• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hai Kee Teochew Char Kuay Teow is Delicious!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes. the bedok one (formerly from hill st) is the best!

that one in margaret dr HC is so so only. i think people queue becos the serving is very generous. price has gone up fr $2 to $2.50 now. it's really quite plain and no fight for even the one in mei ling st HC which has fishcake, cai xin, lup cheong. it's now re-located to the opp coffeeshop.

maybe u guys should try that and find out which is better.

for HAI KEE, it's over-rated. i couldn't even finish a $2.50 plate which looks like enough to feed a family of 4:p

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought I might bump into you when I was eating at Hai Kee since I gather you live around that area or presume you do anyways:biggrin::p

Still a good cheap place to chow down and then head off to the nearby NLB to catch up on some reading:smile:

that one in margaret dr HC is so so only. i think people queue becos the serving is very generous. price has gone up fr $2 to $2.50 now. it's really quite plain and no fight for even the one in mei ling st HC which has fishcake, cai xin, lup cheong. it's now re-located to the opp coffeeshop.

maybe u guys should try that and find out which is better.

for HAI KEE, it's over-rated. i couldn't even finish a $2.50 plate which looks like enough to feed a family of 4

The MilkMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best Char Kway Teow I have eaten so far in singapore is located in Bedok called Hill Street Char Kway Teow.

Peak hours have to wait for an hour. Non peak period be prepared to wait 20-30 minutes.

Char Kway Teow is an artery clogging food. So if want to eat Char Kway Teow, don't eat normal ones. Must go for the best. :biggrin:

http://ieatishootipost.sg/search/label/Char Kway Teow

The one at Bedok Blk 16 Hill Street Char Kway Teow got a rating of 4.75/5

The one at Commonwealth got a rating of 4.5/5

oh yes,it is good.
if it is during lunch time,the queue time can be about 30 mins to 1 hrs.
definitely worth a try for those char kuay teow lovers.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
walk to the other end facing the closed polyclinic. u find a chicken/charsiew rice. u will be pleasantly surprised! it's still at $2 a plate with equally cheap side orders like choy suey, pork chop etc with cabbage soup FOC. this one was formerly fr meiling hc. very generous helping. don't try upstair that chicken rice. it's a FAKE!! @$3 with no soup.

for entertainment, remember to wink at the lady serving u. she would tell u the whole story about the famous PRAWN MEE fr mei ling hc. the haymee uncle had passed away - cock standing. LOL! what a surprise it shocked the daylight out of me!! my li'l brother told me the story b4..and it is TRUE!!:smile:

Mentri_Besar_emas

Alfrescian
Loyal
not familar wif that place even wif fotos . But is it along that branch rd from the Church called Damien hall inwards from Queenway rd side. ??

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oh I see, my old time favorite from Hill Street is now in Bedok. :rolleyes:

for HAI KEE, it's over-rated. i couldn't even finish a $2.50 plate which looks like enough to feed a family of 4:p

You're famous for eating 4 pax portions alone in one sitting, and you can't finish it, that bad? :confused:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not a Char Kway Teow aficionado. However, I do eat the dish once in a while. The two best I've tasted was one at the old Hill Street Hawker Centre (now demolished) and one at Sembawang Road opposite old SMBT (now also demolished).

I am not a Char Kway Teow lover too, but when I go to this hawker centre in Bedok, only this Char Kway Teow I think is worth queuing.

Hill Street Fried Kway Teow
Blk 16, Bedok South Road, #01-187
Opened for lunch till about 4pm. Then around 6pm till all he runs out of food.
Closed on Mondays

The uncle is still frying and still look strong and healthy. He is slowly passing the spatula to his daughter (i think). The daughter frys it during the late noon hours when it is not so peak.

I have not eaten the commonwealth one. But I must say I have not tasted any Char Kway Teow that taste even close to what Hill Street offered. After eating this stall, one will swear off eating normal Char Kway Teow:p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
would appreciate it if they peel off unsightly roots (or tails) on sprouts. can get easily turned off when they dangle with grease and gravy from the plate. thanks, but no thanks.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro,

bedok? where?

20061205_001a.jpg

Char+Kway+Teow.jpg

man.jpg

hill-street.jpg
hill-street2.jpg

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those of you who love to eat CKT regularly and if you don't exercise intensively,
do ensure that you are fully covered with health-insurance.

In Singapore it is cheaper to die than to suffer terminal illness.

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
for entertainment, remember to wink at the lady serving u. she would tell u the whole story about the famous PRAWN MEE fr mei ling hc. the haymee uncle had passed away - cock standing. LOL! what a surprise it shocked the daylight out of me!! my li'l brother told me the story b4..and it is TRUE!!

old fart fake monk chao ah kwa

Engaged in illicit gay activities is a crime!

Stealing temple donations is a crime!

Bashing your father is a crime!

Conning property is a crime!

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to get my motor serviced and later found myself along Commonwealth Ave Cooked Centre, initally stopped for a cup of tea. The tea was refreshing but what caught my eye was the sudden long queue outside the Char Kuay Teow Stall nearby that had just opened, and it was just past 4pm! Decided to give it a try and was not disappointed. Probably the best char kuey teow that I have had in ages. Will return in the near future!:smile:

Kee Hai Teochew Char Kuay Teow

Address:
40A Commonwealth Avenue
#01-550 Commonwealth Ave Cooked Food Centre

RTF?

will go try also....

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
danke bro,

i'll head down to Bedok Interchange for the char kwey teow, and to hand SGD$140.00 to a special beggar kid, if i can find him :biggrin:

ps: the $140.00 is from Sam :p

It's at Bedok South Road Blk 16, Not the Bedok Interchange:p

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, must not mix up.

Btw Bedok Interchange Food Centre has a good tasty Mee Soto Stall called Inspirasi #01-11. Value for money at $1.50 and sedap:smile: Only problem is the long queue, what's new:biggrin:

It's at Bedok South Road Blk 16, Not the Bedok Interchange:p

newszeeker

I believe all those CKT stalls mentioned are merited ones. Each has its own style of cooking and ingredients. The Margaret Drive fella pre-fried a few plates then gave individual plate a thorough final fry irrespective of whether there is a long queue. His CKT dished out is a bit wet and best eaten with raw cockles, if one can take it. Just buried them in the hot kuay teow for awhile and they should be cooked, but not overly-cooked.

This HCentre is about to be demolished for the Dawson Redevelopment Scheme and hence most of the nearby blocks were torn down and those still standing do not have much residents living. Hence, the presence of huge crowds there is a tribute to the quality of the food. You can't compare it with a huge estate like Bedok with thousands of residents.

Beside the good coffee stall, there is a good western stall a few stalls from Hai Kee and in the centre, the zhi char stall run by a couple, wife a bit plumb and be-spectacled son offers very affordable food, especially the hainanese-style pork chop at $5/- only. Two large pieces wih potatos, tomatoes and good gravy thrown in. There are also two mee pok stalls one with very large fish balls and both very well patronised.

Upstairs 2nd storey, the famous Sin Kee chicken rice previously from Sago Lane and one hardly can find a seat, what with chickens so smoothly done. Then there is this potted rice stall where a medium pot of $8/- with big servings of ingredients can feed 3 persons. The standard is comparable to those stalls at Kreta Ayer FC. Double-boiled soups are also available at reasonable prices.

With so many good food, it is not surprising that this HC is so well-patronised though with little residential support.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
danke bro,

i'll head down to Bedok Interchange for the char kwey teow, and to hand SGD$140.00 to a special beggar kid, if i can find him :biggrin:

ps: the $140.00 is from Sam :p

Bro Zhihau, when you visit High St CKT stall at Bedok South, you must also try the cuttlefish & kangkong located 3 stalls away.

The cuttlefish & kangkong sold there is closest to Penang Gurney Drive cuttle fish & kangkong.

The stall opens at 5 pm and be prepared to queue up for 30-45 mins.