• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A great article how CECA agreement fuck Sinkies

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since you asking me , I can only express my opinion what i went thru. I would say the golden period for Local born Singaporean would be during the period 1980s to early 2010 (there about).

I think Government always "throw smoked bombs" ... Nobody have said that NO foreigners are needed. Even Woody have clearly stated in one of
his books if I am not wrong that he brought the issue of too many foreigners' , be it PR or new citizen to Pinky...and he agreed indeed, but he didnt do anything about it for the last twenty years.

During the start of my career in the Financial sector in the 1980s, we already have foreigners working on Expats term. There was no disquiet nor people complaining about it. During those periods locals have many opportunities in the financial sector fresh out from school,. There is no such excuses being given for someone fresh out from school that you don't have experience. Most organization take in freshies and trained them.

Current situation is totally different, as there is uncontrolled influx for foreigners in the sectors that most Singaporean can do . It cannot be for a Singaporean to have all the National Service/Reservist obligations and yet to compete with a foreigner with neither and also the cost of owning homes.

I don't really agree that a MNC bank will move away from Singapore if it didn't get to employ someone they need. MAS have rejected many applications before during my time for various senior positions if they think it is not suitable, you didn't see any Banks relocate because of staff
issue even employee of higher levels.

I remembered a case on an American Bank who wanted to hire a top staff from MAS in their Singapore office , MAS objected. The American bank than hired the Singaporean in their Japanese Office instead. That American bank did NOT packed up and leave.

In the Asian Time Zone, there is only two financial centers that stands out , Singapore and Hong Kong.
After 1997 China have become an issue for HK so it was a case some chose Singapore as a regional center while other chose HK for her ease of entry to the Chinese market. So really the Government propaganda of saying that if we don't allow foreigners in , these banks will relocate....
doesnt really holds... where else do you think they cant relocate to ?
If we are talking about labor intensive industries, sure ...in any case Singapore cannot be in this market...because of land cost and populations.

In any case , Singapore and HK was already among the top financial centers in the world , it make no sense that Singaporean graduates loose out to the India Indian when India have never been a financial powerhouse till to date... so either the education system in India have prepare or educated her citizen better ?

Apart from one middle east country that is overwhelmed by foreigners , I don't think any other countries allow easy access to job markets like Singapore. The difference is the middle east government take care of her citizen.

Below is a posting by one veteran in the financial sector . Do note that he was from MAS and GIC before, so likely a Pro Government before.
Do note also that Only the very BEST of Singaporean during those time are able to join this two organization. You can search his name
on Facebook and read his post. I am unable to post the link... so here is a copy from his posting.
View attachment 124061

Even during my time, whenever there is a financial crisis , and banks are supposed to take a hit by downsizing....Singapore has always been the ones that bear the major proportion of the retrenchment, reasons being , we have a Government that has always being Pro Employers vs workers and weak labor union where else in all other countries like Europe, USA and Australia they need to pay huge amount and you cant remove as you wish unlike Singapore .

Ps . If I am not wrong, you were once a Medical Professional from Singapore that migrated to Canada....but unlike Singapore , Canada have stricter
employment rules for foreigners ie.. they don't recognize your overseas qualification. Here in Singapore ....even fake certificate they don't even check.
To your comment that Indian from India are not qualified to compete with local beCuse India is not a financial centre would also mean that, apart from people who worked din London, Ny, HK or Tokyo no one else should work in Sg financial top jobs. Is that right. Because the above are the only international financial centres of repute.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
To your comment that Indian from India are not qualified to compete with local beCuse India is not a financial centre would also want that, apart from people who worked din London, Ny, HK or Tokyo no one else should work in Sg financial top jobs. Is that right. Because the above are the only international financial centres of repute.
Didnt you say that for many Indians USA is first choice?

Why not Singapore? I think there should be bigger push and promotion to make Singapore the #1 choice for all Indian professionals.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Singapore is a very tiny market. There are 3 million Indian in US.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Americans
Singapire used to be only a popular among the blue collar workers from Tamil Nadu. Only after 2005 the more educated Indians have recognised Sg as an option primarily because of large mnc opening offices. Having said that Sg is still not high in pu lic recall in most of India like US, EU or the Gulf
Then Singapore government needs to work harder to make it go up higher in India public preference list.

So whats holding Singapore back comparee to US EU or Gulf?

You should be well placed to suggest how to improve Singapore's ranking.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
All my extended family and relative still live in Singapore. My siblings got Canada PR moved to Canada for a year or two had jobs here. But decided to move back to Singapore. They kept complaining that the work in Canada was too hard. They said they had never worked so hard in their lives until moving to Canada. They said work life balance in Singapore is much better. They also complained that the salary in Canada is not high and taxes are high. Singapore salary is much higher and taxes are low. They never complained about CECA. In fact I recently asked and nobody complained about CECA. They said it is ok. I tried for 3 years to get my parents Canada PR. Was not successful in many of the lotteries for Parent/Grandparent sponsorship program. But when they had one year they switched to First come first serve I got it. My parents got their PR and landed in 2020. But they too decided it is better to live in Singapore.

I know where you are coming from. Many Singaporeans will say if you are a foreigner you have no right to comment about Singapore. I agree to some extent. However, I do have eyes and ears in Singapore who are close to me. And they say it is ok still. And they have compared Canada with Singapore and said Singapore is much much better.

Maybe you don't go to Changi Business Park and MBFC? It is like not going to Little India? I know I only went to Mustafa once ever when I was still in SG. Wah lau went liao I told myself dont ever go! No discount is worth that experience! LOL!

Singapore still ok lah. Otherwise you will see many Singaporeans wanting to leave. So far that is definitely NOT THE CASE.
Your parents are not in direct competition with the new Indians, save for public space. They are not competing for jobs, competing for promotion, competing for spouse, competing for business opportunities etc of course they can put up their legs and rest easy while fresh tenants fuel their retirement by renting their second homes. U simply cannot assume everyone benefits from this relationship positively. It is positive for some negative for others and in their own eyes there is no "net positive". Your assessment is likewise tainted.

safsaf74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol, what you consider propaganda is what I see as reality. You are lucky to be a citizen of Sg.
Any one can abuse, but only some can articulate intelligently and discuss and debate an issue. I don't know what you lost or what your problem is , but the answer is probably within yourself.
Fuck you Fucking Basturd!!! Fuck off back to India you CECA trash from India!!!

Fuck off back to India and eat cow shit and drink cow piss, you CECA trash from India!!!

I have reported you to the ISD. You will be arrested and deported soon for being a foreigner and interfering in Singapore’s internal affairs.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ranking for what? If you're being sarcastic it's ok. People migrate for various reasons the chief aning them is economic migration and opportunity. There are many migrants to the west who are economic and self down there permanently. Prople migrate also for political reasons and some like yourself for personal preference. In the gulf there is no permanent residence.
Singapore has done well and is importing workers like maids, construction workers and recently pmet to fulfil their need. It is being well debated whether the need is there or not.
Singapore system actually needs cheap labor. Like maids. Construction workers. Cleaners. These type of jobs Singaporeans do want foreigners to go to Singapore and take them.

But higher paying jobs professional jobs they dont want foreigners.

The companies though dont mind and I think prefer foreigners. Foreigners have more experience. Eg for yourself you were from the USA actually not India.

I think over time more professionals from India will move to Singapore. It is inevitable. Just hope that the ones moving are of good standard job performance wise.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore system actually needs cheap labor. Like maids. Construction workers. Cleaners. These type of jobs Singaporeans do want foreigners to go to Singapore and take them.

But higher paying jobs professional jobs they dont want foreigners.

The companies though dont mind and I think prefer foreigners. Foreigners have more experience. Eg for yourself you were from the USA actually not India.

I think over time more professionals from India will move to Singapore. It is inevitable. Just hope that the ones moving are of good standard job performance wise.
Firstly I am still from India till I did my undergrad. Then I did my masters in US and worked there for 3 years. Its a very typical middle class route to better prospects for Indians. I did work for a couple yrs in India overall before going to US. So my foundation is still from India but my experience and higher learning from US and Singapore.
It's a symbiotic relation between MNC and Singapore and one should not apply same yardstick between how the west deals with immigration and how Sg can because of obvious size related reasons. Personally if the import of PMET is stopped today I will gain tremendously because I plan ( hope) to work another 8 or 10 years till at least one of my boys finish college. If its stopped, salaries for professionals like myself will jump through the roof especially in cyber sec and cloud deployment. The number of cyber sec and cloud certifications from India is staggering as of today. But over the next few years it will show because the local talent although much better don't have numbers for this type of jobs as I have said many times in previous posts. But Sg will adapt to make its workforce even more skilled to perform ultra productive jobs. I think the last 15 years was an interim period to mark the phase 1 of development from 80s to 2010.
The movement of professional from India is already dwindled. Most large companies do not take staff from India especially on ICT unless absolutely necessary. I can see it clearly in mine. All the production support ond ITIL related jobs that brought in Indians in 1000s in the '00s are mostly offshored. Singapore will continue to prosper in its own niche way because they have the knack of swiftly adopting new trends and brutally culling overheads ( I this case immigration based jobs) . I have no doubt that they will succeed. They will also bring down the population and stop bringing foreign pmet from India but continue bringing Western managers in order to be taught by them and adopt technology and processes.
Anyways this is my last post on his topic as some people do not want a non local to comment on this. Thanks for the understanding. Have a great day.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Firstly I am still from India till I did my undergrad. Then I did my masters in US and worked there for 3 years. Its a very typical middle class route to better prospects for Indians. I did work for a couple yrs in India overall before going to US. So my foundation is still from India but my experience and higher learning from US and Singapore.
It's a symbiotic relation between MNC and Singapore and one should not apply same yardstick between how the west deals with immigration and how Sg can because of obvious size related reasons. Personally if the import of PMET is stopped today I will gain tremendously because I plan ( hope) to work another 8 or 10 years till at least one of my boys finish college. If its stopped, salaries for professionals like myself will jump through the roof especially in cyber sec and cloud deployment. The number of cyber sec and cloud certifications from India is staggering as of today. But over the next few years it will show because the local talent although much better don't have numbers for this type of jobs as I have said many times in previous posts. But Sg will adapt to make its workforce even more skilled to perform ultra productive jobs. I think the last 15 years was an interim period to mark the phase 1 of development from 80s to 2010.
The movement of professional from India is already dwindled. Most large companies do not take staff from India especially on ICT unless absolutely necessary. I can see it clearly in mine. All the production support ond ITIL related jobs that brought in Indians in 1000s in the '00s are mostly offshored. Singapore will continue to prosper in its own niche way because they have the knack of swiftly adopting new trends and brutally culling overheads ( I this case immigration based jobs) . I have no doubt that they will succeed. They will also bring down the population and stop bringing foreign pmet from India but continue bringing Western managers in order to be taught by them and adopt technology and processes.
Anyways this is my last post on his topic as some people do not want a non local to comment on this. Thanks for the understanding. Have a great day.
Thanks for contributing. Dont get angry lah.

Forum is like that one. Lots of rude comments. People speak their minds. Sam allows vulgarities and racism here.

Truly total free speech.

I hope you continue to share your views because it is very important to have the other side of things. I think you are the only Indian national professional in this forum.

Need balance of views.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for contributing. Dont get angry lah.

Forum is like that one. Lots of rude comments. People speak their minds. Sam allows vulgarities and racism here.

Truly total free speech.

I hope you continue to share your views because it is very important to have the other side of things. I think you are the only Indian national professional in this forum.

Need balance of views.
No I am not angry, it's just that it is a waste of my time if people can only abuse rather than discuss a differing point of view. I have only had some good discussion with you and one other asenmaga.
I know its free speech, but it needs to stimulate my mind not cause a bad feeling at the end of it. Irrespective of background one has to respect another person.
So I think it's best for me to refrain.thanks again.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
No I am not angry, it's just that it is a waste of my time if people can only abuse rather than discuss a differing point of view. I have only had some good discussion with you and one other asenmaga.
I know its free speech, but it needs to stimulate my mind not cause a bad feeling at the end of it. Irrespective of background one has to respect another person.
So I think it's best for me to refrain.thanks again.

There are all kinds of people in the world. Similarly here.

There is an ignore button you can choose then you never see posts from that person.

As I said I hope you stay to provide other views.

We dont have to keep talkig about CECA and immigration from India.

There are other threads here as well.

I did ask this question

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/is...od-for-most-singaporeans.308974/#post-3455146

And for all the complaints and kpkb almost everyone agreed life in SG is still pretty good or fantastic! You are welcome to share your thoughts there too.

There is also this thread

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/my...d-for-sharing-your-meals-food-cooking.308192/

Share the nice meals you have in Singapore. Food is something all Singaporeans love to indulge.

There are also many current topics posted now and then.

Surely you have views in them as well.

Always nice to see a different view point.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are all kinds of people in the world. Similarly here.

There is an ignore button you can choose then you never see posts from that person.

As I said I hope you stay to provide other views.

We dont have to keep talkig about CECA and immigration from India.

There are other threads here as well.

I did ask this question

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/is...od-for-most-singaporeans.308974/#post-3455146

And for all the complaints and kpkb almost everyone agreed life in SG is still pretty good or fantastic! You are welcome to share your thoughts there too.

There is also this thread

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/my...d-for-sharing-your-meals-food-cooking.308192/

Share the nice meals you have in Singapore. Food is something all Singaporeans love to indulge.

There are also many current topics posted now and then.

Surely you have views in them as well.

Always nice to see a different view point.
Absolutely, I shall look at other topics as well.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Absolutely, I shall look at other topics as well.
Thank you!

Just ignore the haters. Usually can tell who rhey are. Only one track mind when it comes to what they post about. And personally the more vulgar and rude the post is the less relevant it becomes and it is a reflection of the person posting.

There are other things to talk about. It is after like a coffee shop.

I do hope to hear more how life is like for people who have migrated to Singapore.

Sgpind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you!

Just ignore the haters. Usually can tell who rhey are. Only one track mind when it comes to what they post about. And personally the more vulgar and rude the post is the less relevant it becomes and it is a reflection of the person posting.

There are other things to talk about. It is after like a coffee shop.

I do hope to hear more how life is like for people who have migrated to Singapore.
Life is ok for migrant in Singapore. I can speak for an Indian white collar migrant and without prejudice I am as far removed from a blue collar migrant as any other on this forum.
Just to let you know I had a Canadian PR when I came to Sg 17 yes ago. I got the stamping after I came to Sg I think in 2006. I even got a job in Montreal via a phone interview, but decided not to take it as I just had my first one and my job here was good and I was 3.5 hours from India where my parents live. My sister who is now an American citizen and my parents tried to convince me to go to Canada but I chose my career at that point of time. I do not regret it.
I like the Asian values here as its not very different from upbringing. The number of Tamil speaking Indian made me feel more at home here than in any North Indian city ( I am Tamil speaker). Life is generally peaceful here.