• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

National Service in Singapore

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know that in detail. YSL is of course one confirmed case since himself declared. He's a medic. There're others too but rare. Most want to finish off NSF and reservist liabilities a.s.a.p. including yours truly. The first thing I do when I got out of police was to apply for exit permit to go US before the first reservist cycle begins. (Regulars have reservist cycles to serve too unless having served 13 years as full-time regulars, then exempted.)

The exit permit and disruption were easy to get when you know a CMPB EPO officer. She just countersigned and stamped whatever I wrote on the application form and forwarded back to my police division. Then I became unitless and free to travel anywhere without needing to worry about reservist callups.

Wise of you to do what's forced on you. I wonder why YSL volunteered for an extension. But I guess he is an exemption rather than the norm. I think most SG guys wld be happy to be rid of NS..there is really no true support for NS esp when it burdened the competitiveness of local guys because employers wld prefer non-NS laible guys.

The pap has to reconcile this anomaly

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wise of you to do what's forced on you. I wonder why YSL volunteered for an extension. But I guess he is an exemption rather than the norm. I think most SG guys wld be happy to be rid of NS..there is really no true support for NS esp when it burdened the competitiveness of local guys because employers wld prefer non-NS laible guys.

The pap has to reconcile this anomaly

I actually enjoyed the training. The firearms and unarmed combat. :wink:

I only wish I could remain in Police Academy all my life with all my buddies in the bunks and almost cried on passing out parade and packing up to leave. Just a weekend bookout will do. Going out on the streets was different stuff, but it's the real stuff of blood and bones that makes boys men.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I actually enjoyed the training. The firearms and unarmed combat. :wink:

I only wish I could remain in Police Academy all my life with all my buddies in the bunks and almost cried on passing out parade and packing up to leave. Just a weekend bookout will do. Going out on the streets was different stuff, but it's the real stuff of blood and bones that makes boys men.

good to hear that you enjoyed it. ever thought of signing on as a regular?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ohhh...no wonder u enjoyed it...

Most regulars in my days were branded poodles, whether police or army. It's easy to brand us but what could we do if family was short on income? The rich men's sons could just do it for S$200 for 2 years and forget it. Our families needed the income, we must sign 5 to 6 years to get at least S$1,000 regular pay those days.

If not for NS enforcement, I'd have nothing to with police or army. But since I chose police, I enjoyed the experience there, there're no regrets.

If without NS enforcement, I'd just go live my life normally and find a normal job.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was a regular, but to be frank, I wouldn't have signed on if there wasn't NS enforcement.

thanks for being frank..can I say that you probably signed on to escape NS because if u dont sign on for 5 or 6years, u wld have to do 2.5years NS? I think that was a wise move on your part. i know of people who contemplated signing on in the SPF too because they dont want to do NS in the Army..I dont think you relish being an infantry guy for 2.5yrs NSF and 13 yr NSmen

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most regulars in my days were branded poodles, whether police or army. It's easy to brand us but what could we do if family was short on income? The rich men's sons could just do it for S$200 for 2 years and forget it. Our family needed the income, we must sign 5 to 6 years to get at least S$1,000 regular pay those days.

If not for NS enforcement, I'd have nothing to with police or army. But since I chose police, I enjoyed the experience there, there're no regrets.

ic...they are still being called poodles...because they are actually running dogs

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know that in detail. YSL is of course one confirmed case since himself declared. He's a medic. There're others too but rare. Most want to finish off NSF and reservist liabilities a.s.a.p. including yours truly. The first thing I do when I got out of police was to apply for exit permit to go US before the first reservist cycle begins. (Regulars have reservist cycles to serve too unless having served 13 years as full-time regulars, then exempted.)

The exit permit and disruption were easy to get when you know a CMPB EPO officer. She just countersigned and stamped whatever I wrote on the application form and forwarded back to my police division. Then I became unitless and free to travel anywhere without needing to worry about reservist callups.

387760_190170234411066_100002542727275_354183_1682566324_n.jpg

Yaw need to know NS is a waste of time and its better to have professional doin it

SaboKing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tracy, what's the use of NS when the floodgates are already opened. It's a free for all now. Unfortunately, locals are at the wrong end of the stick.

Singapore guys think NS is a badge of honour and they are proud of it. But no PR guy want to do NS and will willingly renounce their PR and return to their motherland. I have come across so many PRs who did so. So who is the stupid one?

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taiwan to reduce length of military service

TAIPEI: Taiwan will reduce compulsory military service from one year to four months, the defence ministry said on Wednesday, in what is widely seen as a first step towards scrapping conscription altogether.

Benefiting from improved ties with mainland China, the island's young men will have to spend shorter time in uniform beginning from early 2015, after parliament passed an amendment to the conscription law late Tuesday, it said.

"We are gradually introducing a professional military, so there will be no holes in our defence capabilities," said David Lo, the defence ministry's spokesman.

The ministry plans to eventually maintain a permanent professional military of 215,000 soldiers, down from 275,000 conscripted and professional soldiers at present, he said.

Phasing out conscription was a campaign pledge by President Ma Ying-jeou in the 2008 election and he has stressed that a "small, elite and strong" voluntary military rather than conscription is best for the island's defence.

Taiwan's relatively large army is a legacy of decades of tensions with China, which still regards the island as part of its territory awaiting reunification, even though the two sides split in 1949 after a civil war.

However, ties have improved markedly since Ma took office three years ago on a Beijing-friendly platform. He is running for a second four-year term in January.

- AFP/de

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore guys think NS is a badge of honour and they are proud of it. But no PR guy want to do NS and will willingly renounce their PR and return to their motherland. I have come across so many PRs who did so. So who is the stupid one?

lianbeng replies, "when there's a war and singapore kana attacked by foreigners, u expect PRs to protect us?":confused:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
387760_190170234411066_100002542727275_354183_1682566324_n.jpg

Yaw need to know NS is a waste of time and its better to have professional doin it

is the SAF effective with so many unmotivated and abused NSFs and NSmen. I think it is not...so i agree that it is a waste of time and also an abuse of SG guys

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tracy, what's the use of NS when the floodgates are already opened. It's a free for all now. Unfortunately, locals are at the wrong end of the stick.

I agree with you. with the influx of cheap foreign labour, NS is an unnecessary double blow