• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rejoice! Spore wins 2010 world table tennis women's team title

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spore FT beat China 3-1 to win world table tennis women's title

3 Cheers for GMS pro FT policy!

MOSCOW: Singapore's trio Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Sun Bei Bei rocked the sports world in Moscow when they beat reigning champions and world No 1 China 3-1 in the World Team Table Tennis Championships.

all these are FT from PRC China lah not true blue born in Singapore Singaporeans.

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was on duty at the VIP room in RWS where all the seats were occupied by PRCs. When they hearing the news that Singapore had beaten the PRC team and won the World Championship....... laughter broke out from almost all of them.

Later while handing a bottle of perrier to one of the PRC gambler having his cigarette break.... I asking him why they were laughing?

He says it was known all along that Singapore would be winning over China.... they laughing because all of them won their bets by putting money on Singapore. The insider info is China lost to Singapore on purpose because by winning, the China paddlers get only a miserly amount from their government whereas if Singapore winning, they get 1 million from Singapore government. So they had arrangement for Singapore to pay them $500K to lose. Singapore paddlers agree as win-win situation for everybody except the stupid carrothead singapore government. :p

After that then I understanding why the PRC paddlers look so happy on the podium despite being the losers.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yr description fit that fucking ROC snooker champ cuesports almost imported ! I am also against that.

I don't see the ping pong gals gtting filthy rich & they worked really hard.

Practise judgment & don't over-generalise.

I dislike lee bee wah jamban woman too.

But i recognize a credible achievement when I see one.

There's a tendency to condemn and condemn these girls w/o considering their individual merits. If money is the only motivation for them, they could've also considered HK, Germany, France or some other rich European nations. Why settle for S'pore? It's because there are other impt.factors to consider. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps they genuinely want to and feel proud to be S'porean? In any event, to aspire to be rich is a very Sinkaporean trait. I don't see anything wrong or opportunistic with that? It's only right we give credit where credit is due. If u understand competitive table-tennis at all, u would soon realise what a monumental achievement it was to hand the China Chinese their 1st defeat ever! Kudos to our S'pore Chinese, never mind that they originally came from China, HK, Malaysia, Vietnam or even Myanmar!:biggrin:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a disgrace! Singaporean are useless and need spend millions to buy a trophy while the old and weak are begging in the streets

It's not a fair statement to make. The old and weak must be looked after by the State and certainly not reduced to beggars. But this is a task to be undertaken by the relevasnt authorities. The millions spent on super high salaries and perks is the real issue.

Anyway, money is used for legitimate purposes in striving for sports excellence as investment, incentives, perks etc. Sports is also big business! This is the modern day reality! To win the world championship is no mean feat. No amount of money can guarantee a win, let alone winning a trophy.
Well done, girls!:smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a tendency to condemn and condemn these girls w/o considering their individual merits. If money is the only motivation for them, they could've also considered HK, Germany, France or some other rich European nations. Why settle for S'pore?

PRCs, especially talent scouted athletes, can migrate to Singapore much easier than to HK SAR. In any case, HK produces world competition-grade paddlers themselves. Not championship-grade but certainly world competition-grade.

Germany or France? Don't make me laugh. They're not hardup for table tennis medals. They win other medals and trophies by truckloads, and they're not interested in promoting table tennis in their countries where not many of their people are interested in anyway.

Other European countries interested in table tennis, e.g. the Scandinavian countries and some eastern European countries, also produce their own players because there're segments of their population interested in playing the game. Like HK, certainly world competition-grade and even ocassionally world championship challenging-grade. Some of them do hire PRC coaches to improve their local players. However, importing players for the sake of winning is last thing on their minds.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't understand our govt obsessions at winning something in sports to the extreme approach of importing foreign athletes to replace our locals, 100% in the case of table tennis.
PAP wouldn't score any points on this so what's the purpose?

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was on duty at the VIP room in RWS where all the seats were occupied by PRCs. When they hearing the news that Singapore had beaten the PRC team and won the World Championship....... laughter broke out from almost all of them.

Later while handing a bottle of perrier to one of the PRC gambler having his cigarette break.... I asking him why they were laughing?

He says it was known all along that Singapore would be winning over China.... they laughing because all of them won their bets by putting money on Singapore. The insider info is China lost to Singapore on purpose because by winning, the China paddlers get only a miserly amount from their government whereas if Singapore winning, they get 1 million from Singapore government. So they had arrangement for Singapore to pay them $500K to lose. Singapore paddlers agree as win-win situation for everybody except the stupid carrothead singapore government. :p

After that then I understanding why the PRC paddlers look so happy on the podium despite being the losers.

I believe you 100%.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Typical reactions in this forum.

Won : L J talks a lot.

Lose : C B talks a lot.

Never a moment of gratification. How sad and pathetic.

Anyway, congrats on the Team B beating Team A.
This will make accession into China proper as her southern most province a lot easier.
Maybe Singapore will be renamed New Hainan. Hahhaa....:biggrin:

Your are very right!Anyway, thank you Team B for making Singapore's name proud!This money is well spend!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fundamental purpose of striving to be leaders or champions in any sport is to promote the sport domestically, both as a participant sport and as a spectator sport. What's the use of winning championships when few are interested in playing the game, not even watching the game? It's like England buying over an American baseball team to win the World Series. Who in England would care to shout about it? They're watching and playing football, rugby and cricket. They'd probably vote out the silly government for wasting money on something they're not interested in.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is so called : "WIN-WIN" situation! Great!

Uranium22

I'm a table tennis fan and i dont feel any joy at all. Remove the monetary rewards im dead sure they wouldnt even bother to look in our direction. Work hard my foot!

This win is a blsseing in disguse. This should wake china up. The thought of one of these PRC mercenaries winning an olympic singles and walking away with $1mil is revolting.

Give me Pat Kim and Koh Li Ping anytime!
Pat Kim was my fav local player chio and same playing style as me short pimple fast attacker.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are absolutely right. At the initial stage, we need a few foreign players (and not the whole team!) that can take us to international competitions (and get young people interested in the sport) while we work on bringing up young local talents.

However, we are putting people who knows absolutely nothing about the sport to lead the team. They only know how to spend money to get instant results inorder to get their next promotion.

Japan and German teams have come a long way in Ping Pong. Japan has no foreign players and Germany only has 1 PRC player.

hi there

1. yes, sheep, you can dream on!

jw5

Loyal
I can't understand our govt obsessions at winning something in sports to the extreme approach of importing foreign athletes to replace our locals, 100% in the case of table tennis.
PAP wouldn't score any points on this so what's the purpose?
It's all about "face".

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Without them, our local players would also be mediocre. At least having the PRC imports allows us to groom a Tan Paey Fern. Without them to spar with, Paey Fern would have been nowhere.

===

well, no body discounts the hard work that these girls and all athletes put in, practice makes perfect, holds true for all sports.

what i find disgusting is the notion and belief that in order to pursue success, we can always "buy" success - by importing talents - be it rejects or pass by from the other countries, get them to don our uniform and play. Whats wrong if we don't do well in table tennis? Whats wrong if we play badly so long we tried? Just because China is strong in table tennis, we Singapore must also be strong and at all costs, die die to win a medal, regardless at what lengths?

So what if we win now win the WC? How is this success gonna cascade downwards to groom young players? Our first FT player for table tennis, is Jin Jun Hong. Did she manage to groom younger singaporean player who now plays for the team? No. Instead, they brought in these 4 girls from China and get them to play for Singapore.

Though the rules forbid them from possibly representing another country - thereby forbidding them to leave because of money, we spent money to "import" them. Why not spend the money as well to properly shake up the table tennis structure to have an established system to groom and identify young players from start?

The thing don't stop there, you have to make sports a viable business and trade - people don't play full time in Singapore simply because it does not earn enough. Looking at it, I would also not encourage my children to do sports full time because an injury can ruin your career and without a backup, you are gone. Few years down the road, no one give a fuck if you are the ex-world champion.

Contrast this with the system that other countries have, they have well setup system that ensure that playing professional sport is a viable career - they have leagues, teams that play competitively. Singapore, no. And looking the hoo-has recently with STTA, I can only shake my head in dismay. First and for most, why the fuck have a MP in charge of the association? What is her purpose and function?

There are plenty of countries who don't have a strong sports culture but they are strong in other fields. its not wrong to aspire to be good in sports - but do it ground up and setup the infrastructure properly.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
For many months in SB forum i've been seeing more bad news circulate faster than the good news,so it is quite refreshing to see this good news that our chinaporean girls has done us proud and my little nephew can be proud of her mummy too.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a tendency to condemn and condemn these girls w/o considering their individual merits. If money is the only motivation for them, they could've also considered HK, Germany, France or some other rich European nations. Why settle for S'pore? It's because there are other impt.factors to consider. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps they genuinely want to and feel proud to be S'porean? In any event, to aspire to be rich is a very Sinkaporean trait. I don't see anything wrong or opportunistic with that? It's only right we give credit where credit is due. If u understand competitive table-tennis at all, u would soon realise what a monumental achievement it was to hand the China Chinese their 1st defeat ever! Kudos to our S'pore Chinese, never mind that they originally came from China, HK, Malaysia, Vietnam or even Myanmar!:biggrin:
Ang moh countries not so thick skinned to have a roster of 100% prc players, and im sure sure they dont prostitute themselves like we do.

LOL we havve truly become the laughing stock of the table tennis world.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I oredi pointed this out earlier:

Don't get too excited for this match has been fixed for Sinchiapore to win so that
the players can share the price money (paid by Sillypore) with the China team.

It's a win win situation for all.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I oredi pointed this out earlier:

Don't get too excited for this match has been fixed for Sinchiapore to win so that
the players can share the price money (paid by Sillypore) with the China team.

It's a win win situation for all.

All the cock-talkers never check their facts & anyhow bray about fixing & sharing prize money with china team.

Spore Pools Million Dollar Award applies only to Olympics, Asian Games, commonwealth & SEA Games.

World Championships are not in the scheme so how got millions to share & aree on conspiracy before hand? It was reported in the press someone from STTA confirmed this victory no huge money award like in Olympics.

But facts don't matter. Lame farts must invent fiction to spice up their prejudiced yarns. :oIo:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the cock-talkers never check their facts & anyhow bray about fixing & sharing prize money with china team.

At this point in time, it is not certain who kelong with who.

What we do have on record is that there was some very unusual punting activity in the form of China punters betting heavily on Singapore to win. The pattern of betting is unusual enough for bookmakers to suspect that there was match fixing.

Needless to say, our once righteous CPIB will not be doing any kind of investigation as everyone is busy patting each other on the back. In fact, it is rumoured LBW might even get some kind of award for this "victory".

This is currently however a strong political agenda in China to crack down on corruption in sports. This was sparked by the football scandal in China which is still spreading. It might therefore be a matter of time before the China side investigates. This is especially if rumours that the match was fixed get widespread discussion on the nationalist Chinese web sites. The situation is potentially very explosive as many Chinese regard the PRC players in the Singapore team as second rate traitors who sold China out because they couldn't make it in China.