• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expensive Wedding Dinner, You Impressed?

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was at a wedding dinner just a couple of days ago.

Posh hotel, gleaming luxurious cars parked like a showroom out front, uniformed concierges I could mistaken for Kublai Khan. Outside the dinning hall proper, fine wine, cocktails were served by tuxed waiting staff. Some of the guests were tux'd as well, there must be a couple of ambassadors. Unusual numbers of Western guests. Very hi-so, I would say.

Let's take a look at the very well appointed menu, beautifully printed on fined monogram paper. Hmm... let's see, pan fried scallops in a mango sauce for starters. Then a soup painstakingly concocted by the master chef, cream of something exotic or other. The main course was a choice of breasts of chicken, free-range and corn-fed I would assume, or a grilled fillet of fish caught in icy cold waters 5 thousand miles away. The last item on the menu was a piece of dessert the hotel was famed for, then gourmet coffee and hand-picked tea named for English aristocrats.

The waiting staff were attentive, well-trained and, well, unobtrusive. Meals were served on the proper sides of guests, glasses were refilled without being asked. The cutlery were polished, and glasswares unblemished.

The MC was a university mate of the groom and his speech was, well, I wished I could speak like him, articulate and humorous. The bride's father gave a short speech and had everyone laughing. Everything was timed to a fault. Although the dinner stretched quite late, there wasn't awkward intervals where guests wonder when the next dish would arrived.

The entire affair impressed, from the crystal chandeliers to the sound system, from the food, and the fine wine to the bride's designer gown. Damn, it must have cost more than a grand for a table. Lots of face.

It would have been a lot more impressive, in my opinion, and a lot more face if I do not have to pay for it. You can say it's sour grapes on my part, but really, how is it when the guests are the ones paying for it, the 'face' goes to the hosts?

I've gone to a unique wedding where the newly wedded wore jeans and sweats, at a non-airconditioned seafood restaurant. Hands were used to pull apart the chilli-crab claws. It was messy, the food was delicious, the guests boisterous from the free flow of beer. The bride was teased endlessly, the groom swayed unsteadily at the end of the night. But dammit, it was one wedding I really enjoyed and I think there was no less the spirit of celebration for the couple.

What do you guys say?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For me a peasant, to be invited to such a lavish wedding dinner is once in a blue moon. My old classmate invited me to this really grand wedding dinner at a 5 star hotel. He discreetly told me no need to give ang pows - all donated to charities. I think it's the best dinner I had. Wine wine, red wine,dessert wine of all kinds and varieties.You can drink until you faint!!!

Suckling pig,cold dish, special boiled herbal chicken, individual braised shark's fin - real solid fins not faked ones , individual one whole piece abalone dish, everything individual...scallops, big prawns,cod fish, even delicious steak!...a fusion dinner of sorts with grand desserts...The decorations alone cost the couple thousands and thousands...Everything was so opulent and so grand I can't even smell it. But I was the guest there! Wow! simply unforgettable. The couple were very humble but it was the millionaire father who paid for everything!!! Unforgettable wedding dinner!!!

My hard earned angpow? $120. My friend told me not to worry about the angpow.Come,eat and enjoy yourself! How many such good friends do we have in this world? Esp when you are down and out with no job and no income? Thank God I've one.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me a peasant, to be invited to such a lavish wedding dinner is once in a blue moon. My old classmate invited me to this really grand wedding dinner at a 5 star hotel. He discreetly told me no need to give ang pows - all donated to charities. I think it's the best dinner I had. Wine wine, red wine,dessert wine of all kinds and varieties.You can drink until you faint!!!

Suckling pig,cold dish, special boiled herbal chicken, individual braised shark's fin - real solid fins not faked ones , individual one whole piece abalone dish, everything individual...scallops, big prawns,cod fish, even delicious steak!...a fusion dinner of sorts with grand desserts...The decorations alone cost the couple thousands and thousands...Everything was so opulent and so grand I can't even smell it. But I was the guest there! Wow! simply unforgettable. The couple were very humble but it was the millionaire father who paid for everything!!! Unforgettable wedding dinner!!!

My hard earned angpow? $120. My friend told me not to worry about the angpow.Come,eat and enjoy yourself! How many such good friends do we have in this world? Esp when you are down and out with no job and no income? Thank God I've one.

Now this is face. All to charity.

Not when the guests are footing the bill.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since u enjoyed yourself at the wedding...guess it's $$$ well spent then :wink:

Again you miss the point. It's not about me or the ang pow I pay.

But if you want to put it that way, I would rather take my family out for a lavish dinner and spent $200 a head.

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you guys say?[/QUOTE]

I attended this type before. Some now divorce...

Another big solid one i that not qualify to be invited now has his wife in the newpaper asking to get marry and quit her job if the man wan her to.

My wan cheap chinese resturant.. Friends help out as ushers, camera man, video man, drivers and borrow friend father car etc..

I happily married for 13 years with 2 kids.kekekeee.......

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

But if you want to put it that way, I would rather take my family out for a lavish dinner and spent $200 a head.

since when have angpow inflation gone to $200. I would give $80 max if normal friends. Good friends I gave $250 before. The issue is my kum cheng with the bride or groom. The hotel can fuck spider.

anyway, u overpaid unless either the bride or the groom is your boss.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is serious.I was invited once to a friend's wedding dinner - another damned lavish one. He told me NOT to give angpows! And all my kakis - platoon mates in my table really did not give any angpows but only handshakes!!! He was very happpy.

Anyone got such an invitation?

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the issue is that guests are sponsoring the event whilst the "face" end up going to the hosts...this is not new lah!! Wedding dinners are mostly held due to tradition and how lavish it should be will depend on how much "face" the hosts wanna show....:wink:

Bottom line is don't go if you don't wanna go...Close frens n buddies don't talk abt $$$...kum cheng is paramount..pronto :biggrin:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
since when have angpow inflation gone to $200. I would give $80 max if normal friends. Good friends I gave $250 before. The issue is my kum cheng with the bride or groom. The hotel can fuck spider.

anyway, u overpaid unless either the bride or the groom is your boss.

I know, I know, but it probably costs almost that much per table/head. But again, this is not about me.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I only give face to those of my platoon mates.We all poor peasants. Now we all lagi poorer with all these financial debacle. Our savings and our insurance all koyak now!
What face! No money no face lah! True friends are friends who invite you to dinner when you are out and down.That's a true friend.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know, I know, but it probably costs almost that much per table/head. But again, this is not about me.

unfortunately it is about you cos you paid for it. I know you want us to criticise the bridal couple but no point mah since they got your money and is screwing each other silly on their honeymoon while you are grumbling here.

anyway, the wedding dinner thingy is going the way of the dodo. Many young couples are doing away with it. I think wedding dinners will be rare in 10 years' time.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
anyway, the wedding dinner thingy is going the way of the dodo. Many young couples are doing away with it. I think wedding dinners will be rare in 10 years' time.

i think honeymoon-weddings would be in the trend. no hassles, just the 2 lovebirds going on a tour, small reception for both families.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
unfortunately it is about you cos you paid for it. I know you want us to criticise the bridal couple but no point mah since they got your money and is screwing each other silly on their honeymoon while you are grumbling here.

OK, if you say so. Whatever floats your boat.

The wise ones will. By all means celebrate with close friends and relatives. Go for a good honeymoon. Most important of all, be debt free. I can't think of a better start in married life.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

That is very Unsinkified, well done for your friend. :-)

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not bitching about the amount I put in. But if you have to know, an even 200.

... let's see, pan fried scallops in a mango sauce for starters. Then a soup painstakingly concocted by the master chef, cream of something exotic or other. The main course was a choice of breasts of chicken, free-range and corn-fed I would assume, or a grilled fillet of fish caught in icy cold waters 5 thousand miles away. The last item on the menu was a piece of dessert the hotel was famed for, then gourmet coffee and hand-picked tea named for English aristocrats.

What do you guys say?

4 me, me nt keen 2 b invited 2 tis kind of wedding ... 200 $ can eat alot n last me many days ... 4 ze above menu, dunno whether it can even fil my stomach anot ... :o :p