• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Singapore Opposition Talented ???

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
International agencies like IBAHRI, International Commission of Jurists, Lawyers Right Group etc are neutral bodies. They speak out against repressions all over the world and criticise govts when these govts fall out of international norms.

If PAP can mend and change its ways on its own, there won't be any international criticisms. Please note that international criticisms or comments are not foreign interventions.

Man u r naive.

does any of the organisations that u have listed here has any persuaive power or influence on anyone?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the factors that shall probably lead to eventual change in Singapore's political landscape in say the next 10-20years (not exhaustive but critical ones), a dynamic process:

1. Growing income gap divide (including ministerial pay pegged to top private sector);

2. Rise in the general cost of living;

3. FT/Foreign Workers/Import of immigrants to top up population policies;

4. Health subsidies;

5. Affordability of public housing/low end private housing;

6. Efficiency and standard of public transport system as the cost of owning and using a car continues to rise;

7. Greater demand for tertiary education;

8. PAP government continues to generally 'talk down' to the public;

9. Generations X, Y, Z and beyond being better educated and globally exposed through travel, study, work and the net;

10. LKY finally passes on, closing the chapter on the PAP old guard and what they did to build Singapore up.

i have no arguement upon the list u have put up. in fact i very much agree with ur list and if all these were to happened at the same time, i could see a very drastic change to PAP or the very singapore political system as we speak.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
middleclass???????

y only middleclass? if pap cannot delieve, its for the whole of singapore to react to anything and to make changes to any realistic alternative avaliable.

i hope u r not only suggesting that the middleclass has any bility to do anything here.

The middle class has been squeezed very hard and they form the majority.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
The influence on PAP govt is indirect. You are not able to see the subtle aspects of all these.

how indirect can it be? PAP has a habit of ignoring comments even from UN, so what abt all these small and almost insignifican organisations that weights next to thing in world politics and development influence?

talkshops carry no influence.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Realistically speaking, it shall probably be a dynamic complex evolutionary process, barring unforeseen calamity.

i have no arguement upon the list u have put up. in fact i very much agree with ur list and if all these were to happened at the same time, i could see a very drastic change to PAP or the very singapore political system as we speak.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, PAP does appear to indirectly and subtley react when it may appear to threaten where it really hurts i.e. $$$, economy. Although I think it is a mixture of other local factors at play as well, dynamic process.

That is why Chia Thye Poh was finally released after more than 2 decades of detention under ISA without any conditions. That is why ISA has not been used on political dissidents since 1987. That is why James Gomez was not treated on an 'exterme' level by MHA during the 06' episode. That is why gays are now being given more space. That is why protests ar now allowed in Hong Lim.

how indirect can it be? PAP has a habit of ignoring comments even from UN, so what abt all these small and almost insignifican organisations that weights next to thing in world politics and development influence?

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
and how abt the rest?

The recent policies of PAP are pro-rich and this minority being the rich and successful, they are more likely to support PAP when it comes to the crunch.

As for the poor, a lot depends on how PAP goes about assisting them and whether they are contented with the assistance package.

Not that these two groups are not important, but because the middle class forms the bulk of the electorate, the decisive battles will be fought there.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me ask you one question.

Do you think PAP is concerned whether it is treated as a tyranny in S'pore by the international community?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, PAP does appear to indirectly and subtley react when it may appear to threaten where it really hurts i.e. $$$, economy. Although I think it is a mixture of other local factors at play as well, dynamic process.

That is why Chia Thye Poh was finally released after more than 2 decades of detention under ISA without any conditions. That is why ISA has not been used on political dissidents since 1987. That is why James Gomez was not treated on an 'exterme' level by MHA during the 06' episode. That is why gays are now being given more space. That is why protests ar now allowed in Hong Lim.

I would say PAP has a habit at looking at who they r dealing with. to orgamisation that found to have no use of, PAP would just ignore everything and anything. but PAP has to play PR as well and hence examples of what u r listed r to me nothing but PR stunts which in most cases, PAP could just be high-handed by things if no one is even looking or bothering.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd rather put it that the working class, the wage earners form the majority.

this i m willing to agree. everyone is working, y classified them as upper class or middle class or lower class? y must we be so prejudice?

PAP has been squeezing everyone, the worst hit will always be the lower wage earner who will continue to struggle to make ends meet, y only make claims on those in the middle? because those who r low wage earners can be ignored and the middle ones cant?

i m against such prejudice and i feel very strongly that must there be change in this country, everyone must benefit, not just one group, not just those in the middle.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I said PAP appears to get most concerned when $$$, the economy is under threat oh and national security.

I would say PAP has a habit at looking at who they r dealing with. to orgamisation that found to have no use of, PAP would just ignore everything and anything. .

I see it as a nuanced pragmatic calibrated reaction, similar in the way PAP handles the Singapore public.
but PAP has to play PR as well and hence examples of what u r listed r to me nothing but PR stunts which in most cases, PAP could just be high-handed by things if no one is even looking or bothering.