• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Singapore Opposition Talented ???

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
JBJ, in my opinion, should view himself more as a statesman rather than a vociferous opposition leader.

If he does that, he is able to build upon his strengths of being able to command attention and mesmerized crowds.

Imagine if he focused his energy and speaks on issues related to singaporeans with the passion that he puts right now on 'lee tyranny'.

It is natural he appears to have a personal vendetta. But if he can transcend that and focus on speaking with objectivity on the issues affecting singaporeans, as befitting a senior statesman, this change in mindset will profoundly affect the way singaporeans view him.

It will no longer be a grudge match.

It will be that of a person deeply concerned about the future of singapore and deeply convicted enough to put himself on the line of fire. Without reward and without prospect of earning that multi-million dollar salary.

Note: the idea of 'senior statesman' is not neccessarily localized only to those in power. It is rather a mindset of any politician that desires the good of the people he serves and speaks from a perspective of fatherly kindness and protectiveness over the people. If the opposition politicians can view themselves in this way, it will be a small but significant step towards the alternative government so much talked about these days.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regarding the parallel case of Anwar's promise to the electorate, this only serves to illustrate the mentality of voters.

Voters are greedy. They are also fearful.

Education, it is said, is the key to making Man above Animals.

Singapore has one of the most literate populations in the world.

Yet when it comes to politics, there are apparently (i say apparently because i do not have the facts, only the various posts in various forums) many voters who voted because:

(i) of fear that they will be marked
(ii) their housing estate may be neglected
(iii) they want upgrading, etc, etc

Or they vote in anger because:
(iv) ERP hurts them
(v) inflation is rising too fast, wage too slow, etc, etc

This is Singapore's equivalent to voting for fuel subsidy.

It is thus, the equivalent of the pot calling the kettle black.

What is needed is for voters to transcend above all that and ask themselves two fundamental questions:

(1) what will be their life like over the next 5 years if they voted the PAP in again overwhelmingly

(2) what will be their life like over the next 5 years if there are more responsible, capable and caring opposition in parliament allowing the creation of an alternative government

The onus, as always, is upon the voters, NOT the opposition or the lack thereof.

(As a personal prejudice, i exclude opposition leaders who are forever wanting to fight and shout because i have no wish to destabilize singapore through my vote)

As we are taught that no one owes us a living, we need to know too that no political party owes us a living either.

Neither do we owe them a living.

We owe it to ourselves to vote in the life we want.

Thus the vote is the most precious thing within our possession.

Thankfully in singapore, we have that freedom of choice.

Last edited:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
sorry for the deluge of posts...

just want to conclude that as voters speak their minds, whether it is in support of the PAP or the opposition or on an ideal government system or whatever, this can only be for the good of all of us

the PAP can evaluate, the Opposition can evaluate, Voters can evaluate and all these evaluation will somehow come together and give Singapore a good, safe and stable system.

at least, that is my hope.

okay, that's all...signing off

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only if they follow Singapore's glowing example of introducing GST to pay for the subsidy. :biggrin:

I am not pro Singapore, but this GST thing I must say in some other countries, they have more of this "goods services tax" thingy. When I came back from US trip this year, I saw how some of the young men were so dependant on govt help when the economy turns bad. They are also not keen to find a job. We talking about abled bodied men, who queue up for free food near universities.

Many policies in Singapore are hurting our pockets due to inflation. But is happening to the whole world. We are considered very lucky compared to some other countries. So I would say looking at the Big Picture would be better than looking at temporary small gains.

The opposition really got to work harder not by talking but by doing. They can say the government has that political edge by being financially richer. But hey, this is how the world works. If no money, talk is cheap. The people only want action, not talk. If the opposition can fulfil the people's promises not just by talking, they will win.

So far, Chiam and Low have been doing well at their wards even with limited finances. They are trying to break the stranglehold. They sustain long not by making empty promises. A pity is not many opposition are like them. So what if the talented ones go to PAP and not Opposition?

Seriously I don't care talents go where, most important, they must do their job for people. Being in public service is not easy. Need to be cleaner than a piece of white paper.

zai_si

Alfrescian
Loyal
We cant just let the ruling party does what they think its good for the overall. The people cant follow their pace especially those lower income group. Thus, opposition should be in the parliment to voice out our unhappiness. I think both WP & their members had made much contribution in the 2005 elections. A group of new incumbent from the WP could capture close to 40% of the votes from the ppl. This shows that not all talented ones are standing for the ruling party. WP are improving as far from JBJ time. Hope to see a few more WP voted into the parliment in the next coming GE.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
We cant just let the ruling party does what they think its good for the overall. The people cant follow their pace especially those lower income group. Thus, opposition should be in the parliment to voice out our unhappiness. I think both WP & their members had made much contribution in the 2005 elections. A group of new incumbent from the WP could capture close to 40% of the votes from the ppl. This shows that not all talented ones are standing for the ruling party. WP are improving as far from JBJ time. Hope to see a few more WP voted into the parliment in the next coming GE.

Providing handouts, subsidies, jobs to the lower income is good. But not to the extent of spoonfeeding. Because no matter how much also not enough. Helping too much promotes complacency and laziness. With too much people refusing to be employed depending on handouts (happens in many countries), no one wants to work and jobs aplenty but no takers, drags down the economy.

There is no policy that everyone can follow the pace.

The govt should look at overall, more on the middle income, give perks to the rich for engaging the lower income to work for them. Rather than give them a fish, why not teach them how to fish?

Like I said earlier, the opposition must oppose for changes for the good, not oppose for the sake of opposing. It sickens people to the extent that some of these opposition are just grinding their sword with the government so that can put one down. What are the long term benefits we see?

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
That i don't agree. Literacy means something more than getting degree or phd. It means being socially intelligent and making good judgment. I know many people who are outstanding bankers, professionals, top students etc, but they still carry the "peasant" mindset when it comes to political and social awareness. They have no clue about fundamental rights, civil ownership, media literacy and plain common sense.

>>Singapore has one of the most literate populations in the world.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition really got to work harder not by talking but by doing. They can say the government has that political edge by being financially richer. But hey, this is how the world works. If no money, talk is cheap. The people only want action, not talk. If the opposition can fulfil the people's promises not just by talking, they will win.

So far, Chiam and Low have been doing well at their wards even with limited finances. They are trying to break the stranglehold. They sustain long not by making empty promises. A pity is not many opposition are like them. So what if the talented ones go to PAP and not Opposition?

Seriously I don't care talents go where, most important, they must do their job for people. Being in public service is not easy. Need to be cleaner than a piece of white paper.

So what do you expect the opposition to do if they are not elected into Parliament?

Only the political party which has won the elections with a majority can form the govt. The political party which forms the government will take over the civil service, formulate policies and execute them. Elected oppositions like Chaim and LTK can run their Town Councils. The rest can only carried out their party activities.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Providing handouts, subsidies, jobs to the lower income is good. But not to the extent of spoonfeeding. Because no matter how much also not enough. Helping too much promotes complacency and laziness. With too much people refusing to be employed depending on handouts (happens in many countries), no one wants to work and jobs aplenty but no takers, drags down the economy.

There is no policy that everyone can follow the pace.

The govt should look at overall, more on the middle income, give perks to the rich for engaging the lower income to work for them. Rather than give them a fish, why not teach them how to fish?

Like I said earlier, the opposition must oppose for changes for the good, not oppose for the sake of opposing. It sickens people to the extent that some of these opposition are just grinding their sword with the government so that can put one down. What are the long term benefits we see?

If there are no more fishes in the lake, no matter how good your fishing skill is, you will still go hungry. If there were only 10 jobs but 20 people applying, then 10 people will not have food on their table.

The opposition's role is to speak up for the people but not everyone will have the same views and so certainly there will be disagreemens. The long term benefits are a more open and inclusively society with diversified and plural views.

RascalFlatts

Alfrescian
Loyal
<i>Yet when it comes to politics, there are apparently (i say apparently because i do not have the facts, only the various posts in various forums) many voters who voted because:

(i) of fear that they will be marked
(ii) their housing estate may be neglected
(iii) they want upgrading, etc, etc</i>

(i) and (ii) are not true for majority of the voters, at least in opposition held wards. Frequently dangling of carrots can be counter-productive to the ruling party, as they will create a "everyone wants us to succumb but we will not" mentality amongst the people. This can actually band the people together and makes them want to vote for opposition candidates all the more.

Sometimes the vulnerability of the opposition candidates in face of overwhelming pressure from the ruling machineries can draw votes of sympathy instead. But the ruling party is often too superficial and supercilious to realise the pulse of the people on the ground.:wink:

I believe the more the PAP wants to force opposition to its knees, the more resilience the reaction will be. That is why if the opposition doesn't do anything stupid like getting themselves jailed all the time, there will always be opposition in Singapore.

Kiru

We need some talented opposition members like Low Thia Khiang and his group to help the people voice out their grievances in Parliament. otherwise the sillypore govt will just set their own policies and debate among their own MPs. Most of the MPs are kiasi type and they just vote for the party.

With a strong opposition like Low TK and Chiam ST together, we can have some real debate in Parliament rather than just listening to the PAP MPs talking among themselves.

Of course we also know that it is very diff for the opposition to recruit good and talented people.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
question on opposition, whether they are talented?

come on. just look at GCT and LHL. GCT is bloody wooden, to the extend, LKY almost want him GCT to go see a psychiatrist. LHL, he speaks like he has plum rolling in his mouth. they are suppose to be cream of the crop. the ruling party has got serious issue, serious problem with their so called 'talent'. so why question on opposition whether they are talented??

Last edited:

guy2100

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you define talent? You claim about managing the country right? Trust me, the thousands of graduates working for the civil service will run the country just fine. Politicians job is to win the hearts of the people by listening to their advice, win their hearts, ease their worries and solve their problems. I bet anyone in the opposition camp can do that job just as well as the PAP.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that true? Why don't u ask CJS monkey crap king to lead. Before that tell me in advance to kick off my emigration plans....

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
we do not need any talented opposition just those can bring up the issues of majorities. those daily living stuff and dun anyhow blast,truth or false just blast for the sake of oppose and get the media attention.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every time? How many times?

Whenever there is someone appears to challenge the authoritarian regime.

JBJ, Francis Seow, Tang Liang Hong, CSJ, etc, etc. All been dragged before LKY's kangaroo courts that have been damned by the Privy Council, then Singapore's highest court, as places where the real oppositionists "are put through a series of mistrials for offences that they did not commit".

The latest condemnation of Singapore's compliant judiciary has come from the International Bar Association that held its annual meeting here not too long ago.

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP positions their candidates as smart, successful and able to represent our interests. But PAP MPs are held in check by the party whip, and votes are still cast as instructed. The public call Parliament a wayang because the end-result is the same, regardless of any healthy debates.

What is the point of a debate, when there is no way to sway votes? An MP can change his opinion, but not his vote. Where's the consistency? Consequently, the only ones who can vote with a conscience are the NMPs and Oppo-MPs. With the current proportion of representation, this results in a toothless parliament.

When assessing candidates, i'm concerned with 2 things :
(1) Can the candidate take care of the constituency? Does he care? Is he resourceful?
(2) Can the candidate function in parliament? Can he think logically, articulate clearly and question sharply?

That's talent enough to win my vote. And that's what the oppo should be trying to focus on proving now. Not wasting time with demonstrations and inciting hate.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
We owe it to ourselves to vote in the life we want.

Thus the vote is the most precious thing within our possession.

Thankfully in singapore, we have that freedom of choice.

But half of the voters are deprived of this 'freedom of choice' to cast their ballot at every GE by a department under the prime minister's office that takes orders from its PAP paymasters to "fix" the opposition and "engineer" the results!!

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far, Chiam and Low have been doing well at their wards even with limited finances. They are trying to break the stranglehold. They sustain long not by making empty promises.

They are in parliament because the authoritarian regime that controls the electoral process thru a dept wants them to give the Lee clique legitimacy of democracy.

Their wards are not absorbed into the GRC fraud whereas Anson that was won by JBJ twice, disappeared after LKY dragged the opposition MP thru the kangaroo courts for "offences that he did not commit". JBJ, who was the people's choice was deprived of his seat in parliament, jailed and later bankrupted by the despotic PAP.

Chiam and Low are decorative pieces in LKY's parliament for which they get close to $20,000 each per month and a life-long pension.