• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wine Bottles

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cork superiority over cap is just a folklore tradition to keep the cork industry alive. There's no difference. The purpose is to seal the bottle of wine, that's all. A mediocre wine is a mediocre wine. A good wine is a good wine. The empty area between the bottleneck and the bottlemouth is less than 95% of the volume of wine contained in the bottle. The cap or cork base covers less than 99%. If a so-called good wine can be degraded or improved by that difference, then I worry.

That said, I don't mind cork, whether oak or synthetic. Screwing it up is of course more troublesome than just twisting open a cap but not that difficult. In fact, I'd love to keep that tradition. It's a good way to impress and romance a lady. Don't use the the big opener that look like an oversized eggbeater. Use the sommelier style pocket opener. Keep it in your pocket first, never leave it on the table for fetch it from the kitchen. Nonchalantly draw it out of your pocket and start opening the bottle in natural motion before your lady who should be seated and watching. Then of course, pour into her glass first :wink:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cork superiority over cap is just a folklore tradition to keep the cork industry alive. There's no difference. The purpose is to seal the bottle of wine, that's all. A mediocre wine is a mediocre wine. A good wine is a good wine. The empty area between the bottleneck and the bottlemouth is less than 95% of the volume of wine contained in the bottle. The cap or cork base covers less than 99%. If a so-called good wine can be degraded or improved by that difference, then I worry.

That said, I don't mind cork, whether oak or synthetic. Screwing it up is of course more troublesome than just twisting open a cap but not that difficult. In fact, I'd love to keep that tradition. It's a good way to impress and romance a lady. Don't use the the big opener that look like an oversized eggbeater. Use the sommelier style pocket opener. Keep it in your pocket first, never leave it on the table for fetch it from the kitchen. Nonchalantly draw it out of your pocket and start opening the bottle in natural motion before your lady who should be seated and watching. Then of course, pour into her glass first :wink:

pour into her glass first ? Unless u r very sure ur wine is superb, otherwise in a restaurant they always pour a small portion for the guy to sniff & swirl...

of cse u dun do that at home...but if it is impression that you r trying to create, ensure your wine is good - else if have cork taint, u will fall flat on ur face.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pour into her glass first ? Unless u r very sure ur wine is superb, otherwise in a restaurant they always pour a small portion for the guy to sniff & swirl...

of cse u dun do that at home...but if it is impression that you r trying to create, ensure your wine is good - else if have cork taint, u will fall flat on ur face.

Of course I'm talking about dining and wining the lady at home (mine or hers). Otherwise, why would I be opening the bottle myself in the first place?

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no...i refer only to the part regarding "charming" the girl...not ur other posts lah...

I didn't use the word "charming" but I get what you mean. Still the same word, I'm just sharing experience. Take it or leave it is up to the readers. There've been both ups and downs in my life, just like everyone else. I recall that I've shared some past experience about landing into trouble and scrambling for my life.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

......... :wink:

not folklore, but business survival. if you come to visit boutique wineries here in livermore, you'll understand why cork is important for these small wineries that cannot afford huge storage facilities for barrel aging. reztlaff for example bottle their wine straight from fermentation tanks, and they age their wines in bottles rather than barrels. other boutique wineries in livermore, sonoma and napa are doing the same thing. what allows oak infused aging to take place in the absence of barrels? wood chips and oak corks. they don't always use oak chips. they use other wood flavors too. but corks are always from oak particles. at first like you i am skeptical about the effects of such a small area of cork and its ability to contribute to the aging and flavor process in the bottle. but after the winemaker explained to me why they don't use barrels but rely on cork in the bottle, i'm swayed. in a tight skinny bottle, that little space where cork and air and wine interact makes all the difference. in storage, you don't see anything happening when they are static, but a lot of slow aging is happening in the wine itself...and the tiny air space provides the only relief for interaction with whatever oxygen is left. naturally the oak in the cork is super infused with the wine in such a tight environment. it's like you with a tiny piece of cheese in a coffin. over time you will smell and breathe like cheese as that tiny shit will overpower and dominate everything in the coffin. by the way, the reztlaff winemaker is a french hired hand.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing I've always wondered about is champagne cork. It has a bigger head on top of the bottle so that no corkscrew is required to uncork it. Why isn't that used for wine bottling?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing I've always wondered about is c

champagne cork. It has a bigger head on top of the bottle so that no corkscrew is required to uncork it. Why isn't that used for wine bottling?

here's an explanation:

the difference bet sparkling (or champagne if made in region Champagne, France) & still wine is the presence of carbon dioxide which gives the bubbly. Hence you notice the bottle for champagne is thicker & heavier to withstand the "pressure"

Champagne corks

Corking a Champagne Bottle: 1855 engraving of the manual method​

Champagne corks are built from several sections and are referred to as aglomerated corks. The mushroom shape that occurs in the transition is a result of the bottom section, which is in contact with the wine, being composed of two stacked discs of pristine cork, cemented to the upper portion which is a conglomerate of ground cork and glue. Prior to insertion, a sparkling wine cork is almost 50% larger than the opening of the bottle. Originally they start as a cylinder and are compressed prior to insertion into the bottle. Over time their compressed shape becomes more permanent and the distinctive "mushroom" shape becomes more apparent.
The aging of the Champagne post disgorgement can to some degree be told by the cork, as the longer it has been in the bottle the less it returns to its original cylinder shape.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was a kid, soy sauce bottles were corked. The corks just went in half way. Why wine corks go in all the way?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I was a kid, soy sauce bottles were corked. The corks just went in half way. Why wine corks go in all the way?

are you referring to those home-made soya sauce?

I could think of several reasons:

a) it is actually more convenient to have half-corked bottles - because it allows for easy opening, without need for opener. But the process of using wine opener to uncork adds to the entire sequence of enjoying the wine.

b) its not really air-tight to have half-corked status - esp if the wine is still ageing. and it is prone to damage during transportation.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats how the ah tiongs are doing to the wine - mixing it with 7-up / coke and drinking it literally like soft drinks.

I don't even mix my whisky with 7-Up or Coke as I've seen many Singaporeans do. Having it on the rocks is alright but sometimes I'm horrified that some people actually add water as if diluting a syrup cordial. The only mix I do is sometimes when I drink coffee at home at night, I use whisky to make Irish coffee. My wife who's technically a non-drinker always keep a bottle of Martini at home. She uses it as a mix to fruit juice after dinner. She also uses a dash of it on soup to spice it and it's nice. :smile: