• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rejoice! Spore wins 2010 world table tennis women's team title

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not know if prize money is being exchanged for China to loose to Singapore. However, this strategy is not new in the business world.

In any case, I think China actually is the winner for this tourament.

Why ?..
1. China used this tourament to gain world class competition experience for thier new players. It was reported that 'World number 1 : Liu' do not have such competition experience at just 19 years old !!

2. China has been dominating TT touraments. It comes a point that to 'rejunevate' the game, China has to let some other country win at some point in time. Thereafter, you can bet yuor last dollar that China will dominate all future touraments again, saying they trained harder after 'loosing' this Moiscow Games.

3. China 'purposely'(?) loose to Singapore that the entire team of Singapore is actually 'ex'-China players. This seem to to me a snub by China of Singapore that the entire team was 'bought' from China.

4. Loosing to Singapore entire ex-China team will definately put spurs in China's new players' hides, as an old man once said.

There are more reasons but not worth my efforts to think and list here. Maybe some one can continue to contribute what will China benefit by loosing this tourament.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are more reasons but not worth my efforts to think and list here. Maybe some one can continue to contribute what will China benefit by loosing this tourament.[/QUOTE]

===

our MM just came back from China no? maybe as a reward for us being so "nice" to them, they say ok lah, pity you - panchang a bit...let you win. But we will win the Guangzhou Asian Games and Olympig...haha

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Without them, our local players would also be mediocre. At least having the PRC imports allows us to groom a Tan Paey Fern. Without them to spar with, Paey Fern would have been nowhere.

====

erm...where is Paey Fern now? Its okay if we are mediocre...we start somewhere....or if you bring in FTs, the purpose is to reinforce the level of TT here...if you don't allow Paey Fern to play in matches like this - ok, nevermind we will get thrashed, thats how you learn, you gained experience....how is she gonna develop?

You continue bringing in foreign blood, when this cohort of girls retire, you just buy another batch...very soon, the local talent will die...we will say ok, forget it...don't bother. Then it defeats the whole purpose.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
====

erm...where is Paey Fern now? Its okay if we are mediocre...we start somewhere....or if you bring in FTs, the purpose is to reinforce the level of TT here...if you don't allow Paey Fern to play in matches like this - ok, nevermind we will get thrashed, thats how you learn, you gained experience....how is she gonna develop?

You continue bringing in foreign blood, when this cohort of girls retire, you just buy another batch...very soon, the local talent will die...we will say ok, forget it...don't bother. Then it defeats the whole purpose.

Last I heard Tan Puey Fern coach or asst coach to some age-group youth teams...

Yr above points are valid, even Jamban Lee is aware it is not sustainable to go on importing forever, that's why she is trying so hard to use her Nee Soon East base to start ping pong class for kindergarten singaporean kids ....

At youth level, there is one or two boy & girl like Clarence, Zeta Sim etc who have shone. Special Focus on these locals should be placed to develop them to their FULL potential - not just use her as some token.

If not then stop setting unrealistic goals of being World Champ this or that.
In future teams, I personally feel there must be participation of a Spore bred player (both men or women).

Just like in EPL, Wenger's practice of snatching talented youths from foreign clubs at the end of the day will be outlawed.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just saw the closing ceremony. The whole "Singapore team" looks very arkward standing next to their "sisters" who came in second. They either kept their mouth shut or pretend to mumbur along with the national anthem.

On closer look, it looks like they are dreaming.........probably thinking of how much their bonus will be.......

I had the Singapore flag over my shoulders and tears were welling in my eyes..........I will hang the flag outside my apartment to tell all my PRC neighbours that we are the champions and I will start playing ping pong starting tomorrow......

hi there

1. bingo!
2. adding on: how many condos can i purchase with the prize monies received the sheep?
3. honest, what's the big deal? some purchased glory for sheep.
4. if the medal is won by some true-blue spgs, then we should be happy.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
====

erm...where is Paey Fern now?

If not for her PRC teammates, do you think she would accomplish the following? It's thanks to her PRC teammates that she became a medal contender in the Commonwealth and Asian games.

Commonwealth Championships
Gold - Women's Team
Bronze - Mixed Doubles (partner: Cai Xiao Li)

15th Asian Games
Silver - Women's Team

Commonwealth Games
Gold - Women's Team
Silver - Women's Doubles (partner: Xu Yan)
Bronze - Mixed Doubles (partner: Ho Jia Ren Jason)

ITTF Korea Open
1st - Women's Doubles (partenr: Zhang Xueling)
Asian Cup
5th - Women's Singles
Gold - Women's Team
Gold - Women's Doubles
Bronze - Women's Singles

Oylimpic Games
Top 16 - Women's Doubles (partner: Zhang Xueling)

Gold - Women's Team
Silver - Women's Singles
Silver - Women's Doubles

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
first of all, commendable achievements by Paey Fern. Now why wasn't she selected to represent Singapore for this competition? Too old? cannot be, she is only 36/37...can still play. Jin Jun Hong play until nearly 40.

The only reason I can think of is, she is deemed not to meet the cut. Which is back to my point, how else can she improve without competition or some committe feel she has reached her max ability and thats it, full stop.

Sure, hving quality sparring partners help tremendously be it FTs or locals - I am not against it. But never lose the objective - you are going to use FT to groom your local talent.

Look at our bowling - we are doing quite well- we are not world beaters but we carved out our niche with locals. Our yachting is okay as well, I don't see FTs in sailing. Shooting unfortunately is another one that started bringing in FTs. Same for badminton - this flopped, that Susilo or something...

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
tan paey fern cannot go far.

her style is purely defend and defend, chop n chop. which world class player play this type in table tennis. see also damn sian. got opportunity to smash but will still play underspin chop. siow.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
first of all, commendable achievements by Paey Fern. Now why wasn't she selected to represent Singapore for this competition? Too old? cannot be, she is only 36/37...can still play. Jin Jun Hong play until nearly 40.

You answered it yourself. Don't talk about Paey Fern, even Jiawei is going to be too old for London 2012. Junhong should've quit while she was ahead.

Baroko

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have missed GCT fantasy wish for the 2010 world cup. If buying and importing players is the way to go why not buy the Brazilian team and make them don Singapore colors for the next world cup? Surely we can afford it. Why trouble our citizens who are all striving to be scholars so as to get into the civil cervice and hopefully be a mega bucks minister?

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feng, Singapore's world No 2, was the star of the team, after she beat China's world No 4, Ding Ning, in the first singles, before coming back to the table to clinch the winning point 3-2 against women's No 1, 19-year-old Liu Shiwen.

Nothing amazing really.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also the 19-year old girl is not yet tested internationally and it just shows she can't do it against a world No. She'd probably lose against No.4 even.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone with 2 cents knowledge of int'l sports ranking will know the ranking system has its pros & cons.

Unless, all the top players play regularly on the various Opens & Grand Prix events, then the pts & ranks will be an accurate reflection.

It is not true that Ding Ning & Liu Shi Wen are inexperienced internationally. Young they may be, just refer to the monthly Table Tennis Magazine (avail in NLB) that records their match results & ranking changes.

Ding Ning & Liu Shi Wen are as good as they get in PRC. In terms of potential & actual strength, my opinion is both are above Feng in ability.

Because Liu was sent to represent China more on the circuit, her pts put her at No 1. Ding, not too far behind Liu in ability, payed less so is ranked even behind our Feng.

Remember in terms of Feng's peers, there is still Li Xiao Xia, Guo Yue, Guo Chan just to name a few. China has depth & breadth.

This Moscow victory is sweet because the young Ding & Liu had an off day in office. Remember they have never lost to Feng or Wang before.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sporting rankings are based on points scored against opponents. The higher rank opponent you defeat, the more points you score for your ranking. For example, beating China in table tennis or badminton scores lots of points, beating Congo or Zimbabwe scores just a few token points.

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh, now I understand why that time that ministar say Goal 2010...we will have a team in World Cup 2010...he meant table tennis lah not soccer, so, you bunch of people better retract your snide remarks k...

that short ass MBT really got foresight. dont play play :biggrin:

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
knn, all the shortsighted fuckers here ignore these ex-prc rejects were rejuvenated in spore by our investment in their talent, u fucking think so easy to beat ding ning & liu si weng ?! how many times they kenna run over by china ?

the sports psychologists have done well.

congrats tiffany, joy & ivy wang ! yes, even wang yue gu won !
FUCK ! the women team have OUTDONE themselves ! :cool:

:oIo: heh you cock eye or what?or you are a china PRC yourself?or better still you are a bloody traitor of Singapore?you bloody asshole better go and search china online forum about 2010 table tennis.you will be surprise how many of them look down on Singaporeans.Why?becos of stupid thick skin traitor like you.you dont have any shame on yourself, then dont pull us the real singaporeans in.we love our country and we want real singaporean to beat those china people.we dont want fake singaporeans playing against china players.this is called pride.only stupid asshole people like you dont have any pride on yourself to be called a singaporean.

i think i had to search and copy and paste all those comments by those china idiots on the internet laughing at us for winning the medal 2010 world table tennis championship!!!!