• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Singapore Opposition Talented ???

A

Alu862

In some way, S Lim is the best of the lot. CST could have been, but he's aging but not improved in terms of policies. CSJ, for get it. His only goal is to remove the present leadership. He has no vision for SG after that.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
JBJ, in my opinion, should view himself more as a statesman rather than a vociferous opposition leader.

If he does that, he is able to build upon his strengths of being able to command attention and mesmerized crowds.

Imagine if he focused his energy and speaks on issues related to singaporeans with the passion that he puts right now on 'lee tyranny'.

It is natural he appears to have a personal vendetta. But if he can transcend that and focus on speaking with objectivity on the issues affecting singaporeans, as befitting a senior statesman, this change in mindset will profoundly affect the way singaporeans view him.

It will no longer be a grudge match.

It's Lau Lee who is on a personal vendetta to crush real oppositionists like JBJ and CSJ. It's despot LKY who hurls epithets like mangy dog, congenital liar, near psychopath on them thru his boot-licking 154th propaganda mouthpiece. Besides, LKY has been exposed to have used his compliant judiciary to bankrupt, persecute and prosecute those who come on the scene to challenge his authoritarian system.

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
In some way, S Lim is the best of the lot. CST could have been, but he's aging but not improved in terms of policies. CSJ, for get it. His only goal is to remove the present leadership. He has no vision for SG after that.

Yeah, S Lim is the best for praising LKY's compliant judiciary as fair, free and of world standard while the IBA has damned it for what it is.

S Lim is the best and that is why she is still working at Temasek Business School run by the despotic regime.

TPboy116

Re: Polictical issues

I CAN SAY.....our opposition parties here in Singapore are not prepared and would not do a good job even if given a chance. To see, singapore ruling parties here aka the PAP are very close to the people and having been in the mood of the ruling of the PAP for so many years, people would definitely vote for the PAP. And the uprising problems tht the opposition have been creating, i see no glimmer of hope for them to be able to break into the heart of the citizens. With unneccesary actions called for, we would definitely get fed up about the actions that they have shown.and also, they lack the experience in governing such a big country for singapore.

BUT WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS STATE OF AFFAIRS?
BOTH THE PAP AND THEIR LACKIES...DOGGIES.
ACTUALLY WE ARE POTENTIALLY THE BEST DEMOCRACY IN THE WORLD.
SMALL AND MANAGEABLE. WITH GOD GIVEN STRATEGIC LOCATION,
ATTRACTING THE BEST AND THE BRIGHTEST EVEN BEFORE LEE KUAN YEW WAS BORNED. BUT NOW HE HAS MADE IT A THIRD WORLD SPIRITUALLY. THAT IS THE WORST THING TO BE IN THE LONGER RUN.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not wasting time with demonstrations and inciting hate.

Peaceful protest allows people to take a stand on issues, promote their cause and let it be known to the govt. It is part and parcel of an open society which any democratic country will embrace.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
most of them are just ordinary folks that will ruin the country if elected to important positions.
its also not just the talent but they do need guidance but no one else but the PAP has experience

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
most of them are just ordinary folks that will ruin the country if elected to important positions.
its also not just the talent but they do need guidance but no one else but the PAP has experience

Although we dun like this, but the sad truth is the reality. The opposition try and try to remove the present govt but none of them besides S Lim maybe are able to come up with concrete plans to run the country. they will definitely ruin the country if they take over. Just look at our neighbours and you can see how much damage incapable leaders can do to the country.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the opposition feels that they can take over from the PAP and run this country, then they are living in a dreamland. And they had been living in this dreamland for the past 40 years, without success.

When the mouth is bigger than the stomach, there must be a reality check.

These are some of the points that were raised of the opposition:

(1) Opposition, show me your plans and policies! If you can't show me, I don't vote for you.

(1a) Does anyone know of the PAP manifesto? And match the manifesto year by year against the things they actually do. Are they consistent? Does it change over time?

(1b) The best brains, the best resources of the country goes into implementation of the manifesto. And they have access to all the data to finetune the manifesto.

Does the opposition has any of these?

If not, then why are they trying to implement paper policies on the economy?

Are they saying that without access to the best brains of the public sector, without access to the full set of data, they can draw up fanciful plans?

More importantly, do the people expect the opposition to have a definite paper on economic policy? If yes, then it is partly the fault of the opposition for telling the people that what they want is to replace the PAP.

The opposition cannot replace the PAP, at this time.

Please accept this reality.​

(2) You oppose for the sake of opposing. So where is your value?

This is a good point for the opposition to think over.

If you are not ready to take over the PAP, if the people feel you are not ready, then what is your value?

Would you like to discuss that?​

Once you know your value, you will also know your vision.

Then you can share your vision and communicate your value strongly and clearly to the voters.

Most voters are moderate and they will consider everything that is of benefit to them.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Most voters are moderate and they will consider everything that is of benefit to them.

i thought that actions would often a time follow the beliefs held by the individual, and perhaps even for any entity, like any political party.

henceforth, i reckoned the oppositions would have to set their beliefs, anchor it well, and then garner support from that point onwards.

my humble 2 cts :biggrin:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
And if their policies are in tune with the voter's needs, then there is no need to garner support

The support is already there

Let me illustrate: SDP went to one university. They talk and they talk. But did they do a survey at the end of that talk.

Survey Questions:

(1) Do you agree with the contents of the speech?

(2) Why?

(3) What do you feel is my shortcoming?

(4) How can I increase my creditability with you?

(5) What can I do to convince you to vote for me?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that the current crop of opposition leaders are not competent to run this country.

Before you start to flame me, do consider that point first, if it is fair comment.

Why do i feel that way?

Because if i were to vote in an opposition member, i have to consider that the person will not cause singapore to deterioriate. Governing a country is not easy. At least it is not as easy as slamming the PAP for their policies. They too have their difficulties.

I would have been more confident if the opposition did a thorough analysis, give their conclusions and proposals. So far the only one who seemed capable, in my view, is Sylvia Lim. The rest of the opposition seems filled with hatred for MM LKY. To be frank that puts me off because i am an admirer of his. It is not good to go into politics with hatred. If you go into politics with a desire to help Singaporeans, I would say 'great!' because at least we have someone who cares.

Having said that, there is another corresponding question: Are the voters discerning? But that is another topic.

Just my thoughts.

many can complain. it's so easy to do that - whine and complain....but very few could come up an alternative. they would always say that's the gabramen's job. they are paid obscenely to do it.

now the nation is screwed....so again, we can also fairly say "they are obscenely" paid to do that to us, too:(

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
And if their policies are in tune with the voter's needs, then there is no need to garner support

The support is already there

Let me illustrate: SDP went to one university. They talk and they talk. But did they do a survey at the end of that talk.

Survey Questions:

(1) Do you agree with the contents of the speech?

(2) Why?

(3) What do you feel is my shortcoming?

(4) How can I increase my creditability with you?

(5) What can I do to convince you to vote for me?

even if they did a survey, i wonder how many would honestly respond?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1) If your salary is not increased, you will whine and complain too.

(2) The nation is not screwed. Things are not as good as before. This current era marks the most fundamental change to the lives of singaporeans.

Singapore has been turned into a playground for the rich. The rich bears a much lower cost of living in singapore than anywhere else in the world. Singapore is one of the more expensive cities to live in the world. But for the rich, Singapore is one of the cheaper places. There is no free lunch. The subsidy to the rich in the sense of foregone earnings from estate duty, lowered personal taxes has to be made up for. The increased in FT has diminished the worth of being singaporean.

Looking into the future, and doing guesswork, it is possible that after the next GE, ministers' salaries will rise again, prices will rise again, cpf changes 'for the good of singaporeans' will take place, etc, etc.

But does that make the nation screwed? No, because some voters will benefit from this. Others will not. But politics is made up of majority votes. Therefore, based on the past two years, are the majority affected for the better?​

(3) The PAP is very good, based on past record. The PAP is not at its best, based on current record.

The question is: can it be made better by the presence of the opposition?

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1)
(3) The PAP is very good, based on past record. The PAP is not at its best, based on current record.

The question is: can it be made better by the presence of the opposition?

If you're at the top, the only way is down. But when you're down, the only way is to get the girl on top

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really. If the PAP can recover back its original dream of Singapore for Singaporeans, they can always remain at the top.