• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Low SES Sinkie Young Couple Lost $$$ from BTO Flat after break up!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Couple bought a 3-room Bukit Merah BTO flat for $460k+, but lost $20k+ after they broke up​

20230628_hdb_99.co_.jpg

PHOTO: 99.co
After three years together, “Javier” (not his real name), who was in his late 20s, and his girlfriend decided that maybe it was time to settle down.

In Singapore’s context, more often than not, “settling down” among hopeful couples means securing a BTO flat early rather than immediate wedding bells.

This is because BTO construction times usually take anywhere between 3.5 to 4.5 years. So, anecdotally, that becomes the window for lovebirds to save up and plan ahead, including their wedding, honeymoon and so on.

Bukit Merah BTO​

Financially, Javier and his girlfriend were “okay”. He’s been working in the finance industry for 9 years, while his girlfriend for five.

In 2021, a chance conversation with his girlfriend’s mum brought up the possibility that they may stand a chance of getting a good ballot number in the upcoming BTO exercise.

The BTO they applied for was for Bukit Merah’s Telok Blangah Beacon in the May 2021 exercise.

build1.jpeg
PHOTO: HDB
As a single-block project, it offered 105 3-room units and 70 4-room units for sale and was due to complete in Q1 2027. The price range (excluding grants) for a 3-room unit was between $419k and $504k. For 4-rooms, it was $602k-$710k.

Not only that, the BTO project is within a 10-minute walk of Telok Blangah MRT and Labrador Park MRT. Being at the city fringe, it is near the Greater Southern Waterfront and VivoCity.

Furthermore, Prime Location Public Housing (PLH) had yet to be introduced until November 2021. Notably, the subsequent Bukit Merah BTO launch in May 2022 was PLH-based (eg. minimum 10-year MOP).

In other words, Javier and his partner could potentially sell or rent out their flat after five years of collecting their keys, instead of 10 (if the project had been a PLH one).

Naturally, it was definitely a good consideration for the young couple.

Balloting surprise​

“The BTO location was a 10-minute walk away from my partner’s home, so her mother asked her to try to BTO. After all, as we’ve read in the news, it was not always a guaranteed success,” Javier told us.

Indeed, by the end of the sales launch on May 31, 2021, the application rates at Telok Blangah Beacon were 5.8 for 3-rooms and a whopping 49.6 times for 4-room flats!

build2.jpg
Telok Blangah Beacon’s application rates were the highest in the HDB May 2021 BTO exercise, with many first- and second-timers vying for the 4-room flats.
PHOTO: HDB
So imagine the surprise Javier and his partner had when they got a ballot number.

“Unexpectedly, or surprisingly, we managed to get a good ballot number due to its location being near her parents’ home. So we went ahead with the option fee in 2021 ($1k) and then the downpayment in 2023,” Javier said.

“The cost of our 3-room BTO flat was $460k+. After paying our option fee, we had to pay a downpayment that’s 5per cent of the price, which came up to about $20k+. The stamp duty plus other fees came up to $8k+.”

Initially, Javier’s girlfriend wanted him to use all of his CPF savings to pay for the downpayment. Fortuitously, Javier and his girlfriend used the CPF housing grant they got (about $20k+), which was split 50:50 between them, to make the downpayment.

The stakes and split-up​

Unfortunately for the couple, several months after signing the lease agreement, Javier’s girlfriend wanted for them to part ways. However, she told him that she wanted to retain the flat. The idea is that they’ll hold on to the flat as long as possible but live separate lives.

Javier, however, wasn’t too keen on doing that. “I don’t want to wait for her to find another partner and then transfer my name over.”

build3.jpg
Javier shared the HDB BTO cancellation letter he received with 99.co.
PHOTO: 99.co.
build4_0.jpg
If you cancel your purchase after signing the purchase agreement and paying the downpayment, you’ll lose not just your downpayment, but you’ll have to wait at least a year before you can apply to purchase an HDB flat again.
PHOTO: 99.co
When Javier made the decision to cancel the purchase, he’d initially thought that he would need to fork out cash to pay back the CPF used to pay for the HDB loan.

So he called HDB to verify this. “Thankfully, they told me I will only lose the downpayment, while the stamp duty, after some other deductions, can be refunded. So I went ahead to cancel the purchase.”

There was however a penalty for cancelling his purchase. Javier (and his now former girlfriend) will need to wait at least a year before they can apply and buy a BTO/resale flat again.

“At the back of my mind, I knew I’d want to apply for a BTO with my own partner eventually, and I can’t wait for another year after the cancellation. So I went ahead and cancelled the flat purchase immediately after we broke up.”

All in all, Javier lost slightly over $10k from his downpayment plus additional fees (his stamp duty was refunded) while his former partner lost about the same amount from her CPF savings.

ALSO READ: Record number of 4-room HDB resale flats sold for at least $1m in Q1 2023: Here's where to find them

Lessons learned​

In hindsight, Javier says it’s better to cancel the BTO purchase and lose that money than be with the wrong person for life.

“It’s never too late to start afresh. Just because you paid for a house that has yet to be built does not mean you must remain knee-deep committed to the purchase all the way through.”

Javier feels that through this experience, he’s become a much more mature individual now and he’s confident he’ll find a better partner in

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is good that they find themselves unsuitable now.
it just 20k.
If 20k can solve a big issue, it's very good.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Gal meet a Atas Satik AMDL White Knight that rescue her from Hardland Pigeon Hole... And they live happily ever after in AngMo LalaLand

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kiasu sinkies lost $20K as a result of their foolishness. I think the ex-girlfriend intended to keep the apartment and eventually sell it for a profit. I've recently seen a number of YouTube videos where people buy BTO and immediately sell them when MOP is met, leaving the house largely unfurnished and empty. To stop people from guessing about whether the owner violated HDB regulations, the agents turned off the comments. HDB is sleeping on the job.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kiasu sinkies lost $20K as a result of their foolishness. I think the ex-girlfriend intended to keep the apartment and eventually sell it for a profit. I've recently seen a number of YouTube videos where people buy BTO and immediately sell them when MOP is met, leaving the house largely unfurnished and empty. To stop people from guessing about whether the owner violated HDB regulations, the agents turned off the comments. HDB is sleeping on the job.
mop means minimum occupancy period, not minimum rennovated furnished fully occupied period. by leaving the flat unfinished, unfurnished, and empty for 5 years after getting their keys the couple is technically tiptoeing the legal boundary. perhaps hdb should require “occupants” to shit there and flush the toilet once every 6.9 days a week?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LOL. HDB knew exactly what it is doing. :biggrin:

Daft Sinkies should stop thinking of the PAP regime as 'sometimes incompetent but still benevolent and overall tolerable'. Once you've broken the brainwashing, you can see clearly their (predictable) modus operandi. :cool:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Javier’s girlfriend wanted for them to part ways. However, she told him that she wanted to retain the flat. The idea is that they’ll hold on to the flat as long as possible but live separate lives.

$20k is nothing la. And the woman seems like a real bitch for even suggesting that. Clearly, she wanted to make a profit from the flat.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
It’s will be more valuable to hold on to your flat in a longer term than to quickly sell your flat after 5 years. Only those stupid lowly women think that making a cheap profit is everything in life :thumbsdown:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mop means minimum occupancy period, not minimum rennovated furnished fully occupied period. by leaving the flat unfinished, unfurnished, and empty for 5 years after getting their keys the couple is technically tiptoeing the legal boundary. perhaps hdb should require “occupants” to shit there and flush the toilet once every 6.9 days a week?

Good idea, time to create jobs for 'flat occupancy ambassadors' who will do routine spot checks. :sneaky: