• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition (dis)unity

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP gets a lot of praise not because there are lots of WP supporters here, but because there are a lot of opposition supporters, and WP is successful and has actually achieved the purpose of moving the opposition cause forward. SDP, RP and SDA get a lot of criticism simply because of their poor performances that have actually made the opposition cause take a step backwards.

and not forgetting ppl who like me who live in the great hdb estate of HOUGANG. How can ppl like us not be WP supporters after living under WP banner since 1991.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the pro-WP comments here are not made by WP supporters, but by general opposition supporters. The majority of the people here are opposition supporters that cannot stand the PAP. However, just because you support a particular entity doesn't mean that you only praise it. A lot of supporters also criticize the entity they support if that entity does a major fuck up.

WP gets a lot of praise not because there are lots of WP supporters here, but because there are a lot of opposition supporters, and WP is successful and has actually achieved the purpose of moving the opposition cause forward. SDP, RP and SDA get a lot of criticism simply because of their poor performances that have actually made the opposition cause take a step backwards.

This is completely logical. However, for a few people motivated by ideology, logic is irrelevant. These are the few that supported KJ during the PEBE, saying that he would get above 20% of the vote, including much of the votes of ethnic minorities. The fact that he garnered 1.2% of the vote (or 353 votes) made such people look silly. Being made to look utterly silly made them disappear from SBF for a couple of months, after which, thinking that people's memory had faded, they have reappeared. Silliness and poor judgment tend to stick to people like a cheap suit.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
..........WP gets a lot of praise not because there are lots of WP supporters here, but because there are a lot of opposition supporters, and WP is successful and has actually achieved the purpose of moving the opposition cause forward. .

Sometimes I also feel like whacking WP for certain things but who am I to say they are wrong when they repeatedly kick out 1 White Scum after another?

SDP, RP and SDA get a lot of criticism simply because of their poor performances that have actually made the opposition cause take a step backwards.

My comments about them:-

SDP - The Invincible ONLINE Party. Only rarely and very recently have I seen online comments that they are starting with any meaningful groundwork.
RP - Ego, ego, ego. Nothing else.
SDA - This is a mini experiment on what to expect if all Oppo really come together. Anybody still hallucinating of Oppo Unity yet?

On the other hand, I reckon NSP will at least capture Mountbatten SMC. MP GRC still have a lot of variables. I also hope SPP can make a come back in PP SMC.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I disagree. Just look at this thread. A discussion about opposition unity turns into discussion about some redundant forum point game. How is that productive and useful, most importantly credible??

Foreigners like you should not intefere with domestic political discussion.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

The problem is: will those people admit to this?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP believes in a strong defence but reformed NS. SDp doesnt believe in defence and believes Singapore cna be on happy fairytale relations with its neighbours. How to have unity

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the pro-WP comments here are not made by WP supporters, but by general opposition supporters. The majority of the people here are opposition supporters that cannot stand the PAP. However, just because you support a particular entity doesn't mean that you only praise it. A lot of supporters also criticize the entity they support if that entity does a major fuck up.

I don't see myself as supporter of any opposition party, in fact WP's centrist left position isn't really my cup of tea. But I do admit I have higher hope on WP simply because they are the only one who can deliver results and pressure the govt . Sdp supporters simply cannot comprehend the fact that WP has become the anchor party to carry the opposition cause to most opposition supporters. Bitching and getting red eye about the success of WP on the internet will not bring Sdp forward.

Last edited:

dho20002000

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you TS for this interesting thread. As an uneducated local guy, I'm just sharing my thoughts & I'm in no position to offend anyone who read my posting.

I have to agree that our founding father did a good job of forming PAP (People's Action Party) during the early days of Singapura. Everything the party did were for better live for the people. During then, the people unite & rally behind the party, giving them all the support so we can be who we are now, Singaporeans. Sadly, things have changed over the years. I see Singapore as a very special country. We are known as a "Republic" yet the past & current leaders (PMs, not the Presidents) are not voted by the people but handed over, so this made us look more like a "Communist" country. I'm sure more than 50% of Singaporeans want to see changes in the country as we wanted when we were known as Singapura. I'm not saying "to overthrow" but make things better for the people. Maybe it is due to the fast pace Singapore is going, it has unknowingly given the government too much power & the interest of the people are slowly forgotten.

Any political parties represents the people of the nation. Without the people, they can't change or do anything. So as to say, it will have to start with us, from the bear basic from the bottom. "Unity" have to start from us but I don't see it coming anytime soon. War of words in this thread has shown the one important weakness we have, that's "(dis)unity".

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you TS for this interesting thread. As an uneducated local guy, I'm just sharing my thoughts & I'm in no position to offend anyone who read my posting.

I have to agree that our founding father did a good job of forming PAP (People's Action Party) during the early days of Singapura. Everything the party did were for better live for the people. During then, the people unite & rally behind the party, giving them all the support so we can be who we are now, Singaporeans. Sadly, things have changed over the years. I see Singapore as a very special country. We are known as a "Republic" yet the past & current leaders (PMs, not the Presidents) are not voted by the people but handed over, so this made us look more like a "Communist" country. I'm sure more than 50% of Singaporeans want to see changes in the country as we wanted when we were known as Singapura. I'm not saying "to overthrow" but make things better for the people. Maybe it is due to the fast pace Singapore is going, it has unknowingly given the government too much power & the interest of the people are slowly forgotten.

Any political parties represents the people of the nation. Without the people, they can't change or do anything. So as to say, it will have to start with us, from the bear basic from the bottom. "Unity" have to start from us but I don't see it coming anytime soon. War of words in this thread has shown the one important weakness we have, that's "(dis)unity".

Hi brother dho20002000, thank you very much for your post. Of all the posts in this thread, I am most touched by your post. Firstly, you are so humble to say that you are an uneducated local guy. Remember, it does not matter whether we are uneducated or well-educated, we all (should) have equal rights in this country as Singaporeans. Secondly, good education is life-long and is not confined narrowly to what we learned when we were in school (or poly, or university). The fact that you are still reading and writing shows that you are a life-long learner, and that is a wonderful thing. Thirdly, I notice that you first joined Sam's forum more than a year ago in Feb 2012, but to date, you have only written 7 posts. There must be a good reason (in your heart and in your mind) for you to come out of the woodwork at this moment to participate in the discussion of this thread. I can understand how you feel because that was how I felt three months ago in January 2013. I have been reading Sam's forum for several years (on and off) as a silent lurker. But in January 2013, I told myself I should not be silent anymore. So, I registered with my nickname and started posting. I am rather busy today and do not have time to write longer. Hopefully, I will have more free time soon to write a bit more in reply to your post and share with you a little about my "political awakening". :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SDP supporters usually talk about their "political awakening" whilst WP supporters usually relate how they started to volunteer because they just wanted to help out, do their bid no matter how small, etc.

This is not directed at Cosmos10 or any other person, just a general observation. In a sense LTK has a harder role to play. SDP can keep its supporters by simply remaining true to their ideology and overall political stance. That explained some angst when SDP moved away from civil disobedience to focus exclusively on mainstream politics. But the angst disappeared when SDP under CSJ showed that it retained in its CEC jufrie, vincent cheng, and the old guard who represent the old system of beliefs.

LTK to keep his supporters needs to show results over time because people must feel that what they're doing is meaningful, and also some of them will become ambitious and want to be candidates.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think TS has identified himself as a supporter of the SDP. Is that a crime, or does it reduce his credibility?

Of course not. Nor is it a crime for WP to have more supporters. How do you expect to produce an equal amount of supporters from every party? People are free to support who they want and some will be more popular than others. Or supporters from each party should nominate the same number of nicks and those who are not nominated cannot voice support for their favourite parties?

WP may have more supporters and therefore a bigger voice, but what's important is that not one of them should spam 100 WP posts in one hour or go out to stalk supporters of other parties outside this forum.

Sounds not fair? But supporting a party is a personal choice, not forced. If I choose to support a party that has less supporters, to be outnumbered is something I should naturally expect and not be complaining about. I will also be proud of being different. As a WP supporter, I can also be outnumbered by PAP supporters, and I am not complaining. And I am sure SDP supporters won't be complaining if there are more SDP supporters here.

On infraction. I have been infracted 4 times for posts critical to SDP. I am no longer saying that SDP supporters did that.

WP will always have bad behaving supporters, SDP will also have, and they will be a minority. As you said, there are so many WP supporters here. If the majority used the infraction function, you and Cosmos will be zapped until you can't type a word.

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
These SDP types are hilarious. You have Temasek Times being very anti-WP and yawningbread so heavily pro-SDP. People who visit those sites would be hard pressed to see any critical comments on SDP appearing on them. Yet, SBF is not even 60% pro-WP and the SDP IB comes in here and complains. One of them who joined in January this year even tells others who have been here longer how to behave. They come in here, stir up a hornet's nest and then play the victim by telling people not to react negatively. This is directly from CSJ's playbook. Achieve nothing but going around telling others how to behave.

People will gravitate to a forum they feel comfortable with. What's so difficult to understand about that?