• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Ed helicopter

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think so. I don't think your opinion is absolute and I think there's a place for alternative opinion. I don't think mine absolute too.

don't think so what? a society 97 percent of the population is asian, which uses English in school for 90 over percent of the subject, dont u think thats against the principle of proportionality??

Last edited:

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because we are no longer a colony of the British. We are a independent country now. And 97 percent of the population is Asian. 75.2% of the population is Chinese, 13.6 Malays, 8.8 percent Indian, 2.4% others.

Where are the Ang Moh (Caucasian)? Under the 2.4% category? So why use English language as the main language here, so that we could cater to the 2.4% of the population? Its against the principle of proportionality and common sense.

You are right, we are no longer the colony of the british, we are effectively a colony of America, LAGI WORSE!!!!

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right, we are no longer the colony of the british, we are effectively a colony of America, LAGI WORSE!!!!

More likely a colony of China, judging by the huge influx of Chinese taking up PR and citizenship in Singapore.!! This may not be a bad thing as they address the problem of the slow birth rate !!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
don't think so what? a society 97 percent of the population is asian, which uses English in school for 90 over percent of the subject, dont u think thats against the principle of proportionality??

I don't think so, so what? You don't think so, so what?

In the end, so what?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think so, so what? You don't think so, so what?

In the end, so what?

In the end Singapore will lose its edge. The emphasis on English language, doesn't give us an edge. Instead, we are losing competitiveness to other country: Singaporeans are neither fluent in English nor Asian language. In the end Singaporeans lose.

This English as first language policy, in the end, is leading Singapore to a losing end.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the end Singapore will lose its edge. The emphasis on English language, doesn't give us an edge. Instead, we are losing competitiveness to other country: Singaporeans are neither fluent in English nor Asian language. In the end Singaporeans lose.

This English as first language policy, in the end, is leading Singapore to a losing end.

On the other hand, Singaporeans are ambidextrous with their knowledge of both English and Chinese. Business in this region will done using the two languages bearing in mind the rise of China and India !!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the other hand, Singaporeans are ambidextrous with their knowledge of both English and Chinese. Business in this region will done using the two languages bearing in mind the rise of China and India !!

Business done using the two languages? But our standard of 2nd language are below par.

And English wise, we cant speak good english, thats why the speak good english campaign.

Which means we suck both in English and 2nd language.

Thats not ambidextrous, thats crippled.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Business done using the two languages? But our standard of 2nd language are below par.

And English wise, we cant speak good english, thats why the speak good english campaign.

Which means we suck both in English and 2nd language.

Thats not ambidextrous, thats crippled.

Then we do business with one region and not the other ah ?? Gong Wei !!

A

Alu862

The failure of our English as a working launguage system. We preach speak good English but we put shows like PCK on. Then we find that our "mother tongue" is lacking--so speak good Chinese campagin (Interestingly, Tamil and Malay is a hard language to those who speak it). Thhe also the perception--see Chinese of course must be Chinese speaking. See Ang Moh-- kowtow to them and try to speak Engrish.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The failure of our English as a working launguage system. We preach speak good English but we put shows like PCK on. Then we find that our "mother tongue" is lacking--so speak good Chinese campagin (Interestingly, Tamil and Malay is a hard language to those who speak it). Thhe also the perception--see Chinese of course must be Chinese speaking. See Ang Moh-- kowtow to them and try to speak Engrish.

Then we do business with one region and not the other ah ?? Gong Wei !!

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. Language skills are basic. Which we must take care of it. It will affect business, politics, and many other areas.[/

You mean our current citizens who are proficient in English and Chinese cannot do business with thedifferent regional counterparts??

Or do they have to be expert in one language to do business in one isolated region ??

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What language failure? Where got fail? How affect business or economy? Singapore is among Top 20 (if not Top 10) GDP-per-capita rankings in the world. Now don't tell me that money and income not important compared to so-called heritage, look at the foreign laborers and maids and even prostititutes who came here to serve Singaporeans. They kept their native first languages, don't they?

Language is just a medium for communication. Excessive emphasis among any linguistic group or race is just political fascism or fanatical idealism. If the majority of Singaporeans choose to abandon English, I don't mind too, in the principle of proportionality as well as the spirit of democracy. But if a minority few start trying to mount on moral high horse for certain agenda, that's different.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
What language failure? Where got fail? How affect business or economy? Singapore is among Top 20 (if not Top 10) GDP-per-capita rankings in the world. Now don't give me that money and income not important, look at the foreign laborers and maids and even prostititutes who came here to serve Singaporeans. They kept their native first languages, don't they?

I don't think we would be competitive in the long run if we carry on with our current language policy.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think we would be competitive in the long run if we carry on with our current language policy.

What the fuck are you mumbling now ?

First you insisted on the perfection of language. Now you backed off, with a pathetic general statement, after facts and reality are presented to you !!