• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's Official! Sinkies Own Their HDB Flat! Oppies, Pls Stop Spreading Lies That HDB Is A Long-term Tenancy!

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Screen-Shot-2018-08-11-at-4.39.41-PM-1024x567.png

nuff said.
Are you fishing? LOL... I better stop eating fish lest people might claim that I have a 'fishing village psyche'. On reflection, it's good to have such 'values'.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you fishing? LOL... I better stop eating fish lest people might claim that I have a 'fishing village psyche'. On reflection, it's good to have such 'values'.
fishing is the last thing on my mind after reminiscing about potong pasir and how my shit contributed to fish food.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't know where you're really from and whether you truly know sg at all in the 50s and 60s. you must be an old time jiuhukia spreading fake news about sg. i remember there were fishing villages all the way from tuas to pasir panjang, from kallang river mouth to changi, from tuas to gedong, from punggol to pasir ris. the only coastal areas that are built up by the british are sembawang shipyard/naval base and woodlands causeway point in the north, keppel shipyard, harbor, sg river mouth in the south. there was an raf changi airbase but changi coast was not even developed by the british. only a sampan jetty stood there at the tip. british developed airbases inland at tengah, sembawang, seletar, paya lebar, changi. vast majority of sg coastal and river mouth areas were swamps, m&d, sand and fishing villages. from the map of 1960 it looked more like 69%.
SingaporeMap1.jpg
Yes, we were backward then but those villages with wood structures on the river are not fishing villages. I grew up in one along Kim Seng Road. Nobody were fishermen. Many work for commodity traders, shipyards, shipping etc. Fishing villages are more of coastal areas. Kallang river mouth are more godowns. Those who lives on the coastal areas fish to supplement their income. Dun try to use maps to fool people when you don't live through that era.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
These days more Singaporeans interested in catching crabs than fish....try saying catching crabs in cantonese.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, we were backward then but those villages with wood structures on the river are not fishing villages. I grew up in one along Kim Seng Road. Nobody were fishermen. Many work for commodity traders, shipyards, shipping etc. Fishing villages are more of coastal areas. Kallang river mouth are more godowns. Those who lives on the coastal areas fish to supplement their income. Dun try to use maps to fool people when you don't live through that era.
don't bull lah. i grew up next to the kallang river and folks were fishing for a living. contrary to jiuhukia's imagination, fishing in sg then was not confined to coastal areas. the many sungei's have ample marine life to provide fresh water fishing to many fishing families, both malays and chinks. in fact, when chinks settled in sg from china, they occupied river banks in sg alongside malay fishing villages and established the chukang settlements. today we have chua chu kang, lim chu kang, yio chu kang. at one time we had tan chu kang, chan chu kang, lau chu kang following clan names. many of the chinks upgraded from fishing to farming at the river banks as they were rich with silt, perfect for farming. at potong pasir where i grew up there were fishermen and farmers living and working side by side. all the chu kangs were pretty much chink kampongs with attap houses. and when galvanized zinc came along they were upgraded to zinc roofs. it's still fresh in my memory. c'mon, c'mon, i love this kind of debate as i'm well armed with info and memories.
the-kangchu-systems-in-singapore-1851.jpg

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kallang river was blackish water. Villages there are mostly laborers working for the shipping companies as coolies. It is all godowns in that area. Those are not fishing villages. Malays are more at the coastal areas. Dun stray off the argument. You claim that Singapore was a fishing village. Like I said not the whole of Singapore is a fishing village. We were already a thriving trading port.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kallang river was blackish water. Villages there are mostly laborers working for the shipping companies as coolies. It is all godowns in that area. Those are not fishing villages. Malays are more at the coastal areas.
bullshit lah. the shit i pooed into kallang were part of fish food. it was so rich with seafood that fishermen woke me up every morning pulling in the nets. they used river trawling nets. all kinds of fish and crawlies were hauled up. upriver in potong pasir was not as "blackish" as downriver at kallang river mouth. in fact there were more prawns than fish. malay fishermen who were there first went on to prawn harvesting as catching prawns were far easier than fish. and soon, coastal malays caught wind of the fresh water prawn haul and went for sea water prawns off the coast. they used a net that was about 6.9 feet wide by 6.9 feet long held together by 4 poles. it pivoted around their waists and they just scooped up prawns from the water. the singapore - lion city 1957 video provides footage at the 4:10 mark on how they harvested prawns. in that video they were not fishing, they were catching prawns.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
bullshit lah. the shit i pooed into kallang were part of fish food. it was so rich with seafood that fishermen woke me up every morning pulling in the nets. they used river trawling nets. all kinds of fish and crawlies were hauled up. upriver in potong pasir was not as "blackish" as downriver at kallang river mouth. in fact there were more prawns than fish. malay fishermen who were there first went on to prawn harvesting as catching prawns were far easier than fish. and soon, coastal malays caught wind of the fresh water prawn haul and went for sea water prawns off the coast. they used a net that was about 6.9 feet wide by 6.9 feet long held together by 4 poles. it pivoted around their waists and they just scooped up prawns from the water. the singapore - lion city 1957 video provides footage at the 4:10 mark on how they harvested prawns. in that video they were not fishing, they were catching prawns.
Ok so does this means Singapore was a fishing village just because you live in one. Looks like I am arguing with one who knows through googled videos.
The End! Bye Bye

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very fair comment and truthful. As mentioned in previous post in another thread, many families had fish/water-hyacinth ponds to supplement their livelihoods. At Sembawang and Nee Soon, many worked in the rubber and sago factories/plantations but the families also grew their own vegetables and fruit, and reared farm animals, and of course FISH from the ponds. Singapore was more of a swampland then. However, families were able to eke out a living, and definitely not from FISHING. None were fishermen. The erected statue at Yishun today is that of a FARMER. The KOH Bros, OKP, Heeton, etc... came not from FISHING...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Of course Singapore had other activities besides fishing but it is pretty obvious that since Singapore has such a long coastline it goes without saying that fishing dominated the landscape. I lived through that era too and no matter where I went I saw commercial fishing. Bedok, Changi, Tampines, Ponggol, Tuas, Tanjong Rhu, Katong, Siglap etc... everywhere I turned I saw fishing. If I wanted to witness other activities I had to go downtown where all the Ang Moh were.

The Ang Mohs did not indulge in fishing. They played Cricket at the padang or pretended to work in their comfy offices.

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kallang river was blackish water. Villages there are mostly laborers working for the shipping companies as coolies. It is all godowns in that area. Those are not fishing villages. Malays are more at the coastal areas. Dun stray off the argument. You claim that Singapore was a fishing village. Like I said not the whole of Singapore is a fishing village. We were already a thriving trading port.

Yes, and that was way before LKY or the PAP!!! PAP only came into being in end 1954.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The good minister Indranee weighs in. Sinkies are owners because they get to keep the PROFITS when they sell their HDB flats.

indranee-rajah.jpg

But HDB flat, like any asset, has 'life cycle' over its lease tenure, minister tells PA dialogue.

Singaporeans have been able to keep the profit from the sale of their Housing Board flats, and that proves that they are owners, not mere tenants, said Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Indranee Rajah yesterday.

"Everybody who has actually made a profit on the sale of an HDB flat, you cannot say that it's not an asset. Of course it is," she stressed in response to a question from a member of the Indian community at a People's Association dialogue at The Grassroots' Club in Ang Mo Kio on the National Day Rally.

The issue of HDB's 99-year lease was a hot topic at yesterday's session, along with the cost of living and public healthcare - which formed key parts of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's speech on Aug 19.

Together with Ms Indranee, Senior Minister of State for Transport, and Communications and Information Janil Puthucheary and Sembawang GRC MP Vikram Nair addressed questions from around 350 participants from various Indian organisations, and voluntary and grassroots organisations.

One asked whether the 99-year HDB lease means the buyer is really a long-term tenant.

Ms Indranee, who is also Second Minister for Finance and Education, replied: "If you're not the owner, then you don't get to keep the profit either. Owners get to sell because you transfer the right to the property. If you're a tenant, you don't get the right to sell, you just get the right to live in it but you don't have the right to deal with the property."

But she also cautioned that like any asset, HDB flats have "a life cycle". She said that during the early part of the lease, the value of a flat would appreciate. "But towards the end, as the lease gets shorter and shorter, the market value will necessarily go down."

This is why the Government has introduced the Voluntary Early Redevelopment Scheme, she said. The scheme, announced by PM Lee in his rally speech, allows residents living in selected precincts and whose flats are older than 70 years old to vote on whether to sell their flats back to the Government before the leases expire.

Another housing issue raised was how the Government's Ethnic Integration Policy, put in place to ensure a balanced mix of ethnic communities in HDB towns, makes it harder for Indians to sell their flats.

They tend to be allowed to sell only to other Indians, and the smaller market means they may have to accept lower prices despite buying the flat at the same price as the other ethnic groups.

Dr Janil replied that if not for the ethnic quotas, neighbourhoods will be segregated by race across Singapore, and this would make the community "far worse off".

http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/unlike-owners-tenants-cannot-sell-hdb-flat-indranee-rajah

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
They tend to be allowed to sell only to other Indians, and the smaller market means they may have to accept lower prices despite buying the flat at the same price as the other ethnic groups.

Indians don't have to worry because if they don't get the price they want as Indians they can always try becoming Malays and they could well fetch a higher price with their newly acquired race.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP stupidity on display.

You leased furniture...you can sell it, keep profit and pay it off.

In HDB case, you pay off loan, you still own it.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But she also cautioned that like any asset, HDB flats have "a life cycle". She said that during the early part of the lease, the value of a flat would appreciate. "But towards the end, as the lease gets shorter and shorter, the market value will necessarily go down."

Not true if the HDB flats have auto renewal of lease.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Not true if the HDB flats have auto renewal of lease.

If every single leasehold HDB flat had an auto renewal of a lease how would the next generation of Singaporeans be housed?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How dare you accuse the good minister Lawrence of lying!!!!

If Lawrence Wong says your HDB flat is yours, it is yours. Only oppies want to continue the myth that sinkies are tenants in their HDB flats.

Please call the good minister "father" too