• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

APPLE introduce NEW TABLET.....IPAD

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan hammer by usa

TOKYO—The debut of Apple Inc.'s iPad tablet computer in Japan is generating a level of hype and excitement rarely seen these days for a new electronics product in this gadget-loving nation, underscoring the paucity of buzz-worthy, homegrown devices.

The iPad Hype

Kazuki Miura, right, a 38-year-old freelance writer, was the first person in line at the flagship store of Softbank, the iPad's exclusive Japanese wireless carrier Friday.
The steady decline of Japan's electronics industry, once considered the birthplace for must-have gadgets, has accelerated in recent years as consumer electronics newcomers such as Apple, Amazon.com Inc. and Vizio Inc. have moved in on the turf with more innovative or cheaper versions of products first developed in Japan.

All the while, Japanese electronics firms have been beaten at their own game by deep-pocketed South Korean conglomerate Samsung Electronics Co. Hindered by weakened finances and averse to risk-taking, Japanese companies have relied on impressive but largely incremental improvements—thinner, brighter, smaller—to existing products.

While Japanese companies prioritized hardware muscle and superior specifications, overseas rivals emphasized user interface and software to enhance ease of use.

Japan Real Time
Is This Man the No. 1 iPad Fan in Japan? IPad Is Already In Japan, But Don't Use It Japan's Publishers Ponder Apple's iPad After already selling more than one million units in the U.S. since going on sale April 3, the iPad launches Friday in Japan and eight other countries. Softbank Corp., Apple's exclusive mobile carrier in Japan for the iPad, stopped accepting reservations for the device after only three days.

More than a half-dozen Japanese business and technology magazines ran cover stories about the iPad's debut, with one declaring in English: "Here comes the game-changer."

Lines were forming Thursday at Apple stores and Softbank outlets in Tokyo. Most of the waiting customers had already reserved an iPad a few weeks earlier, but they were willing to wait overnight to get the device as soon as the doors open.

"Japanese products are very capable and powerful, but they don't have the same charm as ones made by Apple," said 21-year-old college student Kazuto Ishimura, who was the third customer on line outside the Apple store in the upscale Ginza neighborhood.

While Japanese companies remain major global players in flat-panel televisions, digital cameras and videogame systems, they have almost no presence outside of Japan in personal computers, mobile phones or home appliances. Conversely, most foreign electronics brands have had little success in Japan.

Part of the problem, according to industry executives and analysts, is a divide between the needs of Japanese consumers and the rest of the world's.

Takechiyo Yamanaka, seen here May 27, 2010, has been waiting in line since Wednesday outside Apple's store in Ginza, Tokyo, to purchase an iPad. The iPad will be released in Japan on Friday.
In Japan, detail-oriented consumers prefer to buy Japanese products packed with features and read thick instruction manuals from cover to cover. Most buyers outside of Japan expect new products to be simple and intuitive, and they are less concerned about a product's point of origin.

"The consumer in Japan thinks very differently than the global consumer," said Atul Goyal, an analyst at brokerage firm CLSA. "Once Japanese companies try to sell things to a global market, they need to understand how a global consumer reacts."

Apple's iPhone has proved wrong skeptics who said the handset wouldn't resonate with consumers in Japan because it lacked many uniquely Japanese features. One explanation is that Apple products have become a brand-name accessory, the technological equivalent of another Japanese favorite: a Louis Vuitton bag.

"When you are the first one to get hold of a new gadget, it's important that people around you already know a little bit about the product and can recognize it," said Toshiyuki Ueno, an engineer and technology consultant, who got an iPad last month in the U.S. and has a reservation to buy a 3G version in Japan. "When you want to show off your new gadget, it doesn't quite work if you have to do a lot of explaining."

It remains to be seen whether the iPad can sustain its initial enthusiasm in Japan. Softbank says it is under strict orders from Apple not to disclose how many reservations it has accepted or how many will be distributed Friday. It wouldn't even disclose whether consumers could buy the iPad on Friday without a reservation.

Japanese electronics companies Sony Corp. and NEC Corp. have already expressed interest in creating similar devices, while Dell Inc. has unveiled plans for a tablet computer of its own, but some consumers believe the iPad launch could be a historic moment for Japan.

In one Twitter exchange, Mitsuru Yoshii, who works at a music school in Tokyo, sent a message to Softbank Chief Executive Masayoshi Son saying that the iPad was the "21st century's black ships."

In response to the historical reference to the U.S. Naval fleet that opened up Japan to the West in 1853, Mr. Son, who aggressively sought out Apple to bring the iPhone and now the iPad to the carrier's network, wrote back: "Indeed!"

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
340x_japanipad.jpg

The perfect way to both minimize your muggability, and enhance your sophistication in the eyes of those who aren't quite as technologically accepting as us. Plus, perfect padding in case you get bumped into and drop your iPad.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Obviously the younger generation don't know that Sony used to manufacture many Apple products.

Before Sony entered the PC market with their own Vaios line, they were manufacturing Apple notebooks & providing CRTs for Apple monitors.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Obviously the younger generation don't know that Sony used to manufacture many Apple products.

Before Sony entered the PC market with their own Vaios line, they were manufacturing Apple notebooks & providing CRTs for Apple monitors.

yeah apple build in USA, japan, taiwan and now china.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wait till they move to India next.

i hope not, then next time, when apple launch a product on certain date, apple have to come back one week before, due to unforseen production delay, like the sun, monsoon rain, media, the launch date will be delayed another month.

Maybe even people will stop buying Indian made ipad/ipod/ibook/iphone etc.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
i hope not, then next time, when apple launch a product on certain date, apple have to come back one week before, due to unforseen production delay, like the sun, monsoon rain, media, the launch date will be delayed another month.

Maybe even people will stop buying Indian made ipad/ipod/ibook/iphone etc.

I've noticed they blame Pakistan a lot as well.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think i have not seen them complain about pakistan. basically they complain the whole wide world except themselves. typically india behaviour, nothing new.

Pakistanis are traditionally their "rival". Flood, say Pakistan, commonwealth games problem, say flood from Pakistan caused it to delay, structure weakened etc. Mumbai bombing, say terrorist from Pakistan etc etc. They probably don't complain about Pakistan unless they are comfortable enough with you.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wait till they move to India next.

Doubt they will ever do any manufacturing in India. That country has too many social, economic, political problems.

India need to improves their infrastructure, supporting electronics, plastics,..., industries. Otherwise Apple would have to import all the components.

Heard about the power brownouts/blackouts that is common in India

Even local companies have problems. The Tata group wanted to build a factory for the cheap Nano but they ran into problems with some farmers.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ipad cannibalizing PC sales it seem.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/ipad/ipad-impact-tablets-contribute-to-pc-market-pain-20101015-16mbg.html

iPad impact: tablets contribute to PC market pain
Jordan Robertson
October 15, 2010 - 8:53AM
Few companies can disrupt an entire industry with a single product launch. But Apple, whose history is filled with such game-changing moments, has done it again with its iPad tablet.

Apple's iPad has rattled the technology world by causing many consumers to think twice about buying new personal computers, two market-research firms have reported.

That hesitation was one reason worldwide shipments of new PCs stumbled in the third quarter, growing more slowly than research firms IDC and Gartner had anticipated.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The other big factor was consumers' dreary outlook on the economy, especially in the US and Europe, which has led them to pinch pennies more, pay off debts and spend less on PCs and some other kinds of electronics.

The hype about tablets has computer makers and their suppliers worried about how much ground traditional PCs might lose in coming months and years. Apple sold 3.3 million iPads in the device's first three months on the market, and some analysts estimate Apple sold more than 5 million during the following quarter, which ended in September.

Until now, it wasn't clear whether Apple was poaching would-be PC buyers with the iPad, or merely giving Apple fans another expensive gadget to add to their computer collections.

Far fewer tablets are sold than PCs, of course, and Intel, the biggest maker of PC microprocessors and a new entrant in the tablet market, said earlier this week in reporting its quarterly numbers that it's too early to tell how much of the PC business is being cannibalised by tablets. But IDC and Gartner said the smaller, keyboardless devices are at the very least pushing many consumers to pause their decisions on buying new computers.

Gartner said PC makers shipped more than 88.3 million machines in the third quarter, an increase of 7.6 per cent over last year. Gartner was expecting a 12.7 per cent rise.

IDC put the third-quarter number at 89.3 million, a 10.5 per cent increase, which was 3 percentage points below what it expected.

Both companies blamed economic anxieties for depressing sales, and each had its own take on the iPad's effect.

"Hype around devices such as the iPad has also affected consumer notebook growth by delaying some PC purchases, especially in the US consumer market," said Mikako Kitagawa, a Gartner analyst. "Media tablets don't replace primary PCs, but they affect PC purchases in many ways."

So far, Kitagawa said, hype around media tablets has led consumers to take a wait-and-see approach to computer purchases.

Bob O'Donnell, an IDC vice president, said the iPad is hurting sales of netbooks — small, inexpensive laptops.
"The halo effect of the device also helped propel Mac sales and moved the company into the number three position in the US market," O'Donnell said.

Both companies kept Hewlett-Packard, based in Palo Alto, California, as the world's No. 1 PC maker, with more than 17 per cent of the market. They say Taiwan's Acer is No. 2 with roughly 13 per cent of the market and Dell, of Round Rock, Texas, is No. 3 with about 12 per cent.

For the US, IDC names HP, Dell and Apple the top three PC makers. Gartner's data show Apple at No. 4, behind HP, Dell and Acer in US sales.

Gartner said HP suffered a 20 per cent decline in shipments in Asia as the company jettisoned less-profitable deals in the region.

Finding ways to grow profitably is a tall order in the PC industry, which is characterised by competitive pricing and a trend toward commoditisation that hurts nearly every computer maker. The exception is Apple, which has ridden to a $US274 billion market value, second only to Exxon Mobil in the US Apple is based in Cupertino, California.

AP

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are a lot of things ipad cannot do.
like those video i download from net, i cannot watch, i can use vlc, but vlc cannot play hd, only sd, because the chip does not support hardware acceleration for any other media.

then there are the flash problem, i cannot watch naruto , dragonball kai and legend of legendary heroes from ipad.

so even i have ipad, i cannot do without my computer, you need computer to sync and transfer file to ipad, it does not take usb stick or any harddisk.

But i like to buy magazines and books from the net. It is awesome technology.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are a lot of things ipad cannot do.
like those video i download from net, i cannot watch, i can use vlc, but vlc cannot play hd, only sd, because the chip does not support hardware acceleration for any other media.

then there are the flash problem, i cannot watch naruto , dragonball kai and legend of legendary heroes from ipad.

so even i have ipad, i cannot do without my computer, you need computer to sync and transfer file to ipad, it does not take usb stick or any harddisk.

But i like to buy magazines and books from the net. It is awesome technology.

Not sure about the HD part, probably true due to its hardware limitation. But it does not mean you can't. There are a lot of apps for Ipad/iphone/itouch that would play any format video. You still have to go through itunes I believe, but it is as simple as drag and drop into the apps. It sure beats the old way of converting to mp4 with the right aspect ratio though. I think that is what you are saying?

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/vlc-media-player/id390885556?mt=8

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/hands-on-vlc-media-player-for-ipad-review-718362

Then again VLC is free, so don't expect too much about. Not to say it is not going to improve over time. My friends are using cineXplayer, I'll ask if it can play HD video.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id384098375?mt=8