• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Singapore Opposition Talented ???

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
then clearly the beliefs of SDP doesn't really resonate well amongst the peoples, does it? :biggrin:

I cannot speak for others. For myself, I will not vote for them. Much as I believe in the concept of an alternative government for today's singapore.

They positioned themselves in the extreme end and thus will be attractive to those group of voters.

A political party must position at the middle in order to get votes from both sides of the spectrum.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I cannot speak for others.

the rising spikes from the costs of living have been making things rather uncomfortable in the rear, especially for those siting on the fence... :p

as for myself, radical movements doesn't really appeal to me much either. :p

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot speak for others. For myself, I will not vote for them. Much as I believe in the concept of an alternative government for today's singapore.

They positioned themselves in the extreme end and thus will be attractive to those group of voters.

A political party must position at the middle in order to get votes from both sides of the spectrum.

Since when is championing Singapore's Constitution and the National Pledge that call for freedoms of speech, assembly and expression and for the creation of a democratic society, considered "extreme"??

By the way how to "get votes" when half of the voters are denied their right to vote in every GE by a department that stages elections to "fix" the opposition and "engineer" the results in favour of the fascist dictatorial PAP??

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's say that what you say is true.

If the situation is reversed, the SDP will also do that to their opposition. This is the nature of politics.

Do you think that LKY will sit there and say the dice is loaded against us, therefore we cannot win. It is all the SDP's fault? The election is rigged. SDP sued the pants off us. Therefore, conclude LKY, that's the reason.

Believe me when I say that LKY is made of far more realistic stuff.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
most of them are just ordinary folks that will ruin the country if elected to important positions.
its also not just the talent but they do need guidance but no one else but the PAP has experience

What experience did the PAP have when it first came to power in 1959?? Go take a look at the slate of PAP MPs then. Most of them were just ordinary folks.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although we dun like this, but the sad truth is the reality. The opposition try and try to remove the present govt but none of them besides S Lim maybe are able to come up with concrete plans to run the country. they will definitely ruin the country if they take over. Just look at our neighbours and you can see how much damage incapable leaders can do to the country.

This is pure nonsense. The oppositions couldn't even filled up enough candidates to contest 3/4 of the seats in the last GE. They are aiming to represent the people to give them a voice and to run the town councils only. No opposition parties were campaigning for governing S'pore although they had presented their manifestoes to the people.

What plans do Ng Eng Hen, Raymond Lim, Grace Foo etc have when they joined PAP? Nothing, because everything is in the manifesto. Ruling party governs with help of the civil service.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since when is championing Singapore's Constitution and the National Pledge that call for freedoms of speech, assembly and expression and for the creation of a democratic society, considered "extreme"??...

Let me now answer this point, perhaps not to your satisfaction but it is the best i can do.

(1) Championing free speech can never be considered 'extreme'.

(1a) The manner by which free speech is championed determines whether it is extreme.

(1b) Even then, it is up to the voter to make his own decision. Some voters will feel it is not. Others will feel it is.

(1c) But if the majority feels you are extreme, then you are because politics is always about the majority vote.​

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What experience did the PAP have when it first came to power in 1959?? Go take a look at the slate of PAP MPs then. Most of them were just ordinary folks.

times have changed, last time everyone was either a farmer or pesant. being a graduate means confirm big money and job.
now graduate also cannot find job.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Peaceful protests are normal activities in an open society. You can see it in developed countries, in hk, in taiwan and sometimes in China as well.

If you feel that it is extreme, it is because you have been intoxicated after reading too much from 154th.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the situation is reversed, the SDP will also do that to their opposition. This is the nature of politics.

Do you think that LKY will sit there and say the dice is loaded against us, therefore we cannot win. It is all the SDP's fault? The election is rigged. SDP sued the pants off us. Therefore, conclude LKY, that's the reason.

If the position was reversed, perhaps LKY would be doing what the SDP has been doing, by conducting civil disobedience campaigns.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will not be any end to this argument. What is important is that you need to do your own survey and see the level of your support. And your success or otherwise depends on your own reading of the situation.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal

If Lim Yew Hock, chief minister of Singapore in 1959, had thought that the "nature of politics" is to destroy the opposition, then Lee Kuan Yew's PAP would not have smelt the seat of power in that year thru a clean, free and fair elections.

LKY is a fascist despot whose regime is steeped in corruption, nepotism and cronyism. Tyrants don't rely on "ballot politics" to impose their oppressive, exploitative system. The once every-five-year charade called GE is just a wayang!!

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

(1a) The manner by which free speech is championed determines whether it is extreme.

(1b) Even then, it is up to the voter to make his own decision. Some voters will feel it is not. Others will feel it is.

(1c) But if the majority feels you are extreme, then you are because politics is always about the majority vote.[/INDENT]

There is already an international standard on what constitutes free speech. Hong kong is a good example for S'pore to follow. Both were colonies of the British Empire, have majority chinese and the same legacies left by the British.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will not be any end to this argument. What is important is that you need to do your own survey and see the level of your support. And your success or otherwise depends on your own reading of the situation.

It's not an argument. Just highlighting realities under a dictatorship that controls the entire state apparatus, especially the police, the civil service, the judiciary and the mainstream media.

Do you know that in fascist LKY's Singapore, one needs a govt licence to conduct even a survey as you have suggested??

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me now answer this point, perhaps not to your satisfaction but it is the best i can do.

(1c) But if the majority feels you are extreme, then you are because politics is always about the majority vote.​

u earn my reputation point:biggrin:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not a politician but to answer your question, I have to imagine that I am. If so, I would do the following:

(1) Push for a longer period of campaigning...an election year instead of just a few days

(2) Put the onus squarely on the voters - your vote, your choice, our lives - for the future of singapore

(2a) it does not depend on me

(2b) it does not depend on the manifesto

(2c) it depends entirely on you​

(3) Consider myself as a statesman, responsible, accountable. Taking every opportunity to learn about my voters and matching up to them.

It may not win me any seat. I may even lose. But does that make me a lousy politician?

To some, yes. Because politics is about winning.

To me, no. Because politics is about serving. If my service is not good enough, according to the voters, then either I persevere for the next election or I do something else.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
now graduate also cannot find job.

During the recessionary years of 2001 to 2004, graduates were called the group from the hard luck club.

Not anymore now. Graduates of the last 3 years have plenty of jobs to pick from. With the signing of FTA between China and S'pore, more investments will be coming in.