• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tropicana on Scotts Road

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't remember Mayflower had a stage?......................................................

Talking about Anita Sarawak anyone remember the black bikini 2 page centrespread she did in one of the papers back in the late 70s i think, it was a very skimpy black bikini & she was sprawled out & i think it had pointers like 1. hair by xxx, 2. make up by xxx 3. nails... etc.. i was like WOW, since when did we have a minah can spread out like that on newspaper!! machiam buka everything can see one.. she was HOT, & not to forget Heather Marican, she was super HOT, see her toned body & those super short 70's running shorts, buay tahan man! knew her daughter Natasha but no fight, her mother was a real Chiobu Milf!

If I remember right, the stage was a small makeshift one, same level as the floor. Oh yes, Anita was super - even by today's standards. And she was home-grown.

As for the Tim-sum sauce, it was there that I learnt that mustard "cuts" the fat on meat and goes well with greasy foods like siew-mai. Till today, I still spread mustard on fatty cuts of meat.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
..................... I remember Orchard rd moto races, can just stand at the traffic lights & watch them go, the noise was very loud, always got a few yayapapaya do wheelie behind the racers & i once saw 1 moto buang, crash into another bike, everybody ran, the bikers would hangout at the bowling alley carpark behind Mandarin hotel................... those were great days.

It was the Orchard Road race that got me into bikes. I remember one DOHC 4-cylinder Kawasaki (which my friend claims was a Japan spec 750 Z-2, but I say was a 900 Z-1) was zapping the circuit and ran rings around a police VW bug. The rider really captivated the crowd and I think after that, the cops upgraded their hardware to the Yamaha XS1100. Prior to this, they were wanking around with the Norton Commando - a hot machine until the Japanese multi-cylinders came to our streets. By the time I got to ride, the fucking authorities BANNED full-face helmets -NO FUCKING CONSIDERATION for rider protection. I will always hate them for this.

Cheers!

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
..was zapping the circuit and ran rings around a police VW bug.

wah lan eh, police VW bugs.. that one really old, SPF upgraded their mata chias to Mitsubishi LanJiao after that. Always remember some kids shouting LanJiao Chia lai liao when they saw them:biggrin:

By the time I got to ride, the fucking authorities BANNED full-face helmets -NO FUCKING CONSIDERATION for rider protection. I will always hate them for this.

that one becos too many full faced helmut bank robberies lah, not your fault ahahahaa.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I noticed that too during those days, it was quite common for CLERKS after working for donkey years, especially for the "Taipans" like Guthrie, Boustead, Coulet ( the sardine) etc, could drive a Triumph Spitfire, live in "ang sar li" or " jalan kayu" or Sembawang Hills or Yio Chu Kang near to "seow keng" in terrace houses. Nowadays a clerk..can get you?

Those days, as long as one had a steady job, one could have a comfortable life. Many teachers in my school owned landed properties in Opera Estate and Frankel. These days, even a high-level manager in a large company will not even entertain that thought! A clerk today can't even date a girl out! Inflasi? Or Gahmen policies?

Cheer!

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes but no busy days trolleys no chance to move....kiasu sinkies surround trolleys to grab....machiam hungry refugees

trolleys are for nostelgia lah, always prefer if timsum came straight from kitchen to your table, its fresher! by the time the trolley arrives if it's not being jumped on & raped by the kiasu sinkies, it's all sitting too long in the trolley, not nice anymore.

if you're a regular timsum'er you'll know which way the trolley goes & boss will always sit you in good table so you can catch the trolley as it comes out, those blur sotong will sit one corner table, eat nothing one!

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dollah Kasim!!! i was stupid enough to think it was spelt dollar kasim as brian richmond use to do the match commentary.. the original Kallang Roar!! sipay song those days:wink:

Thinking back, I actually loved the fired fishball with chilli they sold at the stadium stands. Yes, Sg was the ideal place to grow up then. If you don't stare at folks when you go out, there would be no trouble and one can safely enjoy all that life has to offer in Peesai then, different folks got together well without caring for what race, religion, or social class one came from.

Cheers!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There're two places no one seems to recall:
  • In Singapore - the Kashbar at the Mandarin - I recall they too had a topless revue that performed from time to time
  • In JB - Queen Bee which was in TAR Complex - downmarket version of Mechinta where I saw my first tiger show.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking back, I actually loved the fired fishball with chilli they sold at the stadium stands. Yes, Sg was the ideal place to grow up then. If you don't stare at folks when you go out, there would be no trouble and one can safely enjoy all that life has to offer in Peesai then, different folks got together well without caring for what race, religion, or social class one came from.Cheers!

yes my aunty's malay neighbours would come over & celebrate Chinese new year with us, of course back than everyone practiced.. see no evil, hear no evil & speak no evil, they said our bak kwa was very tasty! :biggrin: and when they celebrated hari raya, we always cheong their homemade serunding, melt in your mouth!! staring no problem, everybody looked after each other, malay, chinese, indian, eurasian all brothers & sisters, really kampung atmosphere, my favourite was when my aunty had to work so i stayed with her malay neighbours after skola & had the best malay food ever, keropok & keuh keuh for afternoon tea. Later when i went back to stay with my own family, i really missed staying with my aunty in her kampung.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
............................................that one becos too many full faced helmut bank robberies lah, not your fault ahahahaa.

I do not remember any bank robberies in Peesai where the bad guys used full-faced helmets. That idea came from one episode of the old Hawaii 5-O I think. The authorities in Sg just hated bikers. Some time after that, they came up with a law that required ALL motorcycles above 200c.c. to install "crash bars" on them! Imagine, a trail (offroad) bike of 250cc donning these? They look like kuku dumbshits! The entire motorcycle industry world wide called these protective bars "engine guards" Only the bloody Straits Times called them crash bars! Couple of my friends riding trail bikes quit after that, they couldn't handle riding around sporty-slim trailbikes fitted with those unsightly "crash bars." I sent in a photo to the papers of a Suzuki GT750 with its engine guards caught by a car's bumpers and dragged the bike along - but it was never published. When I was in the U.S., I told some motocyle enthusiast friends about the full face helmet ban in Singapore - and they didn't believe what I told them - they said it was absurd. The authorities then just did not want the image of motorcyclist to be cool, that's the way I see it. Fuck them.

Cheers!

tua lam pah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I grew up in the 70s, spent my teenage days in the 80s, started work in the 90s and is now at the peak of my career post miilenium. My only regret is not being born 10 years earlier. Then I would have spent my childhood days in the 60s, teenage days in the 70s and start working in the 80s. But at least I got a taste of my life was like in the 70s.

i was born one decade before you, may i tell u guys, the 60s n 70s were probably spore's best years, simple and peaceful and innocent... bruce lee, kallang roar, etc etc

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
There're two places no one seems to recall:
  • In Singapore - the Kashbar at the Mandarin - I recall they too had a topless revue that performed from time to time
  • In JB - Queen Bee which was in TAR Complex - downmarket version of Mechinta where I saw my first tiger show.

oh yes now that you've reminded me, the Kashbar @ Mandarin but that one like you say is only from time to time, it was a very very Atas joint to go & we never made it there in the end, one guy who used to work in Mandarin first told got topless dancers & i didn't believe him until i read or saw the poster? so long ago, can't remember :biggrin:

talking about Tigerrr Shows, anyone see the shows at Desker & Jln Sultan back alleys? the OTK would discreetly announce & collect money first than faster open window & show until someone shouted Mata lai liao than show ended. it was hilarious but i did see my first pingpong & cigarette puffing show there, up until then i thought it was a myth until i saw with my own 2 eyes :eek: