the future.
This view is sometimes called the futurist view, because it views the “mark of the beast” as something that’s not yet happened, and relates to a future Antichrist who will prepare the way for Jesus’s return. John is talking about something in the future, and therefore 666 doesn’t represent anything that would apply to his own time. This is popular in many churches, and particularly holds weight with the dispensational-leaning crowds, who view almost all of Revelation as a depiction of future events.

Some theories have suggested that “the mark of the beast” could be some sort of worldwide currency or designation. So, they would say that this mark might be referring to a certain type of microchip that people would need to wear or own to spend money, or it might be a way of claiming citizenship or allegiance to a particular worldwide government. So, “666” might or might not be the literal number, but this “mark” has something to do with the future and is a sign that Christ would be returning soon.

So in short, this view holds that “666” is part of a key to unlocking when and how Jesus will return.

2. 666 represents Nero, the hostile Roman Caesar.
This view is sometimes called the preterist view, though that term carries some theological baggage with it—some preterists would deny the future return of Jesus, for example—but the idea here is that “666” is referring to a particular person or object in John’s time of writing the book. So the last view would say that the “mark of the beast” is something that’s occurring later in relation to a future Antichrist, this view situates 666 within the direct context of Revelation’s writing and immediate audience.

This is where the variant numbers of 666 and 616 come into play a little more. This takes a little explanation, but hang with me. Proponents of this view follow an approach called “gematria,” which is the practice of assigning numbers to letters. The idea, then, is that each letter in a name has a numerical value (like, B = 10 and T = 200), which gives your name a numerical value when all the letters are added up. So if G = 10 and O = 5 and D = 5, the word “God” would equal 20, and that’d be the numerical value of his name. So a Christian could say, “I worship the number of a being, and his number is 20.”

This view points to “666” representing Nero, the Roman Emperor who was notoriously evil and violent. In a few different ways, gematria points to N + E + R + O = 666. Nero might’ve been dead by the time Revelation was written (depending on if you affirm an AD 65 dating or AD 95), but his reputation was felt throughout Rome for long after his death. Depending on if John was using the Hebrew, Greek, or Latin spelling of “Nero” or “Ceasar Nero,” there are various ways you can add up the letters in his name to reach the numbers 666 or 616. This would make sense, since Nero certainly qualified as a beast who tried to thwart God’s purposes.

Proponents of this view also point out a few pieces of context in this passage. For example, it’s mentioned in Revelation 13 that this mark has something to do with buying and selling. This is similar to a point those of the first view make – it must have something to do with economy or government, Roman coins contained the face and name of the Emperor on them, and so John could be trying to get across the idea that Roman coins had the “mark of the beast,” Nero’s name, on them, and so Christians should beware of being too involved in the economic or governmental rule of an anti-God government. And depending on which side of the kingdom you’re on, it’s possible Nero’s name was spelled differently, thus meaning that manuscripts from different areas of the Roman Empire might use 616 instead of 666.

There’s so much more to say on this view, but basically: “666” represents Nero, and John is telling his audience to remember that Jesus is Lord and Caesar is not. You can’t have allegiances to both kingdoms.

3. 666 represents an unholy Trinity.
This view is often called the idealist or figurative view. Though similar to the last view in saying that “666” is symbolic, they would say that trying to add up the numbers to reveal someone’s name is a waste of time, because it’s easy to manipulate the numbers or spellings to add up to any number you want.

Instead, this view says that “666” has universal or symbolic significance. So it’s not about some future code to break before Jesus returns, but it’s also not a code to break to understand which person the number might represent.

Many proponents of this view would say that “666” is used intentionally in contrast to “777” – the number understood to be complete perfect. So God’s number is 777, and 666 is some sort of unholy Trinity, three numbers added together that are just short of 777, and this just short of perfection. While sympathizing with both of the other views in saying that 666 is represents something or someone anti-God, it’s a more generic contrast to God’s good purposes of redemption.

In his monumental commentary on Revelation, G. K. Beale says,

The repetition of six three times seems to indicate what might be called the “completeness of sinful incompleteness” found in the beast. The beast epitomizes imperfection, while appearing to achieve divine perfection. Three sixes parody the divine Trinity of three sevens. … the beast as a counterfeit Christ and the second beast as a counterfeit prophet. When believers successfully resist the beast’s deception, they avoid being identified with the essence of his name, which is imperfection personified.

My View
First off, we should remember that John uses numbers as symbols often—everyone should agree with that. The real issue is which numbers we should take “literally” and which are figurative or coded. But I think we too often see Revelation as purely a future prediction book, and we miss that it’s a book rooted in its time, like all books of the Bible. The author, John, is receiving a vision from God that certainly depicts some future events, but he’s still a man in a context with an audience.

The audience of Revelation is living under strong persecution in most places, and they’re being challenged by the government to bow down to Caesar, who believes himself to be divine. So I think much of Revelation is coming from and intended for that context. The hearers of Revelation weren’t passive listeners to a book that wasn’t really about them, but merely about some people in the future.

So all that said, I would lean toward a hybrid of views 2 and 3.

There is a code to broken here—John tells them to “calculate the number of the beast,” and points out that the number is in fact a name. So it seems that some sort of play on a person’s name in view here, and he tells them that those who have wisdom and understanding actually have the ability to decode that number and know who the person is. I lean toward a later date for Revelation (AD 95), so I believe it was likely written during Caesar Domitian’s time and not Nero’s, but there’s also some historical evidence that indicates that Nero was sort of the archetype of caesarian persecution, and Domitian was considered a type of Nero. In that sense, John could’ve been telling his audience that Nero and others like him are the “beast.”

I also think the third view comes into play. That 666 contrasts 777 as an “unholy Trinity” could be true at the same time as view 2, because John could be using a double-meaning here—and we shouldn’t put that past him, considering how symbolic and clever he is with language. So, the “mark of the beast” could also be making the point that Nero is part of the anti-Trinity. But with the 616 variant manuscript, it’s a little less likely to me, although there are some arguments out there showing that 616 could indicate imperfection or an unholy Trinity.

The big point is this: Jesus is Lord and Caesar is not. Don’t bow down to false gods or false governments, but rather place your hope in the triune God who is redeeming all things. Nothing can thwart him, and no beast can devour him.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He Answers Prayer...keep your heart pure.
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

Mark 11:24,25 NIV

You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

James 4:3 NASB

Likewise you husbands, live considerately with your wives, bestowing honor on the woman as the weaker sex, since you are joint heirs of the grace of life, in order that your prayers may not be hindered.

1 Peter 3:7 RSV

If I regard iniquity in my heart,
the Lord will not hear me:

But verily God hath heard me;
he hath attended to the voice of my prayer.

Blessed be God, which hath not turned away
my prayer, nor his mercy from me.

Psalm 66:18-20 KJV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“All the house of Israel are impudent and hardhearted.”

Ezekiel 3:7

Are there no exceptions? No, not one. Even the favoured race are thus described. Are the best so bad?—then what must the worst be? Come, my heart, consider how far thou hast a share in this universal accusation, and while considering, be ready to take shame unto thyself wherein thou mayst have been guilty. The first charge is impudence, or hardness of forehead, a want of holy shame, an unhallowed boldness in evil.

Before my conversion, I could sin and feel no compunction, hear of my guilt and yet remain unhumbled, and even confess my iniquity and manifest no inward humiliation on account of it. For a sinner to go to God's house and pretend to pray to him and praise him argues a brazen-facedness of the worst kind! Alas! since the day of my new birth I have doubted my Lord to his face, murmured unblushingly in his presence, worshipped before him in a slovenly manner, and sinned without bewailing myself concerning it. If my forehead were not as an adamant, harder than flint, I should have far more holy fear, and a far deeper contrition of spirit. Woe is me, I am one of the impudent house of Israel.

The second charge is hardheartedness, and I must not venture to plead innocent here. Once I had nothing but a heart of stone, and although through grace I now have a new and fleshy heart, much of my former obduracy remains. I am not affected by the death of Jesus as I ought to be; neither am I moved by the ruin of my fellow men, the wickedness of the times, the chastisement of my heavenly Father, and my own failures, as I should be.

O that my heart would melt at the recital of my Saviour's sufferings and death. Would to God I were rid of this nether millstone within me, this hateful body of death. Blessed be the name of the Lord, the disease is not incurable, the Saviour's precious blood is the universal solvent, and me, even me, it will effectually soften, till my heart melts as wax before the fire.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Are Christians No Longer Sinners?

Some Christians actually say that they are no longer sinners, but what does the Bible say?

All Have Sinned
When my friend and I were witnessing to a man on the street, we asked him if he was a good person and he said, “No, I’m not a good person…I’m great” to which we pointed out the Bible verse that says “None is righteous, no, not one” (Rom 3:10), so I told him that either you are right and you are a good person or the Bible is wrong and there are good people out there. In reality, the Bible isn’t very flattering to believers or to the unsaved.

Our sins have separated us from God (Isaiah 59:2) and only through Christ’s perfect life of obedience can we be forgiven. I suppose if this man had a Bible, he’d blot out Romans 3, and a multitude of other Bible verses or even chapters, so we can’t deny that we are sinners and all our good works do is make us unacceptable to God. It won’t happen without Christ’s meritorious works on our behalf. God will not accept our works because they are an attempt at self-justification and Jesus warned about those who trusted in themselves and in their own righteousness.

Jesus said told the Jews the Parable of the Persistent Widow and said that they are “those who trusted in themselves they were righteous, and treated others with contempt” (Luke 18:9), so, so much for their righteousness if they treat others with contempt. Sadly, they thought they were righteous but were actually wearing filthy rags before God (Isaiah 59:2) and God will not accept their filthy works because even their best works cannot save them.

Wages of Sin
If we claim to have no sin, the Apostle John says we are liars. I’m not saying that…but God’s Word does as John writes “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” and “If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us” (1st John 1:8, 10), so to say you have no sin is to declare these verses wrong. We had a man join our church once who hated our prayers about being sinners and he said that he was not a sinner.

I told him what Martin Luther said that we’re sinners, yet saints, and obviously, a work in progress, but truly, we all earn what we deserve and the wages of our sins is death (Rom 6:23), and since all of us fall far short of God’s glory (Rom 3:23), we’ve got a huge problem that we cannot solve, but until a person confesses their sins, they don’t admit what the Scriptures have said, and that is there is not one who has not sinned. Only Jesus was without sin but no other human in history can make that claim. The man did say he used to be a sinner, but not anymore, so I asked him if he’s ever told a lie since he’s been saved…and all he could do is say nothing.

Jesus Died for Sinners
For the man who declared he was not a sinner, my heart felt sadness for him because I told him, “I am sorry you’re not a sinner because Jesus came to die for sinners,” and if you’re not a sinner anymore, why wouldn’t you be in heaven. He had no answer. He simply kept justifying himself by his good works but I pointed out to him, “I wouldn’t trust the best 5 minutes of my life to save me.” His own good works and mine are nothing but filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6). Job said “What is man, that he should be pure, Or he who is born of a woman, that he should be righteous” (John 15:14)?

Obviously the answer to this rhetorical question is men and women are not righteous, and if they think they are, their perception is not reality. We don’t even seek after God (Rom 3:11) because dead men can’t seek (Eph 2:1), so this man who kept justifying himself ignored biblical teaching that “All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one” (Rom 3:12), and “none” in any language adds up to zero!

Works = Nothing
Most world religions teach that you must do this and do that…and if you don’t, then you have nothing, but Christianity is not as much a religion as it is a relationship, and it is not about “do, do, do” but is “done” in Jesus Christ. The truth is “all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them” (Gal 3:10), so “no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith” (Gal 3:11). Thankfully, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us” (Gal 3:13a) and this is so that “so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith” (Gal 3:14).

Conclusion
Only God is good, as Jesus said, and He would know good better than we, so the fact is none of us are really good in ourselves because we’ve all fallen infinitely short of God’s glory, but Jesus has closed that gap on sinful creatures by His atoning death and we can receive the very righteousness of God through Jesus Christ (2nd Cor 5:21) and certainly not on our own merit or good works (Eph 2:8-9), but this takes the Spirit of God to make us new creations in Jesus Christ. The old creature cant’ do it…they are sinners, and even after conversion, the sin nature doesn’t automatically stop (Rom 7), so we will never be sinless this side of the veil…but we should at least be sinning less, but not ever sinless…until we are finally saved to sin no more.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Little Girls, Big Losses

I know two young girls who have both had a very bad time as animal owners. Within the space of a couple of years, while only in first or second grade, the older of the two lost a dog to distemper even though it had been properly vaccinated. The replacement dog, a small energetic animal, was hit by a car—right in front of the child’s eyes.

The younger child, still a pre-schooler had a dog all her life that was not very good-tempered. A few months ago, the dog bit her and had to be permanently “moved” to another home. While that dog was still alive, this little tyke had two nearly identical kittens from the same litter, one she kept at her mom’s home and one at her dad’s. The first cat disappeared within a few weeks but she had the other one a while longer, four or five months. It would wander the neighborhood until she stepped out of a car at her dad’s home and then it would run to her and leap into her arms…until one day it didn’t come home anymore. A puppy her mom acquired was hit by a car…driven by her mother as she backed down the driveway. A pet rabbit died. Another dog didn’t come home and was discovered dead on the highway.

As I said, these two young girls have both had really bad times with pets, but they also have something else in common. The older of the two spent the first few years of her life in the home of her grandparents and remained closely attached to them, seeing them every day even after she and her mother moved into their own home. It was very hard on her when her Grandpa passed away.

The other little girl has lived part of her life with her beloved grandmother and a much larger chunk of her very young life in the house right next door. Now her grandmother is in the end stages of cancer; and we know that before she even starts school, this sturdy little girl will have to face the terrible burden of losing her Grandma.

When I think about these two little girls, both given such sadness while still very young, I wonder if God did not make plans for them to have a taste of grief with their pets to enable them to survive the greater loss of family members. We felt bad for each of them when they lost pets they had grown to love, but perhaps that led them to an understanding of death they would otherwise not have had. These children know when there is death, there is no coming back. They have learned that even though death engenders sadness, we can still go on and live as we did before and that after a while we stop being quite as sad as before. Perhaps those lost animals were God’s angels sent to sacrifice themselves for the sake of training these children in the ways of death.

God’s ways are mysterious and in our human limitation we cannot know why things happen as they do, but we believe that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord; so maybe–just maybe—that was part of His purpose.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It Takes Faith
For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

1 John 5:4,5 NIV

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 11:6 KJV

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Ephesians 2:8,9 NASB

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galatians 2:20 RSV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He rules over all
You let us rule everything
your hands have made.
And you put all of it
under our power--

Psalm 8:6 CEV

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Amen.

Matthew 28:18-20 NKJV

In putting everything under him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Hebrews 2:8,9 NIV

For he "has put everything under his feet." Now when it says that "everything" has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ.

When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

1 Corinthians 15:27,28 NIV

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“The Lord taketh pleasure in his people.”

Psalm 149:4

How comprehensive is the love of Jesus! There is no part of his people's interests which he does not consider, and there is nothing which concerns their welfare which is not important to him. Not merely does he think of you, believer, as an immortal being, but as a mortal being too. Do not deny it or doubt it: “The very hairs of your head are all numbered.” “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.”

It were a sad thing for us if this mantle of love did not cover all our concerns, for what mischief might be wrought to us in that part of our business which did not come under our gracious Lord's inspection! Believer, rest assured that the heart of Jesus cares about your meaner affairs. The breadth of his tender love is such that you may resort to him in all matters; for in all your afflictions he is afflicted, and like as a father pitieth his children, so doth he pity you. The meanest interests of all his saints are all borne upon the broad bosom of the Son of God. Oh, what a heart is his, that doth not merely comprehend the persons of his people, but comprehends also the diverse and innumerable concerns of all those persons!

Dost thou think, O Christian, that thou canst measure the love of Christ? Think of what his love has brought thee—justification, adoption, sanctification, eternal life! The riches of his goodness are unsearchable; thou shalt never be able to tell them out or even conceive them. Oh, the breadth of the love of Christ! Shall such a love as this have half our hearts? Shall it have a cold love in return? Shall Jesus’ marvelous lovingkindness and tender care meet with but faint response and tardy acknowledgment? O my soul, tune thy harp to a glad song of thanksgiving! Go to thy rest rejoicing, for thou art no desolate wanderer, but a beloved child, watched over, cared for, supplied, and defended by thy Lord.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Late one night, a burglar broke into a house he thought was empty.

He tiptoed through the living room but suddenly he froze in his tracks when he heard a loud voice say: “Jesus is watching you!”

Silence returned to the house, so the burglar crept forward again.

“Jesus is watching you,” the voice boomed again.

The burglar stopped dead again. He was frightened. Frantically, he looked all around. In a dark corner, he spotted a bird cage and in the cage was a parrot.

He asked the parrot: “Was that you who said Jesus is watching me?”

“Yes,” said the parrot.

The burglar breathed a sigh of relief, and asked the parrot: “What’s your name?”

“Clarence,” said the bird.

“That’s a dumb name for a parrot,” sneered the burglar. “What idiot named you Clarence?”

The parrot said, “The same idiot who named the Rottweiller Jesus.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don’t Let Bitterness Take Root

We all have unfair and unjust things happen to us; that’s a part of life. When we are hurt, we can choose to hold on to that pain and become bitter, or we can choose to let it go and trust God to make it up to us.

I heard somewhere that 70 percent of people today are angry about something. Imagine that! Seven out of every ten people you encounter today will be angry. And that’s not counting the people who pass you on the freeway!

thumbnail
People who harbor anger often don’t realize it, but they are poisoning their own lives. When we don’t forgive, we’re not hurting the other person. We’re not hurting the company that did us wrong. We’re not hurting God. We’re only hurting ourselves.

If you want to live your best life now, you must be quick to forgive. Learn to let go of the hurts and pains of the past. Don’t let bitterness take root in your life. Maybe something happened to you when you were younger, somebody mistreated you, somebody took advantage of you. Perhaps somebody cheated you out of a promotion or lied about you. Maybe a good friend betrayed you, and you have a good reason to be angry and bitter.

For your emotional and spiritual health, you must let that go. It doesn’t do any good to go around hating somebody. Nor does it make any sense to stay angry for what somebody’s already done to you. You can’t do anything about the past, but you can do something about the future. You might as well forgive and start trusting God to make it up to you.

The Scripture says, Make sure that no root of bitterness shoots forth and causes trouble and many become contaminated by it.” Notice, bitterness is described as a root. Think about that. You can’t see a root; it’s deep down under the ground. But you can be sure of this: A bitter root will produce bitter fruit. If we have bitterness on the inside, it’s going to affect every area of our lives.

Many people attempt to bury the hurt and pain deep in their hearts or in their subconscious minds. They harbor unforgiveness and resentment, and then they wonder why they can’t really live in victory, why they can’t get along with other people, why they can’t be happy. They don’t realize it, but it’s because their own hearts are poisoned. The Bible says, “Out of the heart flow the issues of life.” In other words, if we have bitterness on the inside, it’s going to end up contaminating everything that comes out of us. It will contaminate our personalities and our attitudes, as well as how we treat other people.

A lot of people are trying to improve their lives by dealing with the external fruit. They are attempting to rectify their bad habits, bad attitudes, bad tempers, or negative and sour personalities. They’re dealing with the fruit of their lives, trying to change those things, and that is noble. But the truth is, unless they get to the root, they will never be able to change the fruit. Because as long as that bitter root is growing on the inside, that problem will persist and keep popping up time and again. You may be able to control your behavior for a while or keep a good attitude for a short period of time, but have you ever wondered why you can’t really get free? Why you can’t overcome that destructive habit?

You have to go deeper. You must discover why you are so angry, why you can’t get along with other people, why you are always so negative. If you’ll look deeply and get to the root, then you’ll be able to deal with the problem, overcome it, and truly begin to change.

Poisons of the Past

I remember a young woman who came to my dad for spiritual help. She had gotten married and for several years could not have a normal relationship with her husband. For some reason, she just couldn’t fully give herself to this man. She loved him, but she couldn’t stand for him to be close to her and to be intimate with her. As you can imagine, this problem was destroying their relationship.

She tried to change, but she couldn’t do it. She said, “God, what is wrong with me? Why do I act this way? Why can’t I be a normal wife?”

One day she had a dream, and it reminded her of something that had happened when she was a young girl. In this dream, she saw herself out at the lake swimming, and several young boys came over and sexually assaulted her. She was so angry and so filled with hatred toward those boys, she began to scream, “I hate you! I hate you! I’ll never let another man touch me as long as I live.”

When she awakened, she realized that she still had all that anger and hatred in her heart toward those boys. It was buried deep down inside, and it was affecting her relationship with her husband many years later. She knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but she recognized she had to deal with that unforgiveness, or she would never have a healthy relationship. She decided to release all that hurt and pain. She said, “God, You know it wasn’t right. You know what they did to me. But I’m not going to hold on to it any longer; I’m not going to allow the pain from the past to poison my present and my future. God, I forgive those boys right now.

Interestingly, from that moment on, she was able to enjoy a healthy relationship with her husband. She couldn’t change by dealing with thefruit, she had to get down to the root. And once the bitter root was gone, she was able to break free from her past.

Certainly, you do not need to go back and relive every negative experience, recalling all the painful memories of the past. Not at all. But you should examine your heart to make sure you haven’t buried anger and unforgiveness on the inside. If you have areas in your life where you are constantly struggling, trying to change but finding yourself unable to do so, you need to ask God to show you what’s keeping you from being free. Ask God to show you if you have any bitter roots that need to be dug up and extracted. If God brings something to light, be quick to deal with it. Be willing to change. Don’t let the poisons of the past continue to contaminate your life.

Years ago there was a terrible outbreak of disease in a tiny village in a remote part of Africa. Both children and adults were getting sick and overcome with nausea. Several weeks passed, and the sickness became widespread, and people started dying. Word of the disease reached the main city in that area, and experts were dispatched to try to figure out what was causing the problem. They soon discovered that the water was contaminated. The village got its water supply from a mountain stream that was fed from a spring, so the experts decided to trek upstream and hopefully find the source of the pollution. They traveled for days and finally came to the mouth of the stream. But on the surface, they found nothing wrong. Puzzled, they decided to send some divers down to search as closely to the spring’s opening as possible.

What the divers discovered shocked the experts. A large mother pig and her baby piglets were wedged right at the opening of the spring. Evidently they had fallen in, drowned, and somehow gotten stuck there. Now all that crystal clear, pure mountain spring water was being contaminated as it flowed past the decomposing remains of those dead pigs. In no time after the divers were able to extricate the dead pigs, the water began to flow clean and pure once again.

In our lives, something similar takes place. We’ve all had negative things happen to us. Maybe last week, last month, or ten years ago somebody hurt us. And too often, instead of letting it go and giving it to God, we’ve held on to it. We haven’t forgiven, and just as those pigs soured that crystal-clear water, our own lives have become contaminated. The root of bitterness has taken hold.

Worse yet, after a while, we accept it. We make room in our hearts for that bitterness; we learn to live with it. “Well, I’m just an angry person. That’s just my personality I’m always like this. I’m always bitter. This is who I am.”

No, with all due respect, that’s not who you are. You need to get rid of the poison that is polluting your life. You were made to be a crystal-clear stream. God created you in His image. He wants you to be happy healthy and whole. God wants you to enjoy life to the full, not to live with bitterness and resentment, polluted and putrefied yourself and contaminating everyone else with whom you have influence.

Imagine yourself as a crystal-clear stream. It doesn’t matter how polluted the stream may be right now, or how muddy or murky the waters may look in your life today. If you’ll begin to forgive the people who have offended you, and release all those hurts and pains, that bitterness will leave and you’ll begin to see that crystal-clear water once again. You’ll begin to experience the joy, peace, and freedom God intended you to have.

Maybe that’s why David said, “Search my heart, oh God, and point out anything in me that makes you sad.” We need to search our hearts and make sure we haven’t let any roots of bitterness take hold.

It may not be a big thing that is polluting your stream. Maybe your spouse is not spending as much time with you as you’d like, and you can feel yourself starting to get resentful. You’re short with your mate; sarcastic, cryptic, or unfriendly. You’re intentionally becoming harder to get along with.

Watch out! That root of bitterness is contaminating your life. Keep your stream pure. Don’t let your heart get polluted. The Bible talks about being quick to forgive, and the longer we wait, the harder it’s going to be. The longer we hold on to resentment, the deeper that root of bitterness grows.

Sometimes, instead of forgiving quickly letting go of the hurts and pains of the past, we quietly bury them deep down inside our hearts and minds. We don’t want to talk about the issue. We don’t want to think about it. We want to ignore it and hope that it will go away.

It won’t. Just like those pigs trapped beneath the water, one day that contamination will show up in your life, and it will be a mess. It will cause you even more pain and sorrow, and if you refuse to deal with it, that bitterness could kill you.

A few decades ago, several American companies authorized by the U.S. government attempted to bury toxic waste products underground. They filled large metal containers with chemical waste and other life threatening products, sealed the drums tightly and buried them deep down below the topsoil. They thought that was the end of it. Within a short time, however, many of the containers began to leak and the toxic waste started seeping to the surface, causing all sorts of problems. In some locations, it killed off the vegetation and ruined the water supply. People had to move out of their homes. In one section near Niagara Falls, known as the love Canal, an inordinate number of people began dying of cancer and other debilitating diseases. Many communities are still suffering the effects of toxic-waste burials to this day.

What went wrong? They tried to bury something that was too toxic. It couldn’t be contained. They thought they could bury it, and be rid of it once and for all. But they didn’t realize that the materials they were attempting to bury were so powerful. They were too toxic for the containers to hold. They never dreamed that one day these contaminants would resurface, and they would have to eliminate them all over again. But this time, the toxic materials would be dispersed, and much more difficult to deal with. Had they disposed of them properly in the first place, they wouldn’t have had this terrible problem.

It’s the same with us. When somebody hurts us, somebody does us wrong, instead of letting it go and trusting God to make it up to us, we bury it deep down on the inside. We attempt to cram unforgiveness, resentment, anger, and other destructive responses into our “leak-proof” containers. We seal those lids tightly. Then we put them aside and say, “Good. I’m not going to have to deal with that. I’m rid of it once and for all.”

But unfortunately, just as that toxic waste tends to resurface, one day the things you have tamped into your subconscious or buried deeply in the recesses of your heart will rise to the surface and begin to contaminate your life. We can’t live with poison inside us and not expect it to eventually do us harm.

Face it. You are not strong enough to contain the toxicity in your life. You need help from someone bigger and stronger than yourself. That’s why you need to give that bitterness, resentment, and other contaminants to God. Forgiveness is the key to being free from toxic bitterness. Forgive the people who hurt you. Forgive the boss who did you wrong. Forgive the friend who betrayed you. Forgive the parent who mistreated you when you were younger. Get rid of all that poison. Don’t let the root of bitterness grow deeper and continue to contaminate your life.

What does this toxic waste look like in our lives? For some people, it seeps out as anger. In other people it smells like depression. For others, it reeks of low self-esteem. It can show up in many different ways, sometimes doing damage before we even realize it has reappeared.

The famous boxer James “Lights Out” Toney was known for his aggressiveness in the ring. He fought like a man possessed. He wielded a powerful punch, and for many years, he was the middleweight champion of the world. One day after one of his victories, a reporter asked him, “James, what makes you so good? Why do you fight with such tremendous aggression and passion in the ring?”

The reporter expected the standard answer. Something like, ‘Well, you know; I’m just competitive. That’s who I am. I love to box.”

But that’s not what Toney said. “Do you really want to know why I fight with such anger and aggression?” asked the boxer. “It’s because my dad abandoned me when I was a child. He left me and my brothers and sisters alone, fatherless, to be raised by my mother all by herself. And now when I step into the ring I picture my dad’s face on my opponent’s. And I have so much hatred, so much anger toward him, I just explode.”

Toney was driven by his anger. He had let that root of bitterness get a deep hold on him, and it was poisoning and contaminating his lift. Yes, he was winning the applause of the crowd, the acclaim of the sports world, but he was miserable on the inside. You can have success on the outside, but if you’re bitter on the inside, it’s going to spoil and taint every victory. You must deal with the inside first. You must get to the root of the problem; then you can really be happy. Then you can experience true, untainted, unalloyed victory in your life.

You may be thinking, Joel, I can’t do it. It’s too hard. I just can’t forgive. They hurt me too badly.

Wait a minute! You are not forgiving for their sake, you are forgiving for your sake. You are forgiving so that poison doesn’t continue to contaminate your life. If somebody has done you a great wrong, don’t allow them to continue to hurt you by hanging on to it. You’re not hurting them at all. You’re only hurting yourself.

I remember one time when I was a little boy, my dad and I were going to lunch with a man. He was driving, and we noticed he wasn’t taking the shortest mute to the restaurant. My dad politely and innocently said, “You know; there’s a quicker way”

The man driving the car responded, “Oh, no. We don’t go that way. Years ago somebody that lives on that street did our family wrong, and now we don’t drive by their house anymore.”

I didn’t say anything, but even as a ten-year-old boy, I wanted to ask him, “Do you really think you’re hurting that man? Do you really think that he’s standing there by the window, looking outside, getting depressed because you’re not coming by?”

Who are we kidding? When we hold on to poison from the past, we’re only hurting ourselves. We’re not hurting anybody else. We need to forgive so we can be free. Forgive so you can be made whole.

Forgive to Be Free

I recently watched a television program about Rudy Tomjanovich, the former coach of the Houston Rockets basketball team. The program recounted an event in 1973, when as a robust twenty-five-year-old, Rudy was playing for the Rockets. In the middle of a close game, a fight broke out at center court. Rudy rushed over there, running at full speed, to try to break it up. Just as he got there, a player whipped around and without even looking, swung as hard as he could. Unfortunately, the punch landed right in Rudy’s face. It was called the punch heard around the world. It fractured Rudy’s skull, broke his nose and cheekbones, and nearly killed him. Although Rudy was sidelined for months following the devastating blow, he eventually recovered.

One day after Rudy had recuperated, a reporter asked him, “Rudy, have you ever forgiven the player that did that to you?” Without hesitation, Rudy said immediately, “Absolutely I’ve totally forgiven him.”

The reporter shook his head as though he was perplexed. “Come on, Rudy, that guy nearly killed you. He caused you all that pain. He stole part of your career. Do you mean to tell me that you don’t have any anger, any hatred or bitterness toward him?”

Rudy smiled. “I don’t have any at all.”

That reporter stared at him in disbelief. He finally asked, “Rudy, tell me, how’d you do it? How could you possibly forgive that man who hurt you so badly?”

Rudy replied, “I knew if I wanted to move on with my life, I had to let it go. I didn’t do it for him. I did it for me. I did it so I could be free.”

That’s good advice. You need to forgive so you can be free. Forgive so you can be happy. Forgive so you can get out of that bondage. We have to remember, when we forgive we’re not doing it just for the other person, we’re doing it for our own good. When we hold on tounforgiveness and we live with grudges in our hearts, all we’re doing is building walls of separation. We think we’re protecting ourselves, but we’re not. We are simply shutting other people out of our lives. We become isolated, alone, warped and imprisoned by our own bitterness. Those walls aren’t merely keeping people out; those walls are keeping you penned in.

Do you realize that those walls will also prevent God’s blessings from pouring into your life? Those walls can stop up the flow of God’s favor. The walls of unforgiveness will keep your prayers from being answered. They’ll keep your dreams from coming to pass. You must tear down the walls. You must forgive the people who hurt you so you can get out of prison. You’ll never be free until you do. Let go of those wrongs they’ve done to you. Get that bitterness out of your life. That’s the only way you re going to truly be free. You will be amazed at what can happen in your life when you release all that poison.

When I was growing up, we had a former Methodist minister in our church. His hands were so crippled with arthritis, he could hardly use them. They looked as though they had shriveled up and were deformed. He couldn’t open a car door. He couldn’t shake hands or anything like that. For as long as I’d known him, his hands had been that way. But one day, he went to my dad and showed him his hands—they were perfectly normal! He could move them like any of us, almost as though he had received a new set of hands.

My dad was surprised, but so happy for him. He said, “Man, what in the world happened to you?”

“Well, it’s an interesting story,” the former minister said. “Several months ago, you were talking about unforgiveness. You were speaking on how it keeps God’s power from operating in our lives, and how it keeps our prayers from being answered. As I listened, I began to ask God to show me if I had any areas of unforgiveness and resentment in my life. And God began to deal with me. He brought to light several situations that had happened to me down through the years in which people had done me great wrong. I didn’t even know it, but I still had anger and resentment in my heart toward those people. That’s the odd part; I didn’t realize I was carrying it around. But as soon as I saw it, I made a decision to forgive them and totally let it go. And then the most amazing thing began to happen. One by one, my fingers started straightening out. One week went by and this finger would get healed. The next week this finger got healed. The next week this finger. As I continued to search my heart and eliminate all that bitterness and resentment, God brought complete healing back to me, and now look at my hands. I’m perfectly normal!”

You, too, will be amazed at the great things that will start happening in your life when you rid yourself of bitterness and resentment. Who knows? Perhaps, like that Methodist minister, you may experience genuine physical and emotional healing as you search your heart and are willing to forgive. You may see God’s favor in a fresh, new way. You may see your prayers answered more quickly as you let go of the past and get rid of all that poison you now harbor.

When my mother discovered that she was sick with cancer in 1981, one of the first things she did was to make sure she didn’t have any unforgiveness in her heart. She sat down and wrote letters to her friends and family, asking us to forgive her if she had ever done any wrong toward us. She wanted to make sure that her heart was pure. She wanted to make sure that nothing she was doing or had done would interfere with God’s healing power flowing into her.

You may be at a crossroads in your life. You may have issues to deal with; people you need to forgive. You can go one of two ways. You can ignore what you now know to be true and keep burying that bitterness in your life, pushing it deeper and allowing it to poison and contaminate you and those around you. Or, you can make a much better choice by getting it out in the open and asking God to help you to totally forgive and let it all go.

“But Joel,” I hear you saying. “You don’t know what they did to me.

No, I don’t. But you must turn the issue over to God. He will make it up to you. God will make the wrongs right. He’ll bring justice into your life. Don’t be hardheaded and stubborn and miss out on God’s best. Be willing to change.

I heard an old story about the captain of a ship that was sailing on a dark, pitch-black night. The captain suddenly noticed a bright light directly in front of him, and he knew that his ship was on a collision course with the light. He rushed to the radio and sent an urgent message, demanding that the vessel change its course ten degrees east.

A few seconds later, he received a message in return. The message said, “Cannot do it. Change your course ten degrees west.”

The captain got angry. He sent another cryptic message, “I’m a navy captain. I demand you change your course.

He received a message back a few seconds later. It said, “I’m a seaman second class. Cannot do it. Change your course.

The captain was now furious. He sent one final message. It said, “I’m a battleship, and I’m not changing my course!”

He got a curt message in return. It said, “I’m a lighthouse. It’s your choice, sir.”

Many times, we are like that navy captain; we can be hardheaded and stubborn. We can think of all the reasons why we’re not going to change: They hurt me too badly. They did too much wrong to me. I’m not going to forgive.

This book is your personal lighthouse, beaming truth into your life, saying you must change your course. Forgiveness is a choice, but it is not an option. Jesus put it this way: “If you don’t forgive other people, then your Father in heaven is not going to forgive you.” When you hold on tounforgiveness, you are headed for trouble. You are on a destructive path. And God is saying to change your course.

If you want to be happy, if you want to be free, get that junk out of your life. Quit holding on to it; let it go. Don’t let the root of bitterness continue to poison your life. Search your heart. When God brings issues to light, be quick to deal with them. Keep your stream pure. Friend, if you’ll do your part and keep the poison out of your life, you’ll see God’s favor and blessings in a new way

Do you want God to bring justice in your life? How would you like for God to restore everything that has been stolen from you? Come on; I’ll show you how that can happen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God.”

Psalm 139:17

Divine omniscience affords no comfort to the ungodly mind, but to the child of God it overflows with consolation. God is always thinking upon us, never turns aside his mind from us, has us always before his eyes; and this is precisely as we would have it, for it would be dreadful to exist for a moment beyond the observation of our heavenly Father. His thoughts are always tender, loving, wise, prudent, far-reaching, and they bring to us countless benefits: hence it is a choice delight to remember them. The Lord always did think upon his people: hence their election and the covenant of grace by which their salvation is secured; he always will think upon them: hence their final perseverance by which they shall be brought safely to their final rest.

In all our wanderings the watchful glance of the Eternal Watcher is evermore fixed upon us—we never roam beyond the Shepherd's eye. In our sorrows he observes us incessantly, and not a pang escapes him; in our toils he marks all our weariness, and writes in his book all the struggles of his faithful ones. These thoughts of the Lord encompass us in all our paths, and penetrate the innermost region of our being. Not a nerve or tissue, valve or vessel, of our bodily organization is uncared for; all the littles of our little world are thought upon by the great God.

Dear reader, is this precious to you? then hold to it. Never be led astray by those philosophic fools who preach up an impersonal God, and talk of self-existent, self-governing matter. The Lord liveth and thinketh upon us, this is a truth far too precious for us to be lightly robbed of it. The notice of a nobleman is valued so highly that he who has it counts his fortune made; but what is it to be thought of by the King of kings! If the Lord thinketh upon us, all is well, and we may rejoice evermore.