• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GMS Selling Home To Contest Election 吴明盛破釜沉舟背水一战

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you.
If even civil servants are willing to vote opposition, I think there is a chance.
The problem now is with the elderly and those less educated who still think the world of pap, despite their own struggles in life.

don't blame everything on the elderly and less educated.
nobody has done any opinion polls on the percentages of these group that voted for PAP. Just because those elderly that you came across vote PAP doesn't mean all do.

It's like some say oppositions lose elections because of poor Malay support. But the maths tell us even if even if 80% of Malay voted for oppositions, the results of 2006 GE will remain the same. ( 2 seats won and maybe aljunied grc )

Isayso

Alfrescian
Loyal
we've yet to hear from GMS on this topic. GMS, please come in to clarify and state your views.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
吳三桂 作为汉人,却与满清勾结,导致大顺政权及南明政权等汉人政权的覆亡 他的本意是爱命惜身,荣华富贵,不是为了中国的命运。他后来背叛清朝,嘴上是说恢复大明恢复汉人河山,其实 又是为一己私欲陷万民于水火! 吴明盛 假意以贩卖主屋为民 实为套利!

GMS please provide how much you bought for your 4 room HDB flat and the current valuation! At current price you have profited from our great PAP housing policy. Stop being a hypocrite on one hand you complain about high housing price on the other hand you want to make profit out of it!

新加坡人以你为耻
:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will do my part in spreading the words in Tampines. I have many friends who are in this area. We are not able to come up with $$ or donation as most of them are in civil service but this time, we are dead serious about voting for opposition. Many of us are equally fed-up with PAP policies in recent years and changes to Singapore with the influx of FT. It is no longer the Singapore we loved in the 80s and 90s. Singapore is already losing its appeal to true blue Singaporeans and everything in Singapore now come with a price tag which is really sad. I believed as long as we do our part in spreading the message in whatever way we can, the efforts will snowballed and give others the courage to vote for opposition. Unity and peer pressure will hopefully swing the votes around.

I hope someone can create a "Save Singapore" blog/website to spread the messages high and low, far and wide - before the GE. Any volunteer?

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's like some say oppositions lose elections because of poor Malay support. But the maths tell us even if even if 80% of Malay voted for oppositions, the results of 2006 GE will remain the same. ( 2 seats won and maybe aljunied grc )

My Malay colleague told me this afternoon during the last GE, her parents spoilt their votes as they damn fed up with PAP. I told her to convince her parents not to waste the votes, but vote for the opp. Nowadays things changed, from full support to spoilt the votes, and then might vote for the opps, eventually. BTW, she stay within Tampines GRC.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My Malay colleague told me this afternoon during the last GE, her parents spoilt their votes as they damn fed up with PAP. I told her to convince her parents not to waste the votes, but vote for the opp. Nowadays things changed, from full support to spoilt the votes, and then might vote for the opps, eventually. BTW, she stay within Tampines GRC.

as I say earlier, even the whole Malay community vote in majority for oppositions, it's not going to help our oppositions win any new constituency apart from those 3.
They are losing by a good margin in the 75% Chinese votes.

The Malay votes are not the decisive factor in victory or defeat for PAP and Oppositions right now.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Apologies if I sounded so. I only meant to be technical, not arrogant.
I see, so the part that's actually bothering you is not my position in WP but the part where I said...including SDP. For that I make no apologies. There're certain things about SDP that I don't disagree with and are common to WP stands too. For example, high prices further fueled by high GST. WP talked about it in Parliament. SDP protested about it outside Parliament. The issues were the same. WP didn't disagree with SDP on that, but WP doesn't do things the way SDP does.

No apologies necessary to me :smile:

I was referring to ur sounding arrogant in relation to being free to talk your own view even though u have voluntarily identified urself as a member of WP (which frankly speaking there was no need for u to...)

Please allow me to indulge some more question since u have raise additional points:

(a) As a WP member, what aspects do u feel WP has in common with SDP?

(b) Do these common aspects mean that WP can consider cooperating with SDP and other oppositions like NSP, RP, SPP, etc, in the future?

(c) Is your personal stand in conflict with the unofficial stand taken by WP's leaders?

(d) Are ur leaders ok with WP members revealing in forums their party affiliation and possibly espousing views that contradict the party's views?

(e) If SDP propose to join force with WP in terms of share candidates, etc, would u agree with this proposal? How about other parties like SPP, NSP, etc?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reply in blue:

WP has few in common with SDP. Not none, but few. For example, in certain policy issues, practically all opposition parties are against PAP.

(b) Do these common aspects mean that WP can consider cooperating with SDP and other oppositions like NSP, RP, SPP, etc, in the future?

It depends on how much in common. At the moment, I see that's not enough yet. In the future, well, it's anyone's guess.

(c) Is your personal stand in conflict with the unofficial stand taken by WP's leaders?

No. I don't contradict or conflict with WP stands official or unofficial. There's no WP official or unofficial stand whether to support SDP. In any case, I don't support SDP categorically, only in some issues.

(d) Are ur leaders ok with WP members revealing in forums their party affiliation and possibly espousing views that contradict the party's views?

I'm not in CEC and don't come under CEC guidelines.

(e) If SDP propose to join force with WP in terms of share candidates, etc, would u agree with this proposal? How about other parties like SPP, NSP, etc?

I'm not in CEC and won't be involved in any decision of that sort. In any case, I'll accept whatever CEC decision, whether yes or no.

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
No apologies necessary to me :smile:

I was referring to ur sounding arrogant in relation to being free to talk your own view even though u have voluntarily identified urself as a member of WP (which frankly speaking there was no need for u to...)

Please allow me to indulge some more question since u have raise additional points:

There are members who joined the party for donkey years and yet not a cadre member. One reason which i know is becos these members are seen as "bad mouthing" their own party (I'm not saying Ramseth is the one). These members most likely bo chap how the leaders see them as they merely use the party as a platform to pressure and challenge the PAP and they are not going to lick the leaders' asses as his/her peer do. Ex-member Ti Lik is one e.g. and decided to leave WP, perhaps the same goes to Meng Seng. To them, they don't own the party a living and neither they are interested to land a job in town council if won. Thus, whether there is any conflict of interest is not something they are concern with. I'm not speaking on the behalf of Ramseth but merely share with you my personal views, only.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Selected quotes from personal messages to Goh Meng Seng:

I don't promise anything, but I can work hard to raise fund. Remember, it's no more the war of politicians like yourself. It's now the war of the citizens as well. I don't put in some effort, I deserved to be screwed by the pappies!

I'll work on it. I'll rope in my friends and relatives to work on it too. Lets see if there are enough space at Whitley's Subterranean cells to accommodate for all these fund raisers.

jw5

Loyal
don't blame everything on the elderly and less educated.
nobody has done any opinion polls on the percentages of these group that voted for PAP. Just because those elderly that you came across vote PAP doesn't mean all do.

I'm not blaming everything on all the elderly and less educated.
What I said was "The problem now is with the elderly and those less educated who still think the world of pap, despite their own struggles in life."
Only those who "still think the world of pap, despite their own struggles in life".
I really don't understand why these group continue to support the pappies.
It's not any less disgusting why rich businessmen, top corporate executives and civil servants vote for the pappies, but at least you can understand why they do so.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have to thank all my friends and supporters who have shown concerns about me selling my flat to raise funds for the war chest. I am touched by all of you who have tried to dissuade me from selling my flat to raise the funds. I appreciate your genuine care and support. Some of you have even offered help and donations. Truly appreciate that.

I am in a different position now, as compared to last elections GE2006. Initially I only wish to help NSP out. But Sebastian, the President of NSP has selflessly committed his time, effort and money to the cause. His actions have convinced me the necessity to put in more effort in forming the Tampines team and taking up the leadership post of Secretary General. But as the SG of NSP, I could not just ride on Sebastian's contribution and willingness to contribute to the war chest for the WHOLE party. Thus, I decided to do my part in putting in my little contribution as well. The heavy responsibility naturally falls on the leaders of the party. Since I have decided to take up the position, I would have to do my part in contributing to the overall GE effort, financially.

As explained in my reply to Mr. Tan Kin Lian posted on his blog, selling my flat serves me well in various ways. As for people who doubted my convictions because of my mention of joining my family in Hong Kong if I lose, I have this to say: it is a long well known fact that I have made my stand clear back in 1997 in my post-election commentary that I have only two choices: to stay and try to fight for a change in the political system or just leave this country altogether, all for the sake of my children and future generations. I have no regrets. At the very least, even if I failed to win and initiate the necessary political change, I could answer to my children that I have done my best.

10 years is a long time and I must be fair to my family, especially my wife and daughter. I am the son, husband and father. I will need to take care of everybody's interests here. I have given 10 years of my life, as well as my family life to "public service" and if it amounts to nothing substantial, I think it is time to move on.

Last but not least, I appreciate the kind offer of donations but technically, my party and I could not accept anonymous donations. The political donation act states that the party cannot accept more than a total of $5K anonymous donations in a year. Any excess of that will be confiscated by the government. Thus, we need to work hard on selling our newspaper every week, just to pay rent and other miscellaneous expenses. Even with that, each and every CEC members have been contributing to the party consistently over the months and years.

We could only accept donations with name and NRIC numbers stated next to the amount. I think at this juncture, many Singaporeans would not want to get their names and NRIC registered to donations to an opposition party and thus, I think it would be more practical that I sort it out myself. I am truly touched that some of you out there whom I hardly know, have messaged me privately to offer your help in canvassing and convincing people to donate with their names and NRIC registered. I really appreciate that. On behalf of NSP, I thank you in advanced for your courageous gestures.

As time ticking by, the final battle is very near. As I have spoken to many people on the ground, the battle is not about us. It is about our future generations. What we decide now will affect our future generations. If you support MBT and PAP now, you are basically supporting the HDB policy direction of getting our children, grandchildren and future generations to sell their home for their retirement. I am just selling my home to fight for our future generations. However, I need people to send a clear signal to PAP that we do not want such policy whereby the CHEAPEST housing in Singapore needs a 30 years mortgage to pay for. This is totally absurd.

Once again, I thank my friends and supporters. Don't worry about me in selling my flat. I am a survivor and could well earn back whatever money I used in this battle. Money spent could well be earned but opportunity to make the strongest political point ever could not be lost.

Goh Meng Seng

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a reply received in another forum. Interesting.

yes of cos i salute him but lets face it...how many rem JBJ..probably after he died. how many came forward to help him when he was bankrupt. for me politics is fighting for the ppl who needs help...sporean...at this moment i dn think so...maybe until when there is no job no food n majority in heavy debts then it is time to come fwd n fight for justice...even the current opps r happily collecting their salary by keeping mum n singing the same tune with pap for all the policies. so waz the point of coming fwd n fight..?

This is my reply:

Friend, until then, it's too late. There's nothing left to fight back. This reminds me of the Martin Niemoller WW2 monograph:

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS,

Go fight a good fight. :smile:

But this time if you can, please remind your fellow Alternative candidates in the coming GE not to vote for the other side hor.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gambateh_by_Toushirou10.jpg

Gambateh GMS!!!

:p :biggrin: :p

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
"We could only accept donations with name and NRIC numbers stated next to the amount. I think at this juncture, many Singaporeans would not want to get their names and NRIC registered to donations to an opposition party and thus, I think it would be more practical that I sort it out myself. I am truly touched that some of you out there whom I hardly know, have messaged me privately to offer your help in canvassing and convincing people to donate with their names and NRIC registered. I really appreciate that. On behalf of NSP, I thank you in advanced for your courageous gestures."

How about sale of limited edition signed newspapers/booklet? If you offered each for sale $100 each would you still need to obtain NRIC (1000 copies x $100= $100K)? After all there is a value to limited edition signed newsletters with photo and the free market determines the price. You could even have internet site publicizing such a booklet and how many sold.

Could even include a special lithographed Chinese caligraphy by GMS specifying luck, fortune.

Chau Ve Nist

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sometime in the 80s, LKY decided to play the race card. He appealed, whilst speaking in Mandarin - with the clear intention that his message was not meant to be carried by his English language prostitute press - to a Chinese audience, for the Chinese to come together in order to prevent minorities from deciding who would be in power. He recognise that if the 75% Chinese majority were split, the 25% minorities would decide his and his party's fate.

What you say is valid in a one-sided fight. It is different when you try to make a fight a little more equal.

There is absolute no argument that you need to win the majority of the Chinese votes in order to win any elections in Singapore. The reality of course is that you will never, ever be able to win 100% of the Chinese votes.

With the PAP benefiting from incumbency, a grassroots organisation with tentacles that reach out everywhere, an opposition in a Chinese-based party can, even with the current unhappiness with the PAP and based on my overly generous estimate, acquire only 60-65% (max) of the Chinese votes. That means that the PAP will get only 35-40% of the Chinese votes. (Conceivable? With RC people profiting from the sale of funeral blankets and even "opposition" candidates voting for the PAP, does anyone really think that the PAP will only get 35-40% of the Chinese votes?)

That works out to 45-48% in real terms. To cross the 50% line, you will need that 2-5% which will have to come from the minorities. As much as you may not want to acknowledge it or as groupthink will have it, the votes of the minorities do help determine who wins an election especially when it is not a one-sided affair.

Don't forget, the minorities comprise not only the 15% Malays but also 10% of Indians and "Others". I can't see any minority who would throw in their lot with a Chinese-based party as much as they hate and despise the PAP for turning increasingly Sinicentric.

As I have stated before, it is an extremely difficult choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. And the PAP with its track record of building mosques for Malays in every HDB estate, having prominent Indians and Malays to represent their community interests, etc will continue to have an overwhelming share of that 25% minority votes.

The proof, as the old proverb goes, is in the pudding. The fact that Chinese based parties have never been able to attract credible minorities in their parties or as election candidates is the proof that you or anyone seek.

Please don't insult the minorities by resorting to tokenism and having one token Malay clown or one pathetic Indian jester with zero standing in the community stand for elections just because you can't attract any "heavyweight" minorities into your Chinese-based party. They won't accept the insult.

GMS, as far I as can see, will never be able to secure support from the minorities to win. He is, through his own tasteless commentaries and degrading labels about minorities, perceived to be, rightly or wrongly, a Sinicentric Chinese out to represent Chinese interest.

I believe GMS is not fighting to beat the PAP but to beat other opposition parties in order to qualify for that second class NCMP seat. If he can't even win an NCMP seat, he may well do a Steve Chia.

If the PAP does indeed find him a threat, he will be hammered for his hypocrisy for profiting from the sale of his HDB flat (since he is making the price of HDB flats an issue) to fulfill his personal political ambition, as much as he, like most politicians, would like to couch their personal political ambitions as the ultimate self-sacrifice for the country and their fellow citizens. He will also be hammered for his degrading comments about minorities if the PAP does indeed find him a threat.

The PAP will cut him a whole lot of slack if he turns out to be nothing more than a PEP politician. That is the only current route to Parliament. Even KJ, to his father's eternal shame, realises this just like some other PEP politicians before him did.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sell the flat for a whopping sgd900k in the middle of the biggest housing bubble in sg's history, and you can do away with donations. and thanks to the pap for that. what hilarious irony. :biggrin: