• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wine Bottles

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you say Martini, it can mean two things. The Martini & Rossi bottled vermouth or the Martini cocktail with vermouth and gin. The one referred to in James Bond movies is the Martini cocktail, shaken not stirred, could be mixed any brand of vermouth and gin. Vermouth is a fortified wine and gin is a hard liquor.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually whats Martini? Is it considered wine or liquor? Also whats Irish coffee?

Martini is vermouth and considered wine. Mixed martini is cocktail. Irish coffee is very simple. You just make 90% of a cup of normal black coffee, fill it up with 10% whisky. I wouldn't recommend creamed or milked coffee. It may taste strange. Black coffee with sugar is the best for my Irish coffee mix.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
any vintner that uses oak chips is actually shortcutting the process....you can call it cheating. but as usual, aussie wine is wannabe wine and doesn't even come close to the best from napa. no wonder they are selling for usd5 a bottle. most vintners "cheat" today by using oak chips, to make a profit and sell more wine at lower prices...which are essential for business survival these days. consumers in asia are clueless, and the market there is growing. ultimately it will catch up with them when consumers evolve and become more discerning and picky.

Doubtful this will happen in asia. Wine afficionados are rare in Asia. Most asians drink wine because its a prestige thing. They don't really like it or appreciate it. Same with cognac. They gargle it like soft drinks. Fucking pathetic. How u can tell is went you go to their homes, the real afficionados have a wine cooler so the wine is temperature controlled. Otherwise, impossible to keep it in good shape with this humidity.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Doubtful this will happen in asia. Wine afficionados are rare in Asia. Most asians drink wine because its a prestige thing. They don't really like it or appreciate it. Same with cognac. They gargle it like soft drinks. Fucking pathetic. How u can tell is went you go to their homes, the real afficionados have a wine cooler so the wine is temperature controlled. Otherwise, impossible to keep it in good shape with this humidity.

and in china, wannabes mix expensive vintage reds with coke so they can enjoy the sweetened bubbly wine-soda. it's an abomination and a disgrace.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

basically Singapore weather will make vinegar out of our Lafite if not stored properly.

a famous doctor & afficionados had his swimming pool converted to a wine cellar just for his wines. That's what i call ultimate. But of cse he has the $$ to do so....

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Martini is vermouth and considered wine. Mixed martini is cocktail. Irish coffee is very simple. You just make 90% of a cup of normal black coffee, fill it up with 10% whisky. I wouldn't recommend creamed or milked coffee. It may taste strange. Black coffee with sugar is the best for my Irish coffee mix.

Whiskey can also be added to coffee? You and Irish must be raging alcoholic LOL

Anyway I revive this thread for one thing. Not only the stupid cork but also the stupid wrapper. Why make wine bottle so hard to open KNN

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anyway I revive this thread for one thing. Not only the stupid cork but also the stupid wrapper. Why make wine bottle so hard to open KNN

with the right tool and ample practice, it becomes easy.

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
with the right tool and ample practice, it becomes easy.

I like red wine but am no wine expert. I don't even know any wine brand. Only once in a while in pubs or western restuarants order with house pour by the glass. I'm sometimes tempted to buy a bottle at supermarket for home dinner but both me and my sister have no idea how to open the bottle.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like red wine but am no wine expert. I don't even know any wine brand. Only once in a while in pubs or western restuarants order with house pour by the glass. I'm sometimes tempted to buy a bottle at supermarket for home dinner but both me and my sister have no idea how to open the bottle.

you need a screw, i mean a corkscrew. it has to be designed specially to open wine bottles, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't use the the big opener that look like an oversized eggbeater. Use the sommelier style pocket opener. Keep it in your pocket first, never leave it on the table for fetch it from the kitchen. Nonchalantly draw it out of your pocket and start opening the bottle in natural motion before your lady who should be seated and watching. Then of course, pour into her glass first :wink:
that's when Ram comes in very handy :wink:

( this meant for Irene #88 )

Last edited:

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
you need a screw, i mean a corkscrew. it has to be designed specially to open wine bottles, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Hahaha...for a moment at the opening line, I thought it's a vulgar attack. Thanks for the advice. I've seen supermarkets selling some corkscrews but still no confidence in how to use it. Nevermind, I only need one or two glasses now and then. Pubs and restaurants with house pours will do. Points for your humour and advice.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahaha...for a moment at the opening line, I thought it's a vulgar attack. Thanks for the advice. I've seen supermarkets selling some corkscrews but still no confidence in how to use it. Nevermind, I only need one or two glasses now and then. Pubs and restaurants with house pours will do. Points for your humour and advice.

buy those wine with stelvin - screwcaps. many wine labels are now in screwcaps...good quality as well.

why waste $$ at pubs to have wine by the glass?

if you really want to open wine bottles with corks, get those fanciful wine openers - some electric, just remove the foil on the wine bottle & plonk the wine opener on top and it will do the rest - 80% of the time.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the wrapper is for deco, branding & preventing the cork from external damage / frost / moisture etc.

the foil not difficult to remove, just use a knife or cutter that comes with the wine opener. If you treasure your manicure, don't use your fingers.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IreneYeoh said:
He works as waiter? I've seen it done in restaurants before, quite stylish smooth and makes it look like so easy.

That is a good one. Ram as a waiter. No. But he is very good at opening wine and champagne bottles.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the way that the foil and cork are designed, how to cut it and screw it, it looks masculine. Whereas, it looks unfeminine for a woman to do it even if she can do it well. That's what I always do too when having a bottle of wine with my wife. In restaurants, you'll always see waiters doing it; I've never seen waitresses doing it.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
In restaurants, you'll always see waiters doing it; I've never seen waitresses doing it.

SuperStock_1779R-24212.jpg

Kia0042

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He works as waiter? I've seen it done in restaurants before, quite stylish smooth and makes it look like so easy.

It's not that difficult actually. I open a bottle fortnightly (not everyday like the waiter) and I am skillful already .
Supermarkets collect "everyday" wines, they are worthless to taste, just treat them like fruit juice with your casual meal.
If you have the interest to enter the world of wines, at least get your first bottle from the wine shop.
I am obviously not an expert, neither am I a newbie, yet I still have lots to learn. I wish to acheive my wine collection that range 1k and above in my wine cabinet. The best wine that I have tasted is 2001 Chateau Margaux and my daily wine is Chateau Giscours 1990~2005.
Simple but always been forgotten - Let your wine breathe before your drink. (20-30min) or (30-1hour).