• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any Suckers Still Buying Overpriced, Crappy BOSE Speakers ???

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally I feel that the audiophile market has been going downhill all these years. Mass market brands like Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Audiolab, Cyrus, Arcam, Creek, Cambridge Audio, Roksan..........alll sound the same - like shit! All going for the 'warm' sound which essentially is boosting the mid bass and clouding everything else. Even upmarket brands like Krell and Linn are nothing to shout about if you look at their exuberant prices. The same goes with speakers. Most of these stuff are also made in China now.

Their sales are boosted only by con magazine like "What Hi Fi"

The biggest consters are the cable makers who can charge you thousands of dollars for cables that they don't even manufacture themselves. I have yet to find a branded cable that can beat my Made in Taiwan $2.50/m cable bought in Sim Lim Tower.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally I feel that the audiophile market has been going downhill all these years. Mass market brands like Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Audiolab, Cyrus, Arcam, Creek, Cambridge Audio, Roksan..........alll sound the same - like shit! All going for the 'warm' sound which essentially is boosting the mid bass and clouding everything else. Even upmarket brands like Krell and Linn are nothing to shout about if you look at their exuberant prices. The same goes with speakers. Most of these stuff are also made in China now.

The biggest consters are the cable makers who can charge you thousands of dollars for cables that they don't even manufacture themselves. I have yet to find a branded cable that can beat my Made in Taiwan $2.50/m cable bought in Sim Lim Tower.

British brands are mostly glorified junk now............very few brands of electronics and speakers are good and these brands are not well known and not cheap !

Krell and Linn nothing great at all lah...........Krell sounds mechanical and Linn can only make turntables and even then other brands long surpassed them liao...........these brands just living on past glory............

for speakers - American, German and French brands now are tops............Canadian ones are also good

for electronics - roughly the same countries also.............for tube - Japs are just brilliant............

cables give super high profit margin and almost all brands don't make their own cables but modify their geometry.............your Taiwan cable so good meh ?:biggrin:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ears Need Some Training

Any mid range speakers just as good. Unless you have the hearing of an elephant. No need to go for branded speakers. I will only buy a good system if i have a dedicated room for it, or a home cinema.

You need to train your ears to 'look' for the difference of the sound quality that comes out of the output which is the speakers. Every part of the cascading system or components can affect the so-called "high fidelity" of the sound reproduction. Learn how to look at the sound characteristic graph that often come printed on the boxes or pamphlets. You need to learn how to differentiate what is good or bad.

Obviously, you don't need to buy half a million dollars system.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Ears Need Some Training

Does not matter if you've got ears for sound quality if the music is crap. Like todays music. The sorroundings also play a big part. If you got noisy neighbors and kid also no use being a sound expert and a good system.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Ears Need Some Training

Guess nothing could make Gangnam Style sound any better

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still have my old system of Jamo 11's & Monitor Audio speakers which I rarely use.

Nowadays I am just looking at updating my PC sound system which is currently connected to an Atlantic Technologies Pattern 100. It might be old but still a good system.

The Klipsch & Corsair sound OK to me but I'm still looking. Someone suggested something like the Onkyo LS 3100 which is a Blue tooth wireless 2.1 system.

Going the bluetooth way is good, as it provides alot of convenience, if support multiple connections even better, can connect smartphone, laptop, pc wirelessly. The tradeoff is sound quality suffers as the compression and conversion occurs between sound and radio wave. But if convenience is priority, i would go the bluetooth way as well.

P.S. TS started a good thread :smile:

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good To Know

Does not matter if you've got ears for sound quality if the music is crap. Like todays music. The sorroundings also play a big part. If you got noisy neighbors and kid also no use being a sound expert and a good system.

That's why the recording method and the media that stores the music must almost be perfect. But, some old music media is actually analogue.

I forgot whether the best type is DDD or triple Ds which means all in digital. ADD for old musics only.

It's always good to know.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brit products overhyped.

The only good one in my mind is just as good as dead: Nakamichi

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
BTW where in peesai to get vinyl records? Love the sound of the 50s and 60s on vinyl. Saw a few shops in Perth selling them cheaply. Thinking of collecting them since my dad gave away hundreds of his old records in the 80s and 90s when cds came onto market. But the sound of vinyl is shiok.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BTW where in peesai to get vinyl records? Love the sound of the 50s and 60s on vinyl. Saw a few shops in Perth selling them cheaply. Thinking of collecting them since my dad gave away hundreds of his old records in the 80s and 90s when cds came onto market. But the sound of vinyl is shiok.

Can check out Gramaphone at the Cathay building.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brit products overhyped.

The only good one in my mind is just as good as dead: Nakamichi

very few British products are good lah...............good ones expensive............and they're not so well-known.............

now the Japs mostly famous for their tube amps..............they're fantastic though............transistor amps only Accuphase still highly regarded..........other brands like no longer making so hi-end liao....................

47 Labs very interesting leh................sounds very different from almost all transistor amps.............

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
tubes ..... very poser

very few British products are good lah...............good ones expensive............and they're not so well-known.............

now the Japs mostly famous for their tube amps..............they're fantastic though............transistor amps only Accuphase still highly regarded..........other brands like no longer making so hi-end liao....................

47 Labs very interesting leh................sounds very different from almost all transistor amps.............

Goldeneye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Years ago, there was a fantastic post in a audiophile forum which I can't find now unfortunately. The guy explained why Bose spends more money no lawyers suing people than on research and also insist on 'exclusive' stores where you cannot compare two speakers of different makes.

There was also a excellent MAD magazine parody on overpriced Bose speakers

I gave up on Bose after reading thru' those. This was almost 5-6 years ago

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Years ago, there was a fantastic post in a audiophile forum which I can't find now unfortunately. The guy explained why Bose spends more money no lawyers suing people than on research and also insist on 'exclusive' stores where you cannot compare two speakers of different makes.

There was also a excellent MAD magazine parody on overpriced Bose speakers

I gave up on Bose after reading thru' those. This was almost 5-6 years ago

Bose is famous for suing every thing lah...................ah neh what...............

best part was they sued very hi-end companies.................can't even use the word ''Wave'' in their products becoz of Bose Wave Radio !

Bose no need to research anymore lah................just marketing only .....................

best part is those hi-end German cars provide Bose in car audio.................what a joke !...............even B&O is crap also.................

at least Lexus provide Mark Levinson....................one car brand even provide Burmester !!!!:eek:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bose is famous for suing every thing lah...................ah neh what...............

best part was they sued very hi-end companies.................can't even use the word ''Wave'' in their products becoz of Bose Wave Radio !

Bose no need to research anymore lah................just marketing only .....................

best part is those hi-end German cars provide Bose in car audio.................what a joke !...............even B&O is crap also.................

at least Lexus provide Mark Levinson....................one car brand even provide Burmester !!!!:eek:

Yes I like my 11 speakers Mark Levinson in my car, nice.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My system :

Speakers - Canadian Energy XL 26.

Sub - Rel Storm

Amp - Accuphase E210

CD Player - Onkyo

Energy speakers are 12 years old. The rest of the stuff is22 years old.

Before the Energys, I was using the Bose 901 system which could not operate without going through a custom equaliser routed through the tape inputs.

The Energy speakers are better than the Bose 901.