• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Abused At Work

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi guys, Sinkieland is famous once again for all the wrong reasons! This piece of news made it to the South China Morning Post's website - uploaded @ 2:43 pm this afternoon. Not sure if it will appear in tomorrow's print edition. Here goes:

A supervisor at a Singaporean company was seen slapping and bullying an intern, according to a video that has since gone viral online.

The video, recorded by another intern, was first uploaded on Friday evening and soon gathered tens of thousands of hits. Touching on the difficult job environment for young graduates in the island-city state, it hit a raw nerve with viewers.

The video has been taken off YouTube several times, first because it contained "content designed to harass, bully or threaten" and later because of copyright infringement.

Parents of the victim confronted the supervisor at the office after watching the video and rejected his apology, according to Yahoo Singapore.

When confronted earlier by the person who filmed the slapping, the supervisor reportedly said the intern had "an inferiority complex" and he was trying to "nurture him to get over it".

"The hitting and yelling stopped when I confronted him but this kind of behaviour has most likely been going on even before I joined, and will again continue after I leave," the intern wrote.

"He brought me into a meeting room and… said that my colleague apparently has an inferiority complex and apparently my supervisor is trying to 'nurture' him to get over it," he said, adding: "However, my co-worker is very timid and seems like the kind of guy that will not stand up for himself."

Since the original video was removed, several duplicates have been uploaded to YouTube.

http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/a...isor-caught-video-slapping-intern-nurture-him

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every piece of news that puts Singapore in bad light, brings joy to my soul.

Schadenfreude > patriotism

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
So which is worst...cumpany tat oni employ FT...or cumpany soley depend on intern chip labour to do their dirty work...:(

Which is worse, a government run labour union that pays lip service to the plight of low wage local workers, toes the government line and only recommended a peanut $50 raise after much public outcry? Or the governing agency on manpower, who encourages foreign labour, refuse to implement minimum wage and also pays lip service to the plight of low wage local workers.

T

TuaBui

the victim parent suing that company for 100k leh

MOM should investigate SIM !

Something is wrong with SIM !

Man apologises for slapping co-worker in viral
video taken by SIM student

By Jeanette Tan | Yahoo! Newsroom – Sun, May 19, 2013

[UPDATE on Monday, 20 May at 9.30pm: Added details of supervisor's apology.
The original video clip (and its duplicates) has been taken down by YouTube due to
violations of its policy on disturbing content. A copy of the clip was also uploaded
by The Real Singapore to its Facebook page here.]

The man who was filmed slapping his co-worker in a Singapore office has come out to apologise
to the victim's parents.

However, Chinese daily Shin Min Daily News reported that the parents of the victim -- now
identified by Shin Min as a 29-year-old intern -- have rejected the apology.

The supervisor, known as Alan, apologised after the intern's parents showed up at the office,
demanding an explanation after their nephew showed them the clip, which was uploaded on
Friday evening and has since gone viral. Alan said he had slapped his colleague in a fit of anger.
The intern's parents also told the paper that their son seemed to be under a lot of stress, and it
was likely brought on by his job at the local company. He no longer works at the company, where
he is said to be paid a monthly allowance of between $500 and $600.

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) also said in a statement on Monday that the victim has filed a
police report

The video has since gone viral since it was uploaded over the weekend.

Filmed by SIM intern

The university undergraduate who uploaded the clip is an intern from Singapore Institute of
Management (SIM). In electronic correspondence with Yahoo! Singapore, the 23-year-old firstyear student said on Monday that he has sent an e-mail to the Ministry of Manpower, and has
also filed a report with the company's human resources department.

He also confirmed that he had just started a three-and-a-half month internship at the company.
It is due to end in August, but SIM has said that they have terminated his internship, in light of
the incident.

In posts on the Hardware Zone forum thread he started over the weekend, he said that he had
also approached his school's internship co-ordinator, but was told to continue working there
while she spoke to the company's HR department. She informed him that the company has a
long-standing relationship with his school and previous interns had never surfaced any
problems.

"(The internship coordinator) was just doing her job, and was trying not to make any rash
decisions," he explained. "I wanted to head down to SIM to show her the footage and give her a
better understanding of what was happening in that office. But I was really disappointed when
she brushed me aside, saying that she will talk to the manager first. I felt that my school didn't
take me seriously."

He said he was hesitant to reveal the name of the company he was interning at because there
were only four people working there -- a manager, his supervisor (the alleged abuser seen in the
video), his co-worker (the victim) and himself.

Video went viral

The 17-second clip he uploaded under the username Shane M on YouTube late on Friday night
shows a man standing over a younger man and hitting him repeatedly on the head. This is
accompanied by verbal abuse. A third man, wearing a blue T-shirt and jeans, walks up to the first
man to try to stop him. Then, the video cuts to a different scene where the first man is seen
slapping the 'victim' repeatedly on the face.

In the first entry he posted on the Hardware Zone thread, he said his supervisor (the alleged
abuser) was "constantly bullying" his colleague, and the abuse which the latter received was
"often physical". He wrote that the victim is shy and so, does not want to take action, and "there
doesn't (seem to be) anyone in the workplace that will do anything about this". He added that
when he approached his colleague about the treatment the latter received, his colleague said he
felt that he himself was in the wrong and that their boss was merely "correcting" him.
"The hitting and yelling stopped when I confronted him but this kind of behaviour has most
likely been going on even before I joined, and will again continue after I leave," he wrote, adding
that he felt that his supervisor's explanation for the abuse was insincere.

"He brought me into a meeting room and… said that my colleague apparently has an inferiority
complex and apparently my supervisor is trying to 'nurture' him to get over it," he shared.
"However, my co-worker is very timid and seems like the kind of guy that will not stand up for
himself."

In subsequent posts, the undergraduate shared that he witnessed the alleged abuse over his
first two days of his internship, and used his phone to record it on his third.

Within the first 24 hours since it was uploaded, the clip garnered more than 80,000 views and
was picked up by several local websites before it, and other duplicates uploaded to YouTube,
were taken down for violating the video streaming site's policies on violent and disturbing
content.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/video-of-man-hitting-worker-in-office-goes-viral-043238636.html

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MOM should investigate SIM !

Something is wrong with SIM !

I've touched on this before on another topic. Why is whistleblowing such a taboo in singapore? Why do people stand and watch wrong things become worse?

And kudos to the SIM student. He is the type of youth Singapore needs.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've touched on this before on another topic. Why is whistleblowing such a taboo in singapore? Why do people stand and watch wrong things become worse?

It happened quite a while ago if i m not wrong. What took him so long to blow the whistle?

T

TuaBui

you mean that guy's salary is $600...are you sure??? or is that part time or what?

this one more steady 4 months ( 6 mths x 2/3 ) at S$18,800 / 4 = S$4,700 per month !!!

No slapping for 4 months , free food , free lodging !!!

Dismissed employee forged time sheets to cheat former company of $18,800

By Khushwant Singh

He was dismissed as a customer service officer by StarHub on June 15, 2011 for tardiness but Muhammed Syahmi Lopez, 23, continued submitting time sheets to his recruitment agency for a salary. Over the next seven months, he collected more than $18,800 from Recruit Express, a company that supplies workers to businesses.

On Tuesday, he was jailed for six months by a district court. He had pleaded guilty to forging 16 time sheets and to one count of theft of a laptop from a house along Bukit Timah Road.

He was found out on Feb 3 last year when a staff member at Recruit Express noticed that he had billed the agency for working at the StarHub outlet at VivoCity on Jan 23. That was a public holiday for Chinese New Year and the branch was closed that day.

Investigations then revealed that he had forged the signature of Ms Hoi Lei Kam, 33, the Starhub outlet manager, on the time sheets. He would then submit these to Recruit Express and payment would be deposited into his bank account.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Whistleblowing is the antithesis of a porlumpar culture. Most people in Singapore would rather back the thugs than to starve.

T

TuaBui

this one more steady 4 months ( 6 mths x 2/3 ) at S$18,800 / 4 = S$4,700 per month !!!

No slapping for 4 months , free food , free lodging !!!

Dismissed employee forged time sheets to cheat former company of $18,800

By Khushwant Singh

He was dismissed as a customer service officer by StarHub on June 15, 2011 for tardiness but Muhammed Syahmi Lopez, 23, continued submitting time sheets to his recruitment agency for a salary. Over the next seven months, he collected more than $18,800 from Recruit Express, a company that supplies workers to businesses.

On Tuesday, he was jailed for six months by a district court. He had pleaded guilty to forging 16 time sheets and to one count of theft of a laptop from a house along Bukit Timah Road.

He was found out on Feb 3 last year when a staff member at Recruit Express noticed that he had billed the agency for working at the StarHub outlet at VivoCity on Jan 23. That was a public holiday for Chinese New Year and the branch was closed that day.

Investigations then revealed that he had forged the signature of Ms Hoi Lei Kam, 33, the Starhub outlet manager, on the time sheets. He would then submit these to Recruit Express and payment would be deposited into his bank account.

The Moral Of The Story !!!

What Do U Think ?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alot of crazy people around, looks like this abuser is one of them. The poor intern must be under alot of stress.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the supervisor got balls,come out one to one,will use the baseball bat to whack him into a pulp.
KNNCCB to the farking bastard Singapore Employers !!!

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
21519833%20-%2021_05_2013_2.jpg

21517716%20-%2021_05_2013_0.jpg

21519814%20-%2021_05_2013_0.jpg

SINGAPORE - The family of a 29-year-old intern, who was filmed being repeatedly slapped by his boss at a software company, is demanding for $100,000 in compensation for lost wages over the years.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the intern joined the firm at Jurong East three years ago as an undergraduate. He was paid $500 a month and not given any benefits or leave days.

When he graduated from university, the intern continued to work for the company under the same pay, still without a contract or any benefits.

His family said that he often returned home late and also turned up at work even when he was ill.

According to the intern, his supervisor, identified only as Alan, had physically and verbally abused him from time to time. However, he said that the worst incident was the one secretly recorded and shared online.

When asked, the intern told a Wanbao reporter that he did not leave the job as he liked it very much and learned many new things while at it. He also said that he felt like he could not leave because there were always projects that he had to finish.

Despite that, the intern had tried to resign once in 2012 but was told not to leave as the office was shorthanded.

When he asked for a pay raise, he was told by his supervisor that his performance was not up to scratch and that he did not have enough experience.

The intern and his family went to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) offices today to file an official complaint against Alan.

They told the Chinese daily that they had asked for a $100,000 compensation to make up for wages lost over the years.

When asked what he was most grateful to Alan for, the intern said that Alan had allowed him to take paid-leave when his grandmother passed away.

He said he initially denied being the victim in the video because he did not want the incident to affect Alan's family.

[email protected]

Two more interns speak out

SINGAPORE - The same supervisor has also been accused of abusing two other female interns, Shin Min Daily News reported.

One of them told the Chinese evening paper that she was locked up in a room and harshly lectured by Alan. She revealed that she received at least five such lectures during the two months that she was with the company.

Describing Alan as ill-tempered, she told Shim Min that he would flare up at the every mistake made by his employees.

The 23-year-old student worked as an intern at the company as part of a university arrangement. She received a monthly allowance of $500. She noticed during the initial days of her internship the suppressive environment there and that the employees did not speak much.

She said she chose to resign as she was not able to put up with the stressful conditions.

Another 20-year-old student, however, persevered and completed her internship at the company as she did not want her graduation to be affected.

She said in a television interview that she went through nine weeks of unreasonable and aggressive treatment from Alan.
- See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/career/...0k-compensation/page/0/2#sthash.GBWKquYD.dpuf

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alot of crazy people around, looks like this abuser is one of them. The poor intern must be under alot of stress.

seen alot of these B@stards in sinkieland. usually they have the face like this @sshole. skinny face , either slap or threaten to slap some junior over some small petty issue. usually some low life job like supervisor of inetrn or contract workers. once outside or in front of Boss they behave like mice. real cowards. somehow the system produce alot of these assholes who get reternched and become taxidrivers.
I do not blame the intern. its like the proverbial frog in a slowly boiling pot. modus operandi is the same. overworked you and isolate you from reality until you cannot think, then make you feel so little and abuse you by shouting and sometimes hitting and punishing you for every small things. it would usualy take someone form outside to wake up the victim.
They Purposely make you feel insecure and destroy your confident by picking on everything. Why? because these assholes buuly have insecurity complex and afraid the intern would shine and better him and take over his job. typical crap sinkie behaviour. jealous manipulative, bullying and scheming. same system in army, NS where the CO alwasy try to belittle you. real shitty this guy. suggest strongly they sue for at least $1 million for exploitation and abuse , mental and physical, now that they have all the evidence. real shit to take such abuse for $600 a month and work 12-15 hours a day. even dogs get a rest and better treatment
it sure pains the parents to find out their son was abused. what fark up apology for what. this sh!thead apologise because he was found out. should reject it for insincere like the pinoys apology to taiwan.

Last edited: