• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bras Basah Pen Shops (Montblanc)

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you. why dun you spend some time practising handwriting with a good fountain pen. Practise make perfect. Think about it. All you need is notebook and good fountain pen. Keep writing the same words over and over again. Try to make it all the same, in a few months, you would master it.

I gave up on fountain pens despite craving to acquire an expensive one as a kid. It dawned on me that no matter how hard I tried or the how good the pen was, my handwriting was totally fucked up. I still admire and look at pens on display but give up when I think of my handwriting.

I have been reading this thread like a kid waiting for his dad to take him to Macs.

i have to compliment Singveld on the way he is always able to furnish full and graphic information including a bucketload of esoteric information on a subject that he has handle on. His peektures always are crystal clear, nicely proportioned and grabs the eye.

Also amazed with many of the brudders here on their handle on the subject and the good memories they share.

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
you have issue with the boss? boss is busy with tour de France now. He has no time to do that.

I don't have issue with the boss. What I'm saying is it's really up to individuals. You can see for yourself that most of the time people digress from the topic without knowing. For example, in this thread TS specifically asked for location of the Bras Basah shop that sells Mont Blanc, and he almost got diverted into whether he should get a Mont Blanc or a Caran d' Ache.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't have issue with the boss. What I'm saying is it's really up to individuals. You can see for yourself that most of the time people digress from the topic without knowing. For example, in this thread TS specifically asked for location of the Bras Basah shop that sells Mont Blanc, and he almost got diverted into whether he should get a Mont Blanc or a Caran d' Ache.

so you have a problem with me after all the twist and turn.

Who are you to be the judge in this forum, that we have to stick to the title of the threads.

Who do that in this forum anyway?

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
so you have a problem with me after all the twist and turn.

Who are you to be the judge in this forum, that we have to stick to the title of the threads.

Who do that in this forum anyway?

I don't have a problem with you. The thread is only helpful to the TS insofar as his query is answered.

I'm glad you know you didn't stick to the title of this thread.

mikec

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This thread had met my needs and thanks again to all those that I have thanked before, you guess are great.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope you don't mind me getting the last word in...just OT abit.

I had a b'day gift of a Rotax pen and a Oris watch in my teens, guess it was popular items that time :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats indeed good advice. Thanks bro, will give it a go.
Thank you. why dun you spend some time practising handwriting with a good fountain pen. Practise make perfect. Think about it. All you need is notebook and good fountain pen. Keep writing the same words over and over again. Try to make it all the same, in a few months, you would master it.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singveld bro, you should post more writing samples. The Caran d'Ache inks are very beautiful. Wonderful shadings. Too bad they come in micro bottles. Maybe put them in the moderated threads so we continue to have interesting discussions.

One problem I notice with our local pen shops are its poorly motivated sales staff. One look and they think you got no money. Might as well be a psychic and operate at sibeh lor and read ladies palms. About to buy another $500 pen from FH but they boh chup so I left. No wonder employers are taking in foreigners. Plenty of pen shops to go to anyway. They have some very interesting inks on display too.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You need a fountain pen and a bottle of ink. Visit Mustafa, both ground floor and 4th floor got interesting selections. Parker look-alike Heros are sold for less than $2.00. Prices have no relationship to improving your penmanship. It takes years for people like me and I am still at ground level. One more thing, their MB sometimes crazy pricings, bought a MB149 for S$700+ which retails around US$800+. They don't allow testing with ink so you must know what you are buying first.

Thats indeed good advice. Thanks bro, will give it a go.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.. and the best part
is; you need to buy the ink-refiLLs and do the pump-pump yourseLf, which at times can be quite messy..:wink:

I remember that in those olden days my school didn't allow ball point pens. You had to use fountain pens because it was considered to be neater than ball point.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cringe every time I see schoolgirls doing homework at McDonalds using the dead man grip with their ball pens.

I remember that in those olden days my school didn't allow ball point pens. You had to use fountain pens because it was considered to be neater than ball point.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok sound like a good idea, A caran d'ache thread in moderated folder soon. standby. What is FH?

Singveld bro, you should post more writing samples. The Caran d'Ache inks are very beautiful. Wonderful shadings. Too bad they come in micro bottles. Maybe put them in the moderated threads so we continue to have interesting discussions.

One problem I notice with our local pen shops are its poorly motivated sales staff. One look and they think you got no money. Might as well be a psychic and operate at sibeh lor and read ladies palms. About to buy another $500 pen from FH but they boh chup so I left. No wonder employers are taking in foreigners. Plenty of pen shops to go to anyway. They have some very interesting inks on display too.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..and i remembered they come in a few grades, the goLd casing ones are the most ex right ?, and the best part
is; you need to buy the ink-refiLLs and do the pump-pump yourseLf, which at times can be quite messy..:wink:

yeah pump pump refill in school days, but nowadays no more pump pump.

mostly piston only, where you turn the piston down and tip into ink and turn the piston up.

like this.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro for the tips. Looking forward to it.

You need a fountain pen and a bottle of ink. Visit Mustafa, both ground floor and 4th floor got interesting selections. Parker look-alike Heros are sold for less than $2.00. Prices have no relationship to improving your penmanship. It takes years for people like me and I am still at ground level. One more thing, their MB sometimes crazy pricings, bought a MB149 for S$700+ which retails around US$800+. They don't allow testing with ink so you must know what you are buying first.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
My first fountain pen was given me by my late Dad when I entered Sec 1. It was a Parker with one of those shell-oyster finish in dark green/black and rubber pump press type to fill ink. It was very beautiful and I kept and treasured it for many years, even after ball points took over and better pens came along. But I had a big problem with the pen. It was very scratchy, and no matter how I inclined it in my hand, refused to glide along smoothly. That really took away my interest, but I kept it from my dad so as not to hurt his feelings. Then one day, I decided to use one of his work shop files and tried to smoothen the tip. Of cos, it was a disaster, and after that the pen couldnt dispense ink nicely anymore. So what I learnt is that when buying pens, the person for whom the pen is intended must always test it to his/her liking - smoothness, fineness, slant, angle of nip etc.

I agree that unless you can write long cursive elegantly and patiently, fountain pens are not for you. Now with email, sms etc. the days of writing letters and posting them are lost. One also tends to take trouble to think before putting pen to paper since it is messy to keep correcting and cancelling. With the keyboard, we have lost the patience and art of writing with passion, and we give little thought to whatever we are hammering away to slam that sob who just slighted you on sbf.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Caran d'ache fountain pen tips are very smooth to write on paper.
I tried all brand available in the store, none of them are as smooth. The body build quality also not in good build quality compare to caran d'ache.
In this age of computer, true writing is not as value. But i think it is worth to master it.

My first fountain pen was given me by my late Dad when I entered Sec 1. It was a Parker with one of those shell-oyster finish in dark green/black and rubber pump press type to fill ink. It was very beautiful and I kept and treasured it for many years, even after ball points took over and better pens came along. But I had a big problem with the pen. It was very scratchy, and no matter how I inclined it in my hand, refused to glide along smoothly. That really took away my interest, but I kept it from my dad so as not to hurt his feelings. Then one day, I decided to use one of his work shop files and tried to smoothen the tip. Of cos, it was a disaster, and after that the pen couldnt dispense ink nicely anymore. So what I learnt is that when buying pens, the person for whom the pen is intended must always test it to his/her liking - smoothness, fineness, slant, angle of nip etc.

I agree that unless you can write long cursive elegantly and patiently, fountain pens are not for you. Now with email, sms etc. the days of writing letters and posting them are lost. One also tends to take trouble to think before putting pen to paper since it is messy to keep correcting and cancelling. With the keyboard, we have lost the patience and art of writing with passion, and we give little thought to whatever we are hammering away to slam that sob who just slighted you on sbf.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If its a Parker 51, its now a collector's item. If the old man is still living you can visit Pek Kay Lee at 2nd Level Blk 32, Upper Cross Street which faces sub-courts. He have lots of replacement parts for Parker pens. For fountain pens it is not just writing long cursive elegantly and patiently, it also rewire your brain to think before you write. Its a triumph to write a page without a single mistake. Many of us have given up on fountain pens due to bad experience and negative associations with exams anxiety, ink spills, parents high expectations. The modern fountain pen are different now and designed for pure writing pleasure with all kinds of nibs, including springy, baby bottom smooth, slight hint of scratch, stubs, italics, flexible nibs, plus now we got all colors of ink imaginable instead of just dreary blue or black inks.

..one day, I decided to use one of his work shop files and tried to smoothen the tip. Of cos, it was a disaster, and after that the pen couldnt dispense ink nicely anymore. ..