• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expensive Wedding Dinner, You Impressed?

NobleEagle

Alfrescian
Loyal
wedding is not about "angpow " , good food and good location .its all about friends and family members gathering together to bless the couple .

agree i dun even mind holding like those beach wedding type at night, nice romantic n relaxing for all

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you guys say?

My wan cheap chinese resturant.. Friends help out as ushers, camera man, video man, drivers and borrow friend father car etc..

I happily married for 13 years with 2 kids.kekekeee.......[/QUOTE]

u must have been a good fren to them likewise..:biggrin:

cheers for having frens like that..:biggrin:

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sis inlaw had her wedding in conrad. i think she & the husband is not that well off. i think till now, they may be still paying for the dinner... i dont really like them as they always want to dine in good food, almost every weekend. no such big head but want to wear big hat....

Ferragamo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sis inlaw had her wedding in conrad. i think she & the husband is not that well off. i think till now, they may be still paying for the dinner... i dont really like them as they always want to dine in good food, almost every weekend. no such big head but want to wear big hat....

Just to offer a different perspective on your sis in law. why should you dislike her because she & hubby enjoy going for good food every weekend? As long as they are not borrowing money just to eat well, then they are entitled to reward themselves every weekend with a good meal, paid for by their own hard work

everyone has their own little joys in life , for some it may be food, some movies, others collecting Hello Kitty toys.

If the Ritz Carlton wants to check your income tax returns to make sure you are well off before letting you in, Singaporeans will cry blue murder on the internet and forum pages

But here we are, judging our own friends and family members, saying they are not very well off still want to dine on good food?

If a road sweeper saves up his salary to bring his wife to the Ritz Carlton and eat, would I call him a fool? Would I say he should not be eating there because he is a low income earner?

No, because if that brings him joy in life, if that makes his wife happy, then it is a good thing

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wan cheap chinese resturant.. Friends help out as ushers, camera man, video man, drivers and borrow friend father car etc..

I happily married for 13 years with 2 kids.kekekeee.......

Good for you sifu. To me what's important is not the grand lavish affair during the wedding, but the process of married life after that event.

If we had not spent $100k for the wedding, but given frequent celebrations of the married bliss, say, $10k per year average over the next 10 years be it holidays, dinners, diamond rings etc., it may keep the marriage better than the bloke who went broke after that BIG EVENT, and fail to have resources to sustain the relationship. The next 10 years may be bickering over debts.

Just 2 cents worth from a 10-year happily married bloke :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think let the married couple be happy lah.Why begrudge their spending on their wedding and dinner.Let them be happy lor.Not all of them will have unhappy marriages.Many of such posh weddings are very successful people with happy families.So bless them lah.Don't be lidat okay.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the issue is that guests are sponsoring the event whilst the "face" end up going to the hosts...this is not new lah!! Wedding dinners are mostly held due to tradition and how lavish it should be will depend on how much "face" the hosts wanna show....:wink:

Bottom line is don't go if you don't wanna go...Close frens n buddies don't talk abt $$$...kum cheng is paramount..pronto :biggrin:

Only in Singapore do people actually go out of their way to calculate the cost of the dinner and try to match the cost.

Might as well say go dutch. If you can't afford give less than the cost. If you can afford, give more than the cost. Why must be so calculative?

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just to offer a different perspective on your sis in law. why should you dislike her because she & hubby enjoy going for good food every weekend? As long as they are not borrowing money just to eat well, then they are entitled to reward themselves every weekend with a good meal, paid for by their own hard work

everyone has their own little joys in life , for some it may be food, some movies, others collecting Hello Kitty toys.

If the Ritz Carlton wants to check your income tax returns to make sure you are well off before letting you in, Singaporeans will cry blue murder on the internet and forum pages

But here we are, judging our own friends and family members, saying they are not very well off still want to dine on good food?

If a road sweeper saves up his salary to bring his wife to the Ritz Carlton and eat, would I call him a fool? Would I say he should not be eating there because he is a low income earner?

No, because if that brings him joy in life, if that makes his wife happy, then it is a good thing

yes, there were times that they asked my wife for loans. but did not indicate what is that for(pay back after sometime). also sometime i m the one who pay the bill. i thought of not joing them for dinner but that show no respect for my mum in law.... .

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You ever gave $10 angpow or not for a normal wedding dinner? My friend told me he got recevied one such angpow - no name of course at his wedding's dinner in a 4 star restaurant.Talking about this, my friends also told me that he even received $2 for his void deck wedding buffet....how about that for calculative guests?

Void deck wedding buffets are not bad too.You got to eat berayni mutton and chicken and an assortment of dishes and also wonderful delicious cakes. $2 for all these spread?

Normally I give $60 angpow for HDB void deck wedding buffets. Got band to entertain you too and also got singers as well!!! $2 for all these???

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
You ever gave $10 angpow or not for a normal wedding dinner? My friend told me he got recevied one such angpow - no name of course at his wedding's dinner in a 4 star restaurant.

Did your friend find out who gave the $10 ang pow through elimination? That guest might have brought his whole family for a subsidised dinner.:biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..gave the $10 ang pow through elimination? That guest might have brought his whole family for a subsidised dinner.
Can't beat this 1. Confession by an old friend who was hard put to even come up with S$10. Just a slipped an apologetic note, but in absentia of course:o:p

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

To be honest, what's the point? After marriage, there's nothing wrong eating in a HDB hawker centre....everyone eats there anyway.