• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

OracleMasia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top 5 New Property Launch GimmicksSINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 3Gimmick 1: Gather a crowdWhen it comes to buying big ticket items likeproperties, no one wants to be a guinea pig.The traffic in the sales gallery is athermometer to measure the popularity of aproject. Seeing people turning up in drovescan reassure potential buyers that they aremost probably making the right choice.It is therefore the job of the marketing agentto ensure the following at the sales gallery, atleast during the first weekend of a newlaunch:1. Fill up the temporary carpark to make itlook full2. Draw a crowd of enthusiastic propertyagents waiting outside3. Have a few groups of eager buyersoccupying the discussion tablesWhen a local developer launched a propertyin the east in mid-2011, instead of using theusual industry practice of balloting for thesequence to pick a flat, their marketing agentasked interested buyers to line up in front ofthe sales gallery.On the day before the actual launch, close tothree hundred people joined the queue.There were students, retirees and propertyagents napping, snacking and playing cardsin the queue to kill time. Such a scene madepassers-by wonder whether the crowd reallyconsisted of genuine buyers, or just parttimersbeing paid to fake how hot the newproject was.By coincidence, it was the beginning of theschool holidays in June. So was it thepopularity of the project, or simply theattractiveness of the incentives?SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 4Gimmick 2: Create urgencyIt is the marketing agent's job to constantlyremind interested parties that units are sellingfast, and that all units are going to be sold outsoon.There is usually a huge banner hanging at aprominent place in front of the sales gallerythat says '80 percent sold'. The headline in alocal paper reads '70 percent sold on the firstday'.However, some key information may beconveniently missing, including:1. The planned number of phases for theproject launch2. How many units are actually released ineach phaseThe full statement should probably be:1. '80 percent of 50 units sold in phase oneout of five phases'; and2. '70 percent sold on first day after 60percent of units already taken up by VIPsbefore launch'When customers ask about the next batch ofunits for launch, sales representatives mayhint that subsequent phases will offer unitswith poorer view or lower quality finishings,despite the fact that they are sold at higherprices.Here is the truth: Developers tend to push theless desirable blocks or units to the marketfirst. These units may present an averageview, face the west sun or have an awkwardlayout.There is a philosophy behind this: If they cansell units which are most difficult to move,SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 5the rest of the better units can definitely besold, and at higher prices. The tactic is knownas 'save the best for last'.Biggest discounts go to… the last fewbuyersYou may be surprised to hear this. But thebiggest discount is often not the one offeredto the first batch of buyers, but the one givento the last few takers. The reasons are many:1. The market situation may have changed2. The developer may feel that they havemade enough profit for the units sold3. The marketing agent may find it too muchwork to continue running the sales gallery4. The last few units left may be the lessdesirable onesSometimes there is really not muchadvantage for the early birds who buy earlierthan others. Besides gathering a crowd thereand creating the urgency to buy, there areother marketing gimmicks you may findfamiliar at a new launch.Gimmick 3: Make some noiseTo draw the attention of potential buyers,media coverage is a better alternative thanadvertising. It sounds more convincing andalso helps to save money.The public relations department of propertydevelopers knows when to feed the rightstories to the journalists, for example a mediareport or a rumor that a celebrity, an investoror a government official just bought one unitat the sales gallery.People all want to be seen having the sameforesight as the experts in propertySINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 6investment or the big names in their ownfields. Thus the release of these stories worksto motivate other buyers to follow suit.In order to wow the readers, the media has atendency to pick up only unusual cases. Anamateur investor may have just bought aplace at a ridiculously high price. Or oneparticular buyer has decided to buy a flat witha unique design, facing or location regardlessof the asking price.An inevitable conclusion is that prices in theproperty market have just set new highs. Theobvious connotation for potential buyers is totake action now before prices jump again.Gimmick 4: Dangle the carrotGoodies given away at the sales gallery are acatalyst to close deals. Be it fee absorption,furniture vouchers, furnishing packages, orbranded appliances, they are attractiveconcessions in the eyes of potential buyers.Never mind the fact that such offers are justpeanuts compared with the price of theproperty.Tempted buyers are often unaware that thevalue of these goodies can easily be offset bya slight drop in the property’s market value. Itis therefore more practical to get animmediate discount off the list price. Ask thesales representative the estimated cost ofthat branded appliance or furnishing package,then request for a direct deduction from theunit’s asking price in lieu of the developer’sgoodie.Some properties are sold with 'guaranteedrental return'. It is a scheme that promisesowners a fixed percentage of the property’sprice as rental income, regardless of theactual rental income, or whether the propertyis rented out in the first few years.SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 7This tactic is usually deployed to move unitsin high-end condominiums. The rental incomecan be seen as a form of discount off the listprice.'Guaranteed rental return' is different fromearning rental income from actual tenantsover the years. Since the amount given hasactually been factored into the price, one canalso argue that buyers are actually paying fortheir guaranteed rental amount in advance.Strictly speaking, the party who benefits mostfrom giving away the carrot is probably thedeveloper itself. It is because these goodiesare usually offered when the market starts tocool down so that developers are able tomove properties off the shelves withoutlowering the price.Gimmick 5: Promise a good returnOnce the sales representatives know that youare buying the property for investment, theymay claim that their units can be rented out ata certain market rate.There are two ways to check the validity:1. Do your own research.Go to the Urban Redevelopment Authoritywebsite to check the latest published figureson ‘Rentals of Private Residential Properties’.Find a similar unit in a nearby project that isrelatively new. Check the range of monthlyrent to see whether the numbers given aretoo optimistic.SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 82. Do some mystery shopping.Respond to the rental listings of new projectsin the same district to check the popularity ofproperties for rent there.The sales representative may claim that theirunits offer an attractive rental return of acertain percentage. It is not difficult tocalculate the net monthly ROI (Return onInvestment) on your own.ROI = (monthly rental - loan repayment –maintenance fee - property tax) x 12 ÷ initialinvestmentOnce I stepped into a sales gallery where thesalesperson spoke confidently that their unitsoffered a minimum of five percent rentalreturn. But after I did my sums, the cash-oncashreturn was actually less than onepercent.Next time before you walk into a sales gallery,remember to do your homework first. When itcomes to property investment, ignorance canbe very expensive.By Property Soul, a successful propertyinvestor and enthusiast who shares herexperiences and knowledge on her blog.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think you're a genuine nice guy, bro. keep sharing, the forum is for open discussion!

Haha sure no prob. I will be out of action for a while from the forum, as I will be overseas for 2 weeks. Will miss you guys!

Anyway just to share, my car was rear-ended by another car on the SLE yesterday. A suspicious car in front of me e-braked without brake light. I managed to e-brake in time, but the guy behind me was not so lucky. Within 2 mins, another car stopped & a car mechanic said he could help me to repair & claim against the other guy. Drive carefully on the SG expressways. Many suspicious cases...Haiz.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is credit bureau rating report?

Issit something that we must provide? Thought only income statement required?

They will usually want to have this. They have no access to Singapore banks info, so they will want this report that only you can generate for yourself. Better pay up all bills on time to get AAAAAA rating. I got little bit less than perfect score because of a few overlooked late payments.:biggrin:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top 5 New Property Launch GimmicksSINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 3Gimmick 1: Gather a crowdWhen it comes to buying big ticket items likeproperties, no one wants to be a guinea pig.The traffic in the sales gallery is athermometer to measure the popularity of aproject. Seeing people turning up in drovescan reassure potential buyers that they aremost probably making the right choice.It is therefore the job of the marketing agentto ensure the following at the sales gallery, atleast during the first weekend of a newlaunch:1. Fill up the temporary carpark to make itlook full2. Draw a crowd of enthusiastic propertyagents waiting outside3. Have a few groups of eager buyersoccupying the discussion tablesWhen a local developer launched a propertyin the east in mid-2011, instead of using theusual industry practice of balloting for thesequence to pick a flat, their marketing agentasked interested buyers to line up in front ofthe sales gallery.On the day before the actual launch, close tothree hundred people joined the queue.There were students, retirees and propertyagents napping, snacking and playing cardsin the queue to kill time. Such a scene madepassers-by wonder whether the crowd reallyconsisted of genuine buyers, or just parttimersbeing paid to fake how hot the newproject was.By coincidence, it was the beginning of theschool holidays in June. So was it thepopularity of the project, or simply theattractiveness of the incentives?SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 4Gimmick 2: Create urgencyIt is the marketing agent's job to constantlyremind interested parties that units are sellingfast, and that all units are going to be sold outsoon.There is usually a huge banner hanging at aprominent place in front of the sales gallerythat says '80 percent sold'. The headline in alocal paper reads '70 percent sold on the firstday'.However, some key information may beconveniently missing, including:1. The planned number of phases for theproject launch2. How many units are actually released ineach phaseThe full statement should probably be:1. '80 percent of 50 units sold in phase oneout of five phases'; and2. '70 percent sold on first day after 60percent of units already taken up by VIPsbefore launch'When customers ask about the next batch ofunits for launch, sales representatives mayhint that subsequent phases will offer unitswith poorer view or lower quality finishings,despite the fact that they are sold at higherprices.Here is the truth: Developers tend to push theless desirable blocks or units to the marketfirst. These units may present an averageview, face the west sun or have an awkwardlayout.There is a philosophy behind this: If they cansell units which are most difficult to move,SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 5the rest of the better units can definitely besold, and at higher prices. The tactic is knownas 'save the best for last'.Biggest discounts go to… the last fewbuyersYou may be surprised to hear this. But thebiggest discount is often not the one offeredto the first batch of buyers, but the one givento the last few takers. The reasons are many:1. The market situation may have changed2. The developer may feel that they havemade enough profit for the units sold3. The marketing agent may find it too muchwork to continue running the sales gallery4. The last few units left may be the lessdesirable onesSometimes there is really not muchadvantage for the early birds who buy earlierthan others. Besides gathering a crowd thereand creating the urgency to buy, there areother marketing gimmicks you may findfamiliar at a new launch.Gimmick 3: Make some noiseTo draw the attention of potential buyers,media coverage is a better alternative thanadvertising. It sounds more convincing andalso helps to save money.The public relations department of propertydevelopers knows when to feed the rightstories to the journalists, for example a mediareport or a rumor that a celebrity, an investoror a government official just bought one unitat the sales gallery.People all want to be seen having the sameforesight as the experts in propertySINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 6investment or the big names in their ownfields. Thus the release of these stories worksto motivate other buyers to follow suit.In order to wow the readers, the media has atendency to pick up only unusual cases. Anamateur investor may have just bought aplace at a ridiculously high price. Or oneparticular buyer has decided to buy a flat witha unique design, facing or location regardlessof the asking price.An inevitable conclusion is that prices in theproperty market have just set new highs. Theobvious connotation for potential buyers is totake action now before prices jump again.Gimmick 4: Dangle the carrotGoodies given away at the sales gallery are acatalyst to close deals. Be it fee absorption,furniture vouchers, furnishing packages, orbranded appliances, they are attractiveconcessions in the eyes of potential buyers.Never mind the fact that such offers are justpeanuts compared with the price of theproperty.Tempted buyers are often unaware that thevalue of these goodies can easily be offset bya slight drop in the property’s market value. Itis therefore more practical to get animmediate discount off the list price. Ask thesales representative the estimated cost ofthat branded appliance or furnishing package,then request for a direct deduction from theunit’s asking price in lieu of the developer’sgoodie.Some properties are sold with 'guaranteedrental return'. It is a scheme that promisesowners a fixed percentage of the property’sprice as rental income, regardless of theactual rental income, or whether the propertyis rented out in the first few years.SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 7This tactic is usually deployed to move unitsin high-end condominiums. The rental incomecan be seen as a form of discount off the listprice.'Guaranteed rental return' is different fromearning rental income from actual tenantsover the years. Since the amount given hasactually been factored into the price, one canalso argue that buyers are actually paying fortheir guaranteed rental amount in advance.Strictly speaking, the party who benefits mostfrom giving away the carrot is probably thedeveloper itself. It is because these goodiesare usually offered when the market starts tocool down so that developers are able tomove properties off the shelves withoutlowering the price.Gimmick 5: Promise a good returnOnce the sales representatives know that youare buying the property for investment, theymay claim that their units can be rented out ata certain market rate.There are two ways to check the validity:1. Do your own research.Go to the Urban Redevelopment Authoritywebsite to check the latest published figureson ‘Rentals of Private Residential Properties’.Find a similar unit in a nearby project that isrelatively new. Check the range of monthlyrent to see whether the numbers given aretoo optimistic.SINGAPORE PROPERTY WEEKLY Issue 129Back to Contents Page | 82. Do some mystery shopping.Respond to the rental listings of new projectsin the same district to check the popularity ofproperties for rent there.The sales representative may claim that theirunits offer an attractive rental return of acertain percentage. It is not difficult tocalculate the net monthly ROI (Return onInvestment) on your own.ROI = (monthly rental - loan repayment –maintenance fee - property tax) x 12 ÷ initialinvestmentOnce I stepped into a sales gallery where thesalesperson spoke confidently that their unitsoffered a minimum of five percent rentalreturn. But after I did my sums, the cash-oncashreturn was actually less than onepercent.Next time before you walk into a sales gallery,remember to do your homework first. When itcomes to property investment, ignorance canbe very expensive.By Property Soul, a successful propertyinvestor and enthusiast who shares herexperiences and knowledge on her blog.

there is a reason why people invented "paragraphs" and this post reaffirms it. gave up after three lines. umm. link please?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha sure no prob. I will be out of action for a while from the forum, as I will be overseas for 2 weeks. Will miss you guys!

Anyway just to share, my car was rear-ended by another car on the SLE yesterday. A suspicious car in front of me e-braked without brake light. I managed to e-brake in time, but the guy behind me was not so lucky. Within 2 mins, another car stopped & a car mechanic said he could help me to repair & claim against the other guy. Drive carefully on the SG expressways. Many suspicious cases...Haiz.

get the VIN no of the car that e braked in front and report to insurance co and TP.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
get the VIN no of the car that e braked in front and report to insurance co and TP.

Too late liao. The car drove off before I could take a pic, since it wasn't hit by me. Anyway, it's hard without proof/camera. No wonder there are so many accidents on SLE/CTE, many of which should be similar to my case, i.e. car in front e-braked without brake lights....

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too late liao. The car drove off before I could take a pic, since it wasn't hit by me. Anyway, it's hard without proof/camera. No wonder there are so many accidents on SLE/CTE, many of which should be similar to my case, i.e. car in front e-braked without brake lights....

At least it is just an accident in Spore.
In Malaysia, you just got to be a bit careful especially if it on a quiet road. If it is suspicious, don't stop. Wave to the back driver to keep on driving normally until you see more people. There's no difference between stopping immediately and stopping after 10 minutes to access your damage when it is a small accident.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Look like those out to stage a accident claim haiz.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would we print this out for the loan application.
Shouldn't the banks be doing this?

Do Malaysian banks require your credit history? Even from Singapore?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would we print this out for the loan application.
Shouldn't the banks be doing this?

Do Malaysian banks require your credit history? Even from Singapore?

I was told that some banks do require it, because otherwise no way to ascertain credit worthiness. At least that's what I understand. MY banks and Singapore banks not so buddy-buddy? But if your bank ask just give lor, otherwise you may wonder why application approval never seem to come.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least it is just an accident in Spore.
In Malaysia, you just got to be a bit careful especially if it on a quiet road. If it is suspicious, don't stop. Wave to the back driver to keep on driving normally until you see more people. There's no difference between stopping immediately and stopping after 10 minutes to access your damage when it is a small accident.

Yup yup....My Malaysian born insurance agent advised to go straight to police station, unless the other party is really injured till jialat jialat.... More & more cases of staged accidents on SG expressways, esp in afternoon/evening onwards....

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Soon more airlines flying out from senai airport.

Citilink Indonesia keen to operate four new air routes to Johor

NUSAJAYA: The Johor government has received an application from Citilink, an Indonesian low-cost airlines, to operate four air routes from the republic to the Senai International Airport, the State Assembly was told today.

State Tourism Committee, Cooperatives and Consumerism Committee chairman Datuk Tee Siew Kiong said the routes were Bandung-Johor Baharu, Surabaya-Johor Baharu, Denpasar-Johor Baharu and Medan-Johor Baharu.

"The round-trip flights only could attract more tourists to the state as they will make the Senai Airport a major tourist gateway to Johor and Malaysia and turn Johor Baharu into a major aviation hub in southern Malaysia," he said when replying to a question from M.Asojan (BN-Gambir).

Tee said the state government and the Johor Tourism Department would discuss the request with the Transport Ministry, Department of Aviation, Senai Airport Terminal Services, Malaysia Airlines, and Johor Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA).

Apart from Citilink, he said the Johor government had held talks with Indonesia AirAsia to operate from the Senai International Airport and was awaiting a response from the aviation authorities.

He said the state government had also held meetings with other airlines, including All Nippon Airways, Korea Air and Cebu-Philippine Airlines on the possibility of providing charter services for tourists. -- BERNAMA