• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see the problem as more serious. It is not just Singapore manufacturing but pretty a similar ugly picture for manufacturing around the world. Just look up manufacturing data or new factory orders from Europe, China, India and pretty much everywhere for the last 6 months.

Singapore's data has the volatile pharmaceutical sector to fudge things. If one starts looking at the components of the non oil exports, the picture is much less rosy than the aggregated statistic suggest.

Yes, I agree that the picture is not pretty.

Many countries are using currency depreciation as a means to gain trade advantages with Japan being the latest one. I would not be surprised if India will also be following the route.

Singapore's strategy is to keep the currency strong so that investments piling up here continue to use it as a safe haven.

Too bad for exporters and manufacturers who are supporting industries outside Singapore.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see the problem as more serious. It is not just Singapore manufacturing but pretty a similar ugly picture for manufacturing around the world. Just look up manufacturing data or new factory orders from Europe, China, India and pretty much everywhere for the last 6 months.

Singapore's data has the volatile pharmaceutical sector to fudge things. If one starts looking at the components of the non oil exports, the picture is much less rosy than the aggregated statistic suggest.

Yes, I agree that the picture is not pretty.

Many countries are using currency depreciation as a means to gain trade advantages with Japan being the latest one. I would not be surprised if India will also be following the route.

Singapore's strategy is to keep the currency strong so that investments piling up here continue to use it as a safe haven.

Too bad for exporters and manufacturers who are supporting industries outside Singapore.

pockaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will second that opinion! :smile:

Just look at what happened to Penang after the last election for reference.

I do think the rate of development in Iskandar Johor will go into higher gear almost immediately. They will ride the Iskandar project and maximise political brownie points. What better still when the foundations are already laid out on a nice (probably not silver) plate by the previous administation for you?

FDI is a sizable contributor to the GDP. It is in nobody's interests to do a about-turn and dampen the FDI environment. It is a cash cow. There is evidence of a global manufacturing glut and excess capacities. The recessionary conditions of the western economies are just going to add more downside pressure to manufacturing. Since you can't export your way to prosperity, FDI becomes even more important in the growth game.

Already since 2008, there has been intense competition at the state level as to who is drawing the most FDI into Malaysia. Penang has been beating their chest about their contribution to FDI hence growth of Malaysia. Obviously Iskandar Johor is not to be kept down. They also have been patting themselves on their backs to Putrajaya too.

Raising the floor limit to 1 mil RM for foreigners to buy properties in Johor is almost a given. Not if, but a matter of when. The "when" might come sooner than you think. It will be politically expedient for the incumbent to show its voters something has been done to address the escalation of housing prices. No doubt the lines between the two tier market will be much more evident. The local market and the foreigner market. There potentially might be a huge price distortion within the foreigner market itself.

We just need to bear in mind while all this is hunky dory, one must not forget the faster this booms, the faster the lines of social and income inequality comes up clearer. As long as there is a broad based growth in the country I guess it is ok.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just look at what happened to Penang after the last election for reference.

I do think the rate of development in Iskandar Johor will go into higher gear almost immediately. They will ride the Iskandar project and maximise political brownie points. What better still when the foundations are already laid out on a nice (probably not silver) plate by the previous administation for you?

FDI is a sizable contributor to the GDP. It is in nobody's interests to do a about-turn and dampen the FDI environment. It is a cash cow. There is evidence of a global manufacturing glut and excess capacities. The recessionary conditions of the western economies are just going to add more downside pressure to manufacturing. Since you can't export your way to prosperity, FDI becomes even more important in the growth game.

Already since 2008, there has been intense competition at the state level as to who is drawing the most FDI into Malaysia. Penang has been beating their chest about their contribution to FDI hence growth of Malaysia. Obviously Iskandar Johor is not to be kept down. They also have been patting themselves on their backs to Putrajaya too.

Raising the floor limit to 1 mil RM for foreigners to buy properties in Johor is almost a given. Not if, but a matter of when. The "when" might come sooner than you think. It will be politically expedient for the incumbent to show its voters something has been done to address the escalation of housing prices. No doubt the lines between the two tier market will be much more evident. The local market and the foreigner market. There potentially might be a huge price distortion within the foreigner market itself.

We just need to bear in mind while all this is hunky dory, one must not forget the faster this booms, the faster the lines of social and income inequality comes up clearer. As long as there is a broad based growth in the country I guess it is ok.

I think a more likely case will be an increase on the state levy than the floor limit. If it goes above 1 m you will loose a big market it will not help much unless the local salaries brings a majority to that market range. The gov can put criteria on township dev like 1000 units of low cost housing. That will be more effective to help the locals.

pockaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think a more likely case will be an increase on the state levy than the floor limit. If it goes above 1 m you will loose a big market it will not help much unless the local salaries brings a majority to that market range. The gov can put criteria on township dev like 1000 units of low cost housing. That will be more effective to help the locals.

I hope your call turns out correct. Better still if no changes to current policies. Because the developments are so focussed on southern johor. A north south divide will emerge. I would like to see a more broad based development across the State. Agree that there are many ways to skin the cat. Obviously politicians being politicians, they will do whatever that gives the greatest political mileage and/or personal gains.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting, looks like the car is parked in private lift lobby of the apartment and within enclosed space, separated by glass doors..like that won't the car exhaust fumes seep into the apartment? Poisonous leh..

I sure hope the highrise car park space is well ventilated. Otherwise, the lift mechanism should allow for moving the car with engine off once in the lift.

Thank you for the points too!

Last edited:

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is certainly a concern and risk for investors. The global economy is such it seems only largely Asia is providing some growth impetus for world economy. If the Asian pillar also buckles, then the whole world could slip back into recession. The consoling factor is that every country on this planet wants and is making serious efforts to revive and sustain growth but let's hope each country does not adopt the beggar thy neigbour or race to the bottom policies.

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope your call turns out correct. Better still if no changes to current policies. Because the developments are so focussed on southern johor. A north south divide will emerge. I would like to see a more broad based development across the State. Agree that there are many ways to skin the cat. Obviously politicians being politicians, they will do whatever that gives the greatest political mileage and/or personal gains.

IMHO, the focus on Southern Johor is deliberate; at least from BN's perspective.

We know that Peninsular Malaysia is the main recipient of Government funds when compared with Sabah and Sarawak. And if you further analyse the growth concentration, Kuala Lumpur is already over-invested. Logically, they would not pour more into Penang since it is opposition-held. So where else but Johor.

If the opposition takes over, then it will be even more important for them to put up a good show since Iskandar is really the crown jewels for BN.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is certainly a concern and risk for investors. The global economy is such it seems only largely Asia is providing some growth impetus for world economy. If the Asian pillar also buckles, then the whole world could slip back into recession. The consoling factor is that every country on this planet wants and is making serious efforts to revive and sustain growth but let's hope each country does not adopt the beggar thy neigbour or race to the bottom policies.

It is really musical chairs. Quantitative easing in the West, where else but Asia to park the money. Once the crisis in Europe recedes, it will be problems for Asia then.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, the focus on Southern Johor is deliberate; at least from BN's perspective.

We know that Peninsular Malaysia is the main recipient of Government funds when compared with Sabah and Sarawak. And if you further analyse the growth concentration, Kuala Lumpur is already over-invested. Logically, they would not pour more into Penang since it is opposition-held. So where else but Johor.

If the opposition takes over, then it will be even more important for them to put up a good show since Iskandar is really the crown jewels for BN.

If Johore falls looks like PAS will be the state govt not DAP or PKR. I think iskandar finished.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is really musical chairs. Quantitative easing in the West, where else but Asia to park the money. Once the crisis in Europe recedes, it will be problems for Asia then.

Such uncertainties have put me off investments for more than a year as I find it very difficult to grasp how the game is evolving after taking some hits. Today is slightly better with clearer picture and improved stability, nevertheless risks still quite high. Only make some defensive investment lately.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sure hope the highrise car park space is well ventilated. Otherwise, the lift mechanism should allow for moving the car with engine off once in the lift.

Thank you for the points too!

Really got such mechanism? Last time tried out the car lift in building near OG People's park and need to drive the car in and out of the lift..

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Msia stocks went up this few days leh, isn't that a good sign that things will be rosy haha?

Heard Pakatan coordinated campaigns were lacking in Johor which is vital for Pakatan taking putrajaya. Only DAP pushing very hard. If things not improving for Pakatan on the reamaining days, Pakatan could be in for a disappointing outcome in Johor at least.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would have been to happy show you the "nottiboy" way before I became a father. but fatherhood changes everything. am quite a good boy these days. maybe one day when my baby making days are over...

anyway, I wanna weigh in on Iskandar from an economic angle. i am skeptical of the various industrial parks they intend to set up. where is the labour gonna come from? are they gonna allow banglas and indons to come work in the factories? with few restrictions? Johoreans are getting quite wealthy these days. I am beginning to see some of the "laziness" that comes with increased wealth. As of now, I suspect the supply of labour will be an obstacle for a successful industrial story. I am really curious to see the industries that eventually set up in the industrial parks.

Would really love to make your acquaintance eventhough am still stuck at amatuer level but you are in the top of the premier league ..

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would have been to happy show you the "nottiboy" way before I became a father. but fatherhood changes everything. am quite a good boy these days. maybe one day when my baby making days are over...

anyway, I wanna weigh in on Iskandar from an economic angle. i am skeptical of the various industrial parks they intend to set up. where is the labour gonna come from? are they gonna allow banglas and indons to come work in the factories? with few restrictions? Johoreans are getting quite wealthy these days. I am beginning to see some of the "laziness" that comes with increased wealth. As of now, I suspect the supply of labour will be an obstacle for a successful industrial story. I am really curious to see the industries that eventually set up in the industrial parks.

Just look at the traffic at the links during rush hour and you figure how many are working in Singapore. The idea of setting up industries in johor due to high cost in Singapore is not new. How to get local labour and talents will be a challange. If salaries are too low they will head to Singapore.

I see more and more SPR heading back to jb or at least buying properties. So there is already a clear trend jb is becomimg a housing estate for those working in Singapore. Industries that support or services the estate will now have a place, perphaps good daycare, primary and seconday private school will make good business.