• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just Arrived in Australia

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
QXD not around so I (busybody) answer first.

Welcome to Perth. Hope you find the people here normal. We are rather insular, being remote from the next big city.
So even a WA footy player's finger fracture will make BIG news.

QXD is right. Our priority here is different from Singaporeans. Eg We do not even like the "Kiasu" Sydney people or the "Kia-se" Canberra people. (I always joke about them) Try to unlearn your Singapore mentality and you will enjoy yourself here. :smile:

Back to your question........

In insurance term, loading means the extra premium you pay on top of the usual.
Eg Travel Insurance for a normal person is $100. But travel insurance for someone with medical problem may be $120. That $20 is the loading.
So, if you are age 40 and you apply for a health fund, they will add 9 years of loading into your premium.

When it comes to salary, if you have leave loading, it means the extra pay the employer give you to enjoy your holidays. :biggrin:
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/industri...or-annual-leave-and-annual-leave-loading.aspx

About the MR driver licence (not license - just as advice not advise.)
Just get the Class C licence first.
Last time, it is quite easy to convert from Singapore licence. Just take the computer test and you will get the result on the same day.
If you are holding a UK driver licence like mine, you can even get a HR licence upon conversion.
check out: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20389.asp

Remember, angmo like procedures, you will find them on the internet. Just don't get information overload.

This is the spring wildflowers season, go visit Kings' Park. http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/festival

*** Forgot this point, keep your recent utilities, telephone bills that have your name and address on it. It can be used as a legal document when doing a 100 point identity check - remember, we do not have NRIC here ****

Hi Neddy,

Thanks for your reply.

My wife stayed here for 2 years sometime back and love the place. I am not sure why but I'll find out. As long as I can find any source of income to support my family, I'm happy for now. I think I will be happy to adapt to how people work and think here, just tell me more when you are free.

I followed your link and read that licence holders from recognise countries need not take a theory test. Not sure if the rules have changed. (hopefully!) I will get it done asap once I have the necessary documents they need. Probably will inquire about the MR stuff over there too.

I have a direct bus from where I stay that goes to King's Park! Maybe I'll visit when it is not so rainy. Thanks for the info!

Fortunately my wife is meticulous and keeps all documents for us, as well as accounts of every single spending. So we should be okay regarding identity checks :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Neddy,

Thanks for your reply.

My wife stayed here for 2 years sometime back and love the place. I am not sure why but I'll find out. As long as I can find any source of income to support my family, I'm happy for now. I think I will be happy to adapt to how people work and think here, just tell me more when you are free.

I followed your link and read that licence holders from recognise countries need not take a theory test. Not sure if the rules have changed. (hopefully!) I will get it done asap once I have the necessary documents they need. Probably will inquire about the MR stuff over there too.

I have a direct bus from where I stay that goes to King's Park! Maybe I'll visit when it is not so rainy. Thanks for the info!

Fortunately my wife is meticulous and keeps all documents for us, as well as accounts of every single spending. So we should be okay regarding identity checks :smile:

Take bus in Perth :eek:

This week - got "cold front" - rain, hail and strong wind, not to mention the cold. Better rent a car - it is a lot quicker if you want to get things done. Eg touchwood if you forget to bring some docos. (Just a thought)

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR703.loop.shtml#skip

There are some cheap rentals around if you do not want to go for the touristy car rentals.

Baywaters is good
Look under the Yellow.
eg http://www.yellowpages.com.au/wa/maylands/swan-car-rentals-12851888-listing.html

*** Not sure how much King's Park entry for the springflowers, it ends this weekend (1 Oct???) but I think the flowers should still be around for free viewing

You think you know by now that mistakes are more tolerable here (so even customer service may tell you the wrong things) and also there are strong consumer rights - if you buy something by mistake, you can do refund or exchange with the receipt.

*** Baby Bonus is paid per eligible child in 13 fortnightly instalments. From 1 July 2011, customers eligible to receive Baby Bonus will get a higher first instalment of $879.77 and 12 fortnightly instalments of approximately $379.77. The higher first instalment of Baby Bonus will assist with the upfront costs of having a new child.
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/family-assistance-payments/baby-bonus/

Last edited:

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Neddy.
I got myself a 16 year old car. It's old I know but that'll do now for me I guess.

Job hunt has been terrible. In the end I couldn't find a job on my own merit. I got a casual one via a friend's help. It's a workshop dealing with metal fabrication. i'm delighted having a job even though i've done nothing like that before. hopefully things will pick up from here.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Start slow, enjoy your time. So long as you have enough to feed your family, be happy and cherish every moment of freedom.

Once things start to pick up, you might even find time to go for something better.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Neddy.
I got myself a 16 year old car. It's old I know but that'll do now for me I guess.

Job hunt has been terrible. In the end I couldn't find a job on my own merit. I got a casual one via a friend's help. It's a workshop dealing with metal fabrication. i'm delighted having a job even though i've done nothing like that before. hopefully things will pick up from here.

At least you have a car now. A lot easier if you need to go for job interviews.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Motor_Vehicles/index.html

A casual job, good. All migrants have to start somewhere. You are already better off. A man needs a job. That is a fact. Usually, Dec-Jan are low periods for job hunting. No one working to conduct interviews. But do not be surprise if you found a better job during this period because your competitors are on leave as well.

Casual jobs are not unusual here. I know a free-lancer at a local newspaper who is paid $32 per hour at Curtin Univ for admin work, 2 times a week. It pays the bills.

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least you have a car now. A lot easier if you need to go for job interviews.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Motor_Vehicles/index.html

A casual job, good. All migrants have to start somewhere. You are already better off. A man needs a job. That is a fact. Usually, Dec-Jan are low periods for job hunting. No one working to conduct interviews. But do not be surprise if you found a better job during this period because your competitors are on leave as well.

Casual jobs are not unusual here. I know a free-lancer at a local newspaper who is paid $32 per hour at Curtin Univ for admin work, 2 times a week. It pays the bills.

I'm happy. This casual job means a lot to me.
First, it brings back the bacon obviously. Second, it will help a lot in future job hunting for I realised you can be the Prime Minister of Singapore. If you have no Aussie experience or local referees, you'll out.

Like you said, I'm considered lucky to find a job within a month of my arrival. I was already starting to be panicking though I knew it takes awhile. Couldn't help it.

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm happy. This casual job means a lot to me.
First, it brings back the bacon obviously. Second, it will help a lot in future job hunting for I realised you can be the Prime Minister of Singapore. If you have no Aussie experience or local referees, you'll out.

Like you said, I'm considered lucky to find a job within a month of my arrival. I was already starting to be panicking though I knew it takes awhile. Couldn't help it.

Hi ... curious. Do single-income casual jobs pay sufficiently to live in AU? I mean to maintain a frugal but a reasonably comfortable life, like 3 meals a day, transport, pay the utilities and lodging? Or do we require dual incomes to survive, like in Singapore? I am not expecting a extremely comfortable life upon arrival.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wife has returned to work at reduced hours recently. The school's mummies said : 'what a poor child.. Ya mummy needs to work'. @&$)(!?.. The reality is, only one partner needs to work and the next partner takes care of kids.

Affordability will be resolved if both working in Oz. Life is different in Oz compare to SG.
Hi ... curious. Do single-income casual jobs pay sufficiently to live in AU? I mean to maintain a frugal but a reasonably comfortable life, like 3 meals a day, transport, pay the utilities and lodging? Or do we require dual incomes to survive, like in Singapore? I am not expecting a extremely comfortable life upon arrival.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Have a look at this article for Melb.
http://theage.domain.com.au/real-es...oo-much-for-many-families-20110328-1cdh0.html

I should be look at least $100k for a comfortable life, assuming an annual holidays to Singapore, eating out and have some savings.

I also have a graph somewhere to detail household expenses.

IT sector pay, select your state.
http://www.peoplebank.com.au/knowledge/salary-survey.php

It used to be lesser when everyone is on single income in the 70s. Then some people thought that dual income means better lifestyle, so when everyone think the same, house prices go up. And now, you really need 2 income if your income is average $70k. Wife can work casual.

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have a look at this article for Melb.
http://theage.domain.com.au/real-es...oo-much-for-many-families-20110328-1cdh0.html

I should be look at least $100k for a comfortable life, assuming an annual holidays to Singapore, eating out and have some savings.

I also have a graph somewhere to detail household expenses.

IT sector pay, select your state.
http://www.peoplebank.com.au/knowledge/salary-survey.php

It used to be lesser when everyone is on single income in the 70s. Then some people thought that dual income means better lifestyle, so when everyone think the same, house prices go up. And now, you really need 2 income if your income is average $70k. Wife can work casut l.

100K would be great.. not sure if can secure that soon after arrival ... I think the holidays back to SG can wait for a while. I guess the main costs priority would be lodging, food and transport, also school for the kids, and other incidentals. Once a base is secured, then probably can start considering holidays within AU and outside, incl Singapore.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the lodging side, a good thing going for me, is that I have close relatives that are willing to let me stay at their place until we get on our own feet. This would be a great savings on the lodging side, and we can then concentrate on getting the kids to a good school and finding a good job. I can't say thanks enough for their offer. Now... just waiting for that GSM visa to get it all going!

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ok, i'll share with you about my new job. It's a banglah job lah, nothing to brag about. But it pays the bills, unless I calculated wrongly.

They'll pay me 27.60/hr, 15% extra on top of it if I do night shift, which I am (3pm-12am), 1.5x for OT, 2x for OT on Sats and Suns, 3x on Public holidays. $60.00 extra each week if I turn up to work on time every day of that week.

I reckon I can survive without my wife working. Of course, if we are intending to buy a small house or something in future, it'll be better if both of us are working. Else, meanwhile, I think it'll work out.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, i'll share with you about my new job. It's a banglah job lah, nothing to brag about. But it pays the bills, unless I calculated wrongly.

They'll pay me 27.60/hr, 15% extra on top of it if I do night shift, which I am (3pm-12am), 1.5x for OT, 2x for OT on Sats and Suns, 3x on Public holidays. $60.00 extra each week if I turn up to work on time every day of that week.

I reckon I can survive without my wife working. Of course, if we are intending to buy a small house or something in future, it'll be better if both of us are working. Else, meanwhile, I think it'll work out.

thanks for the info... if banglahs are paid like that in Singapore, they'd be damn rich, ha ha!

How's the taxation for someone in your income category?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks for the info... if banglahs are paid like that in Singapore, they'd be damn rich, ha ha!

How's the taxation for someone in your income category?

Please compare apples with apples. In OZ, the cost of living here is higher.

That is pretty standard. Over in Perth, you can read all these if you are very very free http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/LabourRelations/
Basically, it set your wages, leave, public holidays etc. All of your benefits comes from those laws. I will be concerned if you do not get them.

Do not get too comfortable on casual rates. Move on something more substantial when you have a chance.
Do you actually have a work contract?
What is your super and PAYG like ?

Last edited:

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please compare apples with apples. In OZ, the cost of living here is higher.

That is pretty standard. Over in Perth, you can read all these if you are very very free http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/LabourRelations/
Basically, it set your wages, leave, public holidays etc. All of your benefits comes from those laws. I will be concerned if you do not get them.

Do not get too comfortable on casual rates. Move on something more substantial when you have a chance.
Do you actually have a work contract?
What is your super and PAYG like ?

super is 9% from employer. I'm not sure what's the PAYG rate yet. I'll know on Monday or the latest at the end of next week with the first pay slip.
I have an interview with a construction firm next week, that role would be something similar to what i did in Singapore.
To be honest, I don't think I'll do very well in the interview.. as least in my current situation.

Any interview tips will be appreciated, pertaining to Aussie context :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
super is 9% from employer. I'm not sure what's the PAYG rate yet. I'll know on Monday or the latest at the end of next week with the first pay slip.
I have an interview with a construction firm next week, that role would be something similar to what i did in Singapore.
To be honest, I don't think I'll do very well in the interview.. as least in my current situation.

Any interview tips will be appreciated, pertaining to Aussie context :smile:

9% super is standard.

Just general tips. not sure whether can help or not.

1. Relax. The interviewer just want to know whether you can do the job. Just highlight your strong points without offending or put off Aussies (eg asking for lower pay or show that you are too smart or too hardworking)

2. I have Indians who like to show me all their certificates. I am not interested. We will look at cert ,police clearance (if required), eligibility to work later. Basically, people like me just want to chat with you and see your response. I will see your physical features (whether you are on drugs, etc)

3. If you can describe what you do - give some examples of your experience. You can ask back if you see the interviewers getting bored. For me, I will gladly steer the interviewee back to relevance. If you see me nod my head, it means that I agree with your point.
Remember the construction is different from Singapore (clay) and Perth (sand pit). Why the Koreans tile pop in Singapore (too humid) we do not have a problem here with that same epoxy.

4. Singlish is very fast with intonation and stresses at the wrong place, try to speak slower. Don't answer too softly.

5. Dress neatly and appropriately.

Always treat the interview as an experience. You have nothing to lose and an interview experience to gain. Getting the job will be excellent of course.

Good luck!

At the end of the day, you need a job that the bank will dare to lent you money to buy house.

Last edited:

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
probably around 20%

No lah 37K-80K tax = approx 30% income tax

80K+ = 37% tax

180K (small money for live inside sydney) = 45% tax

+++ super, medi hospital tax, 10%GST, cig tax, alchohol tax, car import tax etc etc etc

Ozzieland = +++ tax no money one all go to garment

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last edited: