• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Those queues at iPhone stores are providing jobs for many and much of the cost is subsidized by the service provider anyway. In fact in another part of this forum, I lamented the lack of consumerism of our locals compared to Hongkong and Japan and this was as a result of the high cost of living particularly for housing and transportation. What we need is more money to consume that generates jobs, and not just to add to the coffers of HDB and Into the pockets of the shareholders of SMRT.

Our money is all tied up with CPF and HDB, how to consume?

The whole economic structure is designed to support Temasek and its cronies.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Those queues at iPhone stores are providing jobs for many and much of the cost is subsidized by the service provider anyway.

The telcos don't subsidize the phones. All they do is defer the collection of the full cost up front. They then collect it twice over from the contract.

All those selfish, uncaring consumers are doing is making fat cats out of the major shareholders of the telcos and we all know who they are... the very people they spend half their lives complaining about.

I shall withhold my saliva this time round out of respect for the yuletide season.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
The telcos don't subsidize the phones. All they do is defer the collection of the full cost up front. They then collect it twice over from the contract.

All those selfish, uncaring consumers are doing is making fat cats out of the major shareholders of the telcos and we all know who they are... the very people they spend half their lives complaining about.

I shall withhold my saliva this time round out of respect for the yuletide season.

Yup,the telecoms simply entraps you by this so called freebies.In the same principal of debt trap-

But what is missing is the consumer protection by the government.When first the Hire Purchase came into being there were laws the protected the consumers so that unfamiliar consumers do not enter into contractual agreements they hardly understand.

Today the telecom companies are doing precisely the same without the government protection we enjoyed before.Simply because PAP and its' cronies are in this business....And as consumers we have no choice but to sign our lives away on the dotted lines.

Let me ask you,had anyone seen a HDB lease agreement?Despite the fact that 80% of us lives in such exorbitantly expensive pigeon holes>becuse HDB does not hand you one.If the government itself plays such games----what choice does a unwitting consumer have?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
.And as consumers we have no choice but to sign our lives away on the dotted lines.

What utter rubbish. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing a signature out of them. I've never signed a mobile phone contract with a telco in my life. My phone cost me $69 and I top up my prepaid card to the tune of $20 every couple of months.

Nobody needs an iPhone. Nobody needs to sign a contract. They buy this stuff for the sole purpose of showing off while ignoring the plight of the poor, the sick, the needy and the destitute.

Idiots who are conned into believing that an iPhone is a necessity by their Messiah Steve Jobs deserve to be ripped off. They're freakin morons and for every twit that departs from this category of humanity, there are two more to take his/her place.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:

Whether you take the subsidy and sign the two-year contract or you don't, you still pay the same subscription. You only lose the right to change operator during the two years. Most people accept the compromise and enjoy the subsidy.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What utter rubbish. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing a signature out of them. I've never signed a mobile phone contract with a telco in my life. My phone cost me $69 and I top up my prepaid card to the tune of $20 every couple of months.

Nobody needs an iPhone. Nobody needs to sign a contract. They buy this stuff for the sole purpose of showing off while ignoring the plight of the poor, the sick, the needy and the destitute.

Idiots who are conned into believing that an iPhone is a necessity by their Messiah Steve Jobs deserve to be ripped off. They're freakin morons and for every twit that departs from this category of humanity, there are two more to take his/her place.

That is what I do too. Sometimes I do get a good one when a friend and relative wanted the lastest and wanted to get rid of theirs. Buying pre-paid was the best decision I made and saved quite a fair sum ober the years.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Whether you take the subsidy and sign the two-year contract or you don't, you still pay the same subscription. You only lose the right to change operator during the two years. Most people accept the compromise and enjoy the subsidy.

Your definition of "subsidy" obviously came from Mah Bow Tan. :rolleyes:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
Your definition of "subsidy" obviously came from Mah Bow Tan. :rolleyes:

No but it is a common term used in mobile telecom circle. Otherwise the operator has to same amount of money to get a new customer to replace you if they lose you to their competitor. This is an industry where the most complex sales and marketing strategies are deployed.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has nothing to do whatsoever with the PAP. The old generation of Singaporeans were great people. They were selfless, hardworking and self reliant and they appreciated what the government did for them and how community spirit was more important than materialism.

The current generation are a different kettle of fish. They are self centered, lazy, stingy, unappreciative of the great things the govt does for them and totally oblivious to the hardships faced by segments of the community. The pretend to care but don't lift a finger to actually do anything to alleviate the plight of these poor unfortunate souls.

They waste both their time and their money on useless gadgets to boost their fragile self esteem. The 12 hours they spent queuing for an iPhone could have been channeled towards helping at an old folk's home or an orphanage. The $$$$ they spend on iPhones, iPads, Galaxies and what have you could have been put to much better use organising a food kitchen and a shelter for the homeless.

To the current generation of Sinkies, I spit on you twice over... PTUI.. PTUI.... and one more time for the heck of it. PTUUUIIIIIIII!!!!

Hey, Mr Leongsam, u need not resort to such a low form of debate as in PTUI PTUI. You're much better than that. I mean it sincerely. Yes, it's true that forummers like to get at u bcos your logic is indeed weird most of the time, but u can put across your points quite well and effectively as your command of the language is pretty good actually. I urge all forummers to keep the discussions at intellectual and meaningful level. After all, the points we're making is for the enlightment for the readers, especially in exposing the PAP lies. In this way, the PAP can't accuse this forum of being from the gutter. They would love to discredit us forummers once they have a chance, so don't give them that opportunity. Thanks and Have A Merry Christmas. Enjoy the holidays!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hey, Mr Leongsam, u need not resort to such a low form of debate as in PTUI PTUI.

The "PTUI" portion of my message is not part of the debate. It's to show my absolute disgust at the loss of morality and decency and the display of extreme hypocrisy from those who dare to insult my beloved PAP without first looking at themselves in the mirror.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The "PTUI" portion of my message is not part of the debate. It's to show my absolute disgust at the loss of morality and decency and the display of extreme hypocrisy from those who dare to insult my beloved PAP without first looking at themselves in the mirror.

I remember u saying at another thread that u hate PAP to the core and now is "my beloved PAP"?

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember u saying at another thread that u hate PAP to the core and now is "my beloved PAP"?

Don't let Sam upset you too much.His methodology of debating is quite antiquated.Obviously he still thinks soc style of obnoxious psuedo self incrimination is sort of plying to the gallery as a devil's advocate.Since any form of heat generated in this forum still benefits him commercially.Not many here takes him seriously ; neither he wants you to,I presume.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't let Sam upset you too much.His methodology of debating is quite antiquated.Obviously he still thinks soc style of obnoxious psuedo self incrimination is sort of plying to the gallery as a devil's advocate.Since any form of heat generated in this forum still benefits him commercially.Not many here takes him seriously ; neither he wants you to,I presume.

Very true. Thanks for the advice. But I'm not being upsetted by him lah. It's just I enjoy giving it back to him. Makes my day to point out his warped logic and inconsistency. Have a Merry Christmans and enjoy the holidays!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Since any form of heat generated in this forum still benefits him commercially.Not many here takes him seriously ; neither he wants you to,I presume.

Explain to me how debating with twits generates income. Are you suggesting that people actually pay to read the hogwash here? Who sends them the bill?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
"Subsidy" would be if the phone was being sold well below the prices listed at http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s with no strings attached.

Try buying it without the contract. Maybe NZ operators don't practise this method of customer retention and customer acquisition. In fact it is a real subsidy as the operator's bottom line is badly hit because of this, especially when they are selling iPhones because Apple Comp. requires the operator to give large subsidies to bring in the sales. This is what bundled price is about.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It's just I enjoy giving it back to him. Makes my day to point out his warped logic and inconsistency. Have a Merry Christmans and enjoy the holidays!

I'm sure many are enthralled by your investigative journalistic skills. However, you didn't dig deep enough or you would have discovered that I'm more consistent than anyone else when it comes to airing my views.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:

I hope the "PTUI" is not meant to be your Xmas present to forummers. Anyway Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure many are enthralled by your investigative journalistic skills. However, you didn't dig deep enough or you would have discovered that I'm more consistent than anyone else when it comes to airing my views.

I have to agree. You're indeed consistent with your warped logic and consistent at being inconsistent.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have to agree. You're indeed consistent with your warped logic and consistent at being inconsistent.

Changing my mind about the PAP doesn't make me inconsistent. It simply means that they conducted a good enough campaign that convinced me to change my vote.

If the 6% swing from the PAP to the opposition in the last election is being applauded by many, why should my switching my loyalties from the opposition to the PAP be deemed "inconsistent"? Vote swings can go either way. It's part and parcel of the democratic process.