• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A great article how CECA agreement fuck Sinkies

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Life is ok for migrant in Singapore. I can speak for an Indian white collar migrant and without prejudice I am as far removed from a blue collar migrant as any other on this forum.
Just to let you know I had a Canadian PR when I came to Sg 17 yes ago. I got the stamping after I came to Sg I think in 2006. I even got a job in Montreal via a phone interview, but decided not to take it as I just had my first one and my job here was good and I was 3.5 hours from India where my parents live. My sister who is now an American citizen and my parents tried to convince me to go to Canada but I chose my career at that point of time. I do not regret it.
I like the Asian values here as its not very different from upbringing. The number of Tamil speaking Indian made me feel more at home here than in any North Indian city ( I am Tamil speaker). Life is generally peaceful here.
Yes I seem to see more North Indians Punjabi im Canada?

Most first generation immigrants to Canada have a hard time finding jobs in their fields. And often they have to start at a lower level than those moving to Singapore.

Dont mind me asking between the Montreal offer and your SG job which paid better?

The other consideration is taxes. Quebec has some of the highest income taxes across Canada!

My personal view is that it much much more difficult for immigrants moving to Canada than it is to move to Singapore.

Any thoughts?

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most first generation immigrants to Canada have a hard time finding jobs in their fields. And often they have to start at a lower level than those moving to Singapore.

Dont mind me asking between the Montreal offer and your SG job which paid better?

The other consideration is taxes. Quebec has some of the highest income taxes across Canada!

My personal view is that it much much more difficult for immigrants moving to Canada than it is to move to Singapore.

Any thoughts?
At that point when I was still junior (5 yrs experienced) they were roughly equal. My Sg job paid slightly more as I had just got a promotion and I was already employed in that organisation for 4 years (2 in US and and 2 in Sg). However considering taxes I got more in hand here but also considering that C$ was more than sgd in those days it was not that off. But sometimes its not only about money. I bet that my prospects within my then employer was better than going to a new country and new job. I had applied for Canadian pr just as I left US and got about 2 years after living in Sg. Probably if had received it while in US I may have never come here. I don't know how it would have been in Cabada for me as I had been living for 5 years between California and New York. I had visited Canada several times for fun. And also most of my friends and many family lived in US. So I think it would have been ok for me. For me Singapore was easy to live in , but I had a better social circle outside India in US. In that way Canada would have been better.
For an IT professional it really is easier to get a job in Canada or Aus without local experience I think, since I also had a US masters degree.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal

Any thoughts?
Punjab and Tamil culture are as far apart as tamil and Chinese in Singapore

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
At that point when I was still junior (5 yrs experienced) they were roughly equal. My Sg job paid slightly more as I had just got a promotion and I was already employed in that organisation for 4 years (2 in US and and 2 in Sg). However considering taxes I got more in hand here but also considering that C$ was more than sgd in those days it was not that off. But sometimes its not only about money. I bet that my prospects within my then employer was better than going to a new country and new job. I had applied for Canadian pr just as I left US and got about 2 years after living in Sg. Probably if had received it while in US I may have never come here. I don't know how it would have been in Cabada for me as I had been living for 5 years between California and New York. I had visited Canada several times for fun. And also most of my friends and many family lived in US. So I think it would have been ok for me. For me Singapore was easy to live in , but I had a better social circle outside India in US. In that way Canada would have been better.
For an IT professional it really is easier to get a job in Canada or Aus without local experience I think, since I also had a US masters degree.

Career wise I would have chosen the same as you.

I am not sure about IT but certainly in the field of medicine it is very very difficult for IMGs in Canada. I think the key for you is having North American experience.

I remember early days before I got my Canada PR I tried to apply for some jobs in pharma. The question most often asked was "do you have any North American experience?"

I waited for 4 years before I got my PR. (Between applying and getting call to do medical). At one stage during those 4 years I applied for and got a job in Mornington near Melbourne. The clinic offered me the job and terms were agreed. Unfortunately Victoria was having a scandal involving a Dr Death. So they suspended all foreign doctor applications for practice licences. So it was back to waiting for Canada. Even after landing in 2008 during the great financial crisis we deemed it not a good idea to move. Top of worry was what work would I be doing? Would I be able to support my family?

I think the good part about Singapore is that when immigrants move to SG they usually already have a job offer before they move. The whole point is to have foreigners come to SG to work and contribute.

Unlike Canada where they give PR but have no guarantees about working in your field you used to qualify for PR. It is crazy that way in Canada.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Punjab and Tamil culture are as far apart as tamil and Chinese in Singapore
Really so far apart?

But I can understand because Singaporean ethnic Chinese can be very different from mainland PRC as well.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really so far apart?

But I can understand because Singaporean ethnic Chinese can be very different from mainland PRC as well.
Chinese Singaporean and prc are like Indian tamil and sg tamil, in terms of analogy. When you think of states in India, think Europe. A Greek is probably very different compared to Swede. For the last many decades since the British ruled the Indian subcontinent these states have been living as a political entity, like EU.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Chinese Singaporean and prc are like Indian tamil and sg tamil, in terms of analogy. When you think of states in India, think Europe. A Greek is probably very different compared to Swede. For the last many decades since the British ruled the Indian subcontinent these states have been living as a political entity, like EU.
Hard for me. Cos as you know I grew up in Singapore. Lol.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Career wise I would have chosen the same as you.

I am not sure about IT but certainly in the field of medicine it is very very difficult for IMGs in Canada. I think the key for you is having North American experience.

I remember early days before I got my Canada PR I tried to apply for some jobs in pharma. The question most often asked was "do you have any North American experience?"

I waited for 4 years before I got my PR. (Between applying and getting call to do medical). At one stage during those 4 years I applied for and got a job in Mornington near Melbourne. The clinic offered me the job and terms were agreed. Unfortunately Victoria was having a scandal involving a Dr Death. So they suspended all foreign doctor applications for practice licences. So it was back to waiting for Canada. Even after landing in 2008 during the great financial crisis we deemed it not a good idea to move. Top of worry was what work would I be doing? Would I be able to support my family?

I think the good part about Singapore is that when immigrants move to SG they usually already have a job offer before they move. The whole point is to have foreigners come to SG to work and contribute.

Unlike Canada where they give PR but have no guarantees about working in your field you used to qualify for PR. It is crazy that way in Canada.
Correct. Sg population growth is still mostly Employment pass holders and temporary. Even PR in Sg is not like Canada. I have to hold a job to renew PR and not guaranteed citizenship. So hard to compare the two. If you see so called FT, only 2 or 3 of 10 stay back like me. Many live for between 2 and 5 y and go away to US or Aus or back to India. Personally I have seen so many Indians come and go whether in my work place or in my condo.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Correct. Sg population growth is still mostly Employment pass holders and temporary. Even PR in Sg is not like Canada. I have to hold a job to renew PR and not guaranteed citizenship. So hard to compare the two. If you see so called FT, only 2 or 3 of 10 stay back like me. Many live for between 2 and 5 y and go away to US or Aus or back to India. Personally I have seen so many Indians come and go whether in my work place or in my condo.
I do understand this in a way. Because when I applied for Oz they would let me work there witj work permit. But in order to apply for PR I would need to challenge the Oz exams and get equivalent qualifications before I could apply. I was told that the examiners tend to fail most work permit foreign doctors as a way to limit foreign drs gaining PR. So with Oz they would let foreign drs work but not give them PR. So the risk is that I could end up going back to SG.

With Canada I could get PR but very unlikely work as a physician ever again. But I could stay in Canada as long as I wanted and could also apply for citizenship if i stayed long enough.

So in the end I asked myself whats my objective in leaving Singapore? Career? Money? Or a new life?

Decided it was for a new life. If career then I should have stayed in Singapore in my training post to be a surgeon. But that was not what I wanted. I was also thinkig about my children and future generations. Hence we stuck with Canada.

Maxico

Alfrescian
Loyal
Life is ok for migrant in Singapore. I can speak for an Indian white collar migrant and without prejudice I am as far removed from a blue collar migrant as any other on this forum.
Just to let you know I had a Canadian PR when I came to Sg 17 yes ago. I got the stamping after I came to Sg I think in 2006. I even got a job in Montreal via a phone interview, but decided not to take it as I just had my first one and my job here was good and I was 3.5 hours from India where my parents live. My sister who is now an American citizen and my parents tried to convince me to go to Canada but I chose my career at that point of time. I do not regret it.
I like the Asian values here as its not very different from upbringing. The number of Tamil speaking Indian made me feel more at home here than in any North Indian city ( I am Tamil speaker). Life is generally peaceful here.
My sincere apology I didn't know you're a Tamil. All my Indian friends in Singapore are Tamil. I hate Northern Indian just like how the local Tamil hate them, snobbish and patronizing. I have deleted all the posts concerning you.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sincere apology I didn't know you're a Tamil. All my Indian friends in Singapore are Tamil. I hate Northern Indian just like how the local Tamil hate them, snobbish and patronizing. I have deleted all the posts concerning you.
Is ok. When you think of India think of EU ( obviously not in terms of wealth) . Every European nation has a culture of its own and an Italian is far removed from a Brit in terms of behaviour. its similar I think

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why many countries reject CECA but only Singapore? Free flow of human resources where 6 million unemployable Indians every year no jobs in India. Thanks. Idiot PAP blind man.

Jiuhu residential properties high vacancy rates today no CECA signed with India. Does this mean Jiuhu not competitive in economy to get Foreign Tenants from India?

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are all kinds of people in the world. Similarly here.

There is an ignore button you can choose then you never see posts from that person.

As I said I hope you stay to provide other views.

We dont have to keep talkig about CECA and immigration from India.

There are other threads here as well.

I did ask this question

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/is...od-for-most-singaporeans.308974/#post-3455146

And for all the complaints and kpkb almost everyone agreed life in SG is still pretty good or fantastic! You are welcome to share your thoughts there too.

There is also this thread

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/my...d-for-sharing-your-meals-food-cooking.308192/

Share the nice meals you have in Singapore. Food is something all Singaporeans love to indulge.

There are also many current topics posted now and then.

Surely you have views in them as well.

Always nice to see a different view point.
U are a loser to start off with.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore system actually needs cheap labor. Like maids. Construction workers. Cleaners. These type of jobs Singaporeans do want foreigners to go to Singapore and take them.

But higher paying jobs professional jobs they dont want foreigners.

The companies though dont mind and I think prefer foreigners. Foreigners have more experience. Eg for yourself you were from the USA actually not India.

I think over time more professionals from India will move to Singapore. It is inevitable. Just hope that the ones moving are of good standard job performance wise.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...ations-ntuc-snef-unemployment-support-2257976

@asenmaga

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi thanks for highlighting the news, but in my opinion, the MIW are very good in motherhood and PR statement...you need to see what their actions are ... it is usually the reverse quietly behind the scene... The man that wear pink often , have stated 10 years ago he realized the problem and he is going to solve it....ten years down the road he used his old speech, amended some and repeat the same message again.....

SO don't trust them....that is all I can say.....You only need to look no further than the recent DPM Heng's speech about having a Singapore Core , he wants to be less strict with the definition of "core" meaning... he wants to consider , citizen, PR and also resident workers....basically anyone that workers in SG.

This part below I just added.....

The recent case of the dormitory ....whereby they send riot troops to surround the dormitory . Did not in 2020, the man in Pink promised that the foreign workers will be treated better and yet the same thing is happening....and than the Manpower Minister Dr Tan , went there and addressed the workers at the dormitory as Brothers...
Do you send the riot troops to surround them , when there was no riot, do you do such things to your brothers ?
As I said look at their action not their words....they are great at PR motherhood statement.

Look at what the China Embassy have done... they didnt make any PR or motherhood statement... their action proves they care, they send carton of medication to all the workers in the dormitory.

If your brothers are sick, you don't go there to make promises and PR statement... it should be , to send in medical staff and medical supply to treat them.

Last edited: