• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

APPLE introduce NEW TABLET.....IPAD

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
omg apple cheat in its advertisement

102339-nytimes_ipad_video_flash.jpg

iPad Promotional Video and Images Show Properly-Displayed Flash Content

One of the major complaints so far about Apple's new iPad tablet device has been a lack of support for Flash content, a limitation also placed on the iPhone. At several points during Apple CEO Steve Jobs' demonstration of the iPad at Wednesday's media event, the device displayed a "broken plug-in" icon on Web pages such as The New York Times where Flash elements were included on the page.

Screenshot from iPad media event presentation

9 to 5 Mac noticed that demonstrations of Web browsing in Apple's iPad promotional video reveal properly loading Flash content on similar Web pages, suggesting either that the iPad device used in the video supports Flash or that Apple has manipulated the promotional video in order to hide the fact that the iPad does not support Flash.

iPad promotional video showing Flash content (9 to 5 Mac)

AppleInsider followed up with a similar analysis also showing a promotional image of the iPad on Apple's site displaying Flash content from The New York Times. The newspaper's The 31 Places to Go in 2010 feature includes a Flash-based slideshow that displays properly on a Mac and in the iPad promotional rendering, but not on an iPhone, which lacks Flash capabilities as the iPad did during Wednesday's presentation and in the media hands-on that followed.

apple cheat and using computer editing to mislead their consumers. SUE SUE SUE.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one thing all teenager want, even primary school

cheaper textbook, lighter schoolbag.

no kidding, textbook will be cheaper or free on ipad.
schoolbag for children will be lighter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 29, 2010
The iPad, iBooks and Future of Textbooks

ShareThe Atlantic says the future is bright and possibilities endless:

Apple hasn't yet released the particulars of its iBook app, but it heralds a potential textbook revolution for three reasons. First, if the online store allows chapters to be purchased individually, professors and students will enjoy unprecedented freedom to assign chapters rather than volumes. That would be welcome news for cash-strapped students since textbooks can easily run $300 or more a semester, even though much of the content goes unread.

Second, integrated graphics in a textbook will be another education revolution. Physics, math chemistry, economics, etc. -- these subjects are so thoroughly enhanced by graphics that I'm already getting jealous of all the kids who will grow up in an e-textbook age. Imagine a physics app that allows you to learn dynamics by toying with variables and seeing the real-time result, or a biology graphic displaying the mitosis process. It's so much more intuitive than text or a static picture. What's more, e-textbooks can be updated. In 2008, when I was an economics major, the field was being rewritten, and sections of our books seemed almost archaic. Publishers no longer have to continually issue new editions. They'll just upload updates online to be retrieved wirelessly.

Third, beyond graphics, an e-textbook allows yet another layer of interactivity. Students could save their own notes in the tablet, flagged to the relevant passage in the text, while teachers could make available online chapters with the professors' annotations built in.
There's a reason to rein in some of the enthusiasm as the iPad applies to non-traditional students, but that the textbook industry itself could now be revolutionized is by no means hyperbole.

As for publishers themselves, the enthusiasm is palatable:

David Pallai, a Metropolitan College lecturer in the book and magazine publishing certificate program and a publisher at Jones and Bartlett Publishers, says there are good reasons for the high costs of textbooks. They require research and extensive edits to ensure accuracy, he says, they are often printed in color, and they must be shipped and marketed.

Pallai says his industry is unafraid and even excited about the options available in digital publishing.

“Publishers are anxious to digitize content,” he says. “It’s a way to reach customers directly, and it will have a positive effect because we won’t be spending as much money on manufacturing the book. I think over time this will save everyone a lot of money.”
Posted by The Third Leg at 10:29 AM

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: omg apple cheat in its advertisement

102339-nytimes_ipad_video_flash.jpg

iPad Promotional Video and Images Show Properly-Displayed Flash Content

One of the major complaints so far about Apple's new iPad tablet device has been a lack of support for Flash content, a limitation also placed on the iPhone. At several points during Apple CEO Steve Jobs' demonstration of the iPad at Wednesday's media event, the device displayed a "broken plug-in" icon on Web pages such as The New York Times where Flash elements were included on the page.

Screenshot from iPad media event presentation

9 to 5 Mac noticed that demonstrations of Web browsing in Apple's iPad promotional video reveal properly loading Flash content on similar Web pages, suggesting either that the iPad device used in the video supports Flash or that Apple has manipulated the promotional video in order to hide the fact that the iPad does not support Flash.

iPad promotional video showing Flash content (9 to 5 Mac)

AppleInsider followed up with a similar analysis also showing a promotional image of the iPad on Apple's site displaying Flash content from The New York Times. The newspaper's The 31 Places to Go in 2010 feature includes a Flash-based slideshow that displays properly on a Mac and in the iPad promotional rendering, but not on an iPhone, which lacks Flash capabilities as the iPad did during Wednesday's presentation and in the media hands-on that followed.

apple cheat and using computer editing to mislead their consumers. SUE SUE SUE.

LOL, when i saw the video, i was wondering whether it was Jobs who's navigating on the big screen, hahaha. So in the end its not him, hahaha :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
make your own personal ipad

While the iPad was officially announced in January, the iPad will not be available for purchase until late March. However, it seems some iPads have been seeded into the wild as David Vogler claims to have seen one in a New York City Starbucks (photo).

If you're having trouble waiting for the iPad to arrive, Jess Silverstone, the lead artist for Revolutionary Concepts put together a cut-out of the Apple iPad that you can print yourself.

123634-paperipad.jpg

The cutout is provided in two separate PNG files (iPad Front 664KB and iPad Rear 377KB). Each cutout can fit on standard A4 (8.3 x 11.7 inches) paper, but your printer has to be capable of borderless printing to achieve close to actual iPad dimensions. The real iPad dimensions are 9.56 inches x 7.47 inches x 0.5 inches. They've even included a cutout of the A4 processor you can include for "improved performance".

Here's what it looks like put together:

125642-ipadpapercrop.jpg

Meanwhile, if you actually have access to a large format A3 printer, a Taiwanese blogger has put together a PDF that will print to full size.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Consumers not convinced by iPad

Underwhelmed

US consumer electronics price comparison site Retrevo surveyed its members on their thoughts about the Apple iPad before and immediately after its launch. It recently published those findings and they confirm a level of consumer apathy that is unusual for a big Apple launch.

26 percent of users were aware of the iPad, but were not interested in buying one before the launch, that proportion doubled once everyone was armed with the facts about the product, implying Apple failed to make a compelling case for buying the iPad.

Using an arbitrary measurement of hype on Twitter, Retrevo calculated that the launch of the iPad generated almost as much buzz as president Obama's state of the union address.

While the launch was polarising, with a rise in the number of people who definitely wanted one too, Apple doesn't seem to have captured the public imagination with the concept of the iPad as a mobile Internet device.59 percent said they wouldn't pay the extra $130 for 3G.

retrevoslide-1.jpg

Elsewhere, Tech Trader Daily reports the conjecture of analyst Craig Moffett that Apple has been developing a new subscription model for TV, with the target platform being the iPad. He imagines docking the iPad to use it like a regular TV when you're at home, then being able to watch the telly when you're on the move too, over 3G.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how is this possible?

iMac Survives Fire; Burnt, Melted, Fully operational
It's just a little melted, it's still good!

With the ability to destroy everything you own in record time, house fires can be devastating for sure. Though losing your computer is probably the least of your worries if your entire house burns down, there's still a small chance your baby might survive.

The Unofficial Apple Weblog reports that when Swedish resident Anders Norman's whole house was destroyed in a fire, his iMac survived.

In a translated piece from Feber.se, Norman writes:

"Unfortunately, the whole house and all things in there completely destroyed, so even the iMac. What's funny is that it is still in operation. While damaged from smoke and dust and partially melted, but yet, however in operation.

After I plugged in the burned power cord and wiped off the worst dust from the screen I pressed the melted start button. Imagine my surprise when the startup sound sings from the speakers! The screen turns on and the machine connects to the wireless network.

The mouse works flawlessly and the scroll wheel as well. Firefox starts and I take up the article from the local magazine about the fire ... Fantastic!

On Friday I bought a new iMac at the Apple Store here in Umeå, which I now rejoice."

imac-fire-burnt-anders-norman,C-C-238908-13.jpg

imac-fire-burnt-anders-norman,C-A-238906-13.jpg

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
w00t! we getting the ipad 1st over here in April. :biggrin:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/apple-australia-delays-ipad-launch/story-e6frgakx-1225838164870

Apple Australia delays iPad launch
Mike Harvey and Nic Fildes in San Francisco From: The Times March 08, 2010 12:12PM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email
APPLE'S iPad tablet computer will hit the shelves in Australia in late April, almost a month after US users will be able to get their hands on the company's latest device.

The company said that the iPad will be available on April 3 in the US at a cost of $US499 for the most basic model.

But there were still no official details of local pricing for the 9.7-inch touchscreen tablet, which is designed to surf the web, play video and games, and read digital books.

Apple announced that the US will get Wi-Fi versions of the highly anticipated product on April 3 but will also have to wait to later in April for Wi-Fi + 3G models. The Australian launch will involve the full range of models.

Chief executive Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad in late January in a blaze of publicity. The company is seeking to revolutionise computing by creating a new market for mobile devices in between the laptop and the smartphone.

RELATED COVERAGE
Apple announces launch date for iPad
Perth Now, 1 day ago
Apple now a 'mobile devices company'
Australian IT, 24 Feb 2010
Apple iPad 'costs only $257 to produce'
Perth Now, 12 Feb 2010
iPad already an engine, PDA and bra
NEWS.com.au, 1 Feb 2010
The tablet emerges from the shadows
Australian IT, 1 Feb 2010

In addition to Australia, the device will go on sale in Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain and Switzerland in late April. The launch dates are slightly later than expected.

Rumours that the launch of the device could be pushed back to late April have been gathering pace online over recent weeks with speculation that the company's Taiwanese partner, Foxconn, which manufactures Apple's products, was struggling to produce enough iPads to match Apple's launch expectations.

“The iPad is something completely new,” Mr Jobs said. “We’re excited for customers to get their hands on this magical and revolutionary product and connect with their apps and content in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before.

Investors agreed and Apple shares rose 3.1 per cent in early trading on the Nasdaq to $US217.20, an all-time high for the stock.

Newspaper, magazine and book publishers and an army of software developers are rushing to produce applications for the new device which will be available through the iTunes online store.

Apple said its new iBooks app for the iPad includes Apple’s new iBookstore. The iBookstore will feature bestsellers from both major and independent publishers, including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group and Simon & Schuster.

In the US AT&T, the exclusive US carrier for the iPhone, will provide wireless connections for the iPad. But there are no carrier details for Australia yet.

US consumers will be able to go to Apple's website to pre-order both the Wi-Fi-only model and the version with 3G and Wi-Fi or reserve a device to pick up at a store on April 3.

Apple said that an iBooks application for iPad would be available as a free download on April 3.

Pricing in the US starts at $US499 for the Wi-Fi only, entry level model. Apple Australia said pricing will be announced at the time of availability.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
looks cool but 1st generation stuff usually tried and error...improvements will be made and it gets better

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahaha I remember when it was $30 and everyone said it was too high.

I still have some which I bought at $30 before the stock split :biggrin:

When the IPAD was announced a few months ago there were alot of naysayers. However since then many are now seeing the IPADS advantages, some are prediciting another hit equal or better than the iPhone.

I've considered getting an iPhone but its too big for my pocket & I can't justify the subscription charges being charged in Spore. Was going to get an iTouch but I'll probably get an IPAD eventually, after I replace my iBook.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the IPAD was announced a few months ago there were alot of naysayers. However since then many are now seeing the IPADS advantages, some are prediciting another hit equal or better than the iPhone.

I've considered getting an iPhone but its too big for my pocket & I can't justify the subscription charges being charged in Spore. Was going to get an iTouch but I'll probably get an IPAD eventually, after I replace my iBook.

Let me guess, no multi-tasking, no Flash, no Java? Too similar to the ITouch/IPhone ? Most of the naysayers are coming from an IT/geek perceptive, they totally forgotten the "new" market this device is intended for. I've tried carrying around a $330 netbook around the city once. I love it, only problem is finding a free wiFi spot to surf the web. I think the Ipad would be a cool device to carry around on a weekend afternoon shopping in the city, or sipping coffee at the local cafe.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I love it, only problem is finding a free wiFi spot to surf the web

I intend to carry one when I travel. It is ideal because I like to travel light

The hotels in Batam, Malaysia, LOS offer free WiFi & of course there are free Wifi at malls, cafes,....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I intend to carry one when I travel. It is ideal because I like to travel light

The hotels in Batam, Malaysia, LOS offer free WiFi & of course there are free Wifi at malls, cafes,....

Bah, not in that part of the world mate. Anyway, I've been looking at 3G data only plan, coupled this with a Voip apps it'll act as your all in one communicator as well. Wahhaahahahah

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bah, not in that part of the world mate. Anyway, I've been looking at 3G data only plan, coupled this with a Voip apps it'll act as your all in one communicator as well. Wahhaahahahah

Well in this part of the world including Spore, 3G is still not available or costly. However WiFi is getting very common in smaller towns like Batam.

Intend to get a wifi/3G iPAD model which is more future proof.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well in this part of the world including Spore, 3G is still not available or costly. However WiFi is getting very common in smaller towns like Batam.

Intend to get a wifi/3G iPAD model which is more future proof.

Yup, definitely waiting for the wifi/3G model, oh, SG has no 3G data only plan? I thought you guys get like 12GB a month on the contract isn't it? Over here its like $150 for 12GB for 1 year. No contract, prepaid. I think 1GB a month for normal surfing should be more then sufficient. 3G can't be worst then the 24kbps days.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup, definitely waiting for the wifi/3G model, oh, SG has no 3G data only plan? I thought you guys get like 12GB a month on the contract isn't it? Over here its like $150 for 12GB for 1 year. No contract, prepaid. I think 1GB a month for normal surfing should be more then sufficient. 3G can't be worst then the 24kbps days.

To be honest I only use my handphone to receive calls & the odd phone calls. Since the iPhone is only available with a plan, I can't justify the cost.

I've heard of horror stories of those who get charge $$$ for exceeding their plan limits.

I think the IPAD(w/o 3G)would be a better solution, especially for the kids. Parents would not have to worry about incurring extra charges.

In places like Indonesia & LOS people prefer pre-pay phone services rather than post pay. In those places people move around often & don't have fixed addresses. so just buying a top up card is more practical.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPad Packed With Diamonds Costs $20,000
6:30 PM - March 15, 2010 - By Jane McEntegart - Source : Tom's Guide US

It's all about the bling bling, right?

A lot of people are of the opinion that Apple products are overpriced or extravagant. While I'm not sure how much 11.43 carats of diamonds is actually worth (so I can't say if it's overpriced), this iPad is definitely extravagant.

ipad-diamon-encrusted,6-Z-241307-13.jpg