• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cycle & Carriage , Mercedes-Benz & Wendy Ng

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Koreans want to build Japanese quality cars, why didn't they go to Japan ? Why did they choose America and Europe ? America produces fuck up cars like Chrysler, and Europe, problematic cars like Merz and BMW.

Why didn't the Koreans go straight to Toyota factory ?

http://www.hyundai.com.au/About-Hyu...Design-Philosophy/Design-Centres/default.aspx

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thi...-toyota-and-honda-new-models-suggest-yes/2832

The expert is Jake Fisher, senior auto engineer for Consumer Reports. He spoke to me by phone from CR’s Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Conn. His comments offer a glimpse into CR’s upcoming 2010 annual rankings, which will be published in April.

My interview is in two parts, the second of which will be published tomorrow.

Part I looks at which marques makes the best vehicles — and which brands are the hard chargers that could pass the leaders in very short order.Part II, to come tomorrow: Are hybrids worth it? Can American car makers catch up? Which cars are reliable and why? And the skinny on my the Chevy Silverado which made me hesitate to buy American.

Here’s Part I:

SmartPlanet: Which companies makes the best cars?

Fisher: Generally, it’s Honda and Toyota which jockey for position every year. Sometimes, it’s a Lexus, Scion or Acura. Traditionally, it’s been Japanese cars, Toyota, Honda and Subaru. Hyundai is really moving up the ladder fast. These are the companies that make the best cars and continue to do so.

SP: Will this be reflected in the 2010 rankings?

Fisher: Let me tell you what they are going to be. They’re going to be really amazing (Ed’s note: Fisher bursts of laughter, because he had already said me he would not give me the scoop). There will be some surprises, but we’re not going to come out and say Chrysler is better than Toyota. There are some things that will change. We will have some [new] top picks.

SP: I’m guessing Fords and Hyundais, no?

Fisher: I am not at liberty to divulge. That would be a guess, though (still laughing).

SP: Tell me about Hyundai and to some extent, Kia.

Fisher: Hyundai has Toyota in the cross hairs and is getting there quick. Hyundai is poised to leapfrog Toyota in some ways.

SP: How?

Fisher: Ten years ago, Hyundai was an excellent value, but they were not as good. Then it came out with excellent interiors with nice fit and finish and materials. But their power trains weren’t as powerful or fuel efficient. But the last generation of the Sonata was very fuel efficient, better than the Accord and it was quick.

But it was still boring and looked dull, quite frankly.

Hyundai just introduced a new Sonata at the LA Auto Show. And guess what? It has a different engine, is a great value, has a great interior and looks like a Mercedes Benz CLX (Ed’s note: And Hyundai knows it, too. A Super Bowl ad campaign will assert just that). It’s stylish now and something you want to drive as opposed to something you have to drive. No one rushes out to buy a Camry.

They’re in are in a good position right now whether or not you’re proud to buy a Hyundai or a Kia. The Korean electronic companies have gone from second to first tier and it hasn’t taken that long.

SP: Is it true that in a way, Hyundai and Kia are trying to play Toyota’s game better than Toyota?

Fisher: They’re trying to jump on Honda and Toyotas coattails, producing vehicles very similar to Toyota. When you get a [Kia] trimline EX and there’s a big EX on the hood, it’s not hard to figure out who they are trying to be like. Kia uses EX and LX [to denote trimlines] which Honda has been using for 30 years.

SP: How much has Toyota’s recent accelerator pedal recall hurt it?

Fisher: It’s going hurt them more than it would another auto maker that had the same issue. People buy Toyotas because of the reliability. If it were the same with BMW, it would not have such an impact. People buy BMW’s for the way they drive. People buy Toyotas because they are safe, efficient and reliable transportation, not because they are sexy. If you erode that, it’s going to hurt them.

Quite frankly, the accelerator thing is a very small percentage of vehicles. But in the last several years, we’ve had some below average Toyota models in reliability. We’d never seen that before the 2007 survey. Before that, if it had a Toyota badge, it was going to be reliable. That’s no longer true. Toyota has proven it’s not perfect.

(Three hours after this was posted, Toyota announced it is suspending sales of eight models until it can fix the gas pedal problem).

SP: Was it one thing or variety of problems and which models?

Fisher: It was multiple issues…with a Camry V6, Tundra and a Lexus GS. Even now the all-wheel-drive Lexus GS is still below average in reliability.

SP: What about Honda? Has it stumbled less than Toyota?

Fisher: It has stumbled less, but has a much smaller product line and is a much smaller manufacturer. Toyota is trying to be the biggest auto maker in the world. Honda does not have big trucks and is more focused.

SP: Where do European car makers rank in reliability?

Fisher: Europeans have a lot of models that perform very well, but the reliability has been hit or miss. Most of them are fairly average in reliability.
SP: Can GM and Ford catch up?

Fisher: Yes, I think they can. GM has got a lot of work to do, but Ford has figured out how to make reliable cars on a model by model basis. Some of Ford’s newer vehicles are maintaining reliability. So we’ll see. For them, it’s a matter when they redesign.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Almost all Japanese and later Korean and Chinese and even later Thai, Malaysian, SEA etc. engines are based on and supported by Mitsubishi designed. It was capable of building warplanes to fight world wars two generations ago, what's car engines to them? It's just forced by the defeat in the war not to manufacture arms anymore.

My understand of Mitsubishi:
The trouble with Mitsubishi cars is that they are lost in the world of Toyota and Hondas.
The only choice they have is to sell the old engine design to leverage their position in the auto industry.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The trouble with Mitsubishi cars is that they are lost in the world of Toyota and Hondas.
The only choice they have is to sell the old engine design to leverage their position in the auto industry.

Bingo! :wink: :smile:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

21715440007_large.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Favourite rides test owners' patience

By Celeste Gorrell Anstiss

SCCZEN_A_310810WCSMfef859-4_220x147.JPG

The trusty Toyota Corolla. Photo / APN

Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon and Volkswagen Golf have been rated the least reliable cars by Consumer NZ. The three models - long among New Zealand's favourite vehicles - were bested by the humble Toyota Corolla and Honda Jazz, which came tops.

The results were based on reports from 8500 Kiwi drivers surveyed on car trouble experienced in the last year. The results were grouped by age: 2001-2003, 2004-2006 and 2007-2010.

Toyota and Honda came out the most trouble-free of all models and ages, while Ford and Holden had more problems than average and Subaru, Mitsubishi and Nissan rated consistently in the middle.

Mercedes Benz, Audis and BMWs made between 2001 and 2003 also needed more repairs than other cars, as did 2001-2007 Volkswagens. The top three problem areas reported were electronic systems, brakes and power-fittings.

Consumer NZ researcher Bev Frederikson said she recommended people buy the newest car they could afford. "Later models will have better crash-test ratings and safety features such as anti-skid braking, stability control and multiple air bags," she said. "Take it for a test drive, get a mechanical inspection and check the history of the car on websites such as aa.co.nz, Checka or Carjam."

The full results of the Consumer NZ car reliability survey are published on its website tomorrow.

By Celeste Gorrell Anstiss

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think you are referring to cars like Proton.

Anyway my first car was a 4.5 years old Proton Saga Aeroback. Those days no choice la no money still got to borrow from mama to buy for sales work. That was the first generation Proton and still has a Mitsubishi engine inside. I drove it until COE is finished which means almost 5.5 years. Didn't give me any major issue just some minor issues like corrosion of the exhaust and failure of a temperature sensor. Maintenance was cheap because I will drive into JB for it. Overall I thought it was a pretty hardy car. Happy with it my first car.