• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat How does handphone manufacturer know who to push software updates to?

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't received software updates but my friend with the same handphone same firmware etc received it.
How does the manufacturer knows about who is using their device?

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
If manufacturer simply pushed out to the Internet, how does our handphone pick it up?
When I click on check for software updates it says is upto date but it is not up to date as my friend received the latest

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
When a company push out software updates to it's users laptop, they do in phases eg by dept or by IP address range etc
Does handphone manufacturer do the same? Means now my friend receive it and later date then I will receive?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Samsung usually slower than others

Usually Flagship model get priority, then mid tier phone models follow by the rest.

Not all models get update

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
depends on the “client” relationship with “server”. if client is outdated and out of touch with server updates, it’s left in the cold and becomes obsolete. majority of android clients are fucked up. only pixel phones have clients that are regularly alerted by google servers for updates. in ios, all iphones that have supported hardware will be pushed with updates.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
depends on the “client” relationship with “server”. if client is outdated and out of touch with server updates, it’s left in the cold and becomes obsolete. majority of android clients are fucked up. only pixel phones have clients that are regularly alerted by google servers for updates. in ios, all iphones that have supported hardware will be pushed with updates.
Sounds like need to "build" relationship de woh

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it’s like ah pek is left alone in hdb flat to die. for android, it’s a fecking mess. depends on the manufacturer, phone model, telco provider, chipset and memory compatibility too.
https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-update-policies-1658633/

Samsung's updates are timely and quite reliable. The Tiong brand ones... good luck to you.

Anyway no need to update so early, let the early adopters do the free bug testing/reporting for the rest of us. Same goes for Apple iOS.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
it’s like ah pek is left alone in hdb flat to die. for android, it’s a fecking mess. depends on the manufacturer, phone model, telco provider, chipset and memory compatibility too.
https://www.androidauthority.com/phone-update-policies-1658633/
Good document explaining the concept of upgrades and patches.
But my problem is very specific that my friend with exactly the same config and same country as me received his updates while I didn't, even when I click on check for updates :cool:
The only difference is that his storage is 512gb whereas mine is 256gb.
Don't tell me manufacturer think I have not enough space :cool:

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good document explaining the concept of upgrades and patches.
But my problem is very specific that my friend with exactly the same config and same country as me received his updates while I didn't, even when I click on check for updates :cool:
The only difference is that his storage is 512gb whereas mine is 256gb.
Don't tell me manufacturer think I have not enough space :cool:
not enough ram memory. different from storage.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
not enough memory.
Same same memory le.
I believe when we click the check for updates, it will send a probe to the nearest server for a handshake. Then the server will make a checking of my device and return with a message of upto date.
Maybe the problem is that my probes always route to a ah neh server whereas his went to amdk server?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Same same memory le.
I believe when we click the check for updates, it will send a probe to the nearest server for a handshake. Then the server will make a checking of my device and return with a message of upto date.
Maybe the problem is that my probes always route to a ah neh server whereas his went to amdk server?
16gigabytes of ram memory? iphone ios already uses 16.9gb of total memory.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
16gigabytes of ram memory? iphone ios already uses 16.9gb of total memory.
12gb of ram.
But this phone allows a extension of upto 12gb of virtual memory (12+12) if enough storage space.
Having 12gb of physical memory still not enough then jialat liao. Many phones only has 8gb ram on average.
I even terminated many apps to make sure I have at least near 7gb free of memory before performing the checking for updates and even rebooted but it still doesn't work.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
12gb of ram.
But this phone allows a extension of upto 12gb of virtual memory (12+12) if enough storage space.
Having 12gb of physical memory still not enough then jialat liao. Many phones only has 8gb ram on average.
I even terminated many apps to make sure I have at least near 7gb free of memory before performing the checking for updates and even rebooted but it still doesn't work.
android phone 8gb ram and 128gb storage should be ok for latest update. sumting wong with your provider? may be provider has not supported it yet. they need to test mah.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
android phone 8gb ram and 128gb storage should be ok for latest update. sumting wong with your provider? may be provider has not supported it yet. they need to test mah.
But my friend received the updates else I wouldn't know there is a new update mah
Maybe is due to
1. The updates is only for those 512gb users (unlikely)
2. My checking of updates somehow always goto a lousy server
. Sian lah