• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Arsenal Season 2009-10

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Arsenal is missing Fabregas, Gallas, Arshavin, Song, Van Persie.
Barcelona is missing Pique, Puyol, Ibrahimovic.
If you ask me, Arsenal have a chance, but Barcelona are good for a few goals at the Nou Camp on any given day,
Should be a cracker.

Messi will finish them off, with a crack.

I think that Messi could be the new Maradona. Doesn't even have to score the goal himself to finish an opponent team off. Two of the best "Maradona goals" I remembered weren't scored by Mardona himself.

- 1986 versus Germany...when all Germans expected him to take the ball and run he split the whole German defence formation in crumbs with a non-offside through pass to Burruchaga to score. Argentina 3 Germany 2.

- 1990 verus Brazil...Brazilians too cocky to watch videos and learn lessons. Almost exact situation, Maradona conjured almost exactly the same trick again, this time for Cannigga to score. Argentina 1 Brazil 0.

Of course, Burruchaga and Canninga must be reasonably good by world standards too for Maradona to succeed that. Anyway, there's no such thing as not reasonably good if one plays for Argentina in the World Cup.

If Messi can grow into that type of standard, Arsenal is dead as hotdog.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal

I think that Messi could be the new Maradona. Doesn't even have to score the goal himself to finish an opponent team off. Two of the best "Maradona goals" I remembered weren't scored by Mardona himself.

- 1986 versus Germany...when all Germans expected him to take the ball and run he split the whole German defence formation in crumbs with a non-offside through pass to Burruchaga to score. Argentina 3 Germany 2.

- 1990 verus Brazil...Brazilians too cocky to watch videos and learn lessons. Almost exact situation, Maradona conjured almost exactly the same trick again, this time for Cannigga to score. Argentina 1 Brazil 0.

Of course, Burruchaga and Canninga must be reasonably good by world standards too for Maradona to succeed that. Anyway, there's no such thing as not reasonably good if one plays for Argentina in the World Cup.

You're right, Messi is the key.
He's absolutely the best player in the world at the moment, Ronaldo is second by some way, and then behind him comes a number of players in third.
Messi is better than Maradona was at his age and I believe he will become even better than Maradona.
He's definitely the key man and gamebreaker in this match, even though he was relatively quiet in the first leg. He will have to do more now than Ibrahimovic is injured and Barcelona will have to keep attacking to keep Arsenal away from their weakened defence.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
start with will finish, end with if can grow ... cover all bases, are ya :biggrin:
nobody doubts Messi's talent ... but hey, he was pretty ordinary last weekend against Athletic Bilbao in La Liga.

Fact is before any game, every football critic is entitled to his conjecture.
I can also say - once in a blue moon, Walcott mesmerized opponents with his pace & his Croatia hattrick ... & tonite there will be a Blue Moon :biggrin: ! Rosicky, Niklas Bendtner, Eduardo play out of your skins ok?

Just enjoy the soccer artistry tonight & as always, may the underdog prevail :cool: !

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're right, Messi is the key.
He's absolutely the best player in the world at the moment, Ronaldo is second by some way, and then behind him comes a number of players in third.
Messi is better than Maradona was at his age and I believe he will become even better than Maradona.
He's definitely the key man and gamebreaker in this match, even though he was relatively quiet in the first leg. He will have to do more now than Ibrahimovic is injured and Barcelona will have to keep attacking to keep Arsenal away from their weakened defence.

Messi better than Maradona at his age? Not quite. Messi is more well known because he's playing for Barcelona. Maradona was already recognised world best player by 1977 when he was 16 with Boca Juniors.

Cesar Menotti (Argentina manager) dropped Maradona from World Cup 1978 which Argentina hosted, citing he's too young and might be unmanangeable at World Cup level. That's probably the biggest regret Maradona has in his life, missing World Cup hosted in Argentina.

Many other managers and commentators thought Menotti crazy too. Menotti recalled Mario Kempes from Valencia, the only Argentine player playing abroad that time. Kempes performance against Poland, Peru and Holland earn himself the golden boots and Argentina the World Cup.

Menotti instead of head on chopping board also became national hero and wise man. In 1982, with Maradona more matured, he played Maradona alongside defending world cup winning comrades like Kempes and Ardiles, to disastrous effects. Argentina lost 3 games out of 5. Maradona ended his campaign fustration with a red card. He did make a remarkable comeback in 1986 to win it though, however controversially, still a genius at football. Not only physical skills, but genius with the game in mind.

To be fair, from my POV, Kempes performance in 1978, especially in the final against Holland, matched any of Maradona's. Menotti was fully vindicated and rewarded. Go YouTube and watch Kempes' 2 goals against Holland. Even Holland got no complain.

I really like this guy Mario Kempes. Very quiet and humble guy. 70s rockstar hairstyle. In an interview, he was asked, if Argentina 1978 versus Argentina 1986, who'd win? He replied, Argentina.

Last edited:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really like this guy Mario Kempes. Very quiet and humble guy. 70s rockstar hairstyle. In an interview, he was asked, if Argentina 1978 versus Argentina 1986, who'd win? He replied, Argentina.

excellent recap of the genius of Kempes. I like his style too ... yr account rought back memories ....:cool:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MESSI 4 Arsenal 1

That's it ! No complaints - lost to a genius called Messi.

For a moment at 1-3 down, i thought if Arsenal can draw 3-3 they would be through !

Alas ... Messi had to score 4 last night - 4 on the flow ; not from penalties.
Sorry Rooney, despite yr best ever season, i think Messi will still be Best Player of the Year come election time !

looks increasingly like NO english team may feature in the semi-finals .... sigh.

If any team deserves to be the first Champions League winner to successfully defend its crown, maybe this Barcelona team would be the one..

Barca bloody lucky ... after the Ronaldinho-Eto era, they have quickly re-invented themselves with this Messi-led winning outfit again .....

Well, Arsenal - go all out to stop Chelski & Man U in the BPL stakes now .... that's your only prize now ! :cool:

P.S. sigh... why everytime Gunners lead 1st will ultimately lose to Barca.
Before Messi open account, I swear had Dharby passed to Walcott & he scored - then leadin 2-0 the night may turn out differently .... sigh ..chwee kong lumpar song :biggrin:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Messi better than Maradona at his age? Not quite. Messi is more well known because he's playing for Barcelona. Maradona was already recognised world best player by 1977 when he was 16 with Boca Juniors.

Cesar Menotti (Argentina manager) dropped Maradona from World Cup 1978 which Argentina hosted, citing he's too young and might be unmanangeable at World Cup level. That's probably the biggest regret Maradona has in his life, missing World Cup hosted in Argentina.

Many other managers and commentators thought Menotti crazy too. Menotti recalled Mario Kempes from Valencia, the only Argentine player playing abroad that time. Kempes performance against Poland, Peru and Holland earn himself the golden boots and Argentina the World Cup.

Menotti instead of head on chopping board also became national hero and wise man. In 1982, with Maradona more matured, he played Maradona alongside defending world cup winning comrades like Kempes and Ardiles, to disastrous effects. Argentina lost 3 games out of 5. Maradona ended his campaign fustration with a red card. He did make a remarkable comeback in 1986 to win it though, however controversially, still a genius at football. Not only physical skills, but genius with the game in mind.

To be fair, from my POV, Kempes performance in 1978, especially in the final against Holland, matched any of Maradona's. Menotti was fully vindicated and rewarded. Go YouTube and watch Kempes' 2 goals against Holland. Even Holland got no complain.

Atcually, the manner on how Argies won the 78 WC are under clouds of corruption from both players & the refs.
Peru, top of Group 4, needed to lose by more than 4 goals in the semis (table format) to allow Argies to progress, duly lost 6-0. Peruvian goalkeeper Ramon Quitoga was born in Argie.
If Cruyff had not "retired" from international football & played for Holland78, it wouldve turned out differently. But then, destiny said it had to be Argies.
Best player for me, is the unsung Daniel passarella.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Atcually, the manner on how Argies won the 78 WC are under clouds of corruption from both players & the refs.
Peru, top of Group 4, needed to lose by more than 4 goals in the semis (table format) to allow Argies to progress, duly lost 6-0. Peruvian goalkeeper Ramon Quitoga was born in Argie.
If Cruyff had not "retired" from international football & played for Holland78, it wouldve turned out differently. But then, destiny said it had to be Argies.

The absence of Johan Cruyff is always mentioned in Argentina 1978. So is the 6:0 victory over Peru always deemed questionable. However, as one who followed that World Cup start to finish, I see no question. Peru had already been disqualified and unmotivated. Argentina was still in, needed the goals and was deperately motivated, that's all.

Argentina 1978 also missed two of the other top players in the world at that time, Allan Simonsen and Kevin Keegan, as both Denmark and England failed to qualify. Nevertheless, Argentina did put down France, Poland and Holland fairly and convincingly, deserving of the cup.

Best player for me, is the unsung Daniel passarella.

What do you mean unsung? Daniel Passarella was captain and lifted the World Cup. Pele called him the best defender and captain alongside Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer. That's some song.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Argentina 1978 also missed two of the other top players in the world at that time, Allan Simonsen and Kevin Keegan, as both Denmark and England failed to qualify. Nevertheless, Argentina did put down France, Poland and Holland fairly and convincingly, deserving of the cup.

What do you mean unsung? Daniel Passarella was captain and lifted the World Cup. Pele called him the best defender and captain alongside Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer. That's some song.

Kempes won the golden boot. To me Passarella did the job.
You were right Peru had nothing to play for. But as some peruvian players said after the game, "the argies ran like demon possessed in the 2nd half. Its as if theyre on drugs" Thats another allegations not proven. Compulsory urine tests are not compulsory then.
The 6-0 thumping of peru all had something in common amongst all sports jounalists & papers. "Its rather suspicious"

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
ARSENAL chairman Peter Hill-Wood has revealed Barcelona have assured the club they will not bid for Cesc Fabregas this summer.
The Gunners skipper has been linked with a return to the Catalan side, where he spent several years as a youth player.

But Hill-Wood is convinced a deal is not in the pipeline as the Spanish champions are happy with their current crop of players.

He said: "There was a private conversation that took place in the boardroom and assurances have been made at the highest possible level.

"Arsenal do not expect those to be broken.

"I was not privy to the conversation, but was told about it. They said to us they are not interested this summer.

"It was a recent conversation, as recent as the time that they played us in the Champions League in fact as we got a bit upset because of all the media speculation.

"Subsequent to the conversation, if they are interested at any time in the future, they would come to us direct.

"However I'm not sure they are going to do that, because they told us they are pretty happy with what they have got and are pretty happy with their current players."

Hill-Wood also stated his belief that a move to the Nou Camp could be a bad move for Fabregas, with star duo Xavi and Andres Iniesta so pivotal to Barcelona's play in the middle of the park.

He added: "If you want my opinion, I'm not sure he would even get in their team.

"Do they need him? I'm not sure that they do and they said to us they are not interested.

"That suits us fine. Fabregas is an Arsenal player and we want him to remain an Arsenal player. We hope he stays with us for a very long time."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...Barca-made-us-Cesc-promise.html#ixzz0l6uupGAU

Just goes on to show how much confidence he has with the club's players and manager.:eek:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poor Gunners .... I was hoping they would overhaul MU to 2nd place.

We will hear the usual Wenger line : this team is young & inexperienced, in future will ..... yawn! But it is true they are badly weakened with Faregas, Arshavin, Gallas etc etc

Spurs win simply made things worse for Liverpool...luckily Villa could only draw...

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal

We will hear the usual Wenger line : this team is young & inexperienced, in future will ..... yawn! But it is true they are badly weakened with Faregas, Arshavin, Gallas etc etc

Spurs win simply made things worse for Liverpool...luckily Villa could only draw...

Why look at that reputed choker of the Premier league especially when it comes to the final third? Last season, Villa had a chance to finish 4th at the expense of Arsenal and they either drew or lost most of the games. It's no different this season.

Yep, I was also hoping for Arse to secure second place ahead of Man U so that I dun have to strain my neck looking out for a certain RED team.Hmm....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool and Aston Villa has nothing to with 4th placing or even 5th placing now. It's between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liverpool and Aston Villa has nothing to with 4th placing or even 5th placing now. It's between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur.
however sad as a poolzman, methinks like you also, but given this season's virus in the air, who knows how Spurs or City will trip up (however unlikely - but u never know) ....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
however sad as a poolzman, methinks like you also, but given this season's virus in the air, who knows how Spurs or City will trip up (however unlikely - but u never know) ....

Both City and Spurs need to lose 3 or more games (out of 5 left each) and Liverpool needs to win 4 games (out of 4 left). Possible? How likely?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both City and Spurs need to lose 3 or more games (out of 5 left each) and Liverpool needs to win 4 games (out of 4 left). Possible? How likely?
not very likely, but knn why dun you shut the fuck up (stfu) :p, let people HOPE mah ... 'until it is mathematically impossible' is the official line ....
after all, Spurs can lau sai in one past season, letting the Gunners snatched 4th on the last day of season against all odds .......:cool: