• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hai Kee Teochew Char Kuay Teow is Delicious!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to get my motor serviced and later found myself along Commonwealth Ave Cooked Centre, initally stopped for a cup of tea. The tea was refreshing but what caught my eye was the sudden long queue outside the Char Kuay Teow Stall nearby that had just opened, and it was just past 4pm! Decided to give it a try and was not disappointed. Probably the best char kuey teow that I have had in ages. Will return in the near future!:smile:

Kee Hai Teochew Char Kuay Teow

Address:
40A Commonwealth Avenue
#01-550 Commonwealth Ave Cooked Food Centre

amour

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes its indeed delicious. Its better to go early as once he's opens his shop, the queue will start coming.

Hai kee is open from 5pm to 10pm. If I'm not wrong he closes on Sunday.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, the char kuay teow only slightly above average, Q there once and waited 30 minutes for a average char kuay teow. There wouldnt be any q if he has a helper. OMO. The one at hong lim hawker centre and the other one at zion road rates better.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, please continue spending and enjoy delicious food! You are doing the economy and your stomach a favor!

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
slurpy
DSC01430.JPG

char+kway+teow.jpg

humful
DSC01432.JPG

SAMURAISAN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, the char kuay teow only slightly above average, Q there once and waited 30 minutes for a average char kuay teow. There wouldnt be any q if he has a helper. OMO. The one at hong lim hawker centre and the other one at zion road rates better.

You are obviously no connoisseur of charkuayteow !

The Hong Lim and Zion Rd 18 no fight.

Hai Kee by far the best..and the guy never puts in crap like chinese sausages, fishcakes etc. Just hum and tow gay.

The hum is the freshest I have ever eaten anywhere..never had a bad one yet. And if you are a crispy lard (bak pok) fan, Hai kee will generously give you a big helping.

The long queues you have to suffer from opening to closing time is the only drawback....but 2 stalls away is a delightful coffeee stall which makes terific latte, cappucino and other concoctions at a fraction of the price you pay at Starbucks or Coffee Bean.

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
i frequent this store a lot.

I find the CKT is only above average. But what i really like is the attitude of the owner.

You can see that life of a CKT hawker is not easy.. yet he is alwyas cheery when you talk to him.

I asked him once, everything go up, why his CKT is still $2 (now $2.50). He said that sometime got no choice, he rather make lesser so that his poorer customers can continue to eat his CKT.

If all the business owner in Singapore has the same attitude, life will be less cruel to us and will not kick so many people in the balls, like a certain blogger says sometime back.

samurai1110

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is something new. Advertising hawkers' fare here. Who needs MakanSutra now? New 'lobang' for SammyBoy to diversify from 'slutty' stuffs.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best Char Kway Teow I have eaten so far in singapore is located in Bedok called Hill Street Char Kway Teow.

Peak hours have to wait for an hour. Non peak period be prepared to wait 20-30 minutes.

Char Kway Teow is an artery clogging food. So if want to eat Char Kway Teow, don't eat normal ones. Must go for the best. :biggrin:

http://ieatishootipost.sg/search/label/Char Kway Teow

The one at Bedok Blk 16 Hill Street Char Kway Teow got a rating of 4.75/5

The one at Commonwealth got a rating of 4.5/5

Author of site said he has never given 4.75 so I think this CKT in Bedok is really heavenly in many people's taste.
His Char Kway Teow stall have people queuing even though still with helpers.

Personally I haven't tried the one at Commonwealth, but I already think the one is Bedok is really too good. :p

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not a Char Kway Teow aficionado. However, I do eat the dish once in a while. The two best I've tasted was one at the old Hill Street Hawker Centre (now demolished) and one at Sembawang Road opposite old SMBT (now also demolished).

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak, I never thought I would live to see the day I fully 100% agreed with you:eek::biggrin::p

You are right on all counts :

Hong Lim and Zion Rd no fight;

Hai Kee by far the best, with damn good fresh ingredients and damn long queues as well, and the owner is a pleasant chap;

The Kopi Stall lady in white scoks and sandals 2 stalls away from Hai Kee makes damn good refreshments;

Oh and both stalls appear to attract a pleasant eye candy crowd of chio bu SYTs and chio la laukwuaybus:biggrin::p

You are obviously no connoisseur of charkuayteow !

The Hong Lim and Zion Rd 18 no fight.

Hai Kee by far the best..and the guy never puts in crap like chinese sausages, fishcakes etc. Just hum and tow gay.

The hum is the freshest I have ever eaten anywhere..never had a bad one yet. And if you are a crispy lard (bak pok) fan, Hai kee will generously give you a big helping.

The long queues you have to suffer from opening to closing time is the only drawback....but 2 stalls away is a delightful coffeee stall which makes terific latte, cappucino and other concoctions at a fraction of the price you pay at Starbucks or Coffee Bean.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 2 previous favs which have long since closed was the CKT shop off Newton Circus (that chap had a gold rolex and drove a mercs) and the one opposite the old Cold Storage along Orchard Road which opened at night, the open air hawker stalls.

I'm not a Char Kway Teow aficionado. However, I do eat the dish once in a while. The two best I've tasted was one at the old Hill Street Hawker Centre (now demolished) and one at Sembawang Road opposite old SMBT (now also demolished).