• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crane operator can earn up to $7000!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The points I highlight are the main points where most aussies deal with. I will now expend on what I wrote..but please note this is for Perth, not other cities.

Cars

In Oz, car is about AUD20K. And interest rate for car is 10% for 5 year loan. But of course cars is a must in perth,,as its one of the world's most car dependent cities. So total cost of loan is about 27-28K AUD. And cars depreciate so basically pay 28K for a 20K loan. But car help earn money so I view it as cost of doing business but its not tax deductable.

In Spore, I no car,,I take mrt and bus and taxi. No worries about parking, erp etc etc..and I do take quite alot of taxi..so car is not a need for me in sg.

1 point to concede, Perth no ERP and just pay parking during office hrs in CBD area.

Housing

Ok I will compare average housing as in a place to live in sg vs Perth.

Perth average house is AUD500k. Can get cheaper 350K house and land package, but its far from the city and work places. So have to spend more on Fuel and public tpt to get to work. Those cheaper places are also where most of the trailer park trash live.

In Sg..average housing is HDB so buy direct from HDB is about 350k for 5 room.

Interest rate is about 6%. In sg, HDB loan is 3%. I included the 0.5% as property tax. So the repayment for a 350K house in Oz is more than a 350K flat in Sg. About 2 times. So at the end of it for Oz,,pay off the house in 30 years = buying 2 houses due to high interest rate.

Rental Income

Singapore rent much higher than in Perth.

Asset Appreciation

Much less compared to Singapore. Some property did not go up in 5 years. Only this year got some appreciation. Lack of it is due to the high interest rate. So if the house in perth, u buy and dont appreciate,,you have lost money as one have paid more for interest than the house is worth.

Taxes and welfare

For the high tax rate 30-45%, some say here can siam abit due to various tax deductions. But for people earning minimum and low wages (if single) tax hit them quite hard..also if u are on average wage,,you pay a higher amount in tax and get no benefit. Most of tax deductions is negative gearing for property,,but many have not had investment property due to lack of property appreciation.

Welfare. Now if u unemployed u can claim welfare,,welfare is only about 250/wk. I rather work and earn more than to live on welfare. Welfare payments only benefit the trailer park trash, single moms and other socially irresponsible riff raffs. Why should the middle class work and pay the highest amount of tax (as they dont have much to deduct) to feed these trailer park trash so they can sit in public housing and get drunk etc?

Health care. Now public hospitals is free, but there is such a long waiting list for elective surgery that many have to buy private health insurance so that they can go private hospital and get their surgery. Private health about 200/mth for a family and have to pay 30% of the bill. Please also note sometimes can be more as the Doctor etc can charge what he wants.

With budget cut backs etc, the waiting lists is getting longer and longer.

Also Health care is not free, as we all pay 1.5% medicare levy for the health system. So as mentioned earlier. 30% tax +1.5% levy,,now the levy going to 2%. And who are the people that are hoging up the hospitals? drunkards, druggies and other social irresponsible trailer park trash, that tax payers have to pay for.

Cost of living
Perth and other aust cities are ranked the most expensive cities in the world. 1 bowl of laksa is $10, dim sum and restaurants etc more expensive than singapore.

Just my rants,,,comments please.

Why only select the good things to highlight?
What about Aussie property and car prices?
Healthcare cost?
High taxes because they got social welfare?

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The points I highlight are the main points where most aussies deal with. I will now expend on what I wrote..but please note this is for Perth, not other cities.

Just my rants,,,comments please.

Excellent Points put forward Bro TH. I agree with a lot of your posts in regards to sg politics..

P.s. I knew you were going to bring up about Medicare, cost of car, interest rates, personal income tax rates.. because that was what I was thinking about just an hour ago after I read your reply to my other post..:biggrin:

However, there are some points in this latest post of yours that I would add on, based from the perspective of a family man running his own business (i.e. me):

CARS

Car running costs can be tax-deductible if you are running your own business and when the vehicle is used for business purposes. Vehicle used for business purposes are also tax deductible. For more information, please refer to http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00288728.htm&page=5

If you are working as a typical white collar worker who buys the car to travel to the city for work, then there's no tax deduction for you. Folks like me running our own business get the tax deductions.

Housing
I totally agree with you in terms of interest rate, but disagree with you in terms of the type/size of property. $350k gets you a 1184 sq ft HDB Flat, where you have to pay season parking for having a car. $500K can get you a 4000 sq ft 4 bedroom house with your own garage and garden. Have to compare in terms of the quality, not just the quantity (i.e.Cost)

Asset Appreciation
Folks like me buy house to stay, not to speculate and hope to sell when the time is right. Otherwise might end up like Singapore, where property appreciates like no tomorrow!

Taxes and CENTRELINK
Family man like me need the extra family income support when providing for the kids, especially when they are still young and I can't work as much, with no family members around to help out. Sigh..

People who run their own business gets a lot of Cash Payments.. you should know what we do when that happens.

Health Care.. We've seen the bulk-billed doctor for just the common cold, flu, virus infection, gastro.. at no charge (Charges borne by Medicare).. probably 20 times in the last 6 months.. 1.5 to 2% of medicare levy cannot be compared to what I spent on just my older son's doctor bill in Singapore.

We wiped out his CDA ($12k) account in 1.5 years. Didn't want to go Polyclinic due to the amount of sick people who goes to there.. plus the pediatrician who seems to be a Sri-Lankan immigrant (whose Oral English Skills are only 50% of the Sri Lankan Doctors we get here in Aus) was totally incompetent. We went there to get a referral to KK for a test. Also, KK charges at least $150 for the test. We did the same test here at MonashHeart after being referred to by the local GP.. At no cost.

Cost of Food

Many people irk me when they complain about the cost of eating out here. You cannot compare the local Singapore/Malaysian Restaurant to the Hawker Centre/Food Court in Singapore. You should compare prices to the local CAFE in Singapore, as they rent the whole shop, not just a stall.

Anyway, we cook at home almost every meal. $10 is about the cost of a week's veges from the local market. Our budget is about $50 for meat and seafood per week. Pros and cons here. Papaya costs a bomb here (according to another Samster)... but who eats Papaya here? Broccoli costs $3.99 per kg here, $10.99 in Sg but who eats Broccoli there?

I rather spend my $10 on a bowl of Viet Beef Pho Noodle soup ($8.90) then a bowl of Laksa. Likewise why go Yumcha? Go for a coffee and a pie/cake.. whats good is most cafe owners don't chase you away :smile:

Bro think you need to get out of your office and start your own business.. Don't get stuck working for someone else and making profits for others to enjoy! :biggrin: That way you don't have to rent too much. If free just go to the ATO website and read through the deductions, that way you know how much you can save by working for yourself.

Malaysian Elections Damn Exciting! Thugs, Hooligans, Counting Agents getting trapped in Counting Centres, Counting Agents being chased out of Counting Centres.. so much Drama..

Australia Elections Around the Corner. Just got visited by my Liberal Federal MP walking by HIMSELF! Was quite stunned to see him at my doorstep by himself (I didn't even know who he was, probably thought some church guy or JH Witness). Left his name card and told me to contact him if I have any trouble getting the citizenship here.. He made a comment about the Big Boys taking back the country.. I was like.. :*:

Have a good one

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aiyo bro I really don't care if more than or less than Australia, if salary in Singapore is $98,000 per year sure can stay in condo liao no more pigeon hole. KNS now I even pigeon hole in Singapore also don't have, ZERO! Can suntan at the poolside you know how lawa or not?

Bro Joetys If I earn that type of money, rather stay HDB in sg and save up the leftover to buy a house with my own personal pool in Aus! :biggrin:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah an interlude to looking at Mudland erections...thanks for the reply Bro Valiant. As the saying goes...1 man's meat is another man's poison. I just bring up those points to show that AUst is not the land of milk and honey its made out to be. And with the labour gahmen just made things worse for alot of workers. To me, I want houses to appreciate...to sell when the time is right is abit moot when the interest payments is more than the house. Buying houses is for retirement or the next generation or both..if dont appreciate..wat the point of buying and making the banks and gahmen rich?

In singapore this property appreciation is good...and everyone says worry about next gen,,but does that mean in future property prices wont go up? Might as well go up now, plan properly and give deposit so the kids can get their own place.

1 point made me damn dulan for the past few years in the perth property market is, interest rates went up consistently and house prices tanked,,,some that i know lost their houses as cannot pay the high interest rates. The reserve bank keep raising rates and say inflation this and that..so how come Aust cities are still ranked as the most expensive? Its the interest rates that are causing AUst to be expensive. In singapore,,rates are low,,so u get yr property early,,prices go up, u are not directly affected as u still pay the bank the same amount...in oz,,rates go up,,u pay more...now with the 12 billion deficit and interest rates are lower,,,how come with such a huge deficit, the reserve bank dont raise rates? the reserve bank is nothing but a jiak liao bee organisation like the PAP and its civil serpents.

Also the high interest rates has deterred alot of companies from expending..(with mining tax) mines have slowed down too...now economic activity in perth has slowed down due to the tax and the interest rate..

With regards to running own business,,,not everyone can do that,,but can establish some side line for tax purposes lah,,Boss Sam will have many ideas.I do not see why employees cant have the same tax deductions as businesses. For example, 1st and last trip to work should be tax deductible. But now business activity is dropping and alot of small business are suffering..one of my mates just lost a good contract due to lack of work.

Quality of housing Perth Vs Singapore. To me stay flat or stay house no diff..when i am back in singapore i much prefer to stay in a flat,,in a good location as in near amenities. In spore,,i walk downstairs and cross the road,,got hawker food to eat and half the price of perth,,want to eat what I just eat...in perth,,,i have to survive on pizza and macs etc etc..go the the deli,,cost a bomb. And cooking is not easy in perth as i dont find perth groceries cheap. But milk here is cheap so i drink more lah.

For a house in perth,,do gardening untill i fucking dulan,..in summer got to mow the lawn in the evening where it is cooler but still in 30 deg heat..but lawns wont be a problem in future as back yards in perth will be a very rare thing.

And like u say,,in perth everything got to do ourselves,,that is why for cars over here must buy hatchback,,so can bring yr furniture home. as delivery cost is expensive.

Taxes and Centrelink,,it really pisses me off that I have to pay taxes and families get benefits. Why should the taxes be paid so other can breed? Having kids and family is a personal decision, why should those singles pay for others breeding?. Ok u sound like middle class responsible type,,so i wont aim at u but at my favourite category,,the trailer park trash. Look at the baby bonus by john howard..those single moms get knocked up, get the money and use the money to buy drugs and xbox and ps 2 etc. Is that what a responsible conservative gahmen should do? now those trailer park trash kids are growing up,,how much more social problems will aust have in the next few years?

Health care..bulk bill drs are hard to find as they all want to make money...so i dont see the point of paying the medicare levy...

just my rants....but like in all good for some, bad for others,,like to some singkieland is the best place,,to others it is the worse place,,same as aust.
Excellent Points put forward Bro TH. I agree with a lot of your posts in regards to sg politics..

P.s. I knew you were going to bring up about Medicare, cost of car, interest rates, personal income tax rates.. because that was what I was thinking about just an hour ago after I read your reply to my other post..:biggrin:

However, there are some points in this latest post of yours that I would add on, based from the perspective of a family man running his own business (i.e. me):

CARS

Car running costs can be tax-deductible if you are running your own business and when the vehicle is used for business purposes. Vehicle used for business purposes are also tax deductible. For more information, please refer to http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00288728.htm&page=5

If you are working as a typical white collar worker who buys the car to travel to the city for work, then there's no tax deduction for you. Folks like me running our own business get the tax deductions.

Housing
I totally agree with you in terms of interest rate, but disagree with you in terms of the type/size of property. $350k gets you a 1184 sq ft HDB Flat, where you have to pay season parking for having a car. $500K can get you a 4000 sq ft 4 bedroom house with your own garage and garden. Have to compare in terms of the quality, not just the quantity (i.e.Cost)

Asset Appreciation
Folks like me buy house to stay, not to speculate and hope to sell when the time is right. Otherwise might end up like Singapore, where property appreciates like no tomorrow!

Taxes and CENTRELINK
Family man like me need the extra family income support when providing for the kids, especially when they are still young and I can't work as much, with no family members around to help out. Sigh..

People who run their own business gets a lot of Cash Payments.. you should know what we do when that happens.

Health Care.. We've seen the bulk-billed doctor for just the common cold, flu, virus infection, gastro.. at no charge (Charges borne by Medicare).. probably 20 times in the last 6 months.. 1.5 to 2% of medicare levy cannot be compared to what I spent on just my older son's doctor bill in Singapore.

We wiped out his CDA ($12k) account in 1.5 years. Didn't want to go Polyclinic due to the amount of sick people who goes to there.. plus the pediatrician who seems to be a Sri-Lankan immigrant (whose Oral English Skills are only 50% of the Sri Lankan Doctors we get here in Aus) was totally incompetent. We went there to get a referral to KK for a test. Also, KK charges at least $150 for the test. We did the same test here at MonashHeart after being referred to by the local GP.. At no cost.

Cost of Food

Many people irk me when they complain about the cost of eating out here. You cannot compare the local Singapore/Malaysian Restaurant to the Hawker Centre/Food Court in Singapore. You should compare prices to the local CAFE in Singapore, as they rent the whole shop, not just a stall.

Anyway, we cook at home almost every meal. $10 is about the cost of a week's veges from the local market. Our budget is about $50 for meat and seafood per week. Pros and cons here. Papaya costs a bomb here (according to another Samster)... but who eats Papaya here? Broccoli costs $3.99 per kg here, $10.99 in Sg but who eats Broccoli there?

I rather spend my $10 on a bowl of Viet Beef Pho Noodle soup ($8.90) then a bowl of Laksa. Likewise why go Yumcha? Go for a coffee and a pie/cake.. whats good is most cafe owners don't chase you away :smile:

Bro think you need to get out of your office and start your own business.. Don't get stuck working for someone else and making profits for others to enjoy! :biggrin: That way you don't have to rent too much. If free just go to the ATO website and read through the deductions, that way you know how much you can save by working for yourself.

Malaysian Elections Damn Exciting! Thugs, Hooligans, Counting Agents getting trapped in Counting Centres, Counting Agents being chased out of Counting Centres.. so much Drama..

Australia Elections Around the Corner. Just got visited by my Liberal Federal MP walking by HIMSELF! Was quite stunned to see him at my doorstep by himself (I didn't even know who he was, probably thought some church guy or JH Witness). Left his name card and told me to contact him if I have any trouble getting the citizenship here.. He made a comment about the Big Boys taking back the country.. I was like.. :*:

Have a good one

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro Joetys If I earn that type of money, rather stay HDB in sg and save up the leftover to buy a house with my own personal pool in Aus! :biggrin:

okie valiant20, good idea. Non resident or non-PR can buy landed in Australia or not?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
if in construction of residential buildings crane technology requiring a operator on top of the crane is an out-dated technology. Don't be fooled by Chow Cow.

Today new crane technology is using remote control where the operator (usually the main contractor worker) hang/strapped a remote control unit over the front of his body and move the joy sticks to operate the crane. The crane operator stand close/ near to the location where the load /materials to be lifted/ lowered and then move to the location where the load/ materials to be lifted/ lowered which gives the crane operator better control of the crane.

not everyone have the balls to climb up there.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
you sound like you have buyer's remorse after moving to Perth. you went there expecting to find a rainbow but your only found the leprechauns instead.

trailer park trash is part and parcel of aussie culture. you are exactly like the FT shits who come to Spg and KPKB about our system.

Quality of housing Perth Vs Singapore. To me stay flat or stay house no diff..when i am back in singapore i much prefer to stay in a flat,,in a good location as in near amenities. In spore,,i walk downstairs and cross the road,,got hawker food to eat and half the price of perth,,want to eat what I just eat...in perth,,,i have to survive on pizza and macs etc etc..go the the deli,,cost a bomb. And cooking is not easy in perth as i dont find perth groceries cheap. But milk here is cheap so i drink more lah.

For a house in perth,,do gardening untill i fucking dulan,..in summer got to mow the lawn in the evening where it is cooler but still in 30 deg heat..but lawns wont be a problem in future as back yards in perth will be a very rare thing.

And like u say,,in perth everything got to do ourselves,,that is why for cars over here must buy hatchback,,so can bring yr furniture home. as delivery cost is expensive.

Taxes and Centrelink,,it really pisses me off that I have to pay taxes and families get benefits. Why should the taxes be paid so other can breed? Having kids and family is a personal decision, why should those singles pay for others breeding?. Ok u sound like middle class responsible type,,so i wont aim at u but at my favourite category,,the trailer park trash. Look at the baby bonus by john howard..those single moms get knocked up, get the money and use the money to buy drugs and xbox and ps 2 etc. Is that what a responsible conservative gahmen should do? now those trailer park trash kids are growing up,,how much more social problems will aust have in the next few years?

Health care..bulk bill drs are hard to find as they all want to make money...so i dont see the point of paying the medicare levy...

just my rants....but like in all good for some, bad for others,,like to some singkieland is the best place,,to others it is the worse place,,same as aust.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am just putting things into perspective. Look at the immigration folder so much about the grass is greener on the other side comments. But as i also said, one mans food is another mans poison some do well and some dont.

1 thing I have not mentioned is that the work life balance here is much better than in spore..overhere its a 38 hour work week. OT is optional and not a must,,and if u do OT with boss approval u can either get paid or claim time off..in Singapore have or not?

Also the one thing I fear for Oz is with the current gahmen,,it is running the country to the ground...but elections in September so there is hope,,for singapore come 2016..will oppos win big? with the 60% I dont think soo

you sound like you have buyer's remorse after moving to Perth. you went there expecting to find a rainbow but your only found the leprechauns instead.

trailer park trash is part and parcel of aussie culture. you are exactly like the FT shits who come to Spg and KPKB about our system.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also the one thing I fear for Oz is with the current gahmen,,it is running the country to the ground...but elections in September so there is hope,,for singapore come 2016..will oppos win big? with the 60% I dont think soo

the lib party will turn australia into another singapore. then you'll be moving back soon.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The liberals are bad,,but labour is worse...I was told by one of my colleagues for most infrastructure projects John Howard did ensure there was a local content clause. For labour, they are the one now opening the doors to foreigners to come in and work. That Gina Rhinehart mine, it was Labour that allowed foreigners to come on work visas..And with the way labour is going, discouraging investments and so,,soon no one will have work be it having foreigners or now...

the lib party will turn australia into another singapore. then you'll be moving back soon.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Any chances for these crane operators to get struck by lightning? :confused:

Crackkk! Singapore is a lightning capital

Visitors take note, Singapore gets hit with 186 days of lightning per year: Here's how to guard against getting zapped
22 November, 2011

mi.lightning124843803.jpg

We hope you'll have a cracking time in Singapore... just not one that involves the weather gods.

Incoming visitors beware, Singapore is a lightning capital.

No, this isn't a euphemism for the Lion City's vibrant nightlife; we're literally talking about lightning, the type that can kill you.

While Bangkok battles floods and Kota Kinabalu contemplates building dams to counter flash floods, Singapore has a more electrifying situation to deal with: lightning blazes across its skies 186 days every year.

Certainly something to keep in mind when planning a visit to the Little Red Dot.

After all, even The Merlion is not safe from being zapped.

And recent months have seen a number of individuals struck by lightning while canoeing and golfing.

The island's hot and humid weather is the main reason for the formation of thunderstorms which produce lightning, especially during the inter-monsoon periods of April, May and November.

Wild Singapore
estimates that these months see up to 20 days of thunderstorms every month, while January and February sees only about five days.

But should you find yourself here in the coming months -- prime lightning time -- and without any advice from your hotel, consider these commonsense tips from Wild Singapore and The Straits Times:

1. Thunderstorms tend to occur between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. in the afternoon for all months of the year as diurnal heating and convection play an important role in thunderstorm development here.

2. Rubber shoes and car tyres will not save you from a lightning strike. On average, a lightning bolt has pushed its way through several kilometers of air, so it will not be stopped by a few centimeters of rubber.

3. If you're in the open, seek shelter -- but not under a tree -- or go to the lowest point in the area and squat with your feet together. Avoid lying flat as lightning can travel through the ground.

4. If you're on the road, stay in or get into a vehicle, close the windows and do not touch the metal components of the car.

5. Remove all your jewelry and metallic objects as they can conduct electricity.

6. If there is a lightning storm, avoid taking a shower or a bath.

7. Disconnect all electrical appliances and avoid touching power sockets.

8. Use your mobile or a cordless phone, avoid using a corded telephone.