• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition (dis)unity

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi forum brothers, the below is taken from the TREmeritus website for our discussion here:

A) Julie Ong: April 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm

We must remember that the mighty PAP is the government. Still 90% plus representation in the current parliament.
They have also been in power for over 50 years.

If we want more Opposition in parliament we simply have to get the Oppos to work collaboratively. Disunity is death!!
SDP, WP, RP, NSP, SDA and all others – time to get together and sort things out as regards fielding candidates for contesting, possible alliances, etc., etc. Do remember: The PAP is the enemy. The betrayer of the people.
The Opposition cannot carry on like this and hope to win more seats. The PAP still has majority support of approximately 60% of the people as per GE2011 result. More wins for the Opposition is certainly possible. Don’t be Your Own Worst Enemy, Opposition parties and Supporters. GE2016 is an excellent chance for winning. Don’t blow it! The government is still on the ropes so strengthen yourselves to deliver the knockdown or even knockout blows come General Election 2016.

United, you’ll thrive, Divided you’ll die!

B) Reply to @Julie Ong: April 2, 2013 at 5:31 pm

If we ever want to have a united opposition in Singapore, the first person we should look to set a good example is none other than Mr LTK of the WP. He is the one who is too proud to cooperate with the other opposition parties. He “looks no up” at the other opposition parties. He is the oldest among all the leaders of the various opposition parties. Mr LTK does not know how to be a good elder brother and set a good example. He believes in Chinese/Asian culture but does not practice any humility. I remember last year when the PAP first introduced the National Conversation, all the other opposition parties suggested that the opposition could also conduct an opposition national conversation. The WP refused to have anything to do with it. The WP is so arrogant that they do not want to have any friendliness with the other opposition parties. The WP did not reply to any emails/phone calls from other opposition parties promptly. When LTK did not wish to cooperate with the other party leaders, he did not even have the basic courtesy to reply to the other party leaders DIRECTLY. Instead, Mr LTK announced to the whole wide world during the Punggol East by-election rally that the WP would like to walk alone (whatever that meant!) and said that it was very difficult for the various opposition parties to work together. Why did Mr LTK have to use the election rally stage to make such an announcement about opposition disunity PUBLICLY? Why couldn’t Mr LTK simply pick up the phone and call the other opposition leaders and talk to them PRIVATELY? Of course it is not easy for various parties to work together, but it is not impossible if there is GOOD communication. Like the old saying, when there is a will, there is a way. Mr LTK has to change his attitude towards the other party leaders. If LTK ever becomes the leader of Singapore, HEAVEN FORBID, will he tell Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan, S Korea, UK, USA etc., that Singapore wants to walk alone because these other countries are difficult to work with??! A good leader should be able to work with different kinds of people and maintain a good working relationship with others, no matter how difficult the circumstances.

P.S. A gentle reminder to the WP brothers here who do not like the SDP, please do not zap me with red points. As far as I know, I am a very polite person, I do not yell and I am not rude. There is no reason to zap me just because I do not worship the WP like you. Lets be friends and lets learn to get along together agreeably on this tiny red dot and in Sam's forum, regardless of the party we support. Thanks :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Another typical tirade from the SDP-Temasek Review clique. And while they are busy spamming and throwing tantrums online, LTK is busy walking the ground and winning seats.

I'm surprised they even have the temerity to talk about Punggol East when they were the biggest jokers who fell flat on their own swords even before nomination day. Shows you how clueless and politically immature.

Last edited:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dude, just follow the discussion here: http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?135627-Opposition-unity-is-a-madman-s-notion instead of bringing up this bullshit again.

There's already more than enough points brought up in there to show why with the current state of Singapore opposition parties, 'opposition unity' will be more harmful than helpful.

Well, brother wwabbit, thank you for your link to the other thread. I just read it. It was a very good thread. On the other hand, I hope you understand that Sam's forum is a dynamic forum, there are always new members like myself joining this forum after you. That thread was written in December 2012 and I joined this forum in Jan 2013, so I missed that thread when it was current. When I started this thread, I certainly did not consider this topic as bullshit. I read the discussion on TRE yesterday and took it over here because I thought may be we could have an interesting discussion here too. There are other newer members like myself who may be interested in this discussion even though you may consider it as bullshit. Sometimes a little more tolerance will go a long way to make this forum a happy place for learning. Thanks :smile:

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another typical tirade from the SDP-Temasek Review clique. And while they are busy spamming and throwing tantrums online, LTK is busy walking the ground and winning seats.

I'm surprised they even have the temerity to talk about Punggol East when they were the biggest jokers who fell flat on their own swords even before nomination day. Shows you how clueless and politically immature.

... Agreed! :biggrin:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hi brother Hawkeye1819, please do not over-react. Those comments in TRE were not written by anybody from the SDP. They were written by ordinary TRE readers who are entitled to their own opinions as much as yours and mine. So, I am surprised by your comment that "they (who are your referring to?) are busy spamming and throwing tantrums online". I certainly have not read any spam nor "tantrums" online by the SDP.

If LTK is walking the ground and winning seats, good for him. But other people are entitled to their different opinions about LTK depending on "which side of the coin" they are looking at. Thanks :smile:

"When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free" - Charles Evan Hughes

Last edited:

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is so surprising? TRE has always been anti-WP.

Even if it's not associated with SDP, it is still anti-WP by itself.

And I dunno what you mean by "discussion". You started the thread with a few quotes from TRE without adding any comment of yours.

Not sure about you but I'd call that "making a statement" rather than a genuine, open minded, fair "discussion".

Last edited:

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wayang party, TR emeritus etc are well known for astroturfting. Their remarks are not helping SDP. In fact I dare say they put SDP in a negative light.

It is a common tactic of TRE to instigate fights between SDP and WP supporters in order to create acrimony and detract from the issues. One would be wise to exercise caution with regard to wat is written there.

TRE viciously stabbed WP in the past. Be aware of what they are capable of doing.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wayang party, TR emeritus etc are well known for astroturfting. Their remarks are not helping SDP. In fact I dare say they put SDP in a negative light.

It is a common tactic of TRE to instigate fights between SDP and WP supporters in order to create acrimony and detract from the issues. One would be wise to exercise caution with regard to wat is written there.

TRE viciously stabbed WP in the past. Be aware of what they are capable of doing.

To be fair, TRE doesn't seem to be attacking the Worker's Party as much as before.
I suspect the individuals that were attacking the Worker's Party have moved on to Temasek Times.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, TRE doesn't seem to be attacking the Worker's Party as much as before.
I suspect the individuals that were attacking the Worker's Party have moved on to Temasek Times.

Until we have another GE or BE, we shall see if TRE has really changed.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its the usual crap from those who cant win anything complain about those who won something and insist of sharing.

Why cant it bve the other way? WP be the MP and SDP run the town council?

oh Yeah, I forgot.... SDP think they are too highclass and too glam to get down and dirty for the voters and is concerned that the international " nothing to do people " would laugh at SDP for throwing rubblish and cleaning car parks.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dude, just follow the discussion here: http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?135627-Opposition-unity-is-a-madman-s-notion instead of bringing up this bullshit again.

There's already more than enough points brought up in there to show why with the current state of Singapore opposition parties, 'opposition unity' will be more harmful than helpful.

I don't think opposition unity is harmful. It's just impossible. No matter how good WP is, there will always be at least one party besides PAP and WP.

Even if WP kneel down for 100 years and successfully beg NSP/SDP/SDA/SPP/RP/DPP to merge with them, someone somewhere will form a party and fill the third party gap. Based on the law of probability, there are enough people among 3 million Singaporeans to do that.

Rather than hope for the impossible, it is better to look forward to 2 or 3 major parties.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rather than hope for the impossible, it is better to look forward to 2 or 3 major parties.

it's not even possible on sbf! :p

the pap must be given some kudos for at least getting their members in line and duking it out together in unison. it's tough to keep sinkies unified, and lky has done quite a fabulous job knuckledusting everyone into submission. ltk is not far behind that model. he's able to keep wp members in check and toeing party lines, except for one who goes around knocking up cunts. sinkies need a strong figure to unite them. otherwise, they run amok like the trade federation in star wars. and to counter that, a clone army would be needed. :biggrin:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think folks here are thinking too many steps ahead.

We need the opposition to win more seats first. And dismantle the outdated idea that opposition is inherently radical or risky.

Only when Parliamentary presence is firmly established can we talk about cooperation, coalition, and other ideas.

The problem is too many people try to jump the gun and in so doing, derail what they are trying to achieve in the first place. LTK took 20 years to take down a GRC, from the time he won HG in 1991. That's patience and persistence for you. I wonder how can so many opposition leaders miss out that simple fact.

jw5

Loyal
I think folks here are thinking too many steps ahead.

We need the opposition to win more seats first. And dismantle the outdated idea that opposition is inherently radical or risky.

Only when Parliamentary presence is firmly established can we talk about cooperation, coalition, and other ideas.

The problem is too many people try to jump the gun and in so doing, derail what they are trying to achieve in the first place. LTK took 20 years to take down a GRC, from the time he won HG in 1991. That's patience and persistence for you. I wonder how can so many opposition leaders miss out that simple fact.

Doesn't help the opposition when people start threads like the one below just weeks before the GE.

Oh and it doesn't help the opposition when people make bogus claims that LTK (whom you say took 20 years to take down a GRC) is a pap agent either.

And the guy who did both of these things: Manipulative Motherfucker Scroobal!

http://singsupplies.com/showthread.php?89550-The-Chen-Show-Mao-Affair

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP led by Chee started with 2 seats in parliament. After 21 years and repeated failed attempts due to misplaced strategies and the failure to engage with voters only have themselves to blame.

In 1991, led by Chiam it was the best placed political party. WP was far behind. When Chee took over, he did so at the peak of the party's popularity.

After 18 years, it was lost, disenfranchised from the voters and ended up with small group of interesting souls. In the run-up to GE2011, they made the a move to accept newbies and disgruntled opposition members from other parties. This interestingly turned out to be good move. A new spring perhaps.

Then the new CEC line-up sent a clear message and the Punggol BE made it very clear.

Let see what happens in Clementi in 2016.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP has a fairytale Foreign Policy based only on human rights and nothing else. It believes in no defence.
How to have unity.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, start a thread on opposition unity and you draw out the entire WP IB. And their common target? Not the PAP, but the SDP. Makes you wonder why.

G'luck. Hope you thrive in this fascist environment.