• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wine Bottles

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oxygen is inadvertently added into the wine during the winemaking process not purposely introduced.
For vintage wines, they are rested for 5 - 6 years after en premier (eg: Bordeaux).

who say they are purposely introduced? yes, it is inevitable as there is no way to remove oxygen unless you use vacuuming techniques. even in a vacuum, there is inherently oxygen in the grapes and water during aging process in barrels. it is this inevitability in the bottling process that gives us bottled wine, and together with the cork to seal it (with the little amount of oxygen) it becomes more drinkable than barreled wine. there is no doubt that bottle and cork helped make better wines for us today. without these two, wine would just taste like what monks had been drinking for centuries in monasteries....out of the barrel and tasted like cheap wine.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this moron first says oxygen cannot mix with wine, will turn it into vinegar. cunt even tell difference between oxygenation and oxidation. now turns around and says oxygen is inevitably mixed with wine when more facts are presented. so according to his logic all bottled wine should be vinegar since oxygen is inevitably introduced. now turns around again to say new bottling process eliminates oxygen. wine contains oxygen no matter how the cat is skinned. very soon, he'll say wine is devoid of oxygen. and begin to throw more bs into this debate when new facts are presented. just wait and see.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who say they are purposely introduced? yes, it is inevitable as there is no way to remove oxygen unless you use vacuuming techniques. even in a vacuum, there is inherently oxygen in the grapes and water during aging process in barrels. it is this inevitability in the bottling process that gives us bottled wine, and together with the cork to seal it (with the little amount of oxygen) it becomes more drinkable than barreled wine. there is no doubt that bottle and cork helped make better wines for us today. without these two, wine would just taste like what monks had been drinking for centuries in monasteries....out of the barrel and tasted like cheap wine.

there is no scientific proof that corks add to the flavor of the wines although psychologically, asethetically, it does. The google link is an excerpt from Steven Spurrier's book - he is a renowned wine expert (not exactly same fame as robert parker) but close enough.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1857

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=6cGN2zrqydgC&pg=PA155&lpg=PA155&dq=steven+spurrier+cork&source=bl&ots=A7wBwS81-5&sig=R3eslQCtz_rKRc3Bxt1TZiPEwwo&hl=zh-TW&ei=GPqcTr2wJcafiQeqodDVCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=steven spurrier cork&f=false

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what is your problem with corks? don't tell me you're in the screw top business? i'll be falling off my chair and laughing my ass off if true.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I seldom drink wine. Donch know much about it too. But I notice wine bottles are usually corked. That makes it troublesome to open with screw opener. Screw capped bottle was invented long ago. Even hard liquors use screw capped bottles. Why must wine be corked?

If u seldom drink wine, than its hard for u to open. People who regularly drink it can uncork a wine bottle very easily. In mins. only.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Donch know much about California or French wine. Never bought wine before.

Reason I asked is cause last evening I visited a friend's house. He opened a bottle of wine for dinner. Could see him struggling with the corkscrew. In the end the cork came out. But as I drink it could feel cork flake in my tougue. Had to go toilet to spit it out LOL

What do you mean cork flake? I have never heard of that. Is that sperm that u spit out?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what is your problem with corks? don't tell me you're in the screw top business? i'll be falling off my chair and laughing my ass off if true.

no...i have nothing to do with wine except to drink them.

i have no problems with cork unless they taint my wine.

i am just trying to right the perception that corks improve the taste of the wine besides psychologically / aesthetically doing so.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You are not completely right if I may contribute to here a little. Cork is cork, oak is oak. In the past cork is use to, cork everything as there is no bottle caps rubber stopper etc. So cork has been used traditionally. Oak flavour is induced from oat barrels or in a more modern way oak chips has been used in the case of lots of Aussie wine producers and many new world wine producers. Main cork producing countries are Portugal and Spain. Napa valley produces many great wines and my favourite will be the Matriarch (Bond Estate) which I keep for special occasions. The 04, 05 and 06 bottles are very good.

Me too, I was at Napa last year, had lunch at the CIA. My fav would be Francis Ford Coppola's Opus. any year. Otherwise, Robert Mondavi proprieter's reserve (any year) is good too. Oak chips, fucking Aussie cheaters, no wonder they can sell their rotgut for so cheap.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no...i have nothing to do with wine except to drink them.

i have no problems with cork unless they taint my wine.

i am just trying to right the perception that corks improve the taste of the wine besides psychologically / aesthetically doing so.

it's not just the corking, it's the entire bottling process with the inevitability of bottle shock that turns wine better for modern consumption. in older times, they stuffed cloth into opening of jars to seal the wine. the oak cork and bottle changed everything about wine making, storage and appreciation. those two are two of the most important inventions for the wine industry. all good reserved wines today are bottled and corked with oak corks. sorry no synthetics, no plastics, no screw tops for me. only cheap wines come with screw tops. they serve them by half bottles with screw tops in the company luncheon cafeteria in italy. italians call them "cheaper than bottled water".

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me too, I was at Napa last year, had lunch at the CIA. My fav would be Francis Ford Coppola's Opus. any year. Otherwise, Robert Mondavi proprieter's reserve (any year) is good too. Oak chips, fucking Aussie cheaters, no wonder they can sell their rotgut for so cheap.

any vintner that uses oak chips is actually shortcutting the process....you can call it cheating. but as usual, aussie wine is wannabe wine and doesn't even come close to the best from napa. no wonder they are selling for usd5 a bottle. most vintners "cheat" today by using oak chips, to make a profit and sell more wine at lower prices...which are essential for business survival these days. consumers in asia are clueless, and the market there is growing. ultimately it will catch up with them when consumers evolve and become more discerning and picky.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How hard will it be to open the cork?
Just twist few turn and press to open.

you need a corkscrew to use the screwing motion to draw the cork out while applying leverage at the bottle lip with the stiff side(s) of the corkscrew handle. sounds like fucking to me.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

image001.jpg

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's not just the corking, it's the entire bottling process with the inevitability of bottle shock that turns wine better for modern consumption. in older times, they stuffed cloth into opening of jars to seal the wine. the oak cork and bottle changed everything about wine making, storage and appreciation. those two are two of the most important inventions for the wine industry. all good reserved wines today are bottled and corked with oak corks. sorry no synthetics, no plastics, no screw tops for me. only cheap wines come with screw tops. they serve them by half bottles with screw tops in the company luncheon cafeteria in italy. italians call them "cheaper than bottled water".

its the perception - corked wines are more "atas".

there are very good wines (new world) that r in Stelvin.