• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tropicana on Scotts Road

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow the 70s that was eons ago and i was not even born yet!

You miss the fun.... but the old man remind you that, back then, SINgapore was barren & Tropicana was an Oasis! Talking about Oasis, anyone remember OASIS!!??:biggrin:

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You miss the fun.... but the old man remind you that, back then, SINgapore was barren & Tropicana was an Oasis! Talking about Oasis, anyone remember OASIS!!??:biggrin:
Hai Kia Lau taiwan porridge? or KTVs there? btw porridge is in toa payoh now.......remembered Marmota disco

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow the 70s that was eons ago and i was not even born yet!

70s was a great decade for us. Things were affordable, Sg was undergoing tremendous economic growth and there was an upbeat mood all around. Ordchard Road motorcyle races, discos, hot minahs. Girls wore miniskirts and hotpants. People were still quite simple then - school mates would hold``function`in their homes - unlike now where parties are held at hotel ballroms costing a bomb. And you could buy ganja for $3.50 a kartoo or $15 for a satay of Buddha Stick. But there was also Operation Ferret.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

And Sg had a great soccer team then that put all the races together (Kim Song, Eric Paine, Ashrad Khamis, Rajagopal) - unlike now where its an all Malay team. My uncle who was a shipping clerk then used to get entertained by vendors at Oasis almost every week. I never been there though. Not bad for clerk, has a Triumph Spitfire for his wheels.

Cheers!

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neptune was the longest surviving one....would still be around if not for redevelopment. Good memories of that place....daytime dim sum was one of the best....

Thanks Narong, did Neptune have more of a English speaking crowd or Chinese? i heard Golden Million catered to the Chinese crowd with Chinese singers? more info on Neptune, Golden Million & Tropicana would be greatly appreciated, 70s & 80s Singapore was indeed a great time :wink:

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
For cheap-skates like us (still schooling lah), it was $7-50 'cover charge' (as it was called in those days) about 50 patrons could be squeezed up where they operated the lights to watch the show behind glass panels so that we cannot disturb the high class patrons.

KNN now than you tell me :biggrin: i had to hunt the streets behind for minahs.

Neptune too had topless shows (usually Russian girls) and also, after 11-00pm. Sundays, filled with families on dim sum feasts.

more info on Neptune please, i particularly like the Tropicana signage in front on Scoots Rd, gave the place a Vegas look.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Neptune's stage was pretty big as well....always got wedding dinners held there....on the 5th floor if not wrong...........the carpark was about as tall.......
i go there day and night because then my friend who was also my stockbroker his office on the ground floor.......OUB securities.
The acts, all angmos......mostly russians....very clean nothing sleazy.........only the old folks get worked up only.
Neptune also just next to collyer quay where alot of action also.

KNN now than you tell me :biggrin: i had to hunt the streets behind for minahs.

more info on Neptune please, i particularly like the Tropicana signage in front on Scoots Rd, gave the place a Vegas look, did Neptune have such a presence? i guess if it was inside Peninsula, it did not have a street fronted signage or did it?

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
70s was a great decade for us. Things were affordable, Sg was undergoing tremendous economic growth and there was an upbeat mood all around. Ordchard Road motorcyle races, discos, hot minahs. Girls wore miniskirts and hotpants. People were still quite simple then - school mates would hold``function`in their homes - unlike now where parties are held at hotel ballroms costing a bomb. And you could buy ganja for $3.50 a kartoo or $15 for a satay of Buddha Stick. But there was also Operation Ferret.

Cheers!

I grew up in the 70s, spent my teenage days in the 80s, started work in the 90s and is now at the peak of my career post miilenium. My only regret is not being born 10 years earlier. Then I would have spent my childhood days in the 60s, teenage days in the 70s and start working in the 80s. But at least I got a taste of my life was like in the 70s.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Neptune's stage was pretty big as well....always got wedding dinners held there....on the 5th floor if not wrong...........the carpark was about as tall.......
i go there day and night because then my friend who was also my stockbroker his office on the ground floor.......OUB securities.
The acts, all angmos......mostly russians....very clean nothing sleazy.........only the old folks get worked up only.
Neptune also just next to collyer quay where alot of action also.

at 10 pm, all those below 18 years old will exit to a corner outside the restaurant. And the show starts, i was once seated very near to the stage. Wasn't impressed, no boner :(

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
My mom and aunts would meet for lunch at that Mayflower for Tim Sum whenver they went to CK Tang to shop. That was where I first saw Anita Sarawak perfom and if I remember correctly, she was a dynamite perfomer!! I liked the tim sum there, coming around on trolleys and the mustard-sweet red sauce dip came in one saucer with both dips separated in between - don`t see this anymore.

i don't remember Mayflower had a stage? we use to go too, prefered the one in Shenton Way. that 2 sauce in 1 saucer if i'm not mistaken is for the roast meat platter, those days the Mayflower char siu was quite good, dark red & not the artificial bright red colouring you get these days.

Talking about Anita Sarawak anyone remember the black bikini 2 page centrespread she did in one of the papers back in the late 70s i think, it was a very skimpy black bikini & she was sprawled out & i think it had pointers like 1. hair by xxx, 2. make up by xxx 3. nails... etc.. i was like WOW, since when did we have a minah can spread out like that on newspaper!! machiam buka everything can see one.. she was HOT, & not to forget Heather Marican, she was super HOT, see her toned body & those super short 70's running shorts, buay tahan man! knew her daughter Natasha but no fight, her mother was a real Chiobu Milf!

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Oh that Oasis with unLimited servings of sweet potatoes' porridge.Chai por neng was their must-order..:smile:

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
70s was a great decade for us. Things were affordable, Sg was undergoing tremendous economic growth and there was an upbeat mood all around. Ordchard Road motorcyle races, discos, hot minahs. Girls wore miniskirts and hotpants. People were still quite simple then - school mates would hold``function`in their homes - unlike now where parties are held at hotel ballroms costing a bomb. And you could buy ganja for $3.50 a kartoo or $15 for a satay of Buddha Stick. But there was also Operation Ferret. Cheers!

Yes the 70s were a perfect time, you still had pockets of old Singapore with the newer Singapore slowly being developed, by the early 80s it was full on development & it was the first time i began to miss the character of old Singapore, old being just a few years ago. I remember Orchard rd moto races, can just stand at the traffic lights & watch them go, the noise was very loud, always got a few yayapapaya do wheelie behind the racers & i once saw 1 moto buang, crash into another bike, everybody ran, the bikers would hangout at the bowling alley carpark behind Mandarin hotel, those days definetely 100% hot minahs, i had a thing for minah chicks back then :biggrin: & eurasian chicks were too hot to handle, but they always went for mat salehs. I remember one night after the show ended at Tropicana & this tall blonde left the building, i guess she was one of the troupe dancers & there was a small commotion in front of the holiday inn, people were looking, the girl had a sparkly & a very flimsy see through dress with her birthday suit underneath, KNN nothing left to the imagination man. I still remember her smile.. she had a big broad grin, shinny all white teeth, she loved the attention & so did we :biggrin: sigh.. those were great days.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And Sg had a great soccer team then that put all the races together (Kim Song, Eric Paine, Ashrad Khamis, Rajagopal) - unlike now where its an all Malay team. My uncle who was a shipping clerk then used to get entertained by vendors at Oasis almost every week. I never been there though. Not bad for clerk, has a Triumph Spitfire for his wheels.

Cheers!

I noticed that too during those days, it was quite common for CLERKS after working for donkey years, especially for the "Taipans" like Guthrie, Boustead, Coulet ( the sardine) etc, could drive a Triumph Spitfire, live in "ang sar li" or " jalan kayu" or Sembawang Hills or Yio Chu Kang near to "seow keng" in terrace houses. Nowadays a clerk..can get you?