• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does anyone know how ISD agents work?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FBI is both the Federal Police and Domestic Intelligence Agency. That means a combination of Police and ISD. CIA is has external Intelligence remit and cannot operate locally. NSA handles SIGNIT which is the interception of all signals/comms. For Singapore this is done by DSTA.

correct. it's very territorial here in the u.s. and fbi has federal jurisdiction for certain crimes that cross state boundaries, such as kidnapping, terrorism, wire fraud, inter state serial killing, bank robbery, organized crime, etc. the sg cid is more like a city police department's investigative or detective unit. some states have state level bureau of investigation units responsible for inter city and inter county criminal investigation and enforcement within the state boundary.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple of other interesting approaches for information gathering;

2) Scholarship holders are asked to "help" the country by telling about what is going on among Singaporeans studying overseas. The best joke was those who went to UK and met up and joined in Tan Wah Piow's session. I won't be surprised that in some years, nearly all were involved in sending reports back.

"national duty", " service to the country" , "good old rivalry" and money are powerful motives.

Thanks for all your inputs. Allow me to clarify with a concrete example.

Let's say someone was indeed approached by ISD/SID in the above scenario- young scholarship holder overseas being asked to "spy" on fellow scholars. Let's assume s/he did a good job doing this and returned to Singapore- surely the ties with ISD/SID will not abruptly break? But yet, for the purposes of the scholarship, s/he has to be assigned back to a "proper" work organization. In the course of 8 years, this person has floated from one Ministry to another, barely staying each for two years; even granted no pay leave for nine months at one point and then resign from civil servace and now has been "jobless" for months. Jobless yet seemingly unconcerned about money. Does this person sound like an informant/spy/agent?

Someone is getting close to me and I smell something completely fishy. I have two other friends who confided they are also recently befriended (and for one wooed) by friendly people whom they know little about. For me, it is the same, I seem to know alot about this person that I got to know recently, but yet I do not know the most basic things about him/her. What gives?

I am not trying to be paranoid but I sense something slowly but surely going amiss.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
DSTA doesnt do SIGNT. Singapore's NSA is handled by the military/MINDEF.

There is so much you don't know about and there is so much I would not reveal here or to anyone I know. If you want unbiased firsthand information, Army Recruitment Centres offer the position of Intelligence Officers vocation and they get posed around in MIO

The only catch is you will have to wear the epulattes of a Military Expert and have others unsure what to call you

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So SID is CIA equivalent (more or less).......then where do they train? Got a Langley equivalent? So are most of them trained killers recruited from the special forces?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So SID is CIA equivalent (more or less).......then where do they train? Got a Langley equivalent? So are most of them trained killers recruited from the special forces?

Mostly scholars as bro Scroobal puts out, not very wham-bam-thank-you-mame types.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mostly scholars as bro Scroobal puts out, the level of their work and analysis are sometimes atrocious to say the least but some consumers assuming these guys are grads have some standard in their work and assume just as blindly.
how to become spies like that? CIA have the non combat type of analysts but most important are the field agents that are supposed to be spy trained right?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
how to become spies like that? CIA have the non combat type of analysts but most important are the field agents that are supposed to be spy trained right?

We're not like Mossad bro or the CIA where they have tons of para-military activities, our super spies are probably top scholars who like to anal-lise stuff and not get their hands dirty.

The entire cloak-and-dagger thing is too glamourised

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all have been watching too many Mission Impossible and James Bond movies. CIA was nothing like as depicted. I've visited their HQ at Langley, Virginia. Just a bunch of civil service bureaucrats gathering intelligence to be passed to State Department and Pentagon. But yes, their operation is worldwide. And yes, you can call them spies especially for those who work abroad. But the typical CIA spy would look and behave more like Krafty or Alamaking than James Bond or Ethan Hunt. One average US city police department shoots more people than CIA worldwide.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We're not like Mossad bro or the CIA where they have tons of para-military activities, our super spies are probably top scholars who like to anal-lise stuff and not get their hands dirty.

analyze stuff from where? need to inflitrate right? if not how to gather intelligence? someone got to wire tape or bug the phone etc right? need trained personnel for these....

Last edited:

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone is getting close to me and I smell something completely fishy. I have two other friends who confided they are also recently befriended (and for one wooed) by friendly people whom they know little about. For me, it is the same, I seem to know alot about this person that I got to know recently, but yet I do not know the most basic things about him/her. What gives?

I am not trying to be paranoid but I sense something slowly but surely going amiss.

the person could be horny and hitting on you, or..... maybe even a foreign spy even if you think spies want to get to know you because of what you do etc

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Right you are.

Lets not forget that PAP and YPAP are also closely observed, fully penetrated and have their own informants and listening posts.

Nothing compared to the opposition. Whatever dirt exposed on their own, not likely to be used to embarrass them.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Quite a number of them were ex-SAF chaps. They also talent spot businessmen who have businesses overseas. Training done in-house. No trained killers involved.

It sounds 'kilat' alright but is a weak entity. From the outside, looks and sounds good. In reality, nothing to shout about. Their chaps fear their own shadows. How to achieve things of substance when their IOs were chobolans while in active service?

They could not even detect traitors within their own organisation. It is, in a nutshell, a bloody joke. But where budget is concerned, the sky is the limit.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You have succinctly summarised that entity.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
analyze stuff from where? need to inflitrate right? if not how to gather intelligence? someone got to wire tape or bug the phone etc right? need trained personnel for these....

Comes through overt and covert sources. Overt sources - magazines, govt reports etc. Covert - technical and humint sources.

In the case of the latter, not so easy coz you are based in a foreign land and don't have the control over many set-ups and assets. In your home country, you do the needful on foreign missions/personnel. But, having trianed personnel on the opposite end, you are unlikely to get anything of significance from technical sources.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for all your inputs. Allow me to clarify with a concrete example. ....

It takes two to tango and if you get invited to dance, you can lead the dance and do 2 left feet, right? You are a free man right? If you are a homo, you can express true feelings to him. And if you are into beastiality, you can tell her about that 1.3 metre german shepherd and its princely sceptre. Look, people are courting you daily, either on an individual or organizational basis. So why so worked up? The PRC govt could already have been up on you and you did not even notice.