• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What was it that lead Sam parachuting tail in as a moderator?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Moderation in this forum isn't about controlling the direction taken and censoring opinions expressed. It's simply a housekeeping role which can be a pretty mundane activity.

This involves merging and moving threads, deleting posts made by spam bots, removing duplicate posts and clearing the moderation queue as quickly as possible. Occasionally a trouble maker is spotted trying to disrupt threads. The super mod takes care of those with a 24 hour ban and that's it. He's been around for a long time and nobody even notices him anymore.

Everything a mod does is logged and every action is reversible by me. If Peppertail oversteps the mark, I can easily fix it. In the first 48 hours on the job, he has only executed 39 actions and all have been housekeeping activities. He was a bit overzealous in moving stuff to the trivia folder but that has been fixed. So far, he has done a pretty good job.

The notion that he's some sort of SS officer who is here to torture and silence those he disagrees with is ludicrous. There is no way in the world that can happen as long as this forum is owned by me.

You guys should be thankful that there is someone who actually volunteered to help out. The end result should be a tidier forum and less waiting time for those who have just signed up.

PS: I have a script running which detects clone activity so please do not use clones to manipulate rep points. You may end up having all your clones in moderation.:wink:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where's the common sense? Please elaborate.

you're unknown to us. We don't know who the fuck you are. It takes time to establish your identity just like it is in real life. That's why ppl tend to promote someone that is working in a company for some time to manager level for example rather than a total newbie.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Moderation in this forum isn't about controlling the direction taken and censoring opinions expressed. It's simply a housekeeping role which can be a pretty mundane activity.

This involves merging and moving threads, deleting posts made by spam bots, removing duplicate posts and clearing the moderation queue as quickly as possible. Occasionally a trouble maker is spotted trying to disrupt threads. The super mod takes care of those with a 24 hour ban and that's it. He's been around for a long time and nobody even notices him anymore.

Everything a mod does is logged and every action is reversible by me. If Peppertail oversteps the mark, I can easily fix it. In the first 48 hours on the job, he has only executed 39 actions and all have been housekeeping activities. He was a bit overzealous in moving stuff to the trivia folder but that has been fixed. So far, he has done a pretty good job.

The notion that he's some sort of SS officer who is here to torture and silence those he disagrees with is ludicrous. There is no way in the world that can happen as long as this forum is owned by me.

You guys should be thankful that there is someone who actually volunteered to help out. The end result should be a tidier forum and less waiting time for those who have just signed up.

PS: I have a script running which detects clone activity so please do not use clones to manipulate rep points. You may end up having all your clones in moderation.
wink.gif

you could have announced you were looking for open positions for mod and probably had some form of democracy going to elect the mod. i'm sure some old timer or someone with a longer amount of time spent in the forum would have volunteered.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
you could have announced you were looking for open positions for mod and probably had some form of democracy going to elect the mod. i'm sure some old timer or someone with a longer amount of time spent in the forum would have volunteered.

What about my hosting company and my server administrator and the technical support team which are far more important than any moderator. Do I put those posts up for election too?:rolleyes:

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, have a poll on it right? Everybody is unknown here, minus a handful who know each other in real life.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about my hosting company and my server administrator and the technical support team which are far more important than any moderator. Do I put those posts up for election too?:rolleyes:

oh comeon the point is you could have announced you were looking for a mod and ppl would have gladly volunteered. What you are trying to do is somehow justify your decision in making this unknown person a mod by claiming oh everyone should be glad he volunteered. Many ppl would have gladly volunteered for it. Bringing in your admin and tech staff doesn't do anything at all cos they aren't a part of the forum community.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
no shit sherlock what i am referring to is the forum moniker. As far as everyone is concerned you are totally unknown here.

What is it that you need to know? I have provided lots and lots of information about myself here, be it direct personal stuff or through opinions.

I can't help it if people choose not to believe it.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is it that you need to know? I have provided lots and lots of personal information about myself here, be it personal stuff or opinions.

I can't help it if people choose not to believe me.

Wonder if you're just playing dumb. Like i mentioned earlier i think nobody would have any issue if you were a forummer here for a longer period of time that's why nobody complained when joe was made mod. That's all. I said my piece but somehow you had to try to retort it with some form of juvenile form of ignorance.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder if you're just playing dumb. Like i mentioned earlier i think nobody would have any issue if you were a forummer here for a longer period of time that's why nobody complained when joe was made mod. That's all. I said my piece but somehow you had to try to retort it with some form of juvenile form of ignorance.

I didn't know there is a seniority based hierarchy on this forum. Excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn't know there is a seniority based hierarchy on this forum. Excuse my ignorance.

you'll find it actually occurs in all aspects of life in every community, in every organization.

I would like to see someone you hardly even know come in the next day and somehow say becomes your manager and you don't even know who he is and then see if you'll even question it and ps your being the mod here has nothing to do with this example i have given.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Live and let live lah...Peppercrap is fair in my view. I have not seen him to exercise any bias.

How about these?

That has nothing to do with the TS question. Don't derail the thread.

At least make the poll public so i can punish those voting 'No' accordingly.

Sadly, in this forum if you speak up against an opposition supporter you automatically become a PAP supporter. That is the very disease this place is suffering from.

Don't push me into that corner. It is not my place.

Are opposition supporters a disease?

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
you'll find it actually occurs in all aspects of life in every community, in every organization.

I would like to see someone you hardly even know come in the next day and somehow say becomes your manager and you don't even know who he is and then see if you'll even question it and ps your being the mod here has nothing to do with this example i have given.

I am not becoming your manager, you are xenophobic.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
oh comeon the point is you could have announced you were looking for a mod and ppl would have gladly volunteered. What you are trying to do is somehow justify your decision in making this unknown person a mod by claiming oh everyone should be glad he volunteered. Many ppl would have gladly volunteered for it. Bringing in your admin and tech staff doesn't do anything at all cos they aren't a part of the forum community.

Everybody here is unknown to me so it's an even playing field.

Besides a "mod" here is like the cleaning lady who clears up the mess the office staff make. I'm not appointing a CEO or VP.. just a housekeeper.