• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....Hap Chai almost 30 years ago to visit relatives (paternal side). Think might make a weekend trip down to Hap Chai to try out tge Bak Kut Teh. Tia Gong Jing Hor Jiak.
Seen changes, like Index Living Mall etc. What grabs you is that most people will talk you in mandarin. In Danok, they even converse in bahasa. Understandably, it's a popular destination and accessible across the Msia border. Taxi from airport flat at thb250, and return by hotel limo thb350. Will do Grab thb240

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Motor show Bkk, forget the car hardware models (and ignore the ah neh bullshitting the 2 nice lasses in last pic)

9AB46350-8FD5-48D5-BF19-FB3BB6A08381-4022-000005586B3884F5.jpeg
1D22A73F-EBA1-48B7-9BB5-D0EF1A9E7A9A-4022-00000558BE8E930E.jpeg
FEE288B5-4190-48DE-8FC5-CCBC9B050B43-4022-00000558C6037194.jpeg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last meal in Hatyai, bak mee hang. Quite aroi, noodles qiu2 and distinctive flavour from what I’m used to elsewhere in LOS.
C88620E8-7982-49CE-AF77-7342769CCA95.jpeg

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.unz.com/ldinh/national-identity-great-thais-and-eyes-rolling
MARCH 31, 2018

Peace, then, can only be achieved when you’re strong enough to defend your borders, and if you’re no longer willing to do this, then you’re already lost, conquered, and not necessarily by an external enemy.

Take Thailand. It has fought against China, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and the Malay state of Kedah, all of its neighbors, in short. After swallowing up Laos in the 18th century, it lost it to France in the 19th, and in 1941, Thailand surrendered to juggernaut Japan after only five hours of, uh, fighting. At least it wasn’t less than 45 minutes, which was how long it took the Sultanate of Zanzibar to raise the white flag to Great Britain. To be fair, the Sultan saw no reason to continue after the Brits had shelled his palace, instantly killing 500 troops and wrecking his beloved harem.

Last week, I was in Chanthaburi, Thailand, population 28,000. In the middle of town, there’s a Robinson Mall, with a huge sign, almost entirely in English, advertising Tops Market, Super Sports, Power Buy, B2S, SFC Cinema, KFC, Swensens, Yayoi and MK Restaurants. With the exceptions of KFC and the Japanese Yayoi, however, the rest were Thai chains, and of the four movies shown, two were Thai, and two were American: Malila: the Farewell Flower, Thibaan the Series, Black Panther and Lady Bird.

Take the wai, the Thai greeting of having hands pressed together, prayer-like, and bowing slightly. Most foreigners, especially tourists passing through, feel rather ridiculous doing this, so can’t be bothered, but that’s why we’re not Thais. They are.

Sampling a few lurid streets in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai, foreigners come home with tales of live sex on stage and ladyboys, but Thailand is no more of a brothel than the Netherlands, although each Dutch city, not just Amsterdam, has its red-light district. Most Thais are conservative, rural people, and during my visit to Namtok Phlio National Park, all the female swimmers were well-covered, except one, a young blonde whose barely there bottom revealed most of her cheeks.

Since 1912, Thailand has had 21 coups d’état and 29 prime ministers, so that’s a lot of turbulence, but it has not suffered any foreign occupation, civil war or mass imposition of an alien psychosis, such as Communism. Its twin pillars have been the monarchy and a brand of Buddhism that includes the worship of Phra Phrom, a version of the four-faced Hindu god, Brahma. Inside India, there are almost no shrines to this deity, but they are all over Thailand, with the one outside Bangkok’s Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel making world news when a bomb near it exploded in 2015, killing 20 and injuring 125. No one has been charged.

Inside several Chanthaburi shops, I spotted two hanging pieces of paper, with writing, lay out in curious patterns, and a vertical alligator. These weren’t cutesy decorations, but deadly serious talismans, there to ward off evil and reel in good fortune.

Anyone who has visited a Thai restaurant anywhere is likely to have seen a framed photo of King Bhumibol. Ruling for 70 years, he died with a fortune of $30 billion, the most of any royal worldwide. In Bangkok, Chonburi, Rayong and Chanthaburi, I saw his likeness everywhere. Since it’s illegal to criticize the king in Thailand, of course you’ll only see adulation, but still, no one is coerced into displaying ten images of Bhumibol on a wall, such as I saw in a small store.

39214816180_e9ba13037c_b.jpg

My Thai beer buddy, Somchai, said that Bhumibol was deeply concerned about agriculture. He investigated different types of rice, introduced new methods of growing it and visited farmers regularly to hear their concerns. The king even invented the chaipattana aerator. A low-cost buoy with propellers that oxygenates bodies of water, it’s in use all over Thailand. Thai agriculture was revolutionized by Bhumibol, Somchai stressed. Packing and exporting longans, my friend and his wife own two cars and have two daughters in college. Thailand’s per capita income is fourth highest in Southeast Asia, behind only Singapore, Malaysia and oil-rich Brunei.

Chanthaburi’s most beautiful building is a shrine to King Taksin (1734-82). Born to a Chinese father and Thai mother, he led an army to kick out the Burmese, restored the Thai nation and declared himself king. During a 15-year reign, Taksin fed the poor, dug canals, encouraged Chinese immigration, built up seaports, fostered international trades, snuffed out rebellions, invaded Laos, then finally went mad by declaring himself an incipient Buddha. By meditating and fasting, Taksin believed he could soon fly and turn his blood white. He gave religious lectures to monks, demanded that they worshipped him and flogged those who refused. Capriciously, Taksin jailed or tortured hundreds of other innocents.

40124776975_d85f4d580f_b.jpg

Finally, a palace coup eliminated Taksin, and he was either decapitated or placed in a velvet sack and clubbed to death, since royal blood, red or white, should never touch the ground. A third version claims some poor replacement was bagged, so Taksin simply hightailed it to the Himalayas and dwelt in some stinking cave until he kicked the slop bucket at the overripe age of 80.

Around Chanthaburi, I also saw Taksin worshipped in homes and businesses, so Thai still revere this long-dead king for his many contributions to the Thai nation, just as they do with Bhumibol, for their accomplishments far outweigh their flaws.

In late 2014, an 81-year-old historian, Surak Sivarak, was charged with insulting a 16th century king, Naresuan, when he suggested that the long-cherished story of Naresuan’s victory over a Burmese king in an elephant duel is likely nonsense.

Thais don’t want anybody to chip at their heroes, in short. What a contrast this is to the USA, whose inhabitants are conditioned to doubt, sneer at or tear down all their great men, except one, Martin Luther King. The very concept has become risible.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beri sianz of the zhabor now. Nag non stop since come back.

To my friend who won a round of beer, please claim your prize. But not at Hilton lah. Can go some place have music, have nice beer, have food.......and most importantly, have zhabors!!!!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beri sianz of the zhabor now. Nag non stop since come back.... please claim your prize. But not at Hilton lah. Can go some place have music, have nice beer, have food.......and most importantly, have zhabors!!!!
My condolences. Bring him to that country live pub, local flavour (leum the name laew).

We guys need own space, mah

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.unz.com/ldinh/national-identity-great-thais-and-eyes-rolling
MARCH 31, 2018

Peace, then, can only be achieved when you’re strong enough to defend your borders, and if you’re no longer willing to do this, then you’re already lost, conquered, and not necessarily by an external enemy.

Take Thailand. It has fought against China, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and the Malay state of Kedah, all of its neighbors, in short. After swallowing up Laos in the 18th century, it lost it to France in the 19th, and in 1941, Thailand surrendered to juggernaut Japan after only five hours of, uh, fighting. At least it wasn’t less than 45 minutes, which was how long it took the Sultanate of Zanzibar to raise the white flag to Great Britain. To be fair, the Sultan saw no reason to continue after the Brits had shelled his palace, instantly killing 500 troops and wrecking his beloved harem.

Last week, I was in Chanthaburi, Thailand, population 28,000. In the middle of town, there’s a Robinson Mall, with a huge sign, almost entirely in English
Fair comment

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another long weekend this week. Public holiday this Friday. For those planning a trip to any tourist attractions, be prepare for crazy traffic. Some of my neighbours and friends also preparing to balek kampong for Songkran new year so expect traffic to get worst over the next 2 weeks.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Simple breakfast by the roadside stall - braised pork knuckles. This is only 40 baht or $1.70 special meaning has a little more meat and full braised egg. 35 baht or 1.50 will have half egg and just a little less meat.

IMG_20180402_132042.jpg

IMG_20180402_132803.jpg

IMG_20180402_132811.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beri sianz of the zhabor now. Nag non stop since come back.

To my friend who won a round of beer, please claim your prize. But not at Hilton lah. Can go some place have music, have nice beer, have food.......and most importantly, have zhabors!!!!

I descended in Pattaya last week, but you KNN went back to Sinkieland.:confused::p

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Silom is one of the busiest roads in Bangkok together with Sathorn, Asoke, Ploenchit, Ratchada etc. The Soi 4 of Silom is an interesting street full of restaurants

TJtj5UQ.jpg

teYzgUM.jpg

0UOzZUg.jpg

Tapas Cafe my dinner here
F5EKGtC.jpg

Outdoor dining Tapas Cafe
p3CrHIh.jpg

The restaurant
JqBadL4.jpg

NBg5j5f.jpg

44f1Sx0.jpg

Starter a jug of sangria
p3kE65A.jpg

qpaVBCx.jpg

Spanish cold meats
BDPdGBA.jpg

Tapas - mushroom
pTRaGDD.jpg

Prawns
I6T4i5Q.jpg

Spinach
h6ng4Hn.jpg

Meatballs
u36NZS6.jpg

Seafood paella
ByipDm1.jpg

ZBfe0UI.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do Thai ladies think of marrying foreigners who are old enough to be their Papa ? This is a topic that has been discussed to death in Thaivisa forum, but most are bar ladies marrying old Farangs who already have a family back home. The views expressed are pretty skewed.

What about the local sentiments ?