• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

珍远记 XO Fishead soup at Balestier

Townair

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fresh water fish is best cooked in curry style, my all time fav :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i like my fish fresh from the sea, clean and steam immediately. the taste is heaven!!!!

I only know how to eat. Me no expert in what are the sea fish and fresh water fish. Can you bro experts tell some species in popular fish dishes we eat from both sides, just some will do for me to get a rough idea what's what.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I only know how to eat. Me no expert in what are the sea fish and fresh water fish. Can you bro experts tell some species in popular fish dishes we eat from both sides, just some will do for me to get a rough idea what's what.

I'm not a sea water fish fan, meat a bit tougher, lesser bones, fucking hate sea bass....
Some nice sea water fishes: Soon Hock, Cod fish, Garoupa

I like fresh water fishes, meat a bit tender, muddy taste (can be detox away by putting the fishes in clean water for 2-3 days), a lot of bones.
Some nice fresh water fishes: Catfish, Patin fish, Snakefish (Toman)

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not a sea water fish fan, meat a bit tougher, lesser bones, fucking hate sea bass....
Some nice sea water fishes: Soon Hock, Cod fish, Garoupa

I like fresh water fishes, meat a bit tender, muddy taste (can be detox away by putting the fishes in clean water for 2-3 days), a lot of bones.
Some nice fresh water fishes: Catfish, Patin fish, Snakefish (Toman)
Add another nice sea water fish. Pomfret.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If in the mood the splurge then order Su Mei fish...steamed.

Whats the "unforgettable" 忘不了 fish taste like? SGD50k for 10 fishes..... pengz....

DPP_0007.jpg

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AK, hope this help.

http://choo-recipe.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-post_7335.html

Difference is the fish is steamed without the ingredients. Ingredients and sauce are cooked seperately and pour onto fish later.
Thank you P'Chon, hmm... the sweetness from sugar? I will try tonight, thanks!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think you mean Cantonese steam?
Soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, shallots, spring onion, pepper, sugar, salt, black sauce.
Best to use bamboo steamer.
I do believe shallot is the thing that brings out the sweetness of the sauce..

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Soon hock can be both a fresh water or sea water fish.Fresh water ones are found in earth drains or streams.
There used to be angLers using nets catching fresh soon hock at Joan Road, where the rows of nurseries are.
There runs an earth drain up to JaLan Mashor..

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now there are so many canton zi char shops which claim to be from Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji.

and the signature dishes are always prawn paste chicken and XO fish head bee hoon.

so which shop is the real deal??