• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I m 53 & dying of old age.I come in here just 2 say my peace

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
People die at any age and you cannot choose the way you die but you can surely choose the way you live.

Sure, everyone has regrets in life and it sure is great if one has a job and self-esteem. However, the only person who can make you happy is yourself and the only person who would be most happy for you is also yourself.

If you would choose to die, die with glory. If you can't achieve that, then at least die with dignity.

To die with dignity, you have to respect life first to know you have fought a good fight and run a good race, then letting go of life will be easy.

When your life is lived with a good conscience, you reward yourself the dignity of a good death.

If you didn't manage to live with dignity and a good conscience, at least allow yourself to die with dignity and a good conscience.

Return to first sentence.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deep Purple,

Well your post of one day old has certainly stirred the hearts of compassion up to 3 pages full. Everyone except one has some kind words for you.

Goes to show that you do not really need to keep to your self-imposed loneliness. Most of the people you meet will sympathetize with you provided you do not keep on saying that you are old, dying, income so low. That smacks of self-pity, which while good in private, never has a track record of keeping friends.

I was about to share with you the story of Col Sanders but lolabunny is faster :smile: Given that the life span is now up to 85 years old, 53 is practically middle-aged. So keep your head up, spirits high.

Every one of us has our own personal battles. Some are more difficult than others. Your life carries its own blessings. Count them. Remember them. Don't hide your heart from another if God or fate or whatever you believe in, brings her your way. On the other hand, if a chinese PRC of 18 years old, target you - do be careful.

Now, breathe deeply, get a job, start replenishing your savings.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Deep Purple,
sorry to hear about your predicament. If you are suffering from depression, you should seek professional help (look up the web for the symptoms). If not, consider the following questions:

Are you blind?
Are you handicapped?
Do you have an incurable disease?

If you answered no to those questions, you should take comfort that there are people with those conditions who went on to lead meaningful lives and there is no reason why you can't as well.

The most important thing is to set goals for yourself. It doesn't have to be something extremely ambitious, start with something easily achievable to give you confidence (e.g. I will go for an affordable holiday once a year, striking the lottery should definitely not be a goal). Once you have a goal, map out the steps you need to take to achieve it (e.g. I will find a job that pays at least $1500pm with annual leave of at least 15 days, then I will save at least $200pm for the holiday). A goal is just a dream if you do not have a plan on how to reach it.

The next thing you should try to do is to fill up your time with activities you enjoy or is meaningful to you. Take the time to think about your interests and find out what you need in order to follow your interests. If you can't think of anything, try being a volunteer for some cause you can identify with. These activities allow you to network and/or help others.

There is nothing worse than self-pity. Take charge of your life. You only have this one life and it is up to you (and only you) to make what you want of it.

Singapore is not a good place for self-reflection so I encourage you to take the time to visit other countries (if you have the means) and you will soon realise that there is more to life than what you thought when you were living in Singapore all your life. Take the time to get to know yourself better (if you can achieve this, you are already one-up on many people who do not understand themselves).

Good luck!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure, everyone has regrets in life and it sure is great if one has a job and self-esteem. However, the only person who can make you happy is yourself and the only person who would be most happy for you is also yourself.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 53 years old and dying of old age.I come in here just 2 say my peace.Forgive me if I sound like ranting.......

I am a loner. I have spent half my life slogging in the rat race. Now I am feeling tired....sometimes very tired. I am in and out of quite a number of jobs in the last ten years. Prior to that I had worked in the stable education service for more than 10 years.

I have been sending out hundreds of my resume. I receive an offer which I find is exploitation. The lady boss wanted me to work from 10.30 am to 8 pm....six days a week. There is no proper lunch break. Someone will be assigned to buy a pkt of rice for me.....Though it pay is close to 2k, I rejected the job offer.

I don't have the energy that I used to have when I was younger. I have been jobless since about 17/01/08. I have been surviving on my savings all these months.

I have been living alone since 1992....16 years of living alone. I don't regret it. It's my choice. I prefer to be alone and talk less even in the occasional social circle.

I have a brother and a sister. But I am not close to them. I just need a listening ear.....so I come here to say my peace.

Thank you for listening to the woes of an old man....

:(

I know it sounds a little bit insensitive, but i think you should take the job. Hang on in there, and find a good job with your free time if you still have the energy. The only problem I can forsee will be your lady boss, lets face it, lady bosses are crazy, so you will either put up with her, or sleep with her (no kidding). Either way, office politics are here to stay if a lady boss is involved. But if you are clever enough, this might turn to your advantage.

Deep Purple

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 53 years old and dying of old age.I come in here just 2 say my peace.Forgive me if I sound like ranting.......

I am a loner. I have spent half my life slogging in the rat race. Now I am feeling tired....sometimes very tired. I am in and out of quite a number of jobs in the last ten years. Prior to that I had worked in the stable education service for more than 10 years.

I have been sending out hundreds of my resume. I receive an offer which I find is exploitation. The lady boss wanted me to work from 10.30 am to 8 pm....six days a week. There is no proper lunch break. Someone will be assigned to buy a pkt of rice for me.....Though it pay is close to 2k, I rejected the job offer.

I don't have the energy that I used to have when I was younger. I have been jobless since about 17/01/08. I have been surviving on my savings all these months.

I have been living alone since 1992....16 years of living alone. I don't regret it. It's my choice. I prefer to be alone and talk less even in the occasional social circle.

I have a brother and a sister. But I am not close to them. I just need a listening ear.....so I come here to say my peace.

Thank you for listening to the woes of an old man....

:(

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It juz that I want to let off some steam from our pressurised cooker society. There were many eloquent advices from many of you which is much appreciated and especially helpful to pple who are down.

I juz replaced my washroom old cistern today; costing me $115/- I also received an invitation for an interview next week. Thanks for all comments.