• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expensive Wedding Dinner, You Impressed?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the atmosphere isn't artificial, I wouldn't mind. But if its just fake, and feels fake, then I don't see the point. I would only go, because I don't want the host to lose face.

But I would probably chat with him a few days after the dinner about it anyway, just to address my concerns.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wedding is not about "angpow " , good food and good location .its all about friends and family members gathering together to bless the couple .

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
some of the worst dinners are found in 5 star hotels! you know which hotel is famous for horrible wedding dinners!!!

jw5

Loyal
I was at a wedding dinner just a couple of days ago.

Posh hotel, gleaming luxurious cars parked like a showroom out front, uniformed concierges I could mistaken for Kublai Khan. Outside the dinning hall proper, fine wine, cocktails were served by tuxed waiting staff. Some of the guests were tux'd as well, there must be a couple of ambassadors. Unusual numbers of Western guests. Very hi-so, I would say.

Let's take a look at the very well appointed menu, beautifully printed on fined monogram paper. Hmm... let's see, pan fried scallops in a mango sauce for starters. Then a soup painstakingly concocted by the master chef, cream of something exotic or other. The main course was a choice of breasts of chicken, free-range and corn-fed I would assume, or a grilled fillet of fish caught in icy cold waters 5 thousand miles away. The last item on the menu was a piece of dessert the hotel was famed for, then gourmet coffee and hand-picked tea named for English aristocrats.

The waiting staff were attentive, well-trained and, well, unobtrusive. Meals were served on the proper sides of guests, glasses were refilled without being asked. The cutlery were polished, and glasswares unblemished.

The MC was a university mate of the groom and his speech was, well, I wished I could speak like him, articulate and humorous. The bride's father gave a short speech and had everyone laughing. Everything was timed to a fault. Although the dinner stretched quite late, there wasn't awkward intervals where guests wonder when the next dish would arrived.

The entire affair impressed, from the crystal chandeliers to the sound system, from the food, and the fine wine to the bride's designer gown. Damn, it must have cost more than a grand for a table. Lots of face.

It would have been a lot more impressive, in my opinion, and a lot more face if I do not have to pay for it. You can say it's sour grapes on my part, but really, how is it when the guests are the ones paying for it, the 'face' goes to the hosts?

I've gone to a unique wedding where the newly wedded wore jeans and sweats, at a non-airconditioned seafood restaurant. Hands were used to pull apart the chilli-crab claws. It was messy, the food was delicious, the guests boisterous from the free flow of beer. The bride was teased endlessly, the groom swayed unsteadily at the end of the night. But dammit, it was one wedding I really enjoyed and I think there was no less the spirit of celebration for the couple.

What do you guys say?
How long do you think the marriage will last? :smile:

jw5

Loyal
unfortunately it is about you cos you paid for it. I know you want us to criticise the bridal couple but no point mah since they got your money and is screwing each other silly on their honeymoon while you are grumbling here.

anyway, the wedding dinner thingy is going the way of the dodo. Many young couples are doing away with it. I think wedding dinners will be rare in 10 years' time.
Do you think that they waited for the honeymoon to start screwing each other silly? :smile:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i attended a wedding and a funeral all in the same week. expenses are all paid by the hosts. the wedding was in a winery, and we had free flow of wine until the cows came home. the backdrop was breathtaking, setting spectacular, grapes ripening, with hills of vineyards undulating from east to west.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
many to be newly weds forgets that a wedding is just a day but a marriage a life time...it is sad to see that so often young couples pay so much details to the wedding then to the marriage...all because of wanting to earn bragging rights or to be the talk of the town among friends...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I do get married one day, I would hold an expensive wedding dinner but only that max 6 tables with very close relatives and close friends only. Then next day shoot off holiday. Or maybe even less tables.

Marriage is a joy to be shared within close ones, and most often I find half of the crowd that turns up, the groom and bride don't know them. So rather than spend so much for the atmosphere, why not spend it lavishly just on that few close ones to share the joy.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am impress with the one collecting the money not spending the money !

In these times, so tough to make money !

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
chinese wedding dinners always give me a hangover and a severe headache. my friends told me too much beecheng! also very dry throat, very thirsty and very tight-chested like kena choked like that. anyone got any special remedy. some say drink more chinese tea.some told me to take coke. some said take coffee. anyone got any help for this peasant.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've gone to a unique wedding where the newly wedded wore jeans and sweats, at a non-airconditioned seafood restaurant. Hands were used to pull apart the chilli-crab claws. It was messy, the food was delicious, the guests boisterous from the free flow of beer. The bride was teased endlessly, the groom swayed unsteadily at the end of the night. But dammit, it was one wedding I really enjoyed and I think there was no less the spirit of celebration for the couple.
What do you guys say?

yeah this my kind of wedding i'll happily go to.....lol..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
many to be newly weds forgets that a wedding is just a day but a marriage a life time...it is sad to see that so often young couples pay so much details to the wedding then to the marriage...all because of wanting to earn bragging rights or to be the talk of the town among friends...

You got to understand. That is a sinkie traits.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to understand. That is a sinkie traits.

You got to get out more often, little boy. Have you ever been invited to attend lavish wedding dinners in HK and other countries?

How will your wedding dinner be with your Thai gf? Just roti prata and teh tarek?

NobleEagle

Alfrescian
Loyal
spend so much money to impress other people for fuck, might as well save this money go for damn nice holiday or do up ur house nice nice, at least make urself more song

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Impressed only if bride is beautiful. If not, you pay $200 for lousy food and watch an ugly fuck trying to act glamourus . !! Siow !!