• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I am 28 years old. Am I young, middle age, or old? What is your SG dream?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Once you've hit a certain age, you should have gained enough experience and accumulated enough funds to become an employer instead of remaining an employee.

I have to agree with Sam on this and lots of preparation is required. I often tell people to leave Singapore if they can and the quick response from them is "Joe you are lucky you have work there you have income in the place you live" but I retort that its got nothing to do with being lucky. I planned for years to leave Singapore I've worked very hard to accumulate to finally go. It wasn't easy and even risky but this is the point, one got to take risk. Seriously if not Thailand I would have been somewhere else. I am now preparing myself to be a Thai citizen (please don't look down on me to move from Swiss standard to 3rd world standard, I have my reasons and further plans).

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
joe, i am thinking of looking you up and have a heart to heart talk, i also planning to get out...:o

I have to agree with Sam on this and lots of preparation is required. I often tell people to leave Singapore if they can and the quick response from them is "Joe you are lucky you have work there you have income in the place you live" but I retort that its got nothing to do with being lucky. I planned for years to leave Singapore I've worked very hard to accumulate to finally go. It wasn't easy and even risky but this is the point, one got to take risk. Seriously if not Thailand I would have been somewhere else. I am now preparing myself to be a Thai citizen (please don't look down on me to move from Swiss standard to 3rd world standard, I have my reasons and further plans).

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Same here. By the age of 25, I'd had enough of a meaningless existence working my ass off to help someone else get rich. I decided that 25 to 30 was the "financial foundations" phase. 30 to 40 was the "work to make myself rich" phase. 40 onwards was the "take profit and get the hell out of sinkieland" phase.

28 is the ideal age to start planning for retirement. For those who aim high, the sky is the limit. My biggest regret is not aiming high enough. I set myself a financial target that was far too low. I felt it was a huge sum at the time but looking back, I could have done 10 times better. I took my foot off the gas too soon. As a result, I now have to spend my time running this stupid forum. :p

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
dont say that la boss. If you didnt run the forum then you wouldnt have had the privilege, pleasure and honour of meeting all of us...cyberguys though we are.:p

. I took my foot off the gas too soon. As a result, I now have to spend my time running this stupid forum. :p

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
dont say that la boss. If you didnt run the forum then you wouldnt have had the privilege, pleasure and honour of meeting all of us...cyberguys though we are.:p

Hypothetically, how much is enough, to take the foot off the gas?
Assuming these days live to 82yrs on average!

at 30....how much?
at 40....how much?
at 50....how much?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
bro...this sort of thing is very subjective and got no formulae or figures. You go by your own feel which will hinge on many many factors.

Then there are your own expectations and other components which make up your happiness quotient.

Nobody can advise anybody on this in a very defined and definite manner. Can only discuss in a general way.

Hypothetically, how much is enough, to take the foot off the gas?
Assuming these days live to 82yrs on average!

at 30....how much?
at 40....how much?
at 50....how much?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
at 30....how much?
at 40....how much?
at 50....how much?

bro,
me used to calculate the sums required, planning to retire by the age of 50 then moving on to do volunteer work.
then me realized that it really depends on what you really need. like what boss said, do some serious planning, move on and take flight! :p:p:p

good luck!

28yoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should have a world dream not a Singapore dream. Why restrict yourself to 690sq km out of the 149 Million sq km that's available to you.

Once you've hit a certain age, you should have gained enough experience and accumulated enough funds to become an employer instead of remaining an employee.

There is no retrenchment for those who own the company. There could be bankruptcy but that's entirely in your own hands. There's nobody else to blame if you fail.

No he doesn't mean that. You can tell that he's thinking within the confines of the little red dot. The fact that his dream contains the word "condo" pretty much confirms it.

I never dreamt of living in a condo. It's an awful lifestyle and the maintenance fees can be crippling. I always aspired to own 5 acres and my dreams came true in the the mid 90s when I bought 6.5 acres for AUD230,000.

Words of wisdom from the Leong man. A Condo is the best housing most Singaporeans can achieve Leong, surely you know that, and that is why you left. I don't live in a Condo but most of my relatives do, weekly, bi-weekly house visits to Condos in Orchard tells me that their quality and neighbourhoods are pretty good. Problem is it costs 2 million for a shoebox. :p

I am no millionaire, though I probably can afford a million dollar shoebox via mortgage.

young man, we are at a time when there are many changes going around in the world, just look at news headlines daily, you will understand.

so dun say so early, someday, you may need advice from me to be an elite taxi driver...:o

Old man, please take your meds, I won't be needing any advice from you in this lifetime. In fact, it is best you don't come near me. If you need some advice or wisdom, you can PM me. Though for old people like you, you are frankly useless and you will never be able to understand anything, it all boils down to lack of education, cultural reasons (your culture doesn't have any science and reasoning in it) and being dumb. You are already past your use-by date, so please stop whining, talking down to young people, demanding more and more from young people, or young people like me may just throw you into a 80 dollars a month one-room HDB rental flat and not wipe your ass when you are bed-ridden in hospital.

Have you seen the recent cases where the nurses threw the old men around in the old folks home and slapped them? Frankly can you blame the nurses? Dealing with such rude, bitter and retarded people on a daily basis surely will get to them one day. Old people should be put in their proper place in society.

Some advice for you HotBot: Try not to be so bitter and angry even though you are old, you still have to live out the rest of your life, try to be happy, go to Geylang more often, go to the RC and meet old losers and sing Karaoke with them. Don't think about health problems, or your rotting head, or your rotting skin. It is never too late to learn a skill and take on a better job. The young don't owe you anything, so stop whining to them, take charge of your old life and do something for once.

There are two kinds of old people in this world. 1.Bitter angry useless old men like you who will never understand the world and 2.Wise intelligent old people like Leongsam who understand the world and are cool about things. Sadly, most old people, 90%, are like Hotbot.

Which is why the world is so f-up.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, it is indeed a moving target.

20 years ago, with close friends, we'd thought S$6k per month would be the target!
Some years ago, we were talking about needing S$2m to retire... and more recently, I think Old Man mentioned somewhere that S$5m is enough in Singapore...
Definitely a lot more wealthy people in Singapore these last few years, so the moving target keeps going higher and higher and higher...

Just curious what was Boss Sam's original target to take off his foot... and what would be his target now, on hindsight?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
bro i think 2M to 5M is their own bar that they set. I dunno why so high. I think for us lesser mortals the figure should be far lower.

Yes, it is indeed a moving target.

20 years ago, with close friends, we'd thought S$6k per month would be the target!
Some years ago, we were talking about needing S$2m to retire... and more recently, I think Old Man mentioned somewhere that S$5m is enough in Singapore...
Definitely a lot more wealthy people in Singapore these last few years, so the moving target keeps going higher and higher and higher...

Just curious what was Boss Sam's original target to take off his foot... and what would be his target now, on hindsight?

28yoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro i think 2M to 5M is their own bar that they set. I dunno why so high. I think for us lesser mortals the figure should be far lower.

Lesser mortals like myself am happy with just 500k cash or owning my own Condo (fully paid) first. Be realistic. For anything more after that, if it comes it comes.

Don't be like those crazy old men and women who queue up at the Tote shop every week, all their life, hoping to strike the lottery. Naive, uneducated and dumb. Instead of spending their time reading and learning skills, or running a good business, they spend their time buying lottery and whining.

I have a few millionaire friends and relatives, most who are self-made read widely, even at 60 yo. One is tough as nails as well, he could probably knock me out if I mess with him, and I am 80 kg and fit.

Old men, remember to apply for CPF LIFE if you don't want to be sleeping on the streets in your own pool of urine! :smile:

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
simple...its a simple life for me. So dont need so much.

ya, man ... it depends on wat kind of life u want 2 lead ...

Ya its good you have a concrete and doable plan. Go for it man.

Lesser mortals like myself am happy with just 500k cash or owning my own Condo (fully paid) first. Be realistic. For anything more after that, if it comes it comes.

Don't be like those crazy old men and women who queue up at the Tote shop every week, all their life, hoping to strike the lottery. Naive, uneducated and dumb. Instead of spending their time reading and learning skills, or running a good business, they spend their time buying lottery and whining.

I have a few millionaire friends and relatives, most who are self-made read widely, even at 60 yo. One is tough as nails as well, he could probably knock me out if I mess with him, and I am 80 kg and fit.

Old men, remember to apply for CPF LIFE if you don't want to be sleeping on the streets in your own pool of urine! :smile: