• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crumbling of Singapore?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Racial polarization in SG is PAP politicking...Even the the recent racial riots in SG in the 60s is attributed to politics.Because UMNO of Malaysia point fingers at PAP and PAP points fingers at UMNO.Notwithstanding it still is the matter of politics.

Thanks...:smile:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alot have been said about the Chinese and Malays racial mix. What about the Indians? Official statistics say they constitute 9% but with the influx of nationals from India over the past decade, the figure should be much higher now. Take the train or look around at your workplace or neighbourhood and you can see that there are alot more Indians now compared to last time. And in the political arena, the Indian representation is out of proportion ; there are 4 Indians in a cabinet consisting of 15 ministers.

race, religion, language are very sensitive and must be handled wisely...look at the SMRT saga and Seng Han Tong's issue..

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Sabo By PAP !

.jpg

No lah. This one lah. That's what you get if yer cross a Merlion with the PAP logo.

hahahaha..thanks

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, WKS, MBT and Raymond Lim did exit the stage immediately. But not LKY hor. Don't be fooled by it. It doesn't matter if he's in the cabinet or not. He could well be named as the parliament's toilet attendant and it doesn't matter one bit. Every cabinet decision is still being run by him and all decisions have their source of origin earlier policies implemented by LKY. The real Hard Truth is that as long as LKY is still alive, he's still the one in charge.

True..This type of governance certainly contradicts good governance the pap is trying to implement in SG. Shd our highly paid and self-claim talented ministers allow this?

This, if allowed to prolong, will cause the crumble of SG.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The use of dialects and languages policy in Singapore can be very divisive. Another bad issue used
by the pap is to discriminate against Opposition wards. The pap uses Singaporeans' money for its own political agenda. It uses MND and the HDB to discriminate against opposition ward residents by giving them least priority in LUPs, etc. This is morally wrong and turns Singaporeans against Singaporeans.

I hope that KBW is more morally conscious and more enlightened than MBT and reverse this divisive policy

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I disagree. Welfare is a slippery slope from which there is no return. While the intentions of welfare are noble, all it does to a nation in the long term is destroy the work ethic.

The money may be there but to dish it out willy-nilly to those who have fallen off the treadmill will leave those who are running very fast in order to stay ahead to ask themselves "Why should I bother?" I'll just fall off too and I'll be taken care of.". Before you know it, a considerable proportion of of the population will have gone soft.

Abuse of the system is also impossible to prevent no matter what sort of measures are put in place so you'll end up with healthy hardworking and capable individuals supporting healthy, capable and lazy individuals.

Care for the weakest in society is best left to NGOs. Concerned citizens with the resources to help can then work through these organisations to target assistance where it is needed most.

I attach a report from Asia One regarding a world-wide philanthrophy poll of 153 communities and Singapore is ranked only a lowly 91st in that list.

S'pore ranked 91st again in philanthropy poll

By Sia Ling Xin
my paper
Wednesday, Dec 21, 2011
Singaporeans may still be giving to charity despite the gloomy economic outlook, but the country trails other territories in the region in terms of philanthropy.

In a global report on 153 territories this year, Singapore maintained its 91st ranking for contributions to charity.

The country tied with India and Iran.

Singapore was also one of the lowest-ranked in South-east Asia, even as other territories in the region moved up the ranks.

The World Giving Index 2011, by Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), was based on a survey carried out in the first quarter of this year.

It polled a total of 153,000 people, of which at least 500 are Singaporeans.

This is the second time the survey was conducted.

Participants were asked three questions: whether they had given money, volunteered their time, or helped a stranger, all in the preceding month.

Despite the stagnant ranking, Singapore saw a slightly improved overall score, from 27 per cent last year to 28 per cent this year.

This score is the aggregate of participants' responses to the three questions.

The report found that more Singaporeans are giving cash donations and volunteering their time.

The number of those who donated money went up from 35 per cent last year to 41 per cent this year.

This was borne out by a report in my paper yesterday, which found that Singaporeans are still donating to charities, despite a looming economic downturn.

The number of those who volunteered their time went up slightly, from 10 per cent last year to 11 per cent this year.

However, when it comes to helping a stranger, fewer people are doing so this year - from 35 per cent last year to 33 per cent this year.

Although Singapore improved significantly in terms of cash donations, there were not much changes in the other two areas of assessment.

This put Singapore at a disadvantage, compared to countries that have shown improvements across the three areas, explained Ms Elaine Tan, chief executive of CAF South East Asia.

Mr Laurence Lien, chief executive of Singapore's National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre, told my paper that the findings show that "giving is not a way of life in Singapore yet".

However, Singapore is "certainly on the right path", even though "there is a lot of room to grow" when it comes to giving locally, he said.

Territories in the region that made it to the top 10 were Sri Lanka (No. 8), Thailand (No. 9) and Laos (No. 10).

Hong Kong came in 11th.

The United States took the top spot.

Ms Tan explained that Hong Kong, which has an economy similar to Singapore's, may have done better because "Hong Kongers are generally more responsive to charitable causes related to Greater China", where needs may seem more dire.

[email protected]

Do you think that leaving to the people to help the disadvantaged will work very well in Singapore?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Do you think that leaving to the people to help the disadvantaged will work very well in Singapore?

Shows what a bunch of hypocrites Singaporeans are doesn't it. They keep bleating about how the government should help the disadvantaged but are totally unwilling to put their money where their mouth is and do their part in helping out.

All those who didn't need the bonus payouts that the government distributed prior to the last few elections could easily have handed it over to the poor and the elderly and it would have changed lives and made a huge impact.

Instead, they used it to upgrade their iPhones and LCD TVs and then have the gall to accuse the government of being heartless.

I spit on these sorts of people.. PTUI!!!!

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I attach a report from Asia One regarding a world-wide philanthrophy poll of 153 communities and Singapore is ranked only a lowly 91st in that list.

Good point. The pap govt cant have the cake and eat it. It taxes its citizens so heavily and got so much revenue. Yet when it comes to helping poor, aged and sick Singaporeans it is so stingy and wants to pass the buck to charitable Singaporeans.

The govt must take the lead to care for Singaporeans who fall through the cracks. It can solicit support and help from Singaporeans. If support is forthcoming, that's well and good and the govt comes out less. But if its appeal is unsuccessful, the govt has to shoulder the burden and make sure that poor, sick Singaporeans are not neglected and left in the lurch

Last edited:

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shows what a bunch of hypocrites Singaporeans are doesn't it. They keep bleating about how the government should help the disadvantaged but are totally unwilling to put their money where their mouth is and do their part in helping out.

All those who didn't need the bonus payouts that the government distributed prior to the last few elections could easily have handed it over to the poor and the elderly and it would have changed lives and made a huge impact.

Instead, they used it to upgrade their iPhones and LCD TVs and then have the gall to accuse the government of being heartless.

I agree with you especially those so-called elites and high-flyers.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:

The problem is the bulk of the people have their budget cut out for them. A lot of it goes to pay for their flat, whatever is left goes to the car or their daily transportation expenses. You notice that Singapore, minus these two items, does not reach the consumption level as Hong Kong or Japan. Also there is CPF to pay for. I am you do not want me to state the obvious: Pay and Pay. The government doesn't leave anything in the budget for welfare for us.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I agree with you especially those so-called elites and high-flyers.

That's a total distortion of the real picture. The average Singaporean has tons of money to throw down the drain. Look at this queue for the iPhone. They can hardly be classified as elites and high fliers. They happily blow hundreds of dollars on some gimmicky gadget instead of using the money to assist the poor old lady cleaning the tables just across the road.

3000 in the queue x $500 = 1.5 MILLION dollars which could be used to help the needy in Singapore instead of going to Apple Inc and its shareholders.

Bunch of hypocrites! PTUI!!!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z4XXJNGUmq0" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a total distortion of the real picture. The average Singaporean has tons of money to throw down the drain. Look at this queue for the iPhone. They can hardly be classified as elites and high fliers. They happily blow hundreds of dollars on some gimmicky gadget instead of using it to assist the poor old lady cleaning the tables just across the road.

3000 in the queue x $500 = 1.5 MILLION dollars which could be used to help the needy in Singapore instead of going to Apple Inc and its shareholders.

Bunch of hypocrites! PTUI!!!

My my... how quickly you have forgotten the golden age of charity that came briefly in the last decade.

Did you forget once upon a time Ren Ci raised over $7 million in donations through a televised fund raiser? We are talking about a time when three or more fund raisers were televised by year. Singaporeans, like a flock of sheep, simply need to be prodded to do what is right. Televised fund raisers, like Apple under Steve Jobs, instinctively knew how to make people part with their money.

(But of course the largest donations are tax motivated. Not to mention this method of welfare allocation is inherently flawed.)

Speaking of which, I can just imagine Nicole Seah, the MP, appealing to donors on TV to call in and support needy people. Nothing makes men part with money like a damsel in tears. :biggrin:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

This statement stinks the sky.Because the writings are that of an ignorant....."He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him.”...So here it goes.

Sinkies did not drop from the sky.They are the sons and daughters who were begetted by their fathers and mothers.What I am simply saying is look beyond 50 to 100 years before.Everything revolved around self-help.Yes,help your community or whither.The little colonial Christian mercy missionaries that existed helped the small local Christian community who were mostly babas.Otherwise each community looked after itself Nothing more nothing less.Save for the justice department and the municipality the British practically practiced lazeez affair in their governance.Hence the Malays,Arabs and Indians built mosques and temples as community help organizations.Likewise with the small Jewish and Armenian community.Chinese built clan associations for self-help.

Self help by communities in Singapore governed a large portion of our forefathers lives.But I must pick the area of education for special mention.Because when a comparative study was done between ethnic Indians of S,Africa vs ethnic Indians of Malaysia.....it was because of self-help in education that put S.African Indians miles ahead.

Each community in Singapore took care of their own education--in their vernacular language of course.There were Chinese schools for the Chinese.The Madrashahs and Arabic schools for the Malays and Tamil schools for the Tamil Indians.Philanthropists of each community made their marks in this sector.Men who made their millions donated liberally so that their community will be educated....Singapore had a thriving self help society.

So much so that the world renowned genius Albert Einstein came all the way to Singapore to appeal for donation among the Jewish community to build their very first university.Among the locals Lee Kong Chian and Tan Kah Kee outshined.They acme to Singapore from China penniless.. And founded schools like the Chinese High School, the first Chinese institution of higher learning in Southeast Asia.Some contributed every cent of their wealth, even their own entire family's wealth to the public sectors. The Indian Muslim community built the very fist Tamil institution of higher learning in SEA through donations of 5cents to 50 cents.Nanyang University is the first Chinese-language university outside China. It is funded through donations from people from all walks of life.Enough said.

But PAP destroyed every one of these self help institutions,PAP effectively destroyed every one of Chinese,Malay and Tamil educational schools and institutions of higher learning built on public donations....Only some Malay/Muslims Madrashas left.Even their funding is suffocated by PAP.Because a lot of wealthy Arabs and Indian Muslims left huge properties bequeathed to their community for self help.PAP sort of nationalized these properties.The same fate befalled on Hindu and Sikh temples too.They are now left minus their properties which has huge commercial value since most are around the city.

Enough said.If anybody destroyed our pioneering spirit of self help it solely belonged to PAP.They destroyed our self financing institutions so that we are dependent on their hands out.

Now,Sam...would you please swallow your spit back.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Enough said.If anybody destroyed our pioneering spirit of self help it solely belonged to PAP.They destroyed our self financing institutions so that we are dependent on their hands out.

Now,Sam...would you please swallow your spit back.

It has nothing to do whatsoever with the PAP. The old generation of Singaporeans were great people. They were selfless, hardworking and self reliant and they appreciated what the government did for them and how community spirit was more important than materialism.

The current generation are a different kettle of fish. They are self centered, lazy, stingy, unappreciative of the great things the govt does for them and totally oblivious to the hardships faced by segments of the community. The pretend to care but don't lift a finger to actually do anything to alleviate the plight of these poor unfortunate souls.

They waste both their time and their money on useless gadgets to boost their fragile self esteem. The 12 hours they spent queuing for an iPhone could have been channeled towards helping at an old folk's home or an orphanage. The $$$$ they spend on iPhones, iPads, Galaxies and what have you could have been put to much better use organising a food kitchen and a shelter for the homeless.

To the current generation of Sinkies, I spit on you twice over... PTUI.. PTUI.... and one more time for the heck of it. PTUUUIIIIIIII!!!!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... The current generation are a different kettle of fish. They are self centered, lazy, stingy, unappreciative of the great things the govt does for them and totally oblivious to the hardships faced by segments of the community. The pretend to care but don't lift a finger to actually do anything useful ...
ya, man! ...

n tis curren generation of self-centered, lazy, stingy ... n totally oblivious 2 ze hardships faced by segments of ze community burgerz haf formed ze curren gahmen ... datz y ze curren gahmen is lidat ... :rolleyes:

... To the current generation of Sinkies, I spit on you twice over... PTUI.. PTUI.... and one more time for the heck of it. PTUUUIIIIIIII!!!!
wel ... v all noe u got saliva mor dan t ... :rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
ya, man! ...

n tis curren generation of self-centered, lazy, stingy ... n totally oblivious 2 ze hardships faced by segments of ze community burgerz haf formed ze curren gahmen ... datz y ze curren gahmen is lidat ... :rolleyes:

Those that have formed the government are the exceptions. They have sacrificed their time, their privacy and their freedom in order to keep Singapore successful and prosperous.

They have had to face ridicule and harassment on line from anonymous cowards and in real life from spineless crowds who heckle with the safety of numbers but who have only half the IQ and a quarter of the talent of those they mock. Yet they still soldier on for the sake of the long term prosperity of the Nation.

They may be young but they have earned my respect and admiration. I wish them the very best for their own sake and for the future of Singapore.

To the cowardly, materialistic, selfish sinkies who think everyone owes them a living and that the world revolves around them, I give them one more PTUI!!! for good measure and an :oIo: to show my disdain.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
That's a total distortion of the real picture. The average Singaporean has tons of money to throw down the drain. Look at this queue for iPhone.

Those queues at iPhone stores are providing jobs for many and much of the cost is subsidized by the service provider anyway. In fact in another part of this forum, I lamented the lack of consumerism of our locals compared to Hongkong and Japan and this was as a result of the high cost of living particularly for housing and transportation. What we need is more money to consume that generates jobs, and not just to add to the coffers of HDB and Into the pockets of the shareholders of SMRT.